Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Guardians of the Galaxy (Complete Movie Thread-- Now With Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    rebis said:

Hex said:

From the concept art it looks like we are getting at the least; Starlord, Drax, Rocket, Groot and Gamora.

Have they announced the Gamora as a character? The concept art looks more like Phyla.
    The woman in the image has green skin. The sword looks to be metal while Phyla's is a glowing, yellow construct. That's not say they couldn't take aspects from both characters to make a new one.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    I've not read any of guardians of the galaxy. But I'm loving the marvel movie universe that's growing. I'm excited to see James Gunn on rewrite and director duties though. I loved Slither and loved Super even more. Think Guardians is shaping up to be a good one too.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    rebis said:

Hex said:

From the concept art it looks like we are getting at the least; Starlord, Drax, Rocket, Groot and Gamora.

Have they announced the Gamora as a character? The concept art looks more like Phyla.
    I found a bigger scan and zoomed in on the figure. It's Gamora.
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

rebis said:

Hex said:

The woman in the image has green skin. The sword looks to be metal while Phyla's is a glowing, yellow construct. That's not say they couldn't take aspects from both characters to make a new one.

What threw me was the hood. In the small image it looks like it could be Phyla's short hair.
  • Options
    Five actors are reportedly being tested for the lead role of Peter Quill/Star Lord.

Joel Edgerton
    Jack Huston
    Jim Sturgess
    Lee Pace
    Eddie Redmayne

Deadline

The article also states there may be some interest in or from Garrett Hedlund, James Marsden and Sullivan Stapleton.
  • Options
    It's being reported that 3 actors are now on the shortlist to play Star-Lord. Jim Sturgess, Zachary Levi and an unidentified third actor.

Variety
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    My head says Jim, but my heart says Zach.
  • Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    tazmaniak said:

It's being reported that 3 actors are now on the shortlist to play Star-Lord. Jim Sturgess, Zachary Levi and an unidentified third actor.

Variety

That may explain why on the SyFy special Levi's hair was a dyed very light brown, to look more like Peter Quill.
  • Options
    I think they'd both be good for the role. When it comes right down to it, though, the casting I'm most interested in is who will be the voice of Rocket.
  • Options
    Director James Gunn says almost everything in the Variety article is inaccurate.

Twitter

He doesn't specify which parts might be correct. Probably the part about Jim Sturgess being the lead contender.
  • Options
    mrfusionmrfusion Posts: 186
    edited February 2013
    http://www.aintitcool.com/node/60779

Marvel has picked their Star-Lord! The leader of the Guardians of the Galaxy will be...

Ahoy, squirts! Quint here. Now this is interesting and completely in line with Marvel's track record in picking talent for their big projects. The leader of the Guardians of the Galaxy will be none other than Mr. Chris Pratt.

Yep, the dude from Parks and Rec is playing Star-Lord aka Peter Quill, which is a helluva choice. Pratt has long been a scene-stealer and when he bulked up for Zero Dark Thirty it was a fucking crazy transformation, but also showed that he could be intimidating if he needed to be.

Quill isn't quite Peter Parker, but he does have a sense of humor. You kind of have to when your teammates include a walking Tree, a smart-ass raccoon and a homicidal bald dude that likes to cut up any and everything he can.

Good on Mr. Pratt for beating out a ton of bigger name guys for the part. This is his chance to shine. God, I love that Marvel is in the business of making stars. They pick interesting if not A-list directors and interesting if not A-list leads. I guess that's what happens when you've got all the money and all the confidence in the world!

