Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The New 52: One Year Later

With the first year of the "New 52" DC books wrapping up this month, it's been one year since the DCnU was introduced. Like all radical changes, it came with some acclaim and some disdain. Books by Scott Snyder, Francis Manapul, and Jeff Lemire have been critical darlings, under the radar gems like Demon Knights and All-Star Western continue to impress, and Geoff Johns might have finally fell off his throne. Oh, and Jim Lee draws pretty and sells books still.

With everything that's happened in the first year, what have been the things you guys have liked? What books do you still read? What books fell off? Where do you see things going in the next year?

For me, I've enjoyed how good most of the Bat books have been (sorry Finch, you don't cut it), and I'm completely in love with Earth 2 already. Sadly, in terms of falling off, the Wildstorm related books have been horrible, and I worry about the future of Stormwatch and Grifter, when Cornell didn't stay and Edmundson didn't strike a chord with the masses. Sadly, with all the drama the past month or two (and this past week for sure), it makes me question DC's editorial direction and how much control is left there, versus the creators.

Comments

• Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Successes of the DCN52:
    1) I'm reading Batman again, including a bunch of side-titles, and loving it.
    2) Demon Knights.
    3) I'm reading Wonder Woman regularly for the first time ever. Ditto Aquaman.
    4) They're taking risks again, and while some have fallen flat or failed outright, they're taking risks.
    5) Amethyst is BACK! Resurrection man was back (for 12 good issues!)!

Failures of the DCN52:
    1) Stephanie.Brown. I enjoy the new Batgirl book but dammit why do they hate her so much?
    2) Blackhawks. Seriously...WTF? I know we rail on how we hate origin books, but this title really needed one. Ultimately that's what killed it.
    3) The underwear needs to go back outside the tights. :)
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    edited August 2012
    Successes of the DCN52:
    1) Batman has improved dramatically.
    2) JL is much better than the last JLA/JSA crossover stuff I read from Robinson & Bagley
    3) better creators on Superman & Action Comics (Yes I liked Perez's work)
    4) Much fewer lateass artists or writers unless your name is Jim Lee on books (sorry but I don't play favorites unless your name is John Byrne)
    5) I really REALLY enjoyed the JLI book & sorry it is ending this month

Successes of Vertigo:
    1)Fairest a Fables spinoff book
    2)American Vampire (a Synder & Albuquereque book)

Failures of the DCN52:
    1) Wonder Woman - Just say no to Azzarello one issue was enough for me (Superman For Tomorrow was crap!)
    2)Redesigns on the costumes especially Superman's You don't tug on Superman's cape & you don't get rid of the red tights
    3)Batwoman -- The JH Williams art is great but the story was very confusing. CALL GREG RUCKA!
    4) DC needs to shape up in making its creators happy working w/ editors, artists or writers better
    5)Very short runs on Superman 6 issues and done & rotating them like a spinner rack.

Failures of Vertigo:
    1) Scalped & other great books like it are ending
    2) It needs quality replacement books to carry the load besides Fables & Hellblazer to restart the Vertigo line

Matthew
  • Options
    I'd been thinking about this as well, with the first year wrapping up, and I was thinking about doing my own personal review of the entire 52, plus the second wave as well. This looks like as good a place to do so as anywhere else, so...

My original intention was to get most of the first issues, skipping over only just four that didn’t initially interest me: Deathstroke, Grifter, Voodoo, and I, Vampire. Likewise, I thought Hawk & Dove would be a pass since it was being drawn by Rob Liefeld, but I decided to give the first couple of issues a try. My plans changed when I discovered the special discount offered for buying all of the first issues, so I figured, what the hell, I’ll get them all.

Let me break them down by groups, and I do these as a series of posts over the next few days. And I'll give each title a rank in accord with the established CGS ratings of 'buy', 'borrow' and 'pants'. Remember: this is purely my opinion, and your own milage may vary.

The Justice League Family

Justice League

Even though I’m not much of a Jim Lee fan, he really put his best into the first storyline. Despite some of the kvetching that not all of the League appears in the first issue, the entire story does work well in a trade collection.

