Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

DC WTF?

Comments

• Options

WTF = Way to fail.
    WTF = Why this foolery?
    WTF = Whom to flay?

WTF = What's This For?
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Can't wait until my kids see the comics and I have to try to explain what "WTF" means.

Your concerned about WTF but not people's faces being removed and blood everywhere?
  • Options
    BadDeacon said:

I expect next year Marvel will have an "F'n A!" event, with an "F'n A!" book coming out once a week for half a year.

Actually, I was expecting them to follow up "Marvel NOW" with "What Now!?"

• Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    They should bring back "What the!?"
  • Options
    danGPdanGP Posts: 65
    Am I right in thinking the gatefold cover is gong to open up to show a "shocking" reveal of some kind? If that's the case then that's where I have a problem. 52 books having to have a big reveal all in the same month screams editorial interference. Please just let the writers tell the stories they want to tell.
  • Options
    danGP said:

Am I right in thinking the gatefold cover is gong to open up to show a "shocking" reveal of some kind? If that's the case then that's where I have a problem. 52 books having to have a big reveal all in the same month screams editorial interference. Please just let the writers tell the stories they want to tell.

But it hasn't been that way in some time. The DC books are telling the stories that the Editors and the Corporate want told. That's chiefly why so many people have been yanked off of titles or thrown up their hands in defeat: editorial interference and micromanagement in place of editorial guidance.
  • Options
    bats00bats00 Posts: 275
    Torchsong said:

Assistant Editors month was awesome. My favorite was Alpha Flight where Snowbird fought solo in a snowstorm. Slowly the panels got more and more white until all you had was white panels and word balloons.

Even as a kid reading it I got the joke. :)

I enjoyed the Marvel Team-Up issue where Aunt May became the herald of Galactus
  • Options
    danGPdanGP Posts: 65
    edited February 2013

I'd agree and when they pull a stunt like this it brings it front and centre. Less gimmicks please.
  • Options
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Planeis said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Can't wait until my kids see the comics and I have to try to explain what "WTF" means.

Your concerned about WTF but not people's faces being removed and blood everywhere?
    @Planeis

My kids are 9 and 6 years old. They get their own age appropriate comics. When the DCBS box comes they like to look at all the covers..theirs and mine. I tend to pull comics with covers that are objectionable or ones that I know would scare them(Joker's bloody face).

So, I do care, but that isn't what this thread was about. Thanks for playing though.
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    edited February 2013
    Torchsong said:

Assistant Editors month was awesome. My favorite was Alpha Flight where Snowbird fought solo in a snowstorm. Slowly the panels got more and more white until all you had was white panels and word balloons.

Even as a kid reading it I got the joke. :)

I never realized that was Assistant Editor's Month. I just thought it was cool story. I always was a bit naïve.
  • Options
    Well this just becomes a good jumping on or jumping off point. Definitely for me the excitement and luster of the new 52 has worn off, so it looks like a good time to review my pull list and make some cuts. Definitely not some additions. I'll take my hard earn money an direct it some indy titles.

@tankong
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Planeis said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

@Planeis

My kids are 9 and 6 years old. They get their own age appropriate comics. When the DCBS box comes they like to look at all the covers..theirs and mine. I tend to pull comics with covers that are objectionable or ones that I know would scare them(Joker's bloody face).

So, I do care, but that isn't what this thread was about. Thanks for playing though.
    That was needlessly sarcastic. Thanks for playing douche of the week.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    David_D said:

Planeis said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Planeis said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

@Planeis

Here's a tip-- best to not (even passively) call a parent's parenting into question. Especially when you're working off a presumption. Do that, and you're lucky if the worst you get is a response that is a little sarcastic.

Also "douche of the week"? There has been some talk lately about the definition of mature. . .
    I didn't question anyones parenting. He said he's concerned about WTF. I was wondering about the violence. The answer could have been many things. It could be that they aren't concerned about violence because the kids know its not real and know that violence against others aint cool, but that they don't want them to get in trouble at school after learning new words like WTF. Or it could have been as it was explained. Could have been many things.
  • Options
    edited February 2013

I didn't question anyones parenting. He said he's concerned about WTF. I was wondering about the violence. The answer could have been many things. It could be that they aren't concerned about violence because the kids know its not real and know that violence against others aint cool, but that they don't want them to get in trouble at school after learning new words like WTF. Or it could have been as it was explained. Could have been many things.
    Reading your initial quote, it doesn't come across that great.

