Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Silver and Bronze Age Thread

Comments

• Options
    RobAndersonRobAnderson Posts: 553

I was obsessed with the Christmas Marvel treasuries... I read one in the 4th grade, and was having (35 years later) recurring dreams about them... and thinking about them often... weird, huh?

So, my wife called up Mile High, and tried to buy the Marvel Holiday Grab Bag, and they sent her the wrong treasury... Cap's Bicentennial Battles... Mint condition. So she called them, and they said "Sorry...just keep it, we'll send the right one". Wrong again. And again. And again. Finally, they sent the one she paid for, along with ALL of the Holiday Grab Bags, just for good measure. By the time we were done, they had sent 10 different, all mint condition, Marvel treasuries: Fantastic Four, Conan, Dr. Strange, Spider-Man, Cap's Bicentennial Battles, Thor, 3 Holiday Grab Bags, and Avengers. They told her to just keep all of them, and I got them for Christmas.

Mile High is good people.
    @Tonebone That's a great story!

Looks like I only have 4 left -- Avengers, Defenders, Howard the Duck (which had an original story in it featuring the Defenders) and the Spider-Man/Superman cross-over. The latter, though, I got signed by Stan Lee and John Romita, Sr. back in the 70's. Although, honestly, it's a rag from childhood re-readings at this point...

• Options
    TrevTrev Posts: 310

I will still have to track down a copy. Any Ditko art is good. And with it being oversized that makes it even better.
    I wish I still owned all the Treasury Editions I had as a kid! I only have a couple left now (and not the Dr. Strange one...)

I was obsessed with the Christmas Marvel treasuries... I read one in the 4th grade, and was having (35 years later) recurring dreams about them... and thinking about them often... weird, huh?

So, my wife called up Mile High, and tried to buy the Marvel Holiday Grab Bag, and they sent her the wrong treasury... Cap's Bicentennial Battles... Mint condition. So she called them, and they said "Sorry...just keep it, we'll send the right one". Wrong again. And again. And again. Finally, they sent the one she paid for, along with ALL of the Holiday Grab Bags, just for good measure. By the time we were done, they had sent 10 different, all mint condition, Marvel treasuries: Fantastic Four, Conan, Dr. Strange, Spider-Man, Cap's Bicentennial Battles, Thor, 3 Holiday Grab Bags, and Avengers. They told her to just keep all of them, and I got them for Christmas.

Mile High is good people.
    This is the best mile high post I have ever read.

• Options
    phansfordphansford Posts: 221
    I have to say that I have only had positive experiences with Mile High - both buying and selling.
  • Options
    BadDeaconBadDeacon Posts: 120
    I'm almost certain that there is a run of white ink on that Cap 111 cover. I'll double check again tonight, but last time I looked closely, I was sure.
    Yeah, so I was wrong. No white ink on Cap 111. I found my copy last night, and looked closer. So, yeah, my bad.

• Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    I have to say that I have only had positive experiences with Mile High - both buying and selling.
    I have had good and bad experiences with them. One time I ordered a book from them that was suppose to be in Fine condition. When I got it ,it had a rip in the back cover that went from the top to almost the bottom. That was the last time I ordered from them. I now either use Mycomicshop or Ebay when I get back issues online.

• Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    edited June 2012
    Yesterday I went to a local monthly comic show and I got the following on a $5 tables from Fearless Readers.

FF 81 and 84
    Journey Into Mystery 121
    Tales of Suspense 66

These were nice reader copies and I read the FF's last night. Reed, Johnny and Ben with Crystal fighting the Wingless Wizard in #81 and #84 was a Dr. Doom when he captured the team and brainwashed them into thinking they lost their powers.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    These were nice reader copies and I read the FF's last night. Reed, Johnny and Ben with Crystal fighting the Wingless Wizard in #81 and #84 was a Dr. Doom when he captured the team and brainwashed them into thinking they lost their powers.
    I have that whole Doom storyline, it's one of my favorites. Basically, Jack drew the FF as running around in the Village from "The Prisoner." It's a nice little look at what could have been if he had actually been able to do that Prisoner comic adaptation he drew a few pages for.
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    I have that whole Doom storyline, it's one of my favorites. Basically, Jack drew the FF as running around in the Village from "The Prisoner." It's a nice little look at what could have been if he had actually been able to do that Prisoner comic adaptation he drew a few pages for.
    Back in the day when I read the reprint I didn't get that reference so while not having watched The Prisoner that much i I get the reference now. That's awesome!
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    He drew and entire first issue! I had photocopies of it at one time, and it was written and drawn by Kirby, and read much like his other 70's Marvel work, if you enjoy that (and I do).