I’m bothered by the usage of Darkseid as a reason for the League’s getting together for the first time, although I can see there are threads connected to the JSA’s origin, because it feels to me like they’ve gone and used the Big Gun of all villains and now everything is second-best. “Amazo!? Psh! We beat Darkseid! You’re nothing!” Seems to me Darkseid is a menace you’d want to work up to instead of leading with him.

After five years later, the team hasn’t changed or evolved. There's been no JLI or JLTF, or Extreme Justice, or even a Justice League Detroit. Hints have been dropped that they’ve actively prevented anyone from joining, and we’ve seen their reaction to would-be members like Green Arrow and Martian Manhunter. This strikes me as unusually and tenaciously territorial to me. And the team seems cold and distant to me, a condition not helped by Lee’s rendering; there’s no real sense of camaraderie that I can pick up on. They seem to bicker for the most part and seem reluctant and resentful to be working together, or at the least that’s how it feels to me.

Somehow, this book doesn’t feel friendly to me; it wants me to like it, but entirely on its terms. I do rate this book a ‘buy’, but I still feel uneasy about it.

Justice League International

This title is the League book that tries harder, maybe a little too earnestly. I do like the line-up, especially the addition of unlikely members like the August General and Lady Godiva. The addition of Omac and Batwing later on, however, flet odd and forced; I don’t mind them, but their introductions just felt like they were dropped in without warning or reason. And were they even really inducted into the team? I didn’t see any confirmation of that; they just seem to be hanging out rather than becoming part of the gang.

We got a couple of connecting storylines over the past year, and it felt like the team was just beginning to gel and the book itself was beginning to take off, only to have the carpet yanked out from underneath by its sudden cancellation. That was too bad, since I thought this one had some promise.

This was a ‘buy’, but it was taken away.

Justice League Dark

I’m still waiting for some explanation of an official connection to the Justice League, apart from it being the book’s title. That said, I find it surprisingly appealing: a team of mystic-based heroes and anti-heroes who can barely get along with each other, let alone work with each other. I never really liked the Vertigo version of Shade, for all of the acclamations the title had received, but I have to admit his situation in this series was intriguing. Likewise Constantine, the most reluctant member now become default leader, trying to play the long con on everybody. I’m disappointed in Zatanna’s new incarnation: she was always the delightful sprite-like member of the old JLA, and now she looks like she’s constantly walking the edge of a nervous breakdown.

Still, whatever few complaints I might dredge up here, and whatever flaws the series has, after a year it still has a great deal of energy going for it. I’m hooked and definitely want more. This is a resounding ‘buy’.
  • Options
    fxmattfxmatt Posts: 78

Never before had I read Aquaman but with the new 52 I tried the #1 issue and now I'm hooked! The Bat titles have been really tight and have drawn me in. I'm luke warm on the rest of the titles.
  • Options
    Part 2 of my review/breakdown of the New 52 one year later:

The Superman Family

Action Comics

Grant Morrison’s Superman was, for me, by and large, the absolute best thing of the whole New 52. I loved his Superman running in a blue t-shirt, a makeshift cape, and a pair of workshoes, leaping tall buildings and menacing the one percent in a bid to help the oppressed! Morrison has gone back to the original Siegel and Shuster material, and resurrected the heart of the character.

The series, in typical Morrison fashion, jumps about from theme to theme and paints in great big broad strokes, giving us an earnest young superhuman who is doing his absolute best to bring about a better world. Of course, he still has to face down Lex Luthor, Brainiac, and a suspicious government while winning the hearts of the general public.

And I gotta say, that makeshift costume of workshoes, jeans and t-shirt are a whole universe better than that awful armor he later picks up for his new uniform.

This book remains a very, very strong ‘buy’ for me.

Superman

The main Superman book, however, is something else again. First off, it can’t hold onto a regular creative team. I liked the Perez/Scott issues and I like the Jurgens issues, at least so far as the art went. But after a year, I still don’t feel like I know the character (except through the Action stories), and what I do see of him, I’m not sure I like him: he’s glum, angsty, and somewhat impersonal. Those five years since the days depicted in Action where he faced off against cops and crooks with a grin must have been hard in passing. The regular supporting characters, Lois, Jimmy and Perry, are there, but are more distant. The feeling of relationship is missing.

