Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Disney Buys Star Wars!

Comments

• Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    The news one misses while dodging a hurricane...
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    @DoctorDoom 's message reminds me of something I wanted to ask--

Does anyone think there is significance to this acquisition being announced on a media "dump day" given how much attention would be going to the storm (and rightly so)? I mean, news of an Episode 7 is enormous news, at least entertainment-wise. To choose to dump that story rather than maximize the coverage seems an odd choice to me. Has anyone seen any speculation as to why they timed it the way they did?
  • Options
    spidspid Posts: 203
    David_D said:

@DoctorDoom 's message reminds me of something I wanted to ask--

Does anyone think there is significance to this acquisition being announced on a media "dump day" given how much attention would be going to the storm (and rightly so)? I mean, news of an Episode 7 is enormous news, at least entertainment-wise. To choose to dump that story rather than maximize the coverage seems an odd choice to me. Has anyone seen any speculation as to why they timed it the way they did?

Doing a quick search their earnings call is next week, 11/8/2012, so I assume they wanted to get the news out before that. If they waited later they would run into Presidential coverage.
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980

While I have a lot of reservations about the sale to Disney and the news about the plans for new movies, I have no reservation whatsoever about my admiration for Lucas himself: the man is handing over the proceeds from the sale to charity: popwatch.ew.com/2012/11/01/george-lucas-disney-money-charity/

That's most of 4.05 billion dollars that he's donating to education and charity. May the Force be with you, George -- and take that, you other one-percenters!

I agree. I think a lot of people are like, "well... why doesn't he just keep running it." I think its like this: He's old, and hes be tired of making important decisions about this property that he might not really be interested in anymore. Know what I mean? Sure, Star Wars is his baby and its not as if he has to make every single decision about games, toys, comics and TV. But the major ones probably do go to him. New character designs, new cartoon designs probably do cross his desk. As much as I've loved Star Wars over the years I think I'd get sick of it to. He's made a ton of money and will continue to make a ton of money, but Star Wars is big enough that if treated right it could go on and have life for several decades.

Anyway, good for him for making a bundle and securing a long term future for Lucasarts, ILM, Skywalker Sound and Star Wars. And also good for him for desiring to give the money for education or whatever it is he wants to do. Also good for him for selling and making a bundle before taxes get jacked up and steal a bunch of it.

• Options
    Having said that, like I doubt there will be JLA in 2015 I also highly doubt there will be Star Wars 7 in 2015. Its just too soon. As an example, there were 3 years between prequals and those were things they essentially already had plans for. Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel Star Wars movies have a lot more things that need to be designed and created (ships, aliens, planets) that most movies and even much more than most sci-fi movies. Realistically I think 2016 will be much more likely. Also, from numerous things I've read it seems pretty clear the new movies will pay little to no attention to the Expanded Universe. And in someways I'm not sad. Some of the EU stuff has been nice, but some of it makes the prequals looks like pure gold.

How many times has the "super weapon" plot been used? A dozen? Cloned Emperor back from the dead was great as a comic, as a movie I think it'd be laughable. Loved Thrawn stuff, and I know thats what everyone is hoping for. But that aint gonna happen. I think the Lucas scripment he sold to Disney will probably deal with the next generation after Luke Skywalker. So the prequals will have dealt with his dad, originals with him, and the third trilogy with whatever generation (likely much much different than the EU incarnations of Jacen and Jaina) comes after him. Also, to me the Special Edition version of Return of the Jedi shows pretty clearly that for Lucas and the movie universe, the war is over after the Death Star and the Emperor is dead. I don't think he intended for the movie universe to continue 10 years of war.

Also the "star wars" movies every 1-2 years. Whew. Its a big universe. Lots of stuff they could do and its still so early. That just seems like a lot. I guess we'll find out.
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    Planeis said:

Having said that, like I doubt there will be JLA in 2015 I also highly doubt there will be Star Wars 7 in 2015. Its just too soon. As an example, there were 3 years between prequals and those were things they essentially already had plans for. Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel Star Wars movies have a lot more things that need to be designed and created (ships, aliens, planets) that most movies and even much more than most sci-fi movies. Realistically I think 2016 will be much more likely. Also, from numerous things I've read it seems pretty clear the new movies will pay little to no attention to the Expanded Universe. And in someways I'm not sad. Some of the EU stuff has been nice, but some of it makes the prequals looks like pure gold.

How many times has the "super weapon" plot been used? A dozen? Cloned Emperor back from the dead was great as a comic, as a movie I think it'd be laughable. Loved Thrawn stuff, and I know thats what everyone is hoping for. But that aint gonna happen. I think the Lucas scripment he sold to Disney will probably deal with the next generation after Luke Skywalker. So the prequals will have dealt with his dad, originals with him, and the third trilogy with whatever generation (likely much much different than the EU incarnations of Jacen and Jaina) comes after him. Also, to me the Special Edition version of Return of the Jedi shows pretty clearly that for Lucas and the movie universe, the war is over after the Death Star and the Emperor is dead. I don't think he intended for the movie universe to continue 10 years of war.

Also the "star wars" movies every 1-2 years. Whew. Its a big universe. Lots of stuff they could do and its still so early. That just seems like a lot. I guess we'll find out.

Disney may take a page from Peter Jacksons book and choose to shot several Star Wars films at the same time. It certainly worked with the "Lord of the Rings" movies.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794

But seriously, I think it's a great fit. Really looking forward to more than just the three Star Wars movies we've gotten.