This one's shaping up quite well. Now they just need to go ahead and announce Michael Rooker as the voice of Groot and we'll be set.
  • Options
    It's kinda funny how Emily VanCamp and Chris Pratt, who played siblings for 4 seasons on Everwood and dated in real life, end up being cast as leads in two Marvel films at almost the exact same time.
  • Options
    PrilloPrillo Posts: 23
    Well this sucks. I get all worked up after seeing the topic and after reading down a few pages I see that all of my old favorites are gone. Its like the entire series I collected when I was in my teens is gone and replaced by some dark star wannabes. Really?...rocket raccoon over Vance astro. OK someone fill me in on what has happened to my beloved GotG plz.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    As a fan of Parks and Rec I like this casting
  • Options
    Prillo said:

Well this sucks. I get all worked up after seeing the topic and after reading down a few pages I see that all of my old favorites are gone. Its like the entire series I collected when I was in my teens is gone and replaced by some dark star wannabes. Really?...rocket raccoon over Vance astro. OK someone fill me in on what has happened to my beloved GotG plz.

What happened was that GotG got awesome.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    The real answer is that there were a few events (Annihilation and Annihilation: Conquest) that led to the formation of this rag-tag bunch.

Taken from tvtropes:

Years after the original comic ended, a new version, set in the mainstream 616 universe and in the present time was created by Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning out of the main characters from their two Annihilation miniseries events. In it, a few of the protagonists who helped solve the troubles of those series decide that the universe can't take another, and so organize a team to proactively go out and lay the beatdown on whatever troubles threaten to destroy everything.

With Mantis providing a support role and Groot still recovering from Annihilation Conquest, though both would soon join the main line up. Also providing a support role was Cosmo, a telepathic former Russian Cosmonaut dog who ran security at Knowhere, the former head of a Celestial at the end of space and time. By the second issue, Major Victory, the same character from the original series, would join up, and would be followed later on by Bug, Jack Flagg and Moondragon.In the Marvel NOW series, the Guardians reform with the line-up of Star-Lord, Groot, Rocket Raccoon, Gamora, Drax the Destroyer and Iron Man.
  • Options
    Chris Pratt is a good pick.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Chris Pratt is a good pick.

I agree. I used to think he was the weakest link on Parks & Recreation, but once they figured out what to do with his character, he quickly became one of my favorites, If he can do something in between that and his more dramatic roles, he should be a good fit for what I imagine they're trying to do with this film.
  • Options
    mrfusionmrfusion Posts: 186
    ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ Will Be a Standalone Film Set “95% in Space”

(slashfilm.com) Despite the presence of characters like Thor and Loki, the Marvel Cinematic Universe has mostly been grounded in an Earthbound reality. But Phase Two seems to be taking a more otherworldly bent, with Thor: The Dark World and Guardians of the Galaxy on the table.

We’ve already seen how Marvel Studios does Asgard thanks to the first Thor, but Guardians promises to take us into a whole new corner of the MCU. According to studio head Kevin Feige, Guardians will be set “95% in space.” And yes, that means we won’t see much of the Avengers out there. Hit the jump to read his comments.

In a recent interview with SFX (via Comic Book Movie), Feige was asked whether “cosmic” would be a “fair description” of Phase Two. He responded:

I wouldn’t say that in a broad sense. The Thor film and the Guardians Of The Galaxy film certainly are cosmic. Guardians and Thor will take the brunt of the cosmic side of the universe, particularly Guardians, which is 95% in space.

Moving the action away from Earth could prove tricky — just see John Carter or Green Lantern for examples of what happens when outer space movie travel goes awry. But Marvel’s track record is a good reason to be optimistic.

Whereas all five films of Phase One came together in The Avengers, Feige added that Guardians wouldn’t be as integral to The Avengers 2.

It’s much more of a standalone film. It takes place in the same universe. And when we’ve been on the other side of that universe in other movies, you might see those characteristics in Guardians, but the Avengers are not involved with what’s happening out there at this time.

But outer space isn’t all Phase Two will be about. Feige’s also excited about the more personal focus of the other Phase Two films, and the opportunity they offer to experiment with the typical comic book movie mold.