The costume is just wrong. Superman does not wear armor. I don't care what kind of reasonable excuse they come up with, it's not apropos to the character. He's Superman. Wearing armor says "I'm usually Superman". Yeah, I could be a Superman too if I wore armor. Also, it just looks wrong without the red trunks. Changing one of the most iconic outfits in Americana is just wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

In the space of a year, we’ve had two major storylines dealing with Wildstorm menaces that didn’t really leave much of an impression on me, and now we’re handing the book off to yet another new creative team, one which encourages no hope within me. Dropped after #12.

This was, at best, a ‘borrow’ that has just slid to a ‘pants’.

Superboy

I tried. I got the first six or seven issues. But I just can’t continue with this series. The costume is ugly. The character is unlikeable. The art is difficult to read. Dropped.

‘Pants’.

Supergirl

I got further with this one, but after a year it still feels disjointed. After a year, she still can’t speak English (or at the least she couldn’t when I finally dropped it), her relationship with her cousin is still unresolved, and it just doesn’t feel like she or the book have really developed an identity of their own. The art is very nice. Reluctantly dropped.

‘Borrow’.
  • Options

Supergirl

I got further with this one, but after a year it still feels disjointed. After a year, she still can’t speak English (or at the least she couldn’t when I finally dropped it), her relationship with her cousin is still unresolved, and it just doesn’t feel like she or the book have really developed an identity of their own. The art is very nice. Reluctantly dropped.

‘Borrow’.

After a year of our time (seems more likely) or a year of her time? Or both?
  • Options
    Part 3 of my review/breakdown of the New 52 one year later...

The Batman Family

Batman

Greg Capullo’s art is terrific. But that’s not enough to keep me. I know this is one of the top sellers and one of the books that was most well-received by the fandom, but I’m not sold on it. I was bored with the whole Court Of Owls storyline by the time we were only halfway through. The story – like a number of other DC storylines in the new 52 – is way too long. And I’m not overly fond of the turn towards psychological horror. Dropped.

‘Borrow’.

Detective Comics

This one lost me almost from the get-go, when the Joker sliced off his face. I tried sticking with it for awhile, but dropped it. Know what? Apart from the Joker, I can’t even remember what the rest of the stories were, and I don’t really need the creepy in my Batman stories. I really want my Calendar Man and Riddler stories back.

‘Pants’.

Dark Knight

One long overblown story about inmates inside Arkham, and a character called the White Rabbit (who really should have been Harley Quinn). I couldn’t drop this one fast enough. And all through it, only one question would pop into my head: in what order did the stories in these different issues take place? If I have time to pause and ponder that while I’m reading, then something’s wrong with the story that it can’t sufficiently distract me from it.

‘Pants’.

Batman & Robin

Now this book I’m enjoying. The terse relationship between Batman and Damien is a hook, and the stories have been generally interesting. Where it comes closest to losing me, however, is the moment Robin actually kills. Batman’s instinct to protect Damien may be understandable as a familial response, but still contradictory to his beliefs: will he really let Robin get away with murder, particularly one right in front of his face? This might be pushing the edge just a little too far.

‘Buy’, but leaning towards a ‘borrow’.

Batman, Inc

Only a few issues thus far, but it’s Morrison. My enjoyment knows no bounds.

‘Buy’.

Batwoman

Pretty, but also pretty boring. Nice art, nice layouts, but one long boring story. After a year, I still can’t get a feel for how effective Batwoman really is in the Gotham environment. I want to like this book better than I do… but I dropped it after #10.

Want to ‘borrow’, but must ‘pants’.

Batwing

The only interesting title among the ancillary bat-books, an offshoot of the Batman, Inc series about an Africa-based Batman. The setting and the background makes this series intriguing, and Judd Winick has done a great job with the stories, though I hope he aims for some shorter arcs in the future.

‘Buy’.

Nightwing

Basically, what I remember about this series was that it was a long day at the circus and lead into the Court Of Owls. At that point, I really, really lost interest.

‘Pants’.

