Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Batman #0 rant

I'm surprised nobody's talking about the backup story in Batman #0. Am I the only one who was annoyed by this?

1. I've always liked Tim Drake. I haven't read much of the new 52 Teen Titans, but from what I'd seen, his back story was changed but "who he was" was not really. I'm assuming that's supposed to be Tim "Drake" (or whatever his name is now) in Batman #0 and he's now an obnoxious punk. That's not the Tim I know. While I've been reading comics (and Batman in particular) since I was old enough to read, I began seriously collecting a little bit before Tim Drake was introduced. While I also read the first appearances of Jason Todd, it was more sporadic at the time so I've followed Tim from the start and he's kinda like "my Robin." It doesn't hurt that he is a likable, interesting character. Or at least he was. So much for that.
2. All three of these Robins seemed to be about the same age. This is clearly a result of editorial mucking about because in the first issue of Batman, they were drawn to be three clear and distinct age groups. No specific ages were given, but they all seemed to be in the same general grouping.
3. The whole Robin age fiasco was resolved by DC by them saying that super heroes were only around for 5 years, but Batman was operating in the shadows for longer than that. Here we get the answer to how much longer (this is a complaint about the first story rather than the backup). A whole year. So Damian was conceived before Bruce became Batman?
4. A minor nitpick compared to some of these others, but it was kinda annoying the way they played off on the fact that Tim took the SATs in middle school to make him look like some kind of genius. I took the SATs in 7th grade and got a higher score than my cousin who was in high school taking them to get into college (not a lot higher, but still higher). And while I guess I'm a pretty smart guy, I'm certainly no genius and there was no way I was prepared for college at that age like they were implying that he was. Keep in mind that that was a while ago, so maybe the SATs have changed since then, but I think it would have made him look like more of a genius to show him passing an actual college exam or grad school entrance exam or something along those lines. Of course the implications that he was a genius for doing this were from Tim rather than the guy from the school, but the reason I got to take the SATs at that age was because at my school, they let people who scored above a certain score on the achievement tests take the SATs in 7th grade. It was a routine occurrence and it was a routine occurrence for people to do rather well on them. So the idea that a school administrator would give him the test to humble him and make him look bad and have it backfire was unrealistic to me.

Comments

• Options
    I haven't read it because I've already given up on the Batman titles, save for a very few: Batman & Robin, Batwing, Batman, Inc and Batman Beyond Unlimited. And for the duration of the upcoming Joker story arc, I'm even dropping Batman & Robin; time will tell if I pick it up again. In general, I'm just not happy either with the stories or the general direction of the Bat-books, and the Robin situation is only part of my discontent.
  • Options
    JCBJCB Posts: 51
    If there was ever something that is bugging me about editoral, it's the retcons of the Robin characters. They've undone all of the great character building by Chuck Dixon on Nightwing and Robin. As good as Scott Snyder has been, it's not enough when you keep changing what was done before. I'm sure there's a way to make all those years fit, even if you have Batman exist BEFORE the 5 year mark as the first superhero for DC, or an urban legend, or what have you. So. Much. BLAHHHH /rant

• Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727

I haven't read it because I've already given up on the Batman titles, save for a very few: Batman & Robin, Batwing, Batman, Inc and Batman Beyond Unlimited. And for the duration of the upcoming Joker story arc, I'm even dropping Batman & Robin; time will tell if I pick it up again. In general, I'm just not happy either with the stories or the general direction of the Bat-books, and the Robin situation is only part of my discontent.

The thing is that I love what they're doing with the Batman titles, except for the Robin situation, in particular Tim Drake.
  • Options
    Yeah.

It is almost like DC editorial heard people talking about how the Batman universe didn't really change with the New 52 reboot/relaunch/whatever, and said, "Quick! Change stuff so they don't notice that Batman was working just fine before!"

Tim Drake was a great character. A well-thought out, logical successor to the Robin mantle, made distinctive from the previous characters that had that role.

