Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The New 52: One Year Later

Comments

• Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    edited September 2012
    Torchsong said:

Matt said:

May I try and ask an objective question as someone who doesn't collect anything from the relaunch:

Did the relaunch make a difference? Had DCU just maintained its old continuity, but just had these storylines in the old DCU, would it have essentially worked or did there have to be a relaunch to get these current storylines?

M

I think so. I think they were trying to shove off the yoke of (most of) the continuity that's "plagued" them (note the quotes), but at the same time trying to stay true to the core of the character and what makes them great. And it's been a mixed bag - folks genuinely don't seem happy with Superman's books, but I'm reading Batman and Wonder Woman on a regular basis for the first time in years (and in Wondy's case, EVER!).

In my case, I'm quite pleased with Action Comics and not very happy with Superman. Nor am I really pleased with the Batman books, which kind of puts me at odds with the rest of the DC fans it seems.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    edited September 2012
    hmmm, tricky question @Matt

for most of the titles (Batman and Green Lantern being the exceptions) these stories do start from a very different place than existed in prior continuity. Anemic Superboy, Two Armed Red Arrow, never Robin-Red Robin, etc. What makes it tricky though is that i don't know that the quality of the storytelling justifies the radical jettisoning of continuity (and this is me speaking as a rabid supporter of the idea a year ago). the whole thing feels hollow to me. Green Arrow is an abysmal travesty that absolutely lost quality after the reboot, same for the Teen Titans.
  • Options
    Matt said:

May I try and ask an objective question as someone who doesn't collect anything from the relaunch:

Did the relaunch make a difference? Had DCU just maintained its old continuity, but just had these storylines in the old DCU, would it have essentially worked or did there have to be a relaunch to get these current storylines?

M

I stated in another thread a while back that the biggest failing for the New 52 for me was that the books that I picked up and actually kept buying were either no different than they were pre-New 52 (Batman, the Green Lantern titles), or that they could have been launched without much trouble in the previous continuity (heck, Animal Man is almost the perfect continuation of his old solo title before it went to Vertigo). The titles where they significantly changed things? I just didn't enjoy.

Wonder Woman is the closest I have to an exception to this. While it may have been possible to launch in this new direction before, the change would have been jarring. For this title, yeah, the relaunch/reboot/whatever was very beneficial.

But, then again, this may all be a case of One More Day/Brand New Day on a larger scale - I don't think that any of the changes they brought to Spider-Man were necessary, especially since it invited a return to some previously overused plot lines (oh, no, out of web fluid again, and how can I afford rent, etc.). What improved the books after OMD was simply better writing, which could have been done without massive and controversial changes to the title.

In a nutshell, Batman didn't really change after the New 52 launch... he just got better writers.
  • Options
    Here's a question: if, due to hard times and tight finances, you could only afford to buy four of the New52 DC books each month (assuming you could bring yourself to only buy four), which four would you dedicate yourself to buying each month?
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    edited September 2012

Here's a question: if, due to hard times and tight finances, you could only afford to buy four of the New52 DC books each month (assuming you could bring yourself to only buy four), which four would you dedicate yourself to buying each month?

Although I haven't read a new52 book for months I'd pick up:

- Wonder Woman
    - Aquaman
    - The Flash
    - Batman

• Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Green Lantern
    Batman
    Detective
    Dont care which... Justice League, B+R or GL Corps
  • Options
    It's kind of a tough whittling down for me, but I guess I'd go with...

Action Comics
    Earth Two
    Worlds' Finest
    Aquaman

But, given that Morrison is soon leaving Action, I might switch it out for Frankenstein, Agent Of SHADE.
  • Options
    Sad that I can actually limit myself to just four and so easily. Dark times.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Legion of Super Heroes
    Wonder Woman
    Flash
    ummm...
    Wold's Finest?
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    As I'm only buying 4 right now, it's pretty easy:

Aquaman
    Supergirl
    Worlds' Finest
    Batman Incorporated
  • Options
    Swamp Thing
    Animal Man
    All-Star Western
    Wonder Woman was my favourite at the beginning of the new run, but I'd probably put JL: Dark in as #4 now. Too many good things have gone into it lately.
  • Options
    Still buying,

Catwoman
    Supergirl(Asrar's art is too damn good!)
    Flash
    Animal Man
    Aquaman
    Green Lantern(though I haven't read it in a 4 months)
    Batwoman(same as GL)

Reading Batman in the hardcovers.
  • Options
    larrylarry Posts: 125
    Right now I would pick these 4 but I haven't caught up in trades yet.

