Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Fraction's Casanova help!

CorwinCorwin Posts: 549
edited April 2012 in Comic Book Binding
I know on the previous boards someone pointed out the differences between the Image run and the Icon run of Casanova but I totally forgot which I was going to use to bind...can someone help me out?

Best Answers

• Options
    AzizBawanyAzizBawany Posts: 2
    Answer ✓
    Image singles: Monochromatic color scheme, special back matter that Fraction is not reprinting.

Icon: Colored, no back matter, continuation of the series.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    Answer ✓
    The Icon books have backmatter; if I'm remembering correctly.
    Corwin I apologize for not getting back sooner I'n in the middle of tax season so when I get home at 7/8 at night I eat, spend some time with my wife, take the dog out, and go to sleep. I also keep forgetting to post this.

The Image version was a 16 issue slimline, monochromatic book w/backmatter. Fraction divided it into 2-8 issue albums. Each issue was very trippy and a little dificult to follow. It was full of a crazy energy, which upon rereading I believe is at least 45% due to being difficult to follow. Don't get me wrong I love these types of stories (ask me about S.C.U.D. one day), and I loved Cassanova at Image.

The Icon books are 32 page color reprints, divided into 2-4 issue albums. They seem to have a few changes in them from the original story, cleaning up some mistakes and what not. I haven't compared the 2 side by side, but it seems different (other than the color). There are differences in the feel of the 2 books, but I don't think the color reprintings "hurt" the story. It's just different which in this case isn't a bad thing.

For binding here is how I decided to go. Bind the Icon reprints and Avaritia. They are in the same format and fit together. The monochromatic series is fun and has crazy energy, but Avaritia just doesn't fit with the original printings.

Answers

• Options
    Corwin,
    sorry I haven't gotten back on this. I'll try to give you a good break down tonite or tomorrow evening.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Thanks for the help everyone.

I have the Image HC of Casanova so I know about the craziness of it all.
    So the Icon issues do not have the back matter? That seems odd.

(What's up with the "disposable assassin"?)
  • Options
    I think there are different kinds of back matter. I know some friends who read the series find the insight into Fraction's mind to be deeper and that's why they didn't jump back on the new versions.
  • Options
    AgitpropAgitprop Posts: 12
    The back matter in the Image issues of Casanova served as a sort of journal for Fraction to record the personal aspects of creating the story. In one issue in particular, he delved into some pretty intense family stuff. Some few readers responded in a really shitty way, but at the time he said it made him rethink trying to connect with his audience so personally. My guess is that the original back matter is not being reprinted to avoid any more of the below-the-belt nonsense that went on the first time.

Of course, it may also just be to preserve the uniqueness of those first editions. They really don't add anything to the story, so I wouldn't worry about it.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    @Agitprop : there has been a CGS interview episode with Matt Fraction going very deep. Highly recommended if you want to get more "back matter"
  • Options
    @Agitprop : there has been a CGS interview episode with Matt Fraction going very deep. Highly recommended if you want to get more "back matter"
    ...Sounds like an extra I'll have to burn on a CD and put in a CD pouch in the bind!
  • Options
    The back matter in the Image issues of Casanova served as a sort of journal for Fraction to record the personal aspects of creating the story. In one issue in particular, he delved into some pretty intense family stuff. Some few readers responded in a really shitty way, but at the time he said it made him rethink trying to connect with his audience so personally.
    When I read the backmatter in the original Casanova series it mad feel sad for Matt Fraction. He may not want that reaction, he may even despise that reaction, but I just felt sad for the guy ( I still do even with all his success). It does help in understanding why the series is so out there.