Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Movie News: Star Trek Into Darkness

Comments

• Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Downloaded. Thanks!
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    Advance tickets for an advance screening (May 15th instead of May 17) are available for purchase.

http://www.firstshowing.net/2013/into-darkness-opens-early-in-imax-on-may-15-tickets-in-trek-app/
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    http://youtu.be/9Mu07BaOx9c

Hmmmmmmm.... not looking good for ye olde NCC 1701....
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    edited February 2013
    I can't believe this.

I'm hyped for a Star Trek movie!
  • Options
    It's really looking good. Lots of action and suspense. Bye Bye Enterprise which looks seriously messed up.
  • Options
    Is there ever going to be another Trek TV show? I mean, for me that's really where Trek lives. That's where you get to know the characters and their universe.

I fear this incarnation of Trek will get a 3rd movie and then that might be it for a while. The actors might want to move on, they'll have to find another director.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    Planeis said:

I fear this incarnation of Trek will get a 3rd movie and then that might be it for a while. The actors might want to move on, they'll have to find another director.

That's definitely a problem this new series will have that wasn't present for the old one. Not to diminish the brilliance of TJ Hooker, but it's not like Shatner or any of the others had much else to do. Aside from backstage squabbles and salary arguments, there wasn't much preventing them from getting the gang together every few years.

Chris Pine is already lining up a new franchise with Jack Ryan, so I wouldn't be surprised if they have to find a new Kirk at some point. Which puts a damper on the sense of family that made the original series so great. Even the weakest of the films is enjoyable if just to see them all back together again.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Planeis said:

Is there ever going to be another Trek TV show? I mean, for me that's really where Trek lives. That's where you get to know the characters and their universe.

i was under the impression J.J. was just going to direct both franchises. i don't think this means the Trek franchise falls apart by any means.
  • Options
    chrisw said:

Planeis said:

That's definitely a problem this new series will have that wasn't present for the old one. Not to diminish the brilliance of TJ Hooker, but it's not like Shatner or any of the others had much else to do. Aside from backstage squabbles and salary arguments, there wasn't much preventing them from getting the gang together every few years.

Chris Pine is already lining up a new franchise with Jack Ryan, so I wouldn't be surprised if they have to find a new Kirk at some point. Which puts a damper on the sense of family that made the original series so great. Even the weakest of the films is enjoyable if just to see them all back together again.
    Harrison Ford, Ben Afflec and Alec Baldwin have all played Jack Ryan. I'm not sure i see Chris Pine being the one to turn that into a successful franchise.
  • Options
    random73 said:

chrisw said:

Planeis said:

Harrison Ford, Ben Afflec and Alec Baldwin have all played Jack Ryan. I'm not sure i see Chris Pine being the one to turn that into a successful franchise.
    I kind of doubt it too, but it shows his attentions could wander.

I'd actually forgotten that Affleck took a stab at it. I can't even recall if the movie did well at all. I guess not if they never did a follow-up.
  • Options
    Eric_CEric_C Posts: 263
    I am far from a Star Trek fan, never really got into it at all, but this movie looks awesome. And you can't got wrong with JJ i.e. my obsession with LOST
  • Options
    random73 said:

Planeis said:

i was under the impression J.J. was just going to direct both franchises. i don't think this means the Trek franchise falls apart by any means.
    I dont think theres any chance he does both. But even if he does, I dont think its likely the cast sticks around. Plus, like I said, to me Star Trek is a TV show. Thats where is lives. Thats where they explore the world and the characters.
  • Options
    random73 said:

chrisw said:

Planeis said:

i think they are succesful, the studio just doesnt commit to churning them outbecause they arent huge hits. The most expensive one, Sum of All Fears was only $68 million. That aint crap for a major action/terrorism movie and it ended up with double that at the Box Office. They dont really commit to making them exciting looking.

Anyway, obviously this cast aint gonna be in a TV show. Is ST TV dead until its over? Might we have to wait till 2020 and beyond?
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Eric_C said:

I am far from a Star Trek fan, never really got into it at all, but this movie looks awesome. And you can't got wrong with JJ i.e. my obsession with LOST

Again, I must point out that all Abrams did was the pilot.
  • Options
    Planeis said:

I dont think theres any chance he does both. But even if he does, I dont think its likely the cast sticks around. Plus, like I said, to me Star Trek is a TV show. Thats where is lives. Thats where they explore the world and the characters.