Batgirl

I was enjoying this, and felt that it had fewer problems than some of the other series, but could benefit from fewer stories with weird and bizarre villains, and more street-level crime, and maybe the occasional costumed villain. In my opinion. It wasn’t a bad series, but I was forced by finances to drop it.

‘Borrow’.

Catwoman

I don’t know… I do like the way the artist works hard to give Selina very cat-like body language, but I’m not as happy with the very heavy emphasis on her cat-like amorality. And the ambiguity of her relationship with Batman also comes off as being heavy-handed. Couldn’t sustain an interest.

‘Pants’

• Options

Supergirl

‘Borrow’.

After a year of our time (seems more likely) or a year of her time? Or both?
    Who can tell? For all I can tell, it's still the same day that she first arrived on Earth. But it's been twelve issues. They need to compress time a bit and show some progress... show the character making some progress. After twelve issues all I can get out of the series is that it's been twelve issues.
  • Options
    JCBJCB Posts: 51
    edited August 2012

Nightwing

Basically, what I remember about this series was that it was a long day at the circus and lead into the Court Of Owls. At that point, I really, really lost interest.

‘Pants’.

I don't understand how Nightwing gets a 'pants'. But I'm more biased than a Fox News anchor. XD
  • Options
    Part 4 of my review/breakdown of the New 52 one year later...

The Dark Family

Animal Man

I really don’t like Animal Man as a dark series; I would have much preferred him as a hero in unusual and bizarre situations, closer to what Morrison did with the character years ago. Worse, this whole past year the series has been engaged in a year-long story about fighting the Rot (which is reminiscent in some ways of the old Swamp Thing stories about fighting the Gray) which, as it turns out, was only the prologue for the real story. (I think it took the Baker family four or five issues to actually drive somewhere for safety!?) I’m outta here. Dropped.

‘Pants’.

Swamp Thing

Started off interesting, but has the same problem as Animal Man: a year-long prologue to what promises to be an even longer main story. Dropped.

‘Pants’.

Frankenstein, Agent Of SHADE

I wasn’t sure about this book, but found it surprisingly entertaining, and Frank is actually one of the more likeable characters of the new DCU. The monsters are big, the commandoes are creatures, SHADE is duplicitous for the world’s own good, and Frank is Shakespearean.

‘Buy’.

I, Vampire

This was one of the titles I was originally going to pass over; I remembered the original series as being noteworthy only for Tom Sutton’s art and being pretty trite otherwise. But this was a genuine surprise: the art was beautifully moody and edgy and the story was quite direct. It does range towards the same problems as a lot of the DC52 with what seems like an unending story, and it needs to eventually find a direction, but so far it’s keeping my interest.

‘Buy’.

• Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    edited August 2012
    JCB said:

Nightwing

‘Pants’.

I don't understand how Nightwing gets a 'pants'. But I'm more biased than a Fox News anchor. XD
    Actually, I might edge it more towards a 'borrow' after giving it a bit more thought. I still like the character, and the stories weren't all that bad... but neither was I was overwhelmed by much of anything. I think the series had better days before the New 52.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Part 5 of my review/breakdown of the New 52 one year later...

The Superhero Family

Aquaman

Definitely one of the highlights of the New 52. First thing that I happily note is that the costume modifications have been slight and minor, and that Aquaman’s costume is the only one of the JLA’s that actually looks good with that high collar. The Trench were an interesting undersea alien species, and I’m enjoying the current Others storyline. I also like that the two longer arcs were separated by a couple of shorter stories.

A very solid ‘buy’.

Birds Of Prey

This is a mixed bag of nuts indeed. I like the Canary and I like the new character, Wren, and the addition of Poison Ivy is interesting, but I really, really dislike the reinventing of Katana. Not only is her costume terrible (which is a constant problem with a lot of the New 52), but all of the personality and character she once had has been drained away from her; half of the time she seems like a mildly addled automaton who spends a lot of time talking to her sword. Even Batgirl’s addition can’t quite hold this series for me. Reluctantly dropped.

‘Borrow’.

Blue Beetle

Oh, I really, really wanted to like this series, and I kinda do. The writing isn’t bad and the art is decent, but I don’t like the whole ‘Beetle on the run’ scenario. The story, like so many others, runs on and on and on… And I miss the rapport and support Javier used to have with his family and friends in the previous incarnation. Dropped with #12.