JL Dark
    Animal Man
    Swamp Thing
    Demon Knights.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820

Batman & Robin
    Batman Inc.
    Aquaman
    Action Comics
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    That's pretty tough. I'm liking alot of the new 52 right now. I guess I'd have to go with...
    Swamp thing
    Animal man
    Earth 2
    Justice league.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Still buying pretty much everything I started with. Did drop Superman and Detective. Will be dropping Stormwatch.
  • Options
    Ill just be glad when this long mediocre Elseworld series is finally over.
  • Options
    batlaw said:

Ill just be glad when this long mediocre Elseworld series is finally over.

I see things that make me think it could end, but then I see things that make me think it will be continuing for quite awhile.

Oh, and my four are:

Batman
    Batman Inc
    Animal Man
    Swamp Thing
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Supergirl - slave to the character
    Demon Knights - it's too damn good not to keep buying
    Wonder Woman - for daring to do something different
    Legion of Super-Heroes - because Levitz needs to remain employed. :)
  • Options
    DmanDman Posts: 163
    For the first two months, these were the titles I read:
    Action Comics
    Batgirl
    Batman
    Batwing
    Detective Comics
    Justice League
    Legion of Super Heroes
    Savage Hawkman
    Stormwatch
    Suicide Squad
    Superman
    Teen Titans
    Wonder Woman

Now it’s only:
    Earth 2
    Justice League
    Wonder Woman

At some point I’ll probably go back and read Batman because I keep hearing such great things about these Court of Owls or whatever the hell they’re called. I’ll probably go back and read Batgirl because I do love my Barbara Gordon as Batgirl. The one great thing to come out of all this, for me personally, is that I’m totally digital now and I love it.

I go more deep with my thoughts regarding DC’s New 52 in the Episode 1271 Talkback: DC's New 52: One Year Later thread
  • Options
    One year later I can't touch any of the Teen Titan's characters and Lobdell has rendered that entire section of the DCnU uninteresting and frustrating for me. Having Tim, Bart, Conner, and Cassie as characters I lump in with the Image turds hurts but that's where they're relegated.

Wonder Woman and Aquaman are two of my favorite titles. Finally. Wonder Woman in particular is excellent. The one book where I am impatiently waiting for it month after month.

Snyder continues to work well with Batman and Johns is still making Green Lantern a fun ride for me.

Demon Knights and All Star Western are major hits for me.

Action Comics has been hit and miss. Overall I'd say I have enjoyed it though.

Red Hood and the Outlaws
    is surprisingly great. This is the one totally rebooted elsworlds feeling title that I love. Roy and Jason together just works and the stories have been really interesting.

Supergirl is better for me than any of her older versions. But it doesn't gel for me in this universe at this time with Superman being so young and new too.

Batwing and I, Vampire were unexpectedly enjoyable with the first being a infinitely more enjoyable, creative, and interesting that it had any right to be as a bat-knock off in africa.

Pretty much everything else has sucked though. The stuff I have enjoyed didn't need a reboot to happen. Anything with Wildstorm/Image people has been awful. I liked Voodoo early on but once it tied to the silly BS happening in Grifter I was out.

JLI was unreadable. Too much happening simultaneously maybe. That team just seemed completely excessive and the book was not enjoyable on any level for me. Which sucks when talking about a team with Booster, Fire, and Ice.

Justice League Is as bad as anything I have read in the nU and it is impossible for me to find the writer of Aquaman, Green Lantern, or the old JSA in these pages. Even in the Shazam stuff. I just finally gave up.

Green Arrow is bland and boring as anything could possibly be. I was actually looking forward to a modern version of the character to some extent but they completely failed.

Savage Hawkman is more like Unsalvageable Hawkman. So much was going well for him in the old Universe and then they blew it by making him some 90's douche bag. Horrible decision on the part of everyone involved.

Many books just don't hold up to thier old counterparts.

Bryan Q Miller's Stephanie Brown book was everything that Gail's Batgirl is trying to be (charming, whitty, fun, 'coming of age' kind of stories) but can't quite manage.

Suicide Squad can't hold a candle to Secret Six.

Bird's of Prey isn't even close.

Blue Beetle is okay but it's rather soon for a retelling of his origon and the original was better.

Batman and Robin seemed to throw away all of Damien's growth from under Dick's training. Then the close to "battle of the Robin's" with Dick and Damien seemed to acknowledge that. It almost seemed like confirmation to me that while Bruce may be Damien's dad, Dick is his teacher and mentor. Or should be anyway.

• Options
    Gadabout said:

Bryan Q Miller's Stephanie Brown book was everything that Gail's Batgirl is trying to be (charming, whitty, fun, 'coming of age' kind of stories) but can't quite manage.

