Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

A Comic Cover A Day (is awesome)

Comments

• dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Bernie Wrightson

Ernie Chan
    Joe Orlando

Denys B. Cowan
    Dick Giordano
  • CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    Bernie Wrightson again on #100 from 1972

• WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    dubbat138 said:

Joe Orlando

Far out!
  • Let's all remember Mort Weisinger.

Weisinger, a founding member of sci-fi fandom (along with his school days pal, Julius Schwartz) came to DC in the early 40's. He took over the editing of the Superman family of titles in the 50's and initiated one of the most memorable periods in Superman's career. During his reign, an exploration of Superman's Kryptonian roots began in earnest, and we got Kryptonite in all the various flavors, Bizarro, Brainiac, the Phantom Zone, Kandor, Krypto, Supergirl, the Superman Revenge Squad, Metallo, all the Mxyzptlk stories one could scream for, Virus X, Imaginary Stories (aren't they all?), the Parasite, Lexor, Lena Thorul, and the Legion Of Super-Heroes.

The above cover by Curt Swan and Stan Kaye is considered to be the official beginning of Superman's Silver Age period.

During the Golden Age, Mort did a spot of writing, and created (along with artist George Papp) at least one memorable hero: Green Arrow! He stole the concept of the legendary Robin Hood (by way of Errol Flynn, no doubt) and mashed it with Batman in order to flesh the new hero out with a kid sidekick (Speedy), an Arrowcar, an Arrowcave, an Arrowsignal, an Arrowplane, and probably an Arrowdog somewhere when we weren't looking. No utility belt, but there were all those trick arrows...

GA's first cover appearance in More Fun Comics by George Papp.

In the late 50's, sales on the Batman books were starting to slip, causing everybody, including editor Jack Schiff, concern. Weisinger told him, Why don't you do what I'm doing? Put a girl in a costume, get a dog, some funny little guy to pull some magic stunts, and lots and lots of space aliens.

Schiff took that advice. A few years later, he was fired, Julie Schwartz moved in, and the New Look was initiated.

Cover by Shelly Moldoff.
  • WetRats said:

dubbat138 said:

Bryan Hitch

Wow. That's almost Liefeld-bad.
    I have trouble believing that it's by Bryan Hitch!
  • WetRats said:

dubbat138 said:

Bryan Hitch

Wow. That's almost Liefeld-bad.
    Funny you should mention Liefeld. Hitch, like Liefeld, started out very much as a swipe artist. His Alan Davis phase was especially blatant. Unlike Liefeld though, he kept working at it and eventually became a good artist in his own right. But it did take him a while.
  • Let's all remember Mort Weisinger.

Weisinger, a founding member of sci-fi fandom (along with his school days pal, Julius Schwartz) came to DC in the early 40's. He took over the editing of the Superman family of titles in the 50's and initiated one of the most memorable periods in Superman's career. During his reign, an exploration of Superman's Kryptonian roots began in earnest, and we got Kryptonite in all the various flavors, Bizarro, Brainiac, the Phantom Zone, Kandor, Krypto, Supergirl, the Superman Revenge Squad, Metallo, all the Mxyzptlk stories one could scream for, Virus X, Imaginary Stories (aren't they all?), the Parasite, Lexor, Lena Thorul, and the Legion Of Super-Heroes.

The above cover by Curt Swan and Stan Kaye is considered to be the official beginning of Superman's Silver Age period.

And let’s also remember how he would often reject the plot pitch of one writer, then turn around and give it to another writer as his own idea. Weisinger was a real piece of work.
  • Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    edited September 2012

Let's all remember Mort Weisinger.

And let’s also remember how he would often reject the plot pitch of one writer, then turn around and give it to another writer as his own idea. Weisinger was a real piece of work.
    I've heard some of those stories, though usually 'toned down', I believe. I heard that he dismissed Wayne Boring, the iconic Superman artist of the 50's, with all of the loving care one gives to an unwanted alley cat -- with a sneer and a quick kick to the curbside.

I've treated most of this 'tribute' with a large degree of irony.
  • I've treated most of this 'tribute' with a large degree of irony.
    Oh, I know, I just wanted to make sure no one got the wrong impression. :P

To put it mildly, the guy was an egomaniac and a bully.
  • dubbat138 said:

From 1973, a fun cover by Russ Heath...

And that Atlas Phoenix series was my favorite -- bought them off the stand along with lots of other Atlas stuff. I think I might still have them...maybe not.

Here's an Atlas monster comic (kind of a Hulk-like character, IIRC) that I think I still have today!

Did you ever read "The Brute" from Atlas/Seaboard? It was another Hulk ripoff.
    I did! And I may be confusing that one with this one, in fact. But for whatever reason, I always liked this one...
  • A fun horror cover from 1973 by Gil Kane with inks by Ernie Chan (per GCD)...

Most of the early issues of this title adapted classics (like Jekyll and Hyde), but when it really hit its stride for me was when it started featuring the Living Mummy in on-going stories. Here's a couple favorites from a bit later in the run. I especially loved the issues with Val Mayerik interiors.

The first two below are by Gil Kane and Al Milgrom. The last one by Kane and Tom Palmer.

• I've never read any Living Mummy stories, but the covers are pretty cool.

What with the Mummy covers and the recent Werewolf by Night covers, how about a little Legion of Monsters?

By Neal Adams.

By Ken Barr.

And speaking of which, am I the only one who read the recent Legion of Monsters mini-series? The story was a lot of fun, and I love Juan Doe’s artwork.

A fun horror cover from 1973 by Gil Kane with inks by Ernie Chan (per GCD)...

Most of the early issues of this title adapted classics (like Jekyll and Hyde), but when it really hit its stride for me was when it started featuring the Living Mummy in on-going stories. Here's a couple favorites from a bit later in the run. I especially loved the issues with Val Mayerik interiors.

The first two below are by Gil Kane and Al Milgrom. The last one by Kane and Tom Palmer.

I loved the living mummy. Wish they would do a nice color reprint of all his appearances.

Gil Kane

I love Gil Kane and I love horror so combined the two and I get a cover I love.

Another great horror cover by Gil Kane.

Gil Kane did a great cover for a comic I doubt most people read.

Amazing cover by Gil Kane.