Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A Comic Cover A Day (is awesome)

Comments

• Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    dubbat138 said:

Yvette is my wife's name - have to show her this cover :)
  • Options
  • Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    edited September 2012
    This was the very first back issue I ever purchased. I remember staring at it in the back issue bin of my LCS at the time and thinking how can I afford the money ($20.00) to pick it up.

• Options
    I'm pretty sure this was the first back issue I bought. I was a freshman in college and a poster for the series lured me into the comic shop across the street from campus. I bought the second issue off the rack and the first issue from the back issue bin, and all of a sudden, I was back into comics. And I was working at that same shop two years later.

• Options
    Caliban said:

1969 Neal Adams

I just love that cover. My favorite of all of the 'House' covers that Adams did. That entire issue, in fact, with Abel first taking custody of the House and all of the enigmatic secrets and history of the House's construction, is a big favorite of mine.

Hard to believe that, prior to a brief hiatus of a couple of years, this was the home of such features as Mark Merlin, Prince Ra-Man, and Eclipso.

• Options

Pretty sure this was the first back issue I bought for myself. It was 15 bucks and I had to save up my allowance for a month to get it.
  • Options

Another early back issue buy. Love the Romita/Starlin cover.
  • Options

Caliban said:

1969 Neal Adams

I just love that cover. My favorite of all of the 'House' covers that Adams did. That entire issue, in fact, with Abel first taking custody of the House and all of the enigmatic secrets and history of the House's construction, is a big favorite of mine.

Hard to believe that, prior to a brief hiatus of a couple of years, this was the home of such features as Mark Merlin, Prince Ra-Man, and Eclipso.

Yeah, after Abel evicted Prince Ra-Man from the House of Secrets, he was down on his luck for a while. But, like a true hero, he picked himself up, dusted himself off, and started a noodle empire.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    edited September 2012
    And now... a round of "We've seen better days".

The introduction of the New Look to Batman in 1964 succeeded in turning the sales and fan interest right around, and things were good. Batman was actually interesting to read for the first time in years. It did so well, that it caught the interest of TV producer, William Dozier, and the rest is history.

Unfortunately, the brief success of the Batman TV show had some very unfortunate side effects, one of which was the rise of campy stories, campy dialogue and even campier villains in the comics themselves, all in an attempt, no doubt, to ride the coattails of the TV show's success. And that brings us to the absolute worst Bat-villain of all time -- in my opinion, anyway...

...the Eraser.

I know some people consider the Ten-Eyed Man to be the worst, but I don't share that sentiment; in fact, Phil "Ten Eye" Reardon is a favorite of mine. But the Eraser was just too silly a character to ever take serious. The book was just screaming for Frank Robbins and Denny O'Neil to hurry up and take over the series...

Cover by Carmine Infantino & Joe Giella.
  • Options

The 90's just weren't very kind to Marvel. The above is a case in point: the culmination of one of the worst Avengers storylines ever, The Crossing, was having Iron Man killed and resurrected as a teen-ager, and transforming the Wasp into some alien-looking insect thing that I guess was supposed to be waspish. I read every issue of this storyline and spent much time banging my head on a table after each reading. Even a nifty cover by Mike Deodato couldn't help this story.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946

The 90's just weren't very kind to Marvel. The above is a case in point: the culmination of one of the worst Avengers storylines ever, The Crossing, was having Iron Man killed and resurrected as a teen-ager, and transforming the Wasp into some alien-looking insect thing that I guess was supposed to be waspish. I read every issue of this storyline and spent much time banging my head on a table after each reading. Even a nifty cover by Mike Deodato couldn't help this story.

Why, Chuck, why?! The headaches are starting again.
  • Options

The first appearance of the Phoenix. No, not Jean Grey. This was a very short-lived hero published by the equally-short-lived Atlas Comics in 1975 (and recently resurrected by, I believe, Aarden Publications?). The first three issues were actually pretty decent, story and cover by Sal Amendola, about an astronaut who develops powers, returns to Earth to head off an alien invasion, and is seen as a Messiah by the public. Lots of religious overtones here. It was one of the best of Atlas' offerings.

Unfortunately, Atlas wasn't making much of a headway into the market and higher ups made a lot of drastic changes in an attempt to ignite sales. So the fourth and last issue of Phoenix was twisted and kicked to the gutter like this:

New writer, new artist, previous concepts tossed out. Sales nosedive.

Cover by Ric Estrada and Frank Giacoia.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

Phoenix & Cyclops: Inextricably Linked!
  • Options
    And now, the topper.

Blackhawk was acquired by DC from Quality in the late 50's. For awhile, the series chugged on as it was, a band of ex-military aviation aces now serving as freelance police agents and adventurers. But in the 60's, the times were a-changin' and it was decided that the Blackhawks must, too. So, they were stripped of their black military leathers and given new suits:

Actually, the new red, black and green outfits weren't too bad. They made sense, in a way: it's wasn't World War Two anymore, after all. But clothes make the men, they say, and after a couple of years, no less an authority than the Justice League of America...

...decided that the Blackhawks weren't up to snuff anymore, and neither were their Christmas leathers. So, the Magnificent Seven went back to their island, reconsidered their purpose and their individual identities, and came back garbed for battle!

And a new era of Blackhawks was begun.

Covers by Dick Dillin and Chuck Cuidera. (Incidentally, this three-parter was the first time to my knowledge that Dillin drew the JLA.)
  • Options

...the Eraser.

I know some people consider the Ten-Eyed Man to be the worst, but I don't share that sentiment; in fact, Phil "Ten Eye" Reardon is a favorite of mine. But the Eraser was just too silly a character to ever take serious. The book was just screaming for Frank Robbins and Denny O'Neil to hurry up and take over the series...

Cover by Carmine Infantino & Joe Giella.

He'll r-r-r-r-rub you out, see.

Rubberhead, from one of my all-time favorite toons, “The Great Piggy Bank Robbery.”
  • Options

This would be great to cosplay:

Yellow suit with vertical lines.

Pink Bowler

Pointy black shoes with spats.
  • Options

Don Heck
    Al Milgrom
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Caliban said:

1970 Neal Adams again

That's just wrong.
  • Options
    From 1973, a Doc Savage cover by Gil Kane and Tom Palmer. I had trouble getting these as a kid. The idea of Doc Savage being in a comic book was so exciting to me, although I think by the time I got to read them, I was a bit past my Doc Savage stage.

I was a huge fan of the Doc Savage pulps growing up, reading every one I could get my hands on. I was reading them in the Bantam paperback editions. I'm certain it was the amazing James Bama covers that caught my eye, and this was probably my favorite book of the series.

I had trouble finding a good image, but all those little heads on that guy really freaked me out (in a good way) back in the day...