‘Borrow’, but with a heavy lean towards ‘buy’.

Captain Atom

Another one I wanted to like, as I’ve always liked Captain Atom in the past. But something about his characterization doesn’t click in this incarnation, and the stories have been really underwhelming. Worse, the art by Freddie Williams, who I’ve always liked in the past, is murky and confusing here. Dropped midway, though it’s been cancelled since.

‘Pants’.

Fury Of The Firestorm

All of the things about Firestorm are here, but they’re all wrong. It’s like a puzzle whose pieces have been forced to fit in the wrong and most unappealing configuration. Where Firestorm was the melding of two individuals, we now get multiple Firestorms, two of whom can combine and form a bigger and dumber and really, really pissed off version. And while Jason has been a pretty mature protagonist, it hurts to see Ronnie being so damn stupid all of the time. I have to admit that some of the backstory of the Firestorm Protocols has been interesting, but the uniqueness of the character and his alter-egos seems to have been thrown away. Dropped.

Midway between a ‘borrow’ and a ‘pants’.

Green Arrow

Oh, Ollie! What have they done to you?

Actually, the series started off fairly strong under Dan Jurgens, doing some riffs off of the Smallville version, but went quickly to hell with his departure and the arrival of Ann Nocenti. The art dropped in quality as well. Dropped.

‘Pants’.

Hawk & Dove

Oh, the Liefeld!! It hurts!! I just couldn’t take more than an issue of it! Dropped like a hot potato! (And cancelled besides!)

‘Pants’! With suspenders and a belt, yet!

Mister Terrific

I liked this one, and thought it was one of the best of the New 52. Good art, good writing, good God! Unfortunately, I seemed to have been in the minority. Cancelled.

‘Buy’.

Savage Hawkman

Hawkman has always been hit or miss for me. I like the basic character, but not always the interpretation. The John Ostrander Hawkworld was really the apex, in my opinion. This version leaves me as puzzled as it leaves me cold. Didn’t like the stories, didn’t like the character, hated the new helmet. Dropped before Liefeld.

‘Pants’.

Static Shock

Well, it didn’t seem like this series really took off. It was okay, but… eh. Liked the art by Scott Daniels. Cancelled.

‘Borrow’.

Wonder Woman

I liked the initial start, but this book also suffers from ‘unendingstoryitis’. After a year, I feel like I know more about the new reinvented status of the Greek Gods in the DCU than I know much of anything about Wonder Woman. Oh, sure, I know who her father is, but I don’t know much about her place in the DCU apart from the occasional dropped hint here or there. Dropped after #12.

‘Borrow’.
  • Options
    NickNick Posts: 284
    JCB said:

and Geoff Johns might have finally fell off his throne.

Just curious what does that even mean? He wrote JLA, Aquaman, and Green Lantern, three of DC's top selling books. Or do you mean quality? I actually think his books are just as good as any of his past work.
  • Options
    Part 6 of my review/breakdown of the New 52 one year later...

The Green Lanterns

Green Lantern

The main GL title continues a high-energy drive with Hal Jordan dismissed from the Corps but now working as a kind of ‘deputy’ for Sinestro with a slightly underpowered ring. If I have any complaint with the series, it’s the characterization of Hal, which has gone from a womanizing, common-sense test pilot to something of an egocentric jerk, not just here but in Justice League as well. That really doesn’t sit well. Apart from that, I’m still enjoying the series.

‘Buy’.

Green Lantern Corps

More GL goodness, alternating arcs and staying in tune with the main book. I could wish for this and the other GL books to focus on shorter arcs and some one-issue stories.

‘Buy’.

Green Lantern: The New Guardians

Fun, but I don’t really grasp what the purpose of this title is, apart from being a showcase for Kyle Rayner. Why New Guardians? I haven’t yet seen that these representatives from the various ring corps are actually in any capacity of guardianship. The title is intriguing, but I see no sign of it fulfilling its inherent promise. Maybe it’ll make sense next year.

‘Buy’.

