Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

What do you get Digital

I don't get very many things exclusively digital but there are a few things that I really like to read and can only get that way. The newer Batman Beyond stories are $.99 and digital only for now I think and so I read those and love them. Is there anything that you guys get that might be worth the download?

Comments

• fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    I won't pay for anything above $0.99 digitally, with the exception of collections, but only when they're discounted as well. I think DC is really working the digital market. I regularly get Injustice, Li'l Gotham, and the new Batman '66, all of which are only $0.99. I use my Marvel codes from my floppies which will one day allow me to sell my books, but I'll get to retain my digital copies (until ComiXology ceases to exist anyway).
  • Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    I don't get digital at all, but prefer to save my money for the floppies. That way, I can actually own what I pay for. (And I prefer the paper copy anyway.)
  • mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,635
    The only comics related thing I buy digitally is Twomorrows books (Back Issue & Alter Ego monthly). They come in a .pdf and each issue costs less than an issue of Batman.
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I buy a random issue here and there. Nothing on going.
    mwhitt80 said:

The only comics related thing I buy digitally is Twomorrows books (Back Issue & Alter Ego monthly). They come in a .pdf and each issue costs less than an issue of Batman.

Well, now that is something I might look into. I'd still rather have the paper copy, but at least you do own the pdf when you purchase it.
  • WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Nothing as long as my FLCS stays in business.
  • mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,635

Well, now that is something I might look into. I'd still rather have the paper copy, but at least you do own the pdf when you purchase it.

I love the paper magazines, and have a lot of them. However when twomorrows started selling the digital copies I had to jump on board with them. I could afford both magazines instead of having to choose.
    I am going to double dip and get the physical copy of the 3D issue of Alter Ego (#115) it does not work digitally (and without glasses).
  • LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    The only things I've been buying regularly in digital format are Bandette by Paul Tobin and Colleen Coover (which is probably my favorite comic book series in any format going at the the moment) and Art & Franco's Aw Yeah Comics. And I'm likely to double dip and get the trade collections, too. They're good books and I'm sure they could use the support.
  • mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    Just The Private Eye by BKV & Marcos Martin.

Matthew
  • tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 733
    I buy everything digitally. I've never really cared about owning or keeping comics, I just want to read the stories. At this point, if it isn't digital I'm not reading it.
  • John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Sales are always tempting - I get lots of older books that way. I also tend to check out the creator owned stuff and "new" players like MONKEYBRAIN.

I spend around 70% of my monthly comic buys in digital fodder - reading way more books than ever before thanks to having a gigantic library in my bag. Always.
  • kfreemankfreeman Posts: 314
    I'm more and more to digital, and take advantage of sales when something comes up that I want. Replacing my floppies and trades slowly but surely in this way. I get Dark Horse stuff when the price drops to 1.99, but still have fundamental problems paying 2.99 and even 3.99 for digital comics.
  • SonofthorSonofthor Posts: 73
    mguy1977 said:

Just The Private Eye by BKV & Marcos Martin.

Matthew

I started reading that as well, it is a really interesting way to look at how we live now and where it could be headed :)
  • John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    edited July 2013
    kfreeman said:

......still have fundamental problems paying 2.99 and even 3.99 for digital comics.

Totally agree. The only books I pay 2.99 for are those from Valiant. Meaning of course that I'll have to wait a