Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

DREDD movie reviews

Comments

• Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    So.... recommended for someone whose only real exposure to Dredd were Batman crossovers?
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    "I am the bomb."
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    edited September 2012

So.... recommended for someone whose only real exposure to Dredd were Batman crossovers?

Yes. It's a great action film in its own right.
    Please go see it. Tell your friends to see it. Tell CGS to see it and review it
  • Options
    No Dark Judges for us then :(
  • Options
    You never know. It's a great standalone movie as it is.
  • Options
    sandmansandman Posts: 199

I don't think that you have to be steeped in Dredd lore to enjoy the movie. All I know about the character is what he looks like, and I've never read his comics, but I liked this movie. Its a cool action movie.
  • Options
    Thanks @Caliban and @Sandman.

Looks like I have a DVD to rent in the future.
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    A tweet from Chris Seifert @comicbookdb
    "Saw Dredd. Loved it."

'nuff said
  • Options
    danGPdanGP Posts: 65
    Just got back from Dredd and loved it. Without spoiling anything things I really liked about it were:

-Rather than go for a mega epic storyline they just went for a day in the life of Dredd. Admittedly a crazy violent one but you get the impression this is business as usual for him.

-Urban totally nailed Dredd.

-The 70's type feel of the movie. I'm not sure what it was but it put me in mind of movies like The French Connection and Serpico.

- The "realistic" interpretation of MC1. I didn't like the look of it from the trailer but in hindsight I think it worked well. The crazy architecture of the comic probably wouldn't have worked so well in this world.

- Lena Heady's Ma Ma. A good example of quiet being more effective than loud when playing evil. Great to see Wood Harris (Avon Barksdale from the Wire) as well.

- Did I mention its REALLY violent?
  • Options
    I want to see this, being that I'm jumping on with the new IDW series and have no prior knowledge of Dred or 2000 AD whatsoever
  • Options
    Maybe it'll become a cult classic.
  • Options
    danGPdanGP Posts: 65
    I see it going the same way as Hellboy and Kick-Ass. Under performing in cinemas but with a strong secondary market performance with DVD, Blu-ray sales etc. Both of those films earned sequels so there could be hope yet.
  • Options
    Finally saw it today, I liked that they realised they couldn't do a sprawling epic with the budget they had, so focused it as danGP said, into 'a day in the life' of Dredd. I was a bit surprised there was no mention of Psi-Division with regard to maybe Anderson being assigned there.
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    Just saw it tonight, I really enjoyed it...My only real complaint is that sometimes Urban loses his voice (it fluctuates between gravelly and the Doctor McCoy voice he used in Star Trek).
  • Options
    Seems like the foreign audience is approaching the film the same way. After 9 days, Dredd has only made $10.8M in North America and $10.1M overseas.

At this rate, it's going to be a hurdle just matching the production budget of $50M, much less making a profit and warranting further films.

It's a shame that a movie with brand recognition like Resident Evil, which has tepid reviews, can make nearly $176M by it's 3rd weekend, but a film that has almost no brand recognition outside of Europe and has overall positive reviews, probably won't make it past $30M by it's 3rd weekend.
  • Options
    Res evil has had four movies to build loyalty and a guaranteed BO, much like trek. Dredd is fighting the bad taste stallone's version left.
    As I have said in many other posts, September is the worst month of the year for movies. $10mil is normal. Not great/not a flop. If it has legs it can meet what it needs to get a sequel.
    It should stay steady for a couple weeks. With strong word of mouth the BO will go up for the second weekend meaning it should drop 20-30% rather than 50%+.
  • Options
    Well right now it looks like looper stole its audience.
  • Options

Res evil has had four movies to build loyalty and a guaranteed BO, much like trek. Dredd is fighting the bad taste stallone's version left.
    As I have said in many other posts, September is the worst month of the year for movies. $10mil is normal. Not great/not a flop. If it has legs it can meet what it needs to get a sequel.
    It should stay steady for a couple weeks. With strong word of mouth the BO will go up for the second weekend meaning it should drop 20-30% rather than 50%+.

I knew you'd go see it, Mike...come hell or high...you're the geek that appreciates 2000ad/Judge Dredd and it's huge influence on the US market. And Kudos to Jamie D for seeing it too. I think it will do okay and will do amazing sales on Dvd/Blu Ray. Even if it doesn't warrant a sequel, we got a kick-ass Dredd movie. Dredd at his purest.

Just can't bring myself to forgive the CGS crew for not doing some sort of spotlight. Dredd is NOT a minor comic book character. Excuses can, and will be given. The enthusiasm with CGS is gone.

Now lets talk about the top 5 costumes...or top 5 food superheroes eat...or top 5 brand name socks they buy.

Goodby CGS. It was fun while it lasted.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    edited October 2012
    tazmaniak said:

Seems like the foreign audience is approaching the film the same way. After 9 days, Dredd has only made $10.8M in North America and $10.1M overseas.