Red Lanterns

A lot of rage and angst and manipulation. For all that, the story, which is another one that drags one, runs slower than the GL books, and only seems to be loosely in synch with them.

‘Borrow’.
  • Options
    Part 7 of my review/breakdown of the New 52 one year later...

The War Family

Blackhawks

If you’re going to revive an iconic title, wouldn’t you also revive the iconic team the title refers to!? This book had no Blackhawk! Or Stan, or Olaf, or Hendrickson… instead, we get some mercenary group with deep pockets and support. Interesting, but – again – why the distancing from the classic Blackhawks? We don’t get a reinventing of the team so much as we get a selling of the brand to some guys with guns and planes. I’m sure the weaponry and the paramilitary angle were pretty much accurate, more or less, or at least more believable, but it really lacks the romance of those swashbuckling aces. As it was, it was okay, but not memorable; apart from their version of Lady Blackhawk, I can’t even remember any of their names. Cancelled.

‘Borrow’, but advisably.

GI Combat

Two features: Unknown Soldier and The War That Time Forgot. I like the latter feature better: it’s got dinosaurs, and is drawn by Ariel Olivetti. But apart from that, it doesn’t really have much going for it. There isn’t a story so much as there’s an ongoing slaughter of soldiers by T Rexes; about as much fun as reading a story about someone having lunch – which this is, only with automatic rifles. The Unknown Soldier I like a little less, but is, I must admit, more solid as a story.

‘Buy’.

Men Of War

I found this title rather interesting, as it tried to portray warfare in the modern DCU, where superbeings and the supernatural are part of the world’s landscape. It didn’t get far enough along, and shifted away from the initial Sgt Rock feature. Cancelled.

‘Buy’.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    mguy1977 said:

Failures of the DCN52:
    1) Wonder Woman - Just say no to Azzarello one issue was enough for me (Superman For Tomorrow was crap!)

3)Batwoman -- The JH Williams art is great but the story was very confusing. CALL GREG RUCKA!

I could not disagree more on #1 or agree more on #3.
  • Options
    Part 8 of my review/breakdown of the New 52 one year later...

The Wildstorm Family

Deathstroke

(Not really a Wildstorm series, but it fit here better than anywhere else.) I never much liked Deathstroke before the New 52. He was fine as a villain, but I never cared for his ongoing series. The first issue of this series made me dislike him all the more. Dropped immediately.

‘Pants’.

Grifter

I didn’t really know all that much about Grifter apart that he used to be part of the WILDCats. The first issue of this series didn’t win me over, though I thought the fact that he somehow had a mental connection with aliens was an interesting hook. Not enough to reel me in, however. Dropped immediately.

‘Pants’.

Stormwatch

This is the only one of the Wildstorm books that I liked, and I like it a lot. An unusual team of superheroes (but don’t call them that) with a serious case of superiority when it comes to the metahuman community. The menaces are bizarre and mind-boggling. It’s offbeat and familiar all at the same time, and though its changed writers has still managed to keep the stories at a high-octane level.

‘Buy’.

Voodoo

All I can remember about this one was the first issue: a stripper, who may or may not be an alien, is on the run. Eh. Dropped.

I had seen a couple of issues a few months later and it seemed that the story had taken some interesting turns, but not enough to bring me back. Canceled anyway.

‘Pants’.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    wait! @Chuck_Melville Animal Man and Swmp thing get pants and Frankenstin gets a buy? wow! We have hugely different tastes! To each his own on that one for sure!
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    One year later and I've liked the books that I get.
  • Options
    Part 9 of my review/breakdown of the New 52 one year later...

The Oddball Family

These are books that didn't really fit into any category that I could think of.

All-Star Western

I missed out on the previous Jonah Hex series, but I’m making up for it here. Hex in Gotham City has proven to be more interesting and lot more fun than I’d expected, and I really love Moritat’s art. And I’ve been enjoying the extra western stories in the back of the book, so it’s been worth the $3.99 price mark.

‘Buy’.

DC Universe Presents

This has been off and on again due to the 'Showcase' nature of the book. Deadman was okay; Challengers Of The Unknown was better, if a bit off-kilter in my estimation; Savage was solid; I hated Kid Flash.