I was very irked when I read this, and, suddenly, Tim's a gymnast? One of the best parts of Tim was that he didn't have that background, that he was more of a natural detective, and once he became Robin, he had to undergo that training, traveling the world without Batman to get it, allowing use to come to know him as a character.

Quite simply, there was nothing - nothing - wrong with the character or his overall story arc before. Changing him for change's sake... bad form.
  • Options

Yeah.

It is almost like DC editorial heard people talking about how the Batman universe didn't really change with the New 52 reboot/relaunch/whatever, and said, "Quick! Change stuff so they don't notice that Batman was working just fine before!"

Tim Drake was a great character. A well-thought out, logical successor to the Robin mantle, made distinctive from the previous characters that had that role.

I was very irked when I read this, and, suddenly, Tim's a gymnast? One of the best parts of Tim was that he didn't have that background, that he was more of a natural detective, and once he became Robin, he had to undergo that training, traveling the world without Batman to get it, allowing use to come to know him as a character.

Quite simply, there was nothing - nothing - wrong with the character or his overall story arc before. Changing him for change's sake... bad form.

Was Tim a gymnast in Batman #0 or was that a Teen Titans thing? Because I don't remember that. I might have missed it in light of everything else I was upset about. Namely, that it didn't take a tragedy for Tim to become Robin, he did it because he was just a good kid who wanted to help. He was neglected by his parents, but it was more out of his parent's ignorance than any maliciousness. He came from a mostly good home with a good life and looked up to Batman. This Tim is a cocky ass. He's the post-Crisis Jason, except that they also tweaked Jason in Batman #0 but I liked what they did to him.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    I just researched some of this Tim Drake business. Really? Witness Protection gave him the name "Tim Drake?!" This is the crap that has kept me away from the New 52. If it's not broken,...

M.
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    edited October 2012
    I'm not talking about it because I have tapped out. I was a HUGE DC fan before the reboot (and I don't care, it WAS a reboot) and now I just don't care.

Characters are unlikable. Plots are fanfiction. Art is 90's posing and shiny, shiny weapons. Stories aren't STORIES with beginnings, middles and ends, but a collection of stuff that happens. All of the hacks from the 90's that made Marvel such a mess they had to get rid of the EIC after he screwed up EVERY opportunity to bring in new readers on a massive scale have been brought it and handed the keys to the kingdom.

The thing that I hate about how they've played with the Robin timeline is that it feels like they are fixing it as they go...and they are hinting that one of them was a plant by the Joker...because the Joker is a mastermind who relies on long term planning.

I follow creators, not characters. DC has pretty much flushed the idea that you hire great people and guide them to do good work. Morrison's leaving DC and so am I.
  • Options

I'm not talking about it because I have tapped out. I was a HUGE DC fan before the reboot (and I don't care, it WAS a reboot) and now I just don't care.

Characters are unlikable. Plots are fanfiction. Art is 90's posing and shiny, shiny weapons. Stories aren't STORIES with beginnings, middles and ends, but a collection of stuff that happens. All of the hacks from the 90's that made Marvel such a mess they had to get rid of the EIC after he screwed up EVERY opportunity to bring in new readers on a massive scale have been brought it and handed the keys to the kingdom.

The thing that I hate about how they've played with the Robin timeline is that it feels like they are fixing it as they go...and they are hinting that one of them was a plant by the Joker...because the Joker is a mastermind who relies on long term planning.

I follow creators, not characters. DC has pretty much flushed the idea that you hire great people and guide them to do good work. Morrison's leaving DC and so am I.

And I'm 90% in agreement with that.

