Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Movie News: Man of Steel

Comments

• Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    I think people are going to misunderstand this movie based on the look of the marketing. The tone has darker shades then a normal Superman project, but I don't think it'll be a dark, Batman-type movie. I think it'll have a more realism feel to it with more adult themes. Similar to Buffy:TVS series. I wouldn't describe that series as dark, but having more adult themes.

I think too many people are jumping to conclusions because this doesn't resemble the Reeve classics. Remember Superman Returns? That looked like the Reeve classics and we all saw how "great" that was!

M
  • Options
    Thank you Matt, that was what I meant.
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980

Planeis said:

At least not your 5-6 year old. You know like you maybe wouldn't let them see TDKR or Batman Begins.

Well, if that's what you mean than fine. But I wouldn't refer to that as dark. I wouldn't let 5-6 year olds see Avengers either.
    Why would you want to deprive your five or six year olds that way?
    Too loud, too intense, too much gun play, too many adult themes. Thats just me, i dont even have kids.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Matt said:

I think people are going to misunderstand this movie based on the look of the marketing. The tone has darker shades then a normal Superman project, but I don't think it'll be a dark, Batman-type movie. I think it'll have a more realism feel to it with more adult themes. Similar to Buffy:TVS series. I wouldn't describe that series as dark, but having more adult themes.

I think too many people are jumping to conclusions because this doesn't resemble the Reeve classics. Remember Superman Returns? That looked like the Reeve classics and we all saw how "great" that was!

M

It's an easy enough conclusion to jump to, though. What we've seen of this movie via the trailers - which, admittedly, is very little - has been very downbeat, slow moving, maudlin, and gray (almost literally, as the palette on even the color footage has frequently had a very washed out look to it). Those aren't qualities that most people think of when they think of Superman. Add in the statements from WB execs who wanted a Superman movie that was closer in tone to the broodiness of the Nolan Batman, and I think the hesitation of a lot of people is perfectly understandable.

I'm willing to give this movie a shot. I love the Christopher Reeve Superman movies (even 3 and 4), but they are very much Of Their Time. Superman Returns tried to ape that look and feel, and slavishly to the point that it was a cinematic tribute band instead of being its own movie ("Not the Richard Donner "Superman" but an incredible simulation!"), and it failed miserably. So yeah, maybe a new approach is needed. But when reinterpreting a concept that is classic and full-on 100% Americana, you need to have enough of the original in there for people to latch onto. And though I want to like this, I have that same fear that this will be too new and too different to work.

I'm more than willing to be proven wrong, but still, the fear is there.
  • Options
    Planeis said:

Planeis said:

At least not your 5-6 year old. You know like you maybe wouldn't let them see TDKR or Batman Begins.

Well, if that's what you mean than fine. But I wouldn't refer to that as dark. I wouldn't let 5-6 year olds see Avengers either.
    Why would you want to deprive your five or six year olds that way?
    Too loud, too intense, too much gun play, too many adult themes. Thats just me, i dont even have kids.
    I got all that stuff when I was six and watching the old George Reeves series. Well, except for the adult stuff. But the loud action and spectacular scenes was what attracted me to comics and comic-related films and shows to begin with.
  • Options
    There's no magic in comic book movies anymore.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVED Avengers, it made me giddy. I also love the Nolan Dark Knight Trilogy, but they're not MAGICAL. They're awesome, they're fun. They can be adult, or hilarious, or cool.

But they're not Magical.

Superman: The Movie was a modern fairy tale. I don't need Man of Steel to ape that like Superman Returns, but every now and then, I want Henry Cavill's Superman to be MAGICAL.
  • Options
    To me, the final scene of Smallville bookmarked the Christopher Reeve version of Superman. The feel, the look, and the music. I think by feeling satisfied with the final scene, I'm ready to open up to a new version of Krypton's last son.

M
  • Options
    I'm hoping Nolan's Man of Steel shares the theme of Five for Fighting's Superman (I Can't Stand to Fly.) that's an angle of the character I find very interested.

M
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    Matt said:

To me, the final scene of Smallville bookmarked the Christopher Reeve version of Superman. The feel, the look, and the music. I think by feeling satisfied with the final scene, I'm ready to open up to a new version of Krypton's last son.

M

You mean this?!
  • Options

Matt said:

M

You mean this?!
    I didn't know Cesar Romero was a fan!

M
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586

Matt said:

M

You mean this?!
    Linking Phelous? Youre the man now, dawg.
  • Options
    Apparently the WB won another lawsuit.... but then the judge pointed the plaintiffs in a director to file yet another one...

Seems clear Man of Steel is safe, for now.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    gonna be a busy movie summer
  • Options
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    Thank you @Matt! I liked the way it evoked the feel of the classic Christopher Reeve movies without copying them. And Mr Cavill has got to be the buffest live action Superman I've ever seen.
  • Options
    ajcasperiteajcasperite Posts: 221
    I am actually very excited for this film. Superman can be a wonderful uplifting symbol. Hope, sacrifice, loss, strength. A mysterious stranger from an alien world possessing qualities that hopefully we all have within. It seems we could use someone like that right about now. There are plenty of movies this summer that are good-ole shot em ups and kick their asses. This needs to step it up. I know it's just a movie, but I hope this film inspires. I hope I walk out of that theater moved. Fingers crossed.
  • Options
    kgforcekgforce Posts: 326
    edited April 2013
    Trailer #3 looks AWESOME!
  • Options
    I love Superman. love love love. So many things about this movie look right.... but I refuse to be swayed by the marketing. Superman Returns really made me feel bleh. Hopeful, but not excited.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Looks like Krypton is destroyed by an invasion or war w Zod? Looks like some decent action and cool visuals / effects. Sure to be something for everyone to enjoy to some degree.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Planeis said:

I love Superman. love love love.

take a cold shower
    :P
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Oh yeah, that new trailer did me in for sure. I was planning on seeing it anyway but now I can't wait to see this movie and might even be looking more forward to it over Iron Man 3
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I just saw the trailer. Oh wow! Amazing stuff.
  • Options
    I see the shading and tones are darker, but I did not get a sense (which seemed to be a concern for the nay-sayers) that this is a Dark Knight/brooding Superman.

M
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    That trailer's perked my interest in this movie.

And I'm not reminded of Reeve's Superman... which is a good thing.
  • Options
    Oh no. I disagree that this will be a brooding Superman. I see this as a man living in a dark world trying to shine a light into it. The part where young Clark just asks Jonathan if he could just go on pretending to be his son got me. Oh, yeah. This looks really good.
  • Options
    this looks.......................... FREAKIN' GREAT!

seriously, as a fanboy, as a geek, this is so cool.. I am hyped.. (can ya tell? :\"> )
  • Options
    Yeah. I cannot remember when I have been this excited for a Superman movie. I am jazzed for this.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    Still a 'wait and see' for me.