Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Movie News: Man of Steel

Comments

• Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    edited May 2013

Matt said:

shroud68 said:

Actually, a 'leftist' depiction of Superman isn't out of order, given his New Deal roots in the original stories by Siegel and Shuster (and revisited by Grant Morrison). I'd love to see a Superman movie where juggles wife-beating bullies in mid-air or gets in the face fat-cat bankers and investors of the One Percent persuasion. There's one reason why I'd come to prefer Luthor as a business magnate rather than a mad scientist.

I'm aware of all that but my point is..................Who cares? and more importantly................Why would it matter based on that trailer?
    Obviously, I would care, especially since I have reservations about the film based on every trailer I've seen thus far. Not because of any 'leftist' subtext -- frankly, I don't see Superman's origins or core beliefs as being 'leftist' to begin with, but as humanist -- but because I think they're trying a little too hard to distance themselves from the previous film (and probably from ALL previous Superman films, for that matter) and may instead give us a turkey of a different flavor.
    I'll have to do some research, but didn't you bash Superman Returns? That acknowledged the Donner movies. And didn't the movies stay away from the serials that came before?
    I might have. I don't recall. But that wasn't what I was saying here. I'm saying that, thus far, it feels like they're trying too hard to break away, to the point of going to the exact opposite degree and losing the essential core of the character in the process. I'm okay with breaking away and starting over; I just don't want a dark and brooding Superman in place of a cheerful, crusading Man of Steel.
    I see this movie more in line with Smallville, only with less pining for Lana, less whining by Chloe, & a global scale. From what I've seen, he's not brooding, but lost. Kal-El is trying to find his place in the world. I tried that years ago. I didn't brood, but I recall feeling like I didn't belong anywhere. "I got better."

Maybe to get the 'cheerful, crusading Man of Steel,' Kal-El needs to first find his purpose in this world. Lois, the Daily Planet, Earth excepting him are all thing he needs to be that Superman you're looking for. Maybe this is his path of 'losing everything to realize what he has.'

Also, to touch upon a prior point about Superman being a hero who'd save a cat in a tree; yeah, I can see that. I recall being in the Boy Scouts and thinking all these morals & values are what Superman strives to live by. That's one of the thinks that always made me more a Batman fan then Superman fan. Batman has no problems bending, sometimes even breaking most rules to get the job done. I remember in an issue of JLA, Batman hired Mirror Master to get information. Superman didn't like that.

M
  • Options
    tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 733
  • Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    edited June 2013
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    edited May 2013
  • Options
    edited June 2013
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Yahoo had a cast featurette up a couple of days ago. I apologize for not posting it. Couldn't find it. However, as I watched, it felt like the producers spent all of their time talking down the classic Superman mythos and it's trappings. "Mom sewed his suit", "underwear outside his pants", blah blah blah. I came away wondering if they really wanted me to see their movie.
  • Options
    rebis said:

Yahoo had a cast featurette up a couple of days ago. I apologize for not posting it. Couldn't find it. However, as I watched, it felt like the producers spent all of their time talking down the classic Superman mythos and it's trappings. "Mom sewed his suit", "underwear outside his pants", blah blah blah. I came away wondering if they really wanted me to see their movie.

If you're talking about the one JaxUr posted a few posts back, I didn't get that impression. They weren't talking it down. They were saying how things had to be altered to be true to their world. To fit the story they want to tell. For them, those things simply don't fit.

Maybe they're not making the movie for you personally, if those things bother you. But I believe they're making it for everyone else, who probably wouldn't bothered by certain changes the producers and filmmakers believe will make their story better.

I don't think there's really any contempt coming from those involved regarding the character and the mythos.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    edited June 2013
    tazmaniak said:

rebis said:

If you're talking about the one JaxUr posted a few posts back, I didn't get that impression. They weren't talking it down. They were saying how things had to be altered to be true to their world. To fit the story they want to tell. For them, those things simply don't fit.

Maybe they're not making the movie for you personally, if those things bother you. But I believe they're making it for everyone else, who probably wouldn't bothered by certain changes the producers and filmmakers believe will make their story better.

I don't think there's really any contempt coming from those involved regarding the character and the mythos.
    Of coarse, they aren't making the movie for me personally. However, if they're trying to woo me, talking about the past in your best "we're much cooler now" voice isn't the way to do it.
    Honestly, when it comes to these featurettes, they shouldn't even be talking about those old tropes. They should show clips of Superman flying and kicking ass, and Amy Adams being adorable.
  • Options
    I can not be happier with what I've seen so far. When Snyder was announced as the director I knew I'd dig the visuals and the action but I was concerned a out the tone and the heart of the film. The last two trailers make me feel like they got to the heart of what makes Superman great while updating the aesthetic. Also, I can't wait to see Superman really throw down with someone on film.
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451

I can not be happier with what I've seen so far. When Snyder was announced as the director I knew I'd dig the visuals and the action but I was concerned a out the tone and the heart of the film. The last two trailers make me feel like they got to the heart of what makes Superman great while updating the aesthetic. Also, I can't wait to see Superman really throw down with someone on film.