The only excuse Marvel had in the 90's was that they were pushed HARD in that direction by their then-CEO, Ron Perelman, who was trying to get the most buck out of the company without any real concern for story or fan, and forced the company to generate as many books with as many gimmicks as the market would bear. I don't think -- or, at least, I don't know -- that DC has that excuse.
  • Options
    They really needed to keep all the timelines vague. "A few years ago", etc. Basically all stories just needed to rest before or after certain milestone events. Pre-New 52, when you looked at the age spread of the Robins and Batman's age (as far as that was even hinted at), it never really added up. Which was fine, because no one tried to add it up. Now, knowing so-and-so was Robin for one year, etc. will just fall by the wayside anyway as soon as you have too many existing storylines to fit in a year.
  • Options
    DC used to have a fairly flexible timeline that was printed on at least two occasions that I can recall: once after Crisis On Infinite Earths and once after Zero Hour. They placed events as having occurred at some point, some years before the present, rather than locking it into a specific date (with some obvious exceptions, such as linking the JSA with WW II). So, Superman first appeared ten years ago, Batman debuted ten years ago, Dick Grayson became Robin nine years ago, etc. It wasn't perfect, but fairly believable given the then-current status of the DCU. I think DC is a bit more hard-put to attain that same degree of believability with the 'it all started five years ago' decree.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    I didn't think the boys all appeared to be the same age. and in general i liked the story. i liked the pre-batman bruce experimenting with his crime fighting mission. i enjopyed the back-up story as a kind of "where were you when"...Kennedy was shot, the World Trade Center was attacked, you first saw the Bat-signal. i can see that being a defining moment in all their lives and i can see it coming at a point before any of them had become involved with the bat. i get the frusteration with the condensed timeline but really, comics have alwasy operated on a kind of loose sliding scale. i keep what i like and jettison the rest. the whole universe is a giant collection of else-worlds in my book.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I'm with Chuck. They could benefit from a "master timeline" to try and create at least some semblance of unity.

The Robin mess doesn't bother me. One good writer can fix it, make you believe it, and have you going "duh!" in the wink of an eye. Problem is, they've not brought that writer in yet, so we're left to fan conjecture and hand-wringing.

I've actually been enjoying the bat-titles, in spite of themselves.
  • Options
    sure i'm with chuck too. i like the idea of having a loose timeline/guideline and probably a sliding decade would be more manageable than the tight 5 year squeeze but either way i'm cherry picking what i want to keep and customizing my own mental continuity anyway.
  • Options
    random73 said:

I didn't think the boys all appeared to be the same age. and in general i liked the story. i liked the pre-batman bruce experimenting with his crime fighting mission. i enjopyed the back-up story as a kind of "where were you when"...Kennedy was shot, the World Trade Center was attacked, you first saw the Bat-signal. i can see that being a defining moment in all their lives and i can see it coming at a point before any of them had become involved with the bat. i get the frusteration with the condensed timeline but really, comics have alwasy operated on a kind of loose sliding scale. i keep what i like and jettison the rest. the whole universe is a giant collection of else-worlds in my book.

Two points.
    1. I liked the first story.
    2. The "5 years" is annoying and shows a lack of this being well-thought out, but it's something I can overlook. The change in character to Tim was what I found far far far more grating. In general, the loss of the Tim Drake character is my biggest gripe with the new 52 because the current Tim Drake isn't the Tim Drake I know.
  • Options
    Fair enough. For me it might be the lack of a Wally West. and i'm a little upsent that Arsenal has both of his arms at this point but if thats it...i can live with it.
  • Options
    The real Tim Drake is in the Black Lodge with Donna Troy, Raven, Wally West, Jericho, the real Amanda Waller, the real Hank Hall, Ted Kord, and all the other characters the new 52 has ruined.
  • Options
    In the early 90's I walked out of a comic shop one day and didnt return for about 22 years. In that time I flicked through the odd trade now and then, then one day about 20 months ago I listened to CGS and it got me interested again. Sadly now with all the DC new 52 and the Marvel Now crap I think it maybe that time again.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    edited October 2012
    I will add on to this with a Green Lantern time line rant that does not deserve its own thread. Everything from the pre 52 universe is still in tact or have been referenced (sinestro corp war, blackest knight, brightest day, war of green lanterns) but it has not been explained how it fits in the new 52. If book was an island to itself, fine. It just however had the new 52 justice league make an appearance. And now there is another earth green lantern which has caused the title to grind to a halt. I decided to drop the title after 8 years.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178

The real Tim Drake is in the Black Lodge with Donna Troy, Raven, Wally West, Jericho, the real Amanda Waller, the real Hank Hall, Ted Kord, and all the other characters the new 52 has ruined.