Of course, you still had the benefit of the doubt. Tone can be hard to get across over the internet.

I would say that benefit of the doubt went out the window with the "douche" thing, though.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To keep it ON-TOPIC

I don't classify myself as a Marvel or DC fanboy. I love comics, period. It just so happens I get them mostly from the big two.

My perspective is that DC's lost that touch. Lost the look and feel I've loved for years, ever since I came back to comics with Infinite Crisis and Civil War.

Now change can be good. But I don't think this is how it's done.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Planeis said:

David_D said:

Planeis said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Planeis said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

@Planeis

Here's a tip-- best to not (even passively) call a parent's parenting into question. Especially when you're working off a presumption. Do that, and you're lucky if the worst you get is a response that is a little sarcastic.

Also "douche of the week"? There has been some talk lately about the definition of mature. . .
    And if had you asked this way the first time, it may have come off more as a sincere question, and been answered. As it was, it sounded like more like an accusation than a question.
  • Options
    Refer to my ridiculously long post under the "episode 1331" discussion. I may be the lone DC apologist. I feel like Henry Fonda in 12 Angry Men with this topic.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Nope, you're not alone. DC is doing way more right than wrong...it's just more fun to gripe about the wrong stuff.

They earned extra points today for bringing back two old-time favorites of mine - Ambush Bug and Bethany Snow. Give yourself an extra no-prize if you know who BOTH those people are without resorting to any Google-Fu.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Torchsong said:

Nope, you're not alone. DC is doing way more right than wrong...it's just more fun to gripe about the wrong stuff.

They earned extra points today for bringing back two old-time favorites of mine - Ambush Bug and Bethany Snow. Give yourself an extra no-prize if you know who BOTH those people are without resorting to any Google-Fu.

Where did Ambush Bug show up?

• Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Good ol Irwin Schwab is now the roving reporter for the "Channel 52" Newscast (hosted by Bethany Snow). Hold on let me grab the linkage:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/02/06/the-first-channel-52-report-from-bethany-snow/
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

I don't know if I agree about them doing more right than wrong. I'd have to evaluate my comics list. :p

But I will say, the stuff that's right? It's really, really good in my opinion.
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

Nope, you're not alone. DC is doing way more right than wrong...

I'm not seeing any evidence of that.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited February 2013
    As for there being the letters "WTF" on the covers, I don't think it is harmful (and is certainly less troubling, in my opinion, for a kid to see on a cover than some very violent covers that can easily be found). . . I just think it is lame. Lame in that 'some grown-ups in the marketing department are trying to talk like the kids these days' way that tends to always be embarassing and transparent. It is an attempt at cool that ends up just seeming (at least from this distance-- fair point that the content of the books cannot yet be judged) like something attempting to be what cool looks like.

And, more importantly, it is another time- like the zero issue month-- when an across the board editorial gimmick interrupts with the various creative teams on these books are doing by demanding they all do the same thing. It is a reminder of how top-down and editorially driven DC seems to be. Perhaps these days more than ever.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited February 2013
    @Planeis

Tone on the Internet is hard to convey and I thought I was responding to snark with snark.

That being said, why can't I just say that as a parent the "WTF" label bothers me without having to justify it by listing all the other things that also trouble me about comics?
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Torchsong said:

Speaking of old favorites.. Has anyone seen or heard of plastic man showing up or coming back in the new 52?
  • Options

WetRats said:

Torchsong said:

Speaking of old favorites.. Has anyone seen or heard of plastic man showing up or coming back in the new 52?
    Not as yet. There are a lot of DC stars who haven't as yet reemerged: Adam Strange, Metamorpho, Red Tornado, Doom Patrol, the Green Glob...
  • Options

WetRats said:

Torchsong said:

Not as yet. There are a lot of DC stars who haven't as yet reemerged: Adam Strange, Metamorpho, Red Tornado, Doom Patrol, the Green Glob...
    I thought Metamorpho was replaced by that.... crazy woman in Flashpoint.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392

WetRats said:

Torchsong said:

I don't think we're far off from seeing red tornado. They keep teasing him in the Justice League/Aquaman crossover at the moment.
  • Options

WetRats said:

Torchsong said:

I thought Metamorpho was replaced by that.... crazy woman in Flashpoint.
    She only existed within the Flashpoint continuity.