Actors sign contracts with studios, not directors. The cast doesn't get to jump ship* just because there's a different director.

*or STARship
  • Options
    Eric_CEric_C Posts: 263
    WetRats said:

Eric_C said:

Yes, I know that sir. I give most of the credit to Cuse and Lindelof, but it was JJ behind it that gave it that push over the top. If a grip who worked on LOST was directing this movie I'd have the same reaction
  • Options
    Planeis said:

random73 said:

chrisw said:

Planeis said:

i think they are succesful, the studio just doesnt commit to churning them outbecause they arent huge hits. The most expensive one, Sum of All Fears was only $68 million. That aint crap for a major action/terrorism movie and it ended up with double that at the Box Office. They dont really commit to making them exciting looking.

Anyway, obviously this cast aint gonna be in a TV show. Is ST TV dead until its over? Might we have to wait till 2020 and beyond?
    And, even though there was a change in lead actor after the first film, that Baldwin/Ford run was essentially the same franchise. Three films isn't too bad.
  • Options
    Eric_C said:

WetRats said:

Eric_C said:

Yes, I know that sir. I give most of the credit to Cuse and Lindelof, but it was JJ behind it that gave it that push over the top. If a grip who worked on LOST was directing this movie I'd have the same reaction
    ^:)^ I bow to your enthusiasm.

Namaste.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Eric_C said:

He gets so much credit for it, and if anything, the more I learn, the more it sounds like his original concept was so half-baked that it often created more problems than necessary. Anyone can throw a bunch of crazy concepts into a pilot, but it helps if you know what they mean and where they're going.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Planeis said:

Actors sign contracts with studios, not directors. The cast doesn't get to jump ship* just because there's a different director.

*or STARship
    Yes, they do. Chris Pine for example has a contract for 3 star trek films. So, like I said... what happens after part 3?
  • Options
    Planeis said:

WetRats said:

Planeis said:

*or STARship
    Yes, they do. Chris Pine for example has a contract for 3 star trek films. So, like I said... what happens after part 3?
    depends on how successful it is. if the studio is making money and the actors are making money and advertisers are making money, then the gravy train continues. I don't see this franchise dying anytime soon.
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    Planeis said:

You have to take into account two things:

1. Enterprise was received pretty negatively.

2. With Fringe ending, the only Sci-Fi show on major network television right now is Revolution (which is still on its break) and I don't think that Paramount is interested in bringing Star Trek back to TV unless it's on a major network.
  • Options
    random73 said:

Planeis said:

WetRats said:

Planeis said:

*or STARship
    depends on how successful it is. if the studio is making money and the actors are making money and advertisers are making money, then the gravy train continues. I don't see this franchise dying anytime soon.
    Except there's no accounting for why actors do what what they do. Batman made gazzilions, but that appears to be over for everyone. Ghostbusters 1 &2 made tons, never seen again. Transformers made a killing, series is continuing but the human cast is getting overhauled. Spider-Man is continuing in its way, but cast has been completely overhauled.

Many examples of a franchise, even one that's wildly successful ending after a few movies, or being substantially overhauled.

I think the consensus seems to be that ST TV is done right? At least for the foreseeable future?

• Options

Enterprise was received pretty negatively.

Deservedly so.

The producers decided to spend their budget on lip & boob implants rather than decent writers.
  • Options

Planeis said:

2. With Fringe ending, the only Sci-Fi show on major network television right now is Revolution (which is still on its break) and I don't think that Paramount is interested in bringing Star Trek back to TV unless it's on a major network.
    It will never be on a major network again. Not sure why they'd even want it. The way they produced and syndicated the previous shows was very profitable for them.
  • Options

With Fringe ending, the only Sci-Fi show on major network television right now is Revolution (which is still on its break) and I don't think that Paramount is interested in bringing Star Trek back to TV unless it's on a major network.

Star Trek hasn't been on a major network since 1969.
  • Options
    Planeis said:

Planeis said:

It will never be on a major network again. Not sure why they'd even want it. The way they produced and syndicated the previous shows was very profitable for them.
    Never say "never again". it might be a long stretch but Never is a mighty long time.
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    Planeis said:

WetRats said:

Star Trek hasn't been on a major network since 1969.

Except the television landscape has changed; Syndication really only exists for reruns and talk shows. Paramount would have to bring it back on either a cable channel or a network.