I think Iron Man 3 shows the other side of Phase 2, which is delving deeper into the characters. Throwing them on a much more personal journey. And Captain America will showcase… What’s exciting to me about Cap – sort of about Iron Man 3 too if you look at it – is it’s tonally almost like a different genre. Shane Black’s described Iron Man 3 as a Tom Clancy sort of political thriller, which I like a lot. We hired our directors on Cap because they loved our explanation that we really want to make a ’70s political thriller masquerading as a big superhero movie. Just like with the first film – we got Joe Johnston because we said, ‘We want to do a ’40s World War Two movie masquerading as a big superhero movie.’ I love that we’re doing a sequel to a film that’s a completely different genre than the first film. I think that’s fun. And the comics do it all the time.

Setting up a single, cohesive Marvel Cinematic Universe was a wildly ambitious idea to begin with, and now that the gamble has paid off it’s great to see they’re not just resting on their laurels. Marvel’s drive to keep trying new things and exploring new worlds is what keeps fans excited, even after half a dozen films.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    Love that Marvel is focusing on what has historically made different eras of the comics fantastic. Cap is a good example. The origin is is set in WWII and the wartime aspect of the first movie worked great. Moving the second movie into the era of the super-spy, political thriller that worked well in the comics is a smart move. Also looking forward to a more cosmic Thor. Maybe the eternals and/or deviants will show up.
  • Options
    tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 733
    While there's no confirmation from Disney or Marvel, it's being reported that Dave Baustista has won the role of Drax.

The Hollywood Reporter
  • Options
    Um ... OK. This might work considering the character is Drax and the only emotion Mr. B has to project is "Pissed". However, up till now Marvel has resisted the urge to stick a muscle man in roles that seem tailor made for a muscle man. Opting for actors instead.

Interesting choice.
  • Options
    tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 733
    edited March 2013
    rebis said:

Um ... OK. This might work considering the character is Drax and the only emotion Mr. B has to project is "Pissed". However, up till now Marvel has resisted the urge to stick a muscle man in roles that seem tailor made for a muscle man. Opting for actors instead.

Interesting choice.

With a role like this, that required an actor of a specific height and mass, you'd be hard-pressed to find an "actor-actor" who fit the bill.

Word is Dwayne Johnson was their first choice, but he's filming the adaptation of Hercules: The Thracian Wars at the same time, so he was out. Jason Momoa was supposedly the favorite, but his agency was apparently asking for more money than Marvel was willing to give and he lost the role. I'm not sure what happened with the other candidates.

I have to admit that this is probably the first Marvel Studios choice that actually gave me pause. Dave Bautista has very few acting credits, and from the recent roles I've seen him in, his acting was just below passable.

They were obviously impressed by him, as he got the job, so we'll see.
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    tazmaniak said:

rebis said:

Interesting choice.

With a role like this, that required an actor of a specific height and mass, you'd be hard-pressed to find an "actor-actor" who fit the bill.

Word is Dwayne Johnson was their first choice, but he's filming the adaptation of Hercules: The Thracian Wars at the same time, so he was out. Jason Momoa was supposedly the favorite, but his agency was apparently asking for more money than Marvel was willing to give and he lost the role. I'm not sure what happened with the other candidates.

I have to admit that this is probably the first Marvel Studios choice that actually gave me pause. Dave Bautista has very few acting credits, and from the recent roles I've seen him in, his acting was just below passable.

Sadly, his best performance may be i his hooking up with half the female cast of the film
    =D>
  • Options
    tazmaniak said:

rebis said:

Interesting choice.

I don't mind this seeing someone I don't know. Now I'll be able to get lost in the character.
  • Options
    Eric_CEric_C Posts: 263
    My jaw hath hit the floor
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Greg said:
    First time I've been interested in this movie!

M
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Greg said:

I think she is a good pick for Gamora. I've always viewed Gamora as being sort of "She-Hulk-ish" ...tall, muscular, and of course green...but the most important part of her character is her attitude and I think Saldana will be able to pull off the "Deadliest Woman in the Galaxy" persona just fine.

I really hope she wears this outfit though....

:\">