Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

New 52 Dissection

Comments

• Options
    BrianBaerBrianBaer Posts: 80

@PeanutButterMustache, @WetRats:

I could see a team-up with Cyborg and Mr. Terrific down the road. Add in Karen Star and now you got an interesting triangle for drama, conflict and maybe a little romance?
    Why is cyborb the only justice leaguer with out his own title? I really am liking his character.
    Why is cyborb the only justice leaguer with out his own title?
    Because DC has so far failed to develop a black hero into an "A-lister". They had the opportunity with John Stewart, who through the animated Justice League was many people's "real" Green Lantern, but TPTB wanted Hal Jordan back, and TPTB got Hal Jordan back.

They're giving Cyborg heavy exposure now, and trying to make him an "A-lister". If it works, I'm sure they'll give him his own book.

I could see a team-up with Cyborg and Mr. Terrific down the road. Add in Karen Star and now you got an interesting triangle for drama, conflict and maybe a little romance?
    Hasn't it been rumored that Mr. Terrific will join the Justice League soon?
  • Options
    @BrianBaer... That would be interesting.... Permanent or just for a story arc? Hmmm..

:-?
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Thirded on replacing Steph. She was great in that role. One of the things I really DON'T like about the New 52.
  • Options
    BrianBaerBrianBaer Posts: 80
    @BrianBaer... That would be interesting.... Permanent or just for a story arc? Hmmm..

:-?
    No idea. I'm not sure where I read about that, either. I assume he'd be in more of a behind-the-scenes capacity, like he was on JLU.
  • Options
    Why is cyborb the only justice leaguer with out his own title? I really am liking his character.
    Why is cyborb the only justice leaguer with out his own title?
    Because DC has so far failed to develop a black hero into an "A-lister". They had the opportunity with John Stewart, who through the animated Justice League was many people's "real" Green Lantern, but TPTB wanted Hal Jordan back, and TPTB got Hal Jordan back.

They're giving Cyborg heavy exposure now, and trying to make him an "A-lister". If it works, I'm sure they'll give him his own book.

Interesting. The one thing is that it would be somewhat cradle-robbing to do Karen and Vic, because if I read the scenes in Justice League right he's like a high school senior.

• Options
    Thirded on replacing Steph. She was great in that role. One of the things I really DON'T like about the New 52.
    I don't know that they needed to do it, but I think what came out of it turned into something I liked. I loved Lemire's Superboy series before the reboot, and was bummed that it had to end, but I think the new Superboy series is still very good. The first issue of Batgirl was shaky as all get out, but the book has just kept getting better. It's starting to remind me somewhat of David's early Hulk, in that both Bruce and Barbara's attempts to cope with tragedies in their lives are contrasted with villains they face that cope with similar tragedies. May just be that I reread the issues that were out today, and read a bunch of David Hulk a coupla weeks ago.

• Options
    MiraclemetMiraclemet Posts: 258
    Had to give @Miraclemet the agree for Bryan Q. Miller's Batgirl, which for my money is one of the greatest casualties of the relaunch.
    it was sad to lose, but man the amazingness of that last issues @LibraryBoy? I still think about how great it was... (and went on to contact Pere Perez to buy the first page of the Black Mercy sequence... )

• Options

Interesting. The one thing is that it would be somewhat cradle-robbing to do Karen and Vic, because if I read the scenes in Justice League right he's like a high school senior.

That was set 5 years in the past, he should be legit at 23 now. :-\"
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    I'm considering dropping Action & Superman.

Action started so strong, but has really devolved into a murky mess. Still a lot of interesting ideas, but the storytelling is uneven, and the art is wildly inconsistent. I want to like it, but it's just not happening.

I stuck with Superman through the dreadful first arc, hoping the new team would turn things around, but their first issue is just as overwritten as the previous six.

*sigh*

At least I've still got Wonder Woman and The Flash.
  • Options
    Dave2099Dave2099 Posts: 61
    I'm considering dropping Action & Superman.

Action started so strong, but has really devolved into a murky mess. Still a lot of interesting ideas, but the storytelling is uneven, and the art is wildly inconsistent. I want to like it, but it's just not happening.
    I'm with you on that one... I actually think it was those two filler issues that did the series in for me. I hate armored, emo Superman, so bringing him into the story just killed it for me. I was really into it until those two issues.

• Options
    I'm with you on that one... I actually think it was those two filler issues that did the series in for me. I hate armored, emo Superman, so bringing him into the story just killed it for me. I was really into it until those two issues.
    Even the appearance of the Legion wasn't much fun. :(
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727

She's from Earth-2 so it's OK.
  • Options

Well, we've got high schooler schtupping their teachers now, so maybe it's a comment on the times, y'know?