I see what you did there... :)

• Options
    kiwijase said:

Planeis said:

Disney may take a page from Peter Jacksons book and choose to shot several Star Wars films at the same time. It certainly worked with the "Lord of the Rings" movies.
    I guess. I mean, its all just speculation now anyway. But suppose they did that, I'd hope they would still have at least a 2 year break between movies. I don't like it when they shoot movies together and they come out once a year for 3 years or even twice in less than a year (like with Matrix 2 and 3). As much as I love movies, its better to wait sometimes.
  • Options

Frankly, I'm a bit bummed that Lucas won't be involved with the next films. While his directing wasn't the best, I never felt they were that bad, and I was always impressed that he had a vision and worked hard to realize it. I'm not all that interested in a Star Wars that continues without his direction or oversight, and I'm really not all that pumped about another director being involved, unless Lucas is continuing as producer.

I'm kind of surprised someone has this opinion. I generally haven't met anyone who would categorize the script and direction of the prequels as anything other than bad.

That said I'm a little concerned what corporate heads would do to the franchise, but on the bright side it can't be too much worse can midiclorians and cartoon rabbits.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    edited November 2012

Frankly, I'm a bit bummed that Lucas won't be involved with the next films. While his directing wasn't the best, I never felt they were that bad, and I was always impressed that he had a vision and worked hard to realize it. I'm not all that interested in a Star Wars that continues without his direction or oversight, and I'm really not all that pumped about another director being involved, unless Lucas is continuing as producer.

I'm kind of surprised someone has this opinion. I generally haven't met anyone who would categorize the script and direction of the prequels as anything other than bad.

That said I'm a little concerned what corporate heads would do to the franchise, but on the bright side it can't be too much worse can midiclorians and cartoon rabbits.
    I agree with most of this but Jaxxon was effectively a cartoon rabbit from the old Marvel comic series and he was utterly cool and completely bada$$.
  • Options
    This news is interesting. Personally, I hope they move away from the Skywalker family in the sequels and ignore the Expanded Universe. For those of you who think using the EU is a GOOD idea, I point you to this: http://www.cracked.com/article/167_5-reasons-star-wars-sequels-would-be-worse-than-prequels/
  • Options
    Hellsfire said:

This news is interesting. Personally, I hope they move away from the Skywalker family in the sequels and ignore the Expanded Universe. For those of you who think using the EU is a GOOD idea, I point you to this: http://www.cracked.com/article/167_5-reasons-star-wars-sequels-would-be-worse-than-prequels/

Well, once upon a time (from what I recall of some of the articles that were printed shortly after the release of the original film), Lucas' original plans for chapters 7 - 9, the final trilogy, were supposed to be about the children of Han and Leia after they had grown, during the reconstruction of the Republic, and dealing with the threat of the possible reemergence of the Empire from the scattered, remaining factions. The overall series was always supposed to be about the Skywalkers through the generations, and the two droids, C3PO and R2-D2, were supposed to be the only recognizable and unchanging cast members throughout all three trilogies. Whether that original plan is still on the boards or not, I don't know, but, structurally, it makes sense to me.

Trilogy 1: the fall of the Republic and the rise of the Empire; trilogy 2: the return of the Jedi and the fall of the Empire; trilogy 3: the rise of the New Republic.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Imagine this: it's 2015 - recently there was just a teaser for Star Wars - you don't know nothing about the cast and the makers - nothing is known about the content - all you know is the release date - and now you sit in the theater - the lights go out - you hear the theme music.........

8->
  • Options

Imagine this: it's 2015 - recently there was just a teaser for Star Wars - you don't know nothing about the cast and the makers - nothing is known about the content - all you know is the release date - and now you sit in the theater - the lights go out - you hear the theme music.........

8->

"Whennnnn you wish upon a starrrrrrr..."
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

8->

"Whennnnn you wish upon a starrrrrrr..."
    It actually works pretty nicely.

Replace "star" with the first note of the Opening Theme.
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207

8->

Then...Jake Lloyd walks out on screen for Episode VII: Sorry, No Refunds!
    >:)
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    @RedRight88 : =)) almost peed laughing about that one - well done
  • Options
    Michael Arndt (writer of Toy Story 3) has written a 40-50 page treatment and three directors are being given it to look at - from bleeding cool.
  • Options
    Just thought I should mention, since we're talking about Star Wars and all, that this week is composer John Williams' 80th birthday -- and no other composer has been connected to so much sci-fi adventure as Williams, from TV's Lost In Space to Star Wars, to Raiders Of The Lost Ark and Jaws. And he's still working, having done the score for Spielberg's latest (non-sci fi) flick, Lincoln.

Happy Birthday, Mr Williams... and many more.
  • Options
    mrfusionmrfusion Posts: 186
    NOOOOoooooooooo...........
  • Options
    Might as well as have the Emperor return too and they're both clones, a la Dark Empire.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    I like the choice of Arndt considering Toy Story 3 was fantastic.

As for the Vader thing there are going to be a ton of rumors about this project, best to just move along until it's confirmed by the filmmakers.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    edited November 2012
    Greg said:
    I don't believe a word of it, but I love it.

Yes, boo me. Hate me.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    We've seen Anakin's "blue glowie" at the end of Jedi...so if Vader is back I'd have to go with a clone.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited November 2012
    Mr_Cosmic said:

We've seen Anakin's "blue glowie" at the end of Jedi...so if Vader is back I'd have to go with a clone.

"You mean you cloned me just so you could burn me up and put me in that suit? Why didn't you just build yourself a %*^*ing robot and call it a day?!?"
    - Incredulous Anakin Clone
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    David_D said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

"You mean you cloned me just so you could burn me up and put me in that suit? Why didn't you just build yourself a %*^*ing robot and call it a day?!?"
    - Incredulous Anakin Clone
    LOL

Yeah, I suppose a clone wouldn't need the suit!