• Options
    I've finally started on my avengers run! Reading the first 10 in masterworks trade so I don't have to break any of those singles out.

The one thing about Stan's prose in the period that's different for me now is that I can really see the marvel style in some of his dialogue -- where he's trying to figure out what to put in a panel.

Just finished first four issues and I'm enjoying the team coming together and growing. Does make me want to get all the individual series and read them in parallel too -- Tales to Astonish, Tales of Suspense, Journey into Mystery, etc.

Nanobots are the new Transistors!
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792

The one thing about Stan's prose in the period that's different for me now is that I can really see the marvel style in some of his dialogue -- where he's trying to figure out what to put in a panel.
    I've recently been re-reading Fantastic Four from the beginning, and I'm noticing the same thing. As a kid, I glossed over that stuff and just accepted it, but reading it now, it's pretty obvious when Jack gave Stan a panel that didn't quite fit, and he'd just have to make sense of it with some dialogue.
  • Options
    peedmyselfpeedmyself Posts: 105
    Nanobots are the new Transistors!
    Stan did use a lot of stuff like that, which I always get a chuckle out of. I have the masterworks of the Human Torch (Tales of Suspense, iirc) and Johnny's apartment was made entirely of asbestos. Everything back there was powered with new atomic technology too. I'm sure there's more examples!

• Options
    You probably heard already, but one of the highlights of Heroes Con last weekend was Stan Lee making a surprise appearance during the art auction. He signed an amazing painting Phil Noto had done of Gwen and Spidey. It went for around $7K...it was amazing.

Even more on topic, I picked up Back Issue #49 (Buckler Deathlok cover) from @nweathington / TwoMorrows, and for Bronze Age fans, it ROCKS! (Literally, there's an article on the Spidey rock album, but also great articles on FOOM/AWODCC, POTA, Mighty Marvel Calendars...so much fun stuff...) Seriously, pick it up! ;-)
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Here's a bit of Bronze Age fun, which I thought of after reading an article about the Mighty Marvel Calendars in BACK ISSUE #49.

The first Marvel Calendar I ever owned was the one published in 1975. I was a kid and I LOVED that calendar. It had all sorts of creators birthdays, milestones, and/or bits of art on each day. According to BACK ISSUE, that first one was written by Roy Thomas.

I picked one up on eBay yesterday for $8 (+shipping).

Here's why....

Depending on when leap years hit, a calendar year repeats every 6, 11 or 28 years. (or something like that. See this site: http://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/repeating.html?year=2014 )

1975's calendar will be repeated in 2014. The next time after that won't be until 2025.

So, yes, I plan ahead. And YES...in 2014 I'll hopefully be enjoying the 39 year anniversary of enjoying that calendar the first time. \:D/

(And for anyone interested in the Marvel calendars that followed, 1976 won't be repeating again until 2032, and 1977 in 2022. Darn it! I was hoping for sooner for that fun bicentennial one, in particular.)

• Options
    BetaRayBenBetaRayBen Posts: 50
    Wow, very cool post, @RobAnderson!
  • Options
    Thanks @BetaRayBen! You never know, there might be someone else out there that would get a kick out of using that old calendar in 2014, too. ;)
  • Options
    Got this in the mail today. 50 weeks after I dropped it off at SDCC last year. Still happy with the result though.

• Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    @Hex IIRC, there IS a Nick Fury essential - it has the classic Steranko cover on its cover (Nick firing a gun w/psychodelic stuff in the background).

e
    L nny
  • Options
    Here's a bit of Bronze Age fun, which I thought of after reading an article about the Mighty Marvel Calendars in BACK ISSUE #49.

The first Marvel Calendar I ever owned was the one published in 1975. I was a kid and I LOVED that calendar. It had all sorts of creators birthdays, milestones, and/or bits of art on each day. According to BACK ISSUE, that first one was written by Roy Thomas.

I picked one up on eBay yesterday for $8 (+shipping).

Here's why....

Depending on when leap years hit, a calendar year repeats every 6, 11 or 28 years. (or something like that. See this site: http://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/repeating.html?year=2014 )

1975's calendar will be repeated in 2014. The next time after that won't be until 2025.

So, yes, I plan ahead. And YES...in 2014 I'll hopefully be enjoying the 39 year anniversary of enjoying that calendar the first time. \:D/

(And for anyone interested in the Marvel calendars that followed, 1976 won't be repeating again until 2032, and 1977 in 2022. Darn it! I was hoping for sooner for that fun bicentennial one, in particular.)