"Yo Victor! You hittin' Ms. Starr? DAMN!!!"

• Options
    Well, we've got high schooler schtupping their teachers now, so maybe it's a comment on the times, y'know?
    Like that's anything new.

Inappropriate student-teacher relationships go back at least as far as Miss Crabtree playing Jackie & Chubby against each other.
  • Options
    Like that's anything new.

Inappropriate student-teacher relationships go back at least as far as Miss Crabtree playing Jackie & Chubby against each other.

Or cousins setting up each other ala Supes and Supergirl... with each other...
    :-&
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    I wasn't sure if there was already a thread discussing the second wave of DC #1s that I may have missed. But I got all five of the #1s in my last shipment, and figured keeping this thread going was a place to discuss them.

Batman Inc. #1- Glad this is back and a strong start. Burnham seems to, somehow, got even better. That man is the real deal. Morrison, from this and recent Action issues, seems to really be in the mood for taking a sort of fractured approach with a lot of time jumps. That's okay, but I think it works better in Batman than it has been in Action (which I am close to dropping).

I also like that we're getting Bruce and Damian. It feels like Inc. will get to explore Batman as leader as well as Morrison getting back to the father and son dynamic, only this time having to deal with them as partners as well.
  • Options
    Action lost me this past month... I made it thru the Collector story line and as others said. it started strong and just unwound as it went. I may try the first few issues of the new arc, but its on double secret probation.
    I climbed back on the Batgirl train (I wish I could quit you!)
    Batman continues to be the top performer....
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Action lost me, too. There's no direction.

I'm down to six books:

Legion of Superheroes: Solid, classic Levitz.

Legion Lost: I'm not enjoying the book, and am only keepig it out of stubborn Legion completivism.

Flash: Love this book. Best-looking book in the DCnU.*

Wonder Woman
    : Love this book, too. Best-written book in the DCnU.*

All-Star Western
    : Fun, but I'm more than ready to get back to the West!

Demon Knights
    : A big fun mess.

*IMHO, of course.
  • Options
    I'm pretty much still getting the same books I've been getting:

Digitally:
    Legion of Super Heroes
    Demon Knights

Dead tree:
    Wonder Woman
    Supergirl
    Aquaman
    Red Hood & The Outlaws
    Resurrection Man

New entry:
    World's Finest

Bye-bye:
    Hawk & Dove
  • Options
    Oh right.:

I am giving World's Finest a few issues.

Earth 2 left me completely cold. Like JLA, I'm clearly no longer the target audience.
  • Options
    Dial H for Hero #1- I dug it. From the Bolland cover, to the edge and style of it, I found myself thinking that this was reminiscent of the 80s "Bergerverse" books. And then I got to the credits at the end to find this book was actually edited by Karen Berger, so I guess that explains that.

I think it was a good, creepy start. Didn't blow me away, but was strong enough that I picked up #2 off the rack today.
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    Dial H for Hero #1- I dug it. From the Bolland cover, to the edge and style of it, I found myself thinking that this was reminiscent of the 80s "Bergerverse" books. And then I got to the credits at the end to find this book was actually edited by Karen Berger, so I guess that explains that.

I think it was a good, creepy start. Didn't blow me away, but was strong enough that I picked up #2 off the rack today.
    I thought it was a decent first issue, but I was VERY put off by the art. Just didn't look good to me, and the coloring was VERY Neon for my tastes. It's a shame they didn't give the book a more realistic palette or a more realistic artist, especially if they will be having multiple super-heroes.

• Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Had to give @Miraclemet the agree for Bryan Q. Miller's Batgirl, which for my money is one of the greatest casualties of the relaunch.
    it was sad to lose, but man the amazingness of that last issues @LibraryBoy? I still think about how great it was... (and went on to contact Pere Perez to buy the first page of the Black Mercy sequence... )

Wow. I am legitimately in awe of this. I'd love to have the page where they're all dressed up like Wizard of Oz characters and fighting the Queen of Fables.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    edited June 2012
    As of this week, I'm down to just two books out of the original New 52:
    Aquaman
    Supergirl

Just dropped:

Batman because Night of the Owls isn't doing it for me and the back-ups don't justify the price hike.

Demon Knights because although I like the story, the pacing is just too slow. Nine issues in, I feel like I should know these characters a little better by now, or even at least remember the names of more than just Demon, Xanadu, and Vandal Savage.