I still give the series a ‘buy’, though; want to encourage the try-outs.

Demon Knights

I liked the series initially, and still think it’s a cool idea, but it’s another one that seems to drag on without reaching a break. Dropped due to finances.

‘Borrow’.

Dial H

I’ve always loved the Dial H concept, but I don’t like that it’s being taken to a dark place here. Still, the story and art have been good, so I can’t really complain. For the moment, I’m sold.

‘Buy’.

OMAC

Well, Giffen got the Kirbyness just perfect, but this one just felt like a series that had nowhere to go… and wouldn’t know what to do once it got there. The kinetics of the story was entertaining, but, like a Chinese dinner, left me hungry an hour later. Cancelled.

‘Borrow’.

Resurrection Man

I was a fan of the original series. This one was almost there, but just didn’t connect the same way. For one thing, Shelly did more running and looking over his shoulder, ala the Fugitive, and less time trying to figure out what to do with himself and his life. Cancelled.

‘Buy’, but just barely.

Suicide Squad

One of the worst books in the whole 52. Ugly costumes (wtf did they do to Harley Quinn!?), terrible story, unreadable story art… And what was the point of carving away 300 pounds from Amanda Waller!? A lot of her appeal was the fact that she was so large and could still kick butt! I didn’t just drop this book, I drop-kicked it.

‘Pants’ – with a vengeance.

• Options
    random73 said:

wait! @Chuck_Melville Animal Man and Swmp thing get pants and Frankenstin gets a buy? wow! We have hugely different tastes! To each his own on that one for sure!

Frank hasn't disappointed me yet.

As for Animal Man and Swamp Thing, well, I like the characters, and I thought each series started off well, but since then it just feels like each book has just been treading water and taking it's own sweet time to actually get anywhere. And after a year, they're only just now beginning the actual story!? And it's going to be a year-long cross-over!? No, my patience has been exhausted. I don't feel like I'm really getting anything out of either title. I'm certainly not enjoying them.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Great thread-- I have been looking forward to this conversation. More soon.
  • Options
    Part 10 of my review/breakdown of the New 52 one year later...

The Teen Titans Family

Ravagers

Didn’t even bother.

‘Pants’, ‘pants’, ‘pants’.

Red Hood & The Outlaws

I thought this one sounded at least interesting until I read it. I made it through three issues, but I really didn’t like any of the characters in this series. Starfire seems like a lethargic bedtoy, I can’t figure out Arsenal (or Speedy or whatever he’s calling himself today) but he seems dumber than what I remember, and who knows where Jason’s head is today. I’m outta here. Dropped.

‘Pants’.

Teen Titans

Let’s sum it up: ugly costumes; unlikeable characters; unmemorable story; unreadable art. Funny how all of the Titans books have these in common. Thus far, I’m unimpressed with Scott Lobdell’s contributions to the New 52. Dropped immediately.

‘Pants’.
  • Options
    Part 11 of my review/breakdown of the New 52 one year later...

The Legion Family

Legion Lost

Apart from capitalizing on a previously successful Legion title, why? Actually, this combines two popular Legion tropes: being lost in unfamiliar territory and unable to get back home, and being stuck in the past in a primitive society. The choice of Legionnaires is interesting, including the seldom used Tyroc as leader of this group. It’s been pretty good for the most part, save for the cross-over with the Titans books, but how long can this premise carry on before it begins to feel tired?

‘Buy’, but leaning towards ‘borrow’.

Legion Of Super-Heroes

I enjoy the Legion. I enjoy Paul Levitz’s writing. I especially enjoy Paul Levitz on the Legion. But, while this series hasn’t been too bad, neither is it catching fire the way his work on the series in past years has. I want this to do better than it currently is.

‘Borrow’.
  • Options
    And finally, part 12 of my review/breakdown of the New 52 one year later...

The Earth-2 Family

Earth 2

I have mixed feelings. It just feels wrong to be reinventing the JSA at all. They’re on Earth 2; who says they have to be in a time concurrent with the calendar on Earth 1? The new costumes are an odd mix: some are okay (Green Lantern, Atom), some are too busy (Flash – and get rid of that football helmet!). And I really don’t like the idea that GL’s ring is connected to the Green.