Awesome, @RobAnderson!! I had that calendar up on my wall at age 13! Brings back great memories seeing it. After the year was up, I cut it apart and ran the whole year along my walls! I used to love those calendars!

e
    L nny
  • Options
    @Trev I always have loved that issue -- and signed by Sal -- how awesome!

@ctowner1 ha! If I still owned a copy of everything I cut up as a kid (See my Marvel Value Stamp site), I'd have...well, I'd have quite a collection. X_X
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    @RobAnderson Too true!! You know, I might still have a completed Marvel Value Stamp book in my closet somewhere (complete, or perhaps missing 1 stamp - I forget) - that thing is one of the banes of my collection - how depressing to go through an old comic and see the gaping value stamp-sized hole in one of the pages!! :((

I think I DO still have some intact calendars, though. I should check (and then head right to ebay to make $2 or so! lol).

e
    L nny
  • Options
    @ctowner1 Worse yet...you start cutting all those stamps out as a kid and you tape them all in a notebook. Only to THEN discover, you have to put them in a stamp book that you don't have to have them mean anything.

Then your parents throw out the notebook...and you have NOTHING to show for it but comics with gaping holes.

Clearly, I never recovered. (ha)
  • Options
    MiraclemetMiraclemet Posts: 258
    Got this in the mail today. 50 weeks after I dropped it off at SDCC last year. Still happy with the result though.
    50 weeks?!?!?!? I knew they were running behind, but holy cow!
  • Options
    It took them until Feb to get the book back from Sal, so maybe you could say it took from Feb to July, but I did give them the book at SDCC last year.

I talked to them a couple of weeks ago and requested that they do anything they could to get it to me before SDCC this year, and they got it in *just* under the wire. :)

• Options
    MiraclemetMiraclemet Posts: 258
    It took them until Feb to get the book back from Sal, so maybe you could say it took from Feb to July, but I did give them the book at SDCC last year.

I talked to them a couple of weeks ago and requested that they do anything they could to get it to me before SDCC this year, and they got it in *just* under the wire. :)

ok, whew, I have a big batch headed to them and thought 50 weeks was crazy. So their turn around time (not counting the signature time) was Feb to July which is about on par for them these days... Amazing that it sat with Sal for that long.
  • Options

ok, whew, I have a big batch headed to them and thought 50 weeks was crazy. So their turn around time (not counting the signature time) was Feb to July which is about on par for them these days... Amazing that it sat with Sal for that long.
    At least it came back unrestored 9.2 with a hard to get sig. would have been pretty upset to wait all that time for a restored 8.5, not that they controlled that, but would have made it not worth the wait

• Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Bought this book from MyComicShop.com this week:

I love weird Archie books, I love 50s and 60s celebrity cameos, and I love just plain weird comics, and this scratches all of those itches at once. Been wanting to get my hands on this for years. Trade credit is a wonderful thing!

This is only *just* barely an Archie book, though - covers and one story aside, this is pretty much all Soupy, and he never interacts with the Riverdale crew besides on the front cover (the interior story is about Archie and the kids trying to watch Soupy's show on Mr. Lodge's TV). Still Soupy's brand of humor translates pretty well to comics, especially an Archie book, so it's still a lot of fun.
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    I just finished Master of Kung Fu #50, and DAMN, WHAT A GREAT SERIES!!!

Moench put together the best Bond movie in years over issues 38 - 50, and brought together every thread he and other writers had planted in the series to make it seem as if it had been planned all along. Gulacy's art was highly photo referenced, but it worked, with Shang Chi played by Bruce Lee, Clive Reston played by a young Sean Connery (I haven't recognized the others yet).

The last 6 issues of the storyline, where each issue is told from a different character's perspective showed just how deep and three dimensional Moench saw his characters, with heroic traits and weaknesses that drive the story forward.

I am now getting into the issues I remember reading as a kid, so I'm looking forward to seeing things in the series that I didn't understand when I was a teenager...
  • Options
    @SolitaireRose One of my all-time favorite series/runs! I read them as they came out, off the newsstand, and could not WAIT for the next issues. The whole sequence with the toy/robot guy on the island freaked me out as a kid.

Parts of that run would have been a brilliant Bond/Bruce Lee cross-over movie. If only...A run of those issues was one of the few things I kept when I sold off most of my collection recently.

Can't be reprinted to due legal rights to Fu Manchu, right?

I saw Gulacy at SDCC a couple years ago and bought his art book from Vanguard (I believe) and had him sketch Shang-Chi inside it. Prized possession...