Of the new batch, I've definitely added:
    Batman Incorporated (feels just as wild as volume 1 did)

Will probably add:
    Worlds' Finest (giving it a few issues, but I like what I've read so far)

• Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Outta the new 52 I am planning on keeping up with the following in trades.

Animal Man
    Swamp Thing
    I,Vampire
    Demon Knights
    JLA Dark
  • Options
    I gave Action and Earth 2 another chance this week.

Still dropping Action.

Adding Earth 2.
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    I'm thinking about adding Earth 2 I liked issue 1, and World's Finest too possibly. I'm hoping the Ravegers is good but haven't gotten down the pile to it yet.

Otherwise I'm

Batman
    Detective
    Batgirl and
    Teen Titans
  • Options
    edited June 2012

Wow. I am legitimately in awe of this. I'd love to have the page where they're all dressed up like Wizard of Oz characters and fighting the Queen of Fables.
    thanks @Libraryboy . As soon as I saw those final splash pages I started hunting down Perez's rep to get a page from the dream sequence... so hard to pick a page, but went with the first page from the sequence cause it just represented so much of the entire comic book from start to finish...
  • Options
    They're starting up the THIRD wave with a big favorite of mine:

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17p4p0fcm13iejpg/original.jpg

Amethyst is back! :)
  • Options
    I thought it was funny that the Amethyst excitement, at least in the blogosphere, is such that my wife heard about this before I did. (I think she saw it on Gawker's io9).

Here's more from the DC Source blog
    Timed to the one year anniversary of the launch of the historic DC COMICS-THE NEW 52 initiative, DC Comics will introduce 0 month.

In September 2012, DC Comics will release 0 issues—and we don’t mean we aren’t publishing any titles—but what we will be doing is numbering every DC COMICS-THE NEW 52 title #0.

#0s will be stand-alone stories. “Some issues will tell the origins of a character or a team, or in some case where an origin has already been told, they will fill in the blanks in terms of questions readers may have about the New 52 DC Universe,” said Bob Harras, DC Entertainment Editor-in-Chief. “Each of these issues promises to reveal something surprising.”

And debuting at #0 are four new comic book series:

TALON - Co-Writers: Scott Snyder and James Tynion IV. Artist: Guillem March.

Meet Calvin Rose, the only Talon to ever escape the grasp of the Court of Owls. This former assassin of the Court is trying to live a normal life ... but that’s impossible when he’s being hunted by his former masters!

SWORD OF SORCERY – Writer: Christy Marx. Artist: Aaron Lopresti.
    Featuring the return of Amethyst, Amy Winston leads a strange life on the road with her mother and resents it. She’s about to learn it’s all been necessary when she discovers she’s the lost princess of Gemworld—and she’s being hunted by her murderous aunt. With a back-up story written by Tony Bedard with art by Jesus Saiz, set in a post-apocalyptic wasteland, the monstrous warrior Beowulf is charged with finding and defeating the evil Grendel.

THE PHANTOM STRANGER - Writer: Dan DiDio. Artist: Brent Anderson.
    Spinning out of his recent appearances in JUSTICE LEAGUE and DC’s Free Comic Book Day story, learn more about the true origin of The Phantom Stranger and his connection to the mysterious Pandora.

TEAM SEVEN - Writer: Justin Jordan. Artist: Jesus Merino.
    Set in the early days of DC COMICS-THE NEW 52, threads of the entire DC Universe collide. As Superman emerges, so does the world’s counter measures against him and his kind. Team 7 is comprised of Dinah Lance, Amanda Waller, Steve Trevor, John Lynch, Alex Fairchild, Cole Cash and Slade Wilson — and their story will change everything you know about DC COMICS-THE NEW 52.

The four new series will follow with issue #1s in October and other series will resume their numbering.
    I like that- with each successive wave- there are riskier choices. Not necessarily risky in terms of what the content ends up being, but taking a bigger risk in the market (with some exceptions, of course, like Batman Inc., but other than that one).

Sure, most of these are known names or are attached to big properties (e.g. Talon spinning out of Court of Owls). But it is not like Wave 3 has another book that actually has "Bat", "Super", or "Justice League" as a prefix. So that is pretty cool.

Of all these, I am most intrigued by Team Seven. I have heard great things about writer Justin Jordan's Image book The Strange Adventures of Luther Strode. And he got recruited by the Big Two in near-record time-- looking at his ComicbookDB profile, he has only one issue of Hack/Slash and Luther Strode to his name.

And, of course, Jesus Merino is Jesus Merino. So for me that will be the book to watch.