But the story itself has a lot of energy going for it, and I have to admit that I’m really hooked. I want to see where it’s going. And this is one of the few series where the characters are at least likeable and approachable.

‘Buy’.

Worlds’ Finest

Whereas this one I have no compunctions about. It’s fun and it’s intriguing. The girls have a good chemistry and easy friendship with one another, and the story rolls right along without stretching things out for interminable lengths. In fact, the current story feels quite tight. And what a great idea to use both Perez and Maguire to draw the different storylines, past and present!

‘Buy’.

And that's the end. If anybody feels I used too much bandwidth here, I apologize, but invite you to post your own. Remember, the above was nothing more than my opinion, and that could always be mistaken.
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    edited August 2012
    WetRats said:

mguy1977 said:

Failures of the DCN52:

I could not disagree more on #1 or agree more on #3.
    Look after reading Superman comics for nearly 30 years "For Tomorrow" was at the bottom of the barrel storywise. However, I read his Luthor Man of Steel miniseries and liked it. Still Azzarello on a mainsteam DC superhero book does not grab my interest in the slightest. I read Wonder Woman monthly for 5 years prior to the 52 reboot & tried the first issue & decided it was not right for me. I was not going to invest 11 more issues of anger & disappoint in the new Wonder Woman so I stopped after the 1st issue & didn't look back. I bought other Vertigo & indie books instead that I really liked (Saga, Fatale, Fairest, etc..). I get my WW fix from JL & Perez WW trades these days.

As for Batwoman, you go from A list w/ Rucka to the D list in w/ the current writing team in no time flat. The Amy Reeder issues were not bad just different than J.H.'s artwork. I thought long & hard about dropping this title after its second #0 issue (I still remember buying the first #0 issue years ago & the delays). I will decide once I place my DCBS order later this month.

Matthew
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    As a general summing up of the entire New 52, I make these observations, touched on in my capsule reviews above:

1 - Stories are too long. A lot of them feel more like filler to pad out a story to fit in a trade. I don't want to get the trade if it has that much filler. Tighten up those stories! If they have to be a year long, at least make them interesting enough so that we want to pick up the next issue! Compress time accordingly!

2 - Too many ugly costumes. Too many costumes that are visually busy! Simplify!!!! Turn off the raver lights!

3 - Reinvented characters seem to be moving away from the original concepts that made them unique or interesting to begin with. Changing things simply for the sake of changing them isn't creative, but is sure can be annoying.

4 - The characters and their backgrounds need more fleshing out -- and for God's sake, could they stop every so often to take a bathroom break or something!? Some of these stories go on so long that it seems like the characters have no private lives or concerns. Kyle Rayner was going to see about a job in GL:NG #1 -- twelve issues later, he still hasn't got there!

5 - I'm also concerned that the continuity is a little too tight in the New 52, to the point where a series can't 'breathe' on its own and expand accordingly. Everything is being connected and interconnected so heavily that it begins to feel a little inbred.
  • Options

The costume is just wrong. Superman does not wear armor. I don't care what kind of reasonable excuse they come up with, it's not apropos to the character. He's Superman. Wearing armor says "I'm usually Superman". Yeah, I could be a Superman too if I wore armor. Also, it just looks wrong without the red trunks. Changing one of the most iconic outfits in Americana is just wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Yep.

Yep, yep, yep.
  • Options

Batwoman
    Pretty, but also pretty boring. Nice art, nice layouts, but one long boring story. After a year, I still can’t get a feel for how effective Batwoman really is in the Gotham environment. I want to like this book better than I do… but I dropped it after #10.

You held out longer than I did. I think I made six.
  • Options

Wonder Woman
    I liked the initial start, but this book also suffers from ‘unendingstoryitis’. After a year, I feel like I know more about the new reinvented status of the Greek Gods in the DCU than I know much of anything about Wonder Woman. Oh, sure, I know who her father is, but I don’t know much about her place in the DCU apart from the occasional dropped hint here or there. Dropped after #12.

I find the New WWU far more interesting than the New DCU.

Easily my favorite.