Can I get an amen! :) I've been enjoying Gail's run on this book, but even as I enjoy it in the back of my mind was "We sacrificed Steph for this..." :(

• Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Torchsong said:

Gadabout said:

Can I get an amen! :) I've been enjoying Gail's run on this book, but even as I enjoy it in the back of my mind was "We sacrificed Steph for this..." :(

AMEN!!! Praise be to Steph under the guiding hand of Bryan Q., for she was Good.
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    I just recently read the first 12 issues of Teen Titans. I don't think I had ever read a Teen Titans comic before and was unfamliar with all of the characters except for Tim Drake, Wonder Girl, and Superboy. But, obviously this incarnation of Superboy is brand new and very different and my experience with Wonder Girl is extremely limited.

I got the series from the library, so price was not a factor. After reading it would I consider buying it? hmmmmmmm...... If the price was right, I'd consider it. I would definently not buy it for the off the rack price. There are some things I liked and some things I didn't like

Like: I like that the characters aren't all miniature versions of someone else. Tim is part of the bat family, and superboy is part of the Super family. But since this is a new incarnation of Superboy he really doesn't feel at all like just a younger version of Superman. Wonder Girl might be a younger version of Wonder Woman, I don't know. Never read WW so for me, Wonder Girl is basically all new and her own character. I think I like her character and like the way her armor is something that comes out of her skin, and is actually painful. Thats kind of interesting to me. Then there are the others, Solstice and Kid Flash. Kid Flash again, could be considered a little Flash... but they start hinting early on that he's something else. And again, I've never read Flash... so he felt very much like his own character. Bunker is unique to me and I like his attitude in the comic. I also enjoy the art a lot.

Don't Like: I am not a fan at all of Robin's costume with the crisscrossing straps and pouches. Also not a fan of Superboy's look at all. Not sure who came up with that, but I hate it. A lot. I also don't really like Scott Lobdell's writing. Since its a new series with new characters and new incarnations of characters, to me it seems like they could have afforded to slow down with the N.O.W.H.E.R.E stuff. Let us breathe a little with the characters and with the idea of what N.O.W.H.E.R.E is. Maybe it felt differently to people who read it over the course of the year, but reading it over the course of a couple days made it seem like I got to the end of issue 12 not really having any idea who Solstice, Bunker and Wonder Girl are. Did Solstice and Bunker exist before? Also, I feel very strongly that Lobdell's dialogue is horrible and that every other issue he turns Tim into a total douche for seemingly no reason.
  • Options
    Solstice, Bunker and Skitter are new characters. Pretty much every iteration of the Titans (barring a few notable exceptions) have had some form of Robin, Wonder Girl, and Kid Flash, going back to the 1960s days. So far I'm enjoying the Titans book, but I grew up with the Wolfman/Perez version and that's a tough act to try and top. I've only read the first trade of it, but I like that so far we really don't know much behind a lot of these characters yet.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I love Solstice and Bunker. And I was never a huge Bart Allen fan, but I really do like this Kid Flash.
  • Options
    why do I hate the new52 more as it goes on instead of less? at this point shouldnt it grow on me or become less offensive or just less of a noticeable / big deal?
    Oh man oh man everything just bugs the hell out of me and I feel like im in the twilight zone where everybody is crazy but me and cant see how aweful it all is. Or am I the crazy one and everyone that likes the new52 is sane?... im losing my mind.
  • Options
    batlaw said:

why do I hate the new52 more as it goes on instead of less? at this point shouldnt it grow on me or become less offensive or just less of a noticeable / big deal?
    Oh man oh man everything just bugs the hell out of me and I feel like im in the twilight zone where everybody is crazy but me and cant see how aweful it all is. Or am I the crazy one and everyone that likes the new52 is sane?... im losing my mind.

No, I'm pretty much with you. There's a few things I do like, but for the most part, I think the New52 is turning out, more and more, to be a big mistake.

• Options
    DmanDman Posts: 163

batlaw said:

No, I'm pretty much with you. There's a few things I do like, but for the most part, I think the New52 is turning out, more and more, to be a big mistake.
    batlaw and Chuck_Melville, I'm right with you two.
  • Options
    batlaw said:

"We're all mad here..."

I think DC had to know they were going to lose some readers in the hopes of gaining others. I'd be lying if I said I loved every single aspect of the New52 Universe (and it's not "New" anymore so I think it's time to just call it the DCU or something else). I don't. But I don't buy the things I don't like or agree with, but focus instead on the things I *do* like. And there's a lot to like right now in the DCU as well. I'm back reading Batman again. If you'd told me five years ago I'd be regularly reading Aquaman or Wonder Woman, I'd have laughed, but both are top-o-the-stack books right now. And the things they're taking chances on have been hit (Demon Knights) or miss (Blackhawks) but god bless 'em for trying.

I'm excited about some of the books coming out for Marvel Now...but I know I'll end up dropping some because they won't be what I'd expected or I just flat out won't like them. The solution is easy...throw that money towards books I *do* like.