At this rate, it's going to be a hurdle just matching the production budget of $50M, much less making a profit and warranting further films.

It's a shame that a movie with brand recognition like Resident Evil, which has tepid reviews, can make nearly $176M by it's 3rd weekend, but a film that has almost no brand recognition outside of Europe and has overall positive reviews, probably won't make it past $30M by it's 3rd weekend.

Don't think all of Europe knows Judge Dredd. Please note that 2000AD is hardly known outside the UK. Unfortunately within Europe not all comics are crossing the borders. There are many awesome French, German, Italian,etc.. comics that never are translated into other languages. And I fear Judge Dredd also lacks in that departement. At the same time we read Japanese books all over the globe......

• Options
    I've finally seen it.

Holy shit was this good. It deserves a sequel that we're never going to get.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087

I've finally seen it.

Holy shit was this good. It deserves a sequel that we're never going to get.

And it's all YOUR fault. Why, oh why, did you wait so long to watch it. :P

But yes - the movie delivers.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

I knew you'd go see it, Mike...come hell or high...you're the geek that appreciates 2000ad/Judge Dredd and it's huge influence on the US market. And Kudos to Jamie D for seeing it too. I think it will do okay and will do amazing sales on Dvd/Blu Ray. Even if it doesn't warrant a sequel, we got a kick-ass Dredd movie. Dredd at his purest.

Just can't bring myself to forgive the CGS crew for not doing some sort of spotlight. Dredd is NOT a minor comic book character. Excuses can, and will be given. The enthusiasm with CGS is gone.

Now lets talk about the top 5 costumes...or top 5 food superheroes eat...or top 5 brand name socks they buy.

Yikes, just saw this post by @Flintlockjaw. That's a bit harsh. Were you looking for a spotlight on the movie (which I thought was amazing & watched 2 times the first week it was out on Blu-ray) or something more like the spotlight episode series? I'm not sure if any of the guys have read anything of Dredd.

I read the first Case Files and truthfully, I thought it was dreadful. It took me a long time to get through it. After seeing the movie, I expected a little...more from the comics.

M
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Matt said:

Yikes, just saw this post by @Flintlockjaw. That's a bit harsh. Were you looking for a spotlight on the movie (which I thought was amazing & watched 2 times the first week it was out on Blu-ray) or something more like the spotlight episode series? I'm not sure if any of the guys have read anything of Dredd.

I read the first Case Files and truthfully, I thought it was dreadful. It took me a long time to get through it. After seeing the movie, I expected a little...more from the comics.

M
    To be fair, it rings pretty true. Pretty sure that every Christmas episode that the geeks receive 2000AD related trades as part of the Caliban care package. I can't recall a follow-up review comments on any of them. Maybe that's part of the stay positive vibe of the show.

Granted, there was a listener feedback episode for Dredd, but as far as doing any of the same sort of coverage as has been offered to the Big 2 plus Star Wars/Star Trek, Doctor Who, Hellboy and a host of other properties - it just hasn't been there for Dredd and that's something that Flint had brought up in numerous voicemails.

• Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I'd say the comment rings fairly true given that you've covered Bede before, as well as manga (do you guys even do a 5 Minutes of Manga anymore?) - While Flint loves playing the "Everything Comes Back to 2000AD" game with me, a lot of times it rings true. Many of the artists and writers we revere today cut their teeth working for 2000AD. Some still do.

This is not necessarily a condemnation - it's your show, do what you want with it - but it's a disservice to ignore 2000AD's contribution to comics, particularly its role as a fertile ground for a good-sized chunk of Marvel and DC's current writers.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    My initial thought, What a strange hill to make your stand on. I mean, I understand the frustration with the Geeks not covering the film in some way (although I do remember there being brief talk about it and how most of them--if not all of those that saw it--enjoyed the film), but I think @Flintlockjaw's anger is misplaced. Does he really think that a positive Geek review would save the franchise? I'm still waiting for the Geeks review of The Wolverine, Iron Man 3, Red 2, G.I. Joe Retaliation, Adventures of Tintin...

C'mon. These guys aren't being paid to go see these movies and they're not paid to put out their FREE podcast. I would argue that Judge Dredd is not a mainstream comic book character. Is he huge over in England? Sure. Probably. I'm not really sure because I've never been there. Over in America though, any mention of Judge Dredd is probably linked to a vague memory of Stallone saying in broken English, "I am da law!" from an obscure movie that people think may be Demolition Man, but aren't sure. If this is what it takes for you to enjoy the entertainment that these men put out for free, then good riddance. Our community doesn't need narrowed definitions of what is canon in order to be an official member of geek/comic/film culture. I'm so fed up with the negativity in the expectations for the podcast. IT'S FREE! Don't like what they're doing? Start your own effing podcast. In fact, I believe CGS gives you a forum to even advertise your podcast. You know what? Here's your ball. Take it and go home. We'll find another game to play...
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    fredzilla said:

My initial thought, What a strange hill to make your stand on. I mean, I understand the frustration with the Geeks not covering the film in some way (although I do remember there being brief talk about it and how most of them--if not all of those that saw it--enjoyed the film), but I think @Flintlockjaw's anger is misplaced. Does he really think that a positive Geek review would save the franchise? I'm still waiting for the Geeks review of The Wolverine, Iron Man 3, Red 2, G.I. Joe Retaliation, Adventures of Tintin...

