Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A Comic Cover A Day (is awesome)

Comments

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    And his most well-known cover:
  • Options
    And, of course, the traditional highlight of Heroes Con, I got to hang out with Buzz.

• Options
    I saw Neal Adams at the pre party for the Denver Comic Con. What a thrill it was to meet him.
    I get to meet him at HeroesCon this Saturday. I'll probably babble idiotically.*

*I know. I know. Go ahead and say it.
    That’s okay, so will Neal.
    You did not just go there!
    Oh, yes, I did! Just ask him about physics. I dare you!
    As it turns out, I didn't talk to him. My old knees can only handle so much line standing.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Nick Cardy. (Who I met Saturday. What a sweet guy!)
    Nick is the best. For those who don’t know, he drew over 300 covers for DC, most of them during the mid-’60s to early ’70s. It was near the tail-end of his time there that I started reading comics, and so much of what I love about the DC characters stems from his (along with Jim Aparo’s) work. I’m glad you got to meet him, Stewart, because this may well have been his last convention.

I need to figure out to post images. I'd like to show the cover of Superman #279, which was one of my favorite covers when I was a wee lad. (And it’s still pretty cool.)
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Nick is the best. For those who don’t know, he drew over 300 covers for DC, most of them during the mid-’60s to early ’70s. It was near the tail-end of his time there that I started reading comics, and so much of what I love about the DC characters stems from his (along with Jim Aparo’s) work. I’m glad you got to meet him, Stewart, because this may well have been his last convention.
    He seemed incredibly sharp, and in pretty good shape for a man in his 90s!
  • Options
    I need to figure out to post images. I'd like to show the cover of Superman #279, which was one of my favorite covers when I was a wee lad. (And it’s still pretty cool.)
    Here you go!

• Options
    Yet more Nick Cardy... just because:

• Options
    edited June 2012

I consider this one of the most beautiful comic book covers ever.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
  • Options

By the way, his interior art was phenomenal as well.

The man knew how to tell a story!
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Here you go!

Wow! Never seen this before now. It's awesome.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    edited June 2012

Another one I've never seen before. Love it. Could be hanging in a gallery. There is so much beauty in comics.
    LOVE IT!

• Options
    Here you go!

Wow! Never seen this before now. It's awesome.
    It's another one I bought off the newsstand.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    He seemed incredibly sharp, and in pretty good shape for a man in his 90s!
    I talk with him every couple of months, and there’s been a noticeable dropoff in his health over the past two years. Travelling is becoming very hard for him. Thankfully, he’s still pretty sharp mentally.

Likewise, and that story is one of Nick’s favorites that he worked on. Bat Lash was a great series. There’s a Showcase volume available that collects the entire run, which I heartily recommend. I bought it even though I have all the issues, just so I could see it all in black-&-white. Nick is his own best inker, and this is probably his best sequential work. He even wrote one of the issues.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Does Lil Sprout also show up in the issue?

• Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    I believe that cover has never been reprinted in any collections due to legal reasons (copyright infringement) IIRC?

• Options
    JamfebJamfeb Posts: 24
    I'm gonna sound like an idiot but how do you post a pic?
  • Options
    FlintlockjawFlintlockjaw Posts: 247

I believe that cover has never been reprinted in any collections due to legal reasons (copyright infringement) IIRC?

You are correct, Sir! The two Bolland issues of Dredd dealing with a homicidal Colonel Sanders and the Michelin Man, and McMahons 'MacDonalds vs Burger King' episodes were indeed banned. However, with a little twisting of my arm I can post them both here...for er... historical reasons only...ahem.

• Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Nick Cardy!

This might be my favorite drawing of Black Canary, EVER!
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    More Nick Cardy
    Neal Adams
    Bernie Wrightson
    Even more Cardy
    This book has interiors by Cardy & Kane. One of the most beautiful comics ever drawn.
  • Options
    I'm gonna sound like an idiot but how do you post a pic?
    @Jamfeb
    Copy and paste the image url into the reply box.
    Then highlight the url you have just pasted, and click the little picture icon at the top of the reply box.
    That will surround your image url with the correct tags.
    Click post and you are done.
  • Options
    Like this from Jim Aparo in October 1975

• Options

You are correct, Sir! The two Bolland issues of Dredd dealing with a homicidal Colonel Sanders and the Michelin Man, and McMahons 'MacDonalds vs Burger King' episodes were indeed banned. However, with a little twisting of my arm I can post them both here...for er... historical reasons only...ahem.

*twist*
  • Options
    Nick Cardy!

This might be my favorite drawing of Black Canary, EVER!
    That was a great series of covers.
  • Options
    More Nick Cardy
    I like the fact that both Hawkcouples are there.
  • Options
    JamfebJamfeb Posts: 24
    This is the 2nd comic I ever bought. Thanks to @Caliban for showing me how to post.