Please add Capt Marvel (Shazam) to the characters ruined list. Billy Batson went from being someone the wizard found of being pure at heart to "having the potiential for good" and being mostly a brat.
  • Options
    I'm becoming increasingly dissatisfied with most of the New52 series to the extent that I'm dropping books that I've been reading for twenty years or longer. This is the first time I've ever willingly dropped the majority of the Batman titles, and most of what I'm retaining are the fringe Bat-books.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200

But is Dale Cooper still in the Black Lodge?
  • Options
    dubbat138 said:

My log has something to tell you...

...the stories still exist in your mind!
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207

dubbat138 said:

My log has something to tell you...

...the stories still exist in your mind!
    ;)) ?remlaP arauL ekil stuj skool ehs kniht ouy t'noD...nisuoc ym si sihT
  • Options
    I've got good news. That gum you like is going to come back in style.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I'm reading this while having some damn good coffee.
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

I'm reading this while having some damn good coffee.

May I suggest a flavor known as Highlander Grogg? It is my coffee of choice.
    Blue Moon is my beer of choice.
    Pepsi is my soda of choice.
    apparently i like it sweet.

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited October 2012
    Late to this thread. I did read Batman #0. . . and I must have missed something. We got a peek at Tim Drake, and most of what I saw is that there is a story to be told there we haven't seen yet, but that what made him become Robin still seems to be connected to Batman. And it may yet be that he directly worked with Batman, we just haven't seen that story yet. I took the story beat about him getting the dirt on the headmaster to be a hint of the story we may yet still see where Drake figures out who Batman is.

There was not much Drake in this backup story, but I thought the thing everyone was pissed about was that a Teen Titans issue made it seem like Lobdell might (only might, I don't know that it has been confirmed yet in the work) be separating Drake from the Bat-family. But I saw this backup story as including him amongst the rest of the proteges and family, which gave me the feeling we will still see a story in the New 52 that connects Drake with Batman.

I thought that is what people wanted a few weeks ago? To still have Drake connected to the Bat Family?
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    David_D said:

Late to this thread. I did read Batman #0. . . and I must have missed something. We got a peek at Tim Drake, and most of what I saw is that there is a story to be told there we haven't seen yet, but that what made him become Robin still seems to be connected to Batman. And it may yet be that he directly worked with Batman, we just haven't seen that story yet. I took the story beat about him getting the dirt on the headmaster to be a hint of the story we may yet still see where Drake figures out who Batman is.

There was not much Drake in this backup story, but I thought the thing everyone was pissed about was that a Teen Titans issue made it seem like Lobdell might (only might, I don't know that it has been confirmed yet in the work) be separating Drake from the Bat-family. But I saw this backup story as including him amongst the rest of the proteges and family, which gave me the feeling we will still see a story in the New 52 that connects Drake with Batman.

I thought that is what people wanted a few weeks ago? To still have Drake connected to the Bat Family?

I think people who are genuine fans of Tim Drake feel like this new incarnation is no longer the person they thought he was. Same with Stephanie Brown right?

This is only the beginning. As more of the past gets filled in I think there are going to be others whose prized second tier characters don't exist or are something drastically different then they thought.
  • Options
    David_D said:

AS far as I know, there was nothing in Teen Titans that distanced Tim's past from the Bat-family. Presently, he's more involved in Titans than the Bat-family, but that can always change. And nothing you said about Batman #0 is wrong, except that you left out a detail. The story in question is about a new character named Tim Drake who I find nowhere near as interesting as the old character named Tim Drake.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    @KyleMoyer. Fair enough. I saw so little of him in that story I feel like I can't judge yet.

A week or two ago there was a thing in the Teen Titans trade, a change, that led people to think they were going to make it do he never worked with Batman. So I figured this issue, and his appearance in #13 would put minds at ease about that.