C'mon. These guys aren't being paid to go see these movies and they're not paid to put out their FREE podcast. I would argue that Judge Dredd is not a mainstream comic book character. Is he huge over in England? Sure. Probably. I'm not really sure because I've never been there. Over in America though, any mention of Judge Dredd is probably linked to a vague memory of Stallone saying in broken English, "I am da law!" from an obscure movie that people think may be Demolition Man, but aren't sure. If this is what it takes for you to enjoy the entertainment that these men put out for free, then good riddance. Our community doesn't need narrowed definitions of what is canon in order to be an official member of geek/comic/film culture. I'm so fed up with the negativity in the expectations for the podcast. IT'S FREE! Don't like what they're doing? Start your own effing podcast. In fact, I believe CGS gives you a forum to even advertise your podcast. You know what? Here's your ball. Take it and go home. We'll find another game to play...

I think that it's more than that. As Torchsong and I both indicated in our most recent replies. Is Dredd mainstream in the States? Most certainly not, but then isn't that part of geek culture? That said, they're getting to be dated appearances now, but Dredd's saturation into Stateside culture isn't quite as minimized as you suggest - he made the cover of an Anthrax album (as well as being the feature of a song) and was on the cover of a 2000 AD issue being read in the Cult of Personality video by In Living Color as well, I'm sure, of other references that I've either missed or forgotten.

More to the original point, it seems to be less about the dismissal of the movie and more about near complete disregard for the influence that 2000 AD had on modern US comics by being the incubator for so many of the British Invasion creators.

• Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    A short list of people who worked/continue to work for 2000AD.

Dan Abnett
    Simon Bisley
    Brian Bolland
    Alan Davis
    Steve Dillon
    Garth Ennis
    Neil Gaiman
    Dave Gibbons
    Ian Gibson
    Alan Grant
    Jock
    Cam Kennedy
    Brendan McCarthy
    Mark Millar
    Peter Milligan
    Alan Moore
    Grant Morrison
    Kevin O'Neill
    Richard Starkings
    Bryan Talbot

Sure, Dredd isn't necessarily a household word stateside, but many of these people are. That's where 2000AD's contribution comes from. Dredd just happens to be their most well-known creation (personally I'm a Nikolai Dante fan, myself! :) ).

So it's not a question of telling the guys what they ought to cover. They're not my bitches...but to ignore 2000AD shows a sort-sightedness if the goal is to cover a wide spectrum of comics.

Did I say "spectrum"?

www.comicspectrum.com :)

(Cheap plug)
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited December 2013
    hauberk said:

fredzilla said:

I think that it's more than that. As Torchsong and I both indicated in our most recent replies. Is Dredd mainstream in the States? Most certainly not, but then isn't that part of geek culture? That said, they're getting to be dated appearances now, but Dredd's saturation into Stateside culture isn't quite as minimized as you suggest - he made the cover of an Anthrax album (as well as being the feature of a song) and was on the cover of a 2000 AD issue being read in the Cult of Personality video by In Living Color as well, I'm sure, of other references that I've either missed or forgotten.

More to the original point, it seems to be less about the dismissal of the movie and more about near complete disregard for the influence that 2000 AD had on modern US comics by being the incubator for so many of the British Invasion creators.
    I can understand that. However, I think it's also BS that in order to appreciate a current writer/artist's work we are made to seek out and are expected to like the work that incubated their greatness. I get that there's these conversations happen: "You liked Brian Bolland's recent work on Hellboy?! You should check out the stuff he did for Judge Dredd in 2000 AD!" However, it doesn't need to be reduced to a "you will like this or else" mentality. Comic culture is such a big playground, you should not be expected to have to play on every piece of equipment. I'm not saying that you can't be made aware of something that was previously unknown to you, but to get upset, let alone quit a community where you're most likely to find others with your same admiration for a series, that someone is not as much of a fan as you is pretty silly.

Plebeian: "I love the Walking Dead TV show! I'm a huge fan! It is so good!"
    Geek: "You should really check out the comic book. The storyline is a little different, but it is still just as compelling."
    Plebeian: "Nah, I tried it once, but it wasn't for me. I just really like the new TV show."
    Geek: "Eff you, you're not a fan. You can't appreciate the TV show without acknowledging the comic book."
    It's the geek equivalent of being a hipster.