Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

please recommend some ¨classic¨reads

2»

Answers

• Options
    edited April 2012
    If you want to take a Euro jaunt:

The Incal
    Metabarrons
    TinTin
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    If you want to take a Euro jaunt:

The Incal
    Metabarrons
    TinTin
    all brilliant choices =D>
  • Options
    Has anyone said "Preacher" yet? If you haven't read it, it should be at the top of your list.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,617
    Has anyone said "Preacher" yet? If you haven't read it, it should be at the top of your list.
    I disagree. Hitman should be ahead of Preacher.
  • Options
    Hitman is probably my number 2 series of all time after Preacher but I would still edge out Preacher as a little bit better. At the end of the day, they are both awesome.
  • Options
    Tintin
    Amulet (Not done yet, but I think it will be finite, and I like it even better than Bone.)
    Definitely second the TenNapel recommendation.
    Lucifer (By the same creative team behind Unwritten, and just as good.)
    100 Bullets
    Casanova
  • Options
    hi guys, thanks for the awesome recommendations, I've read a lot of what you guys have suggested in the past and loved it, so its great because its VERY likely ill love the rest as well sense we seem to have similar taste!
    finished asterios, loved it, I'm a couple of issues into promethia and digging the hell out of it
  • Options
    Duncan the Wonder Dog from Adhouse just blew my mind. It's not an easy read, though. The art is quite dense and the story jumps around in a kaleidoscopic sort of way. It sort of builds its world from the ground up with little glimpses of a lot of different things, and the ending is wide open. He's planning more volumes, but even if this is all we get I'm satisfied.

I was profoundly affected by it, and for the first time ever with a comic, I found myself looking at my own world in a very different way for some time afterwards..
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Duncan the Wonder Dog is on my wishlist. Thanks @chrisruggia for the reminder.
  • Options
    ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    @chrisruggia I received my copy of Duncan the Wonder Dog yesterday and I am loving it! I was put off at first by the author's insistence about this being some life's work/magnum opus spanning like 25 years which seems like may never happen in all probability. Nine volumes are slated by his statements. That kept me from caring or buying it, but I am giving it a shot for what it is and I'll definitely report back when I finish it!
  • Options
    MiraclemetMiraclemet Posts: 258
    @chrisruggia I received my copy of Duncan the Wonder Dog yesterday and I am loving it! I was put off at first by the author's insistence about this being some life's work/magnum opus spanning like 25 years which seems like may never happen in all probability. Nine volumes are slated by his statements. That kept me from caring or buying it, but I am giving it a shot for what it is and I'll definitely report back when I finish it!
    Mine is in this months DCBS shipment... cant wait to see what all the hype is about. I was thrilled to see that Adhouse went and did a second print of this!
  • Options
    @Zhurrie I bought it on the strength of the PDF preview pages, without really knowing anything else. I just love the textured grays throughout the book, and the inventive way he builds the pages. It really felt like a massive show of contemporary prints -- plus a story!

@Miraclemet I sure hope you actually like it, and it doesn't just feel like hype when you're done!

• Options
    Here are a couple of books I love.
    The One
    Brat Pack
    The Maximortal
    All by Rick Veitch.
    Love his swamp thing run too
    But he never got to finish it cause
    DC didn't want him to do a story about
    Jesus cause they didn't want bad press
    Before the release or the batman movie in '89. You can find a cover sketch online of the issue not released. Also I believe it was pencilled by micheal zulli.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Here are a couple of books I love.
    The One
    Brat Pack
    The Maximortal
    All by Rick Veitch.
    Love his swamp thing run too
    But he never got to finish it cause
    DC didn't want him to do a story about
    Jesus cause they didn't want bad press
    Before the release or the batman movie in '89. You can find a cover sketch online of the issue not released. Also I believe it was pencilled by micheal zulli.
    I love Veitch's work. His Roaring Rick's Rarebit fiends comic was great.

• Options
    Bone
    Dark Knight Returns
    Watchmen
    Camelot 3000
    Earth X
    Sandman
    Akira
    Batman: :Long Halloween
    Batman Year One
    Essex County
    Habibi
    Global Frequency
    From Hell
    Hotwire
    Ironwolf
    Kill Shakespear
    King City
    Marquis
    Obergeist
    Orion by Masamune Shirow
    Ronin
    Star Trek Countdown
    Six From Sirius
    Universal War One
    Unknown
    Wolverine Enemy of the State
    Xenozoic
    Young Avengers (the hardcover)
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727

Marquis
    Is that the book by Guy Davis published by Oni? Because I came across that the other week while starting to do the first hints of organizing my collection and actually completely forgot about it before then.
  • Options
    demonbeardemonbear Posts: 159
    Watchmen
    Ichiro
    Asterios Polyp
    Tekkon Kinkreet / Black & White
    Bone

To name a few that I love.
    especially so!! i got the heads up on this book from jim dietz, a couple of years back.

off the top of my head, not the real obvious & popular ones, but...
    I Kill Giants
    Y: the last man
    Casanova
    the latest concluded runs of Guardians of the Galaxy and Immortal Iron Fist
    Essex County trilogy
    Daytripper by Ba & Moon
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    This list would not be complete without:

;)
  • Options

Marquis
    Is that the book by Guy Davis published by Oni? Because I came across that the other week while starting to do the first hints of organizing my collection and actually completely forgot about it before then.
    yes it is!
    There are two volumes out there. I highly recommend both.
    And if you love him read Baker Street if you haven't
  • Options
    FeedbackFeedback Posts: 31
    Dark Horses "Green River Killer"
    Phil Hester's Darkness Run all 7 trades are now out
    Ron Marz's WITCHBLADE run
    Mark Waid's/JMS Brave and the Bold run
    The Old DC's Batgirl with Stephanie Brown
    Vertigo's Area 10
    Jinx
    I could go on if need be...
  • Options
    Nevada

I rarely hear anyone talk about this great Steve Gerber written mini series from Vertigo.
  • Options
    Judge Dredd case files 2-10. Nuff Said.

• Options
    Judge Dredd case files 2-10. Nuff Said.

Totally agree with Flint on this. So far outta all the Judge Dredd I have read it has all been good to great. It is sad that most comic fans outside of the UK don't read 2000 AD. What I have read of 2000 AD has been great. I would say it is my second favorite comic book anthology series. With Dark Horse Presents barely beating it.
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    Nevada

I rarely hear anyone talk about this great Steve Gerber written mini series from Vertigo.
    I talk about it. A lot.

I love that the whole idea behind the series is to flesh out a single line in Howard the Duck. Gerber was a true genius.
  • Options
    Nevada

I talk about it. A lot.

I love that the whole idea behind the series is to flesh out a single line in Howard the Duck. Gerber was a true genius.
    I want to say I heard Steve Gerber say it was Neil Gaiman who kept telling him he wanted to know more about the showgirl and the ostrich. If that is true that means there is 2 things in comics that envolve Mr Gaiman that I love ,Nevada and Gaiman's run on Miracleman.