Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Disney Buys Star Wars!

Comments

• Options
    From Nerdist: Lucas is "retiring". He's "going into another stage of life and doesn't want to be in the film business anymore". (emphasis mine)
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    Star Wars Episode 7
    "When you wish upon a Death Star"

starring Hayden Christensen as Pinocchio
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    luke52 said:

KyleMoyer said:

Star Wars 7, Avengers 2 and allegedly Justice League in the same summer?

Geek overload!!!!!

Isn't Ant Man due out in 2015 too?
    Yes, but not over the summer.
  • Options
    I am completely OK with this.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Just realized this will mean no 20th Century Fox fanfare at the beginning of the new films.

"When You Wish Upon a Star" instead?

Hmmm...
  • Options
    DryBonesDryBones Posts: 26
    edited October 2012
    I doubt they'll make too many changes...

• Options
    I was hoping for the movie to focus on Lando, as complicated intergalatic man whom noone understands but his women...
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    I'm picturing Jar-Jar Binks in Song of the South. ;)
  • Options
    fxmatt said:

Wait, does this make Princess Leia a "Disney Princess" now?

Yes.

Yes, it does.

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

fxmatt said:

Wait, does this make Princess Leia a "Disney Princess" now?

Yes.

Yes, it does.
    And Princess Imadienow as well.
  • Options
    All I know is that choosing between the megaparks down in Orlando will become much easier in the near future. Do it up right Imagineers!
  • Options
    -Disney in the works to replace monorails with AT-ATs
    -Its A Small World.... now with EWOKS!
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741

All I know is that choosing between the megaparks down in Orlando will become much easier in the near future. Do it up right Imagineers!

Maybe for you, but I've got two kids who love Harry Potter just a bit more than they love Star Wars, and we haven't been able to visit the Wizarding World of Harry Potter yet.

And wouldn’t that be “It’s a Small Galaxy, Far, Far Away”?
  • Options

Maybe for you, but I've got two kids who love Harry Potter just a bit more than they love Star Wars, and we haven't been able to visit the Wizarding World of Harry Potter yet.

Heh.

I was just down at Harry Potter earlier in the month. If your kids are younger, there's not much for them to do there except eat, shop and wander through the town. The rides (3D flying thingy and 2 coasters) may be a bit intense for youngsters. They definitely need more things for their younger guests.
  • Options

I was hoping for the movie to focus on Lando, as complicated intergalatic man whom noone understands but his women...

"You shut your mouth."

• Options

Wait, those weren't Ewoks?
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    If you dismiss the fears of a Big Brother-esque Disney sucking up everything it can and pushing the rest to the far fringe, then this is good news. Lucas was never going to do another live action film and that is where Star Wars belongs. Everything else; Dark Horse, expanded universe, Cartoon Network always felt...less to me.

Yes, there will be fears of quality control and the homogenization of the brand but honestly I felt Lucas did that to himself with the prequels. If Jar Jar Binks is not our worst fears of Disney-fying the Star Wars universe, what is? Let's see what happens but I think I am OK with this at first glance.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    Now Time Warner needs to purchase the Star Trek franchise to continue the war between them and Disney to see who can own most of the Media / entertainment world.
  • Options

And the Country Bear Jamboree with be replaced with Wookiees.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741

Heh.

I was just down at Harry Potter earlier in the month. If your kids are younger, there's not much for them to do there except eat, shop and wander through the town. The rides (3D flying thingy and 2 coasters) may be a bit intense for youngsters. They definitely need more things for their younger guests.
    My oldest is 16, and my seven-year-old is fearless. And I want to go too. Plus they're expanding into the main Universal park. Rumor is that there will be a Hogwart's Express ride connecting the two for those who have the two-park pass.

I haven't been to Disney’s Hollywood Studios park. I guess they would redesign a chunk of that to give Star Wars a bigger presence.
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207

And the Country Bear Jamboree with be replaced with Wookiees.

It would only be 37% less frightening.
    :)
  • Options

My birthday was January 27th 1977, so I was only 4 months old.

wasn't even born for another 4 years... :P
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    edited October 2012

My birthday was January 27th 1977, so I was only 4 months old.

My birth date is May the 4th, as in "May the 4th be with you". Snicker.
  • Options
    JDickJDick Posts: 206
    JoeSergi said:

I seem to recall predicting this was going to be that, logically and strategically, this would be Disney's next big acquisition way back on Episode 684. I believe you all said I was crazy.

Not saying I'm not crazy (because that would be a lie), but at least I was right.

And if we get a Star Wars (or Lucas) themed land in Hollywood Studios, I will be a happy camper.

If you are the attorney guy you predicted this during the Marvel Disney episode you are correct (as I pointed out much earlier in this thread).
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    Darkhorizons.com is now reporting the new trilogy will be based on a scripmentade by Lucas and totally unrelated to the Thrawn trilogy.....
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    Any chance that live-action Star Wars universe television show will get green lit now that Disney is at the helm?

• Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    Question: Will Marvel's acquisition of Lucasfilms Ltd. pave the way for a Muppet Babies DVD/blu-ray release? As I recall one of the legal hurdles was that the show used extensive clips from Star Wars which were licensed for television syndication. However, the footage wasn't licensed for future video releases. Now that Disney owns both these franchises it seems like these legal hurdles could be easily surmounted.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Planeis said:

Darkhorizons.com is now reporting the new trilogy will be based on a scripmentade by Lucas and totally unrelated to the Thrawn trilogy.....

I'm happy to hear that. I know the Extended Universe has its mega fans, and some of it is good and interesting (a Death Troopers movie, for instance, could be fantastic, if very, very, very, very unlikely), but I'm happy for future movies to be their own thing completely free of the yoke of pre-established continuity (continuities?).