It's important to remember that Superman, as originally portrayed in the Segal and Shuster stories, was a tough guy. Let's see him kick some ass.
  • Options
  • Options
    VKMarionVKMarion Posts: 37
    kiwijase said:

It's important to remember that Superman, as originally portrayed in the Segal and Shuster stories, was a tough guy. Let's see him kick some ass.

I have been saying this for year. As originally envisioned, superman should be the hippest, coolest, most modern hero in comics. Thats what he was in the 1940's, when he was created. I am of the mindset that should evolve through out time, and not be stuck or beholden to the past. He's the man of tomorrow, people tend to forget that. I don't think he should be aw shucks dudley do right, he should be the most bad ass and most noble character in the room, not a push over or a relic. This movie looks like its hitting it perfectly.

As for the anticipation for this flick? In NYC its rampant, that whole first weekend is basically sold out everywhere, idk, everyone I talk to is amped for this.
  • Options
    Whoa..............
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    edited June 2013
    Matt said:

I feel like this movie is getting bashed before anyone has seen it. Yes, it doesn't look like the movies that came before, but wasn't that some of the criticism of Superman Returns? And aren't people admitting that even the first movie doesn't really feel like a good Superman movie?

I'm not saying everyone has to love or even like the movie, but maybe we should wait to see what the movie IS rather then focus on what the movie (presumably) ISN'T. Save that for AFTER you've seen the movie.

M

Agreed. If it's good, you'll have people falling all over themselves trying to say how much they had been looking forward to it all along, much the same way that everyone was "always excited" about the idea of Heath Ledger as the Joker, and they never made one joke about him being in Brokeback Mountain, no sir. 8-|

As for myself, I was admittedly hesitant at first, but the more I see the more excited I am, and I've already bought my ticket for next Friday morning (I already work nights, so a midnight show is nixed in favor of "going home and getting some sleep!).
  • Options
    Im literally counting down 'til the midnight show I'm going to. I haven't seen or heard ANYTHING that makes this look like anything other then amazing. I grew up with the Donner films. But they never were great Superman movies. The threats were small and silly. This movie FINALLY looks like it's not ashamed of Superman.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003

Im literally counting down 'til the midnight show I'm going to. I haven't seen or heard ANYTHING that makes this look like anything other then amazing. I grew up with the Donner films. But they never were great Superman movies. The threats were small and silly. This movie FINALLY looks like it's not ashamed of Superman.

I never thought the Donner films looked like they were ashamed of Superman; I thought they fully embraced the character. And yeah -- three super-powered Kryptonian criminals throwing city busses down a busy city street was pretty small and silly...
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I am so excited for this movie. I looks really cool and interesting and I curious about the tweaks and the action looks intense. I can't wait.
  • Options
    luckymustardluckymustard Posts: 927

The threats were small and silly.

I'm not saying that there weren't some threats that weren't small and silly, but a kryptonite necklace drowning Superman in a pool and nuclear missiles?
  • Options
    kgforcekgforce Posts: 326
    edited June 2013
    I am SUPER excited for this movie. I told my wife that for Father's Day, she and the kids need to take me to Phoenix (Tempe) to see it at the Harkins Cine Capri with the 70' screen and Dolby Atmos sound!

FYI, I was at my local Walmart tonight and they had an employee dressed with a Superman cape. I asked her what she was doing and was told they were selling tickets to the preview showing on June 13. I figured it had sold out... so anyone in Tucson wanting to see it at the AMC Foothills, you are still in luck.
  • Options
    Matt said:
    Over on another message board this has generated some discussion... I feel they've left some out. Others say its complete...
  • Options
    luckymustardluckymustard Posts: 927
    In the second, pop culture section they left out cartoon/animated versions.
  • Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    Tim Daley, Dana Delany, Mike Farrell, and Christopher MacDonald from "Superman" The Animated Series" reunited to do their take on the Man of Steel promo:

http://family-room.ew.com/2013/06/09/animated-superman-promo-shot-for-shot-nod-to-man-of-steel-trailer-exclusive-video/
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    JaxUr said:

Tim Daley, Dana Delany, Mike Farrell, and Christopher MacDonald from "Superman" The Animated Series" reunited to do their take on the Man of Steel promo:

http://family-room.ew.com/2013/06/09/animated-superman-promo-shot-for-shot-nod-to-man-of-steel-trailer-exclusive-video/

Sweet. They did the same for The Dark Knight Rises.

M
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited June 2013
    From a spoiler free MoS review:
    One major plot twist, which will not be revealed here, promises to spark debate and controversy amongst longtime Superman buffs; if you thought "organic web shooters" was the stuff that message board flame-wars were made of, you ain't seen nothing yet.
    Hmmmmmm

I wonder if this refers to that unique choice in the casting of a long time supporting character or something else.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    Mr_Cosmic said:

From a spoiler free MoS review:

One major plot twist, which will not be revealed here, promises to spark debate and controversy amongst longtime Superman buffs; if you thought "organic web shooters" was the stuff that message board flame-wars were made of, you ain't seen nothing yet.
    Hmmmmmm

I wonder if this refers to that unique choice in the casting of a long time supporting character or something else.

They're probably referring to the idea that Kryptonians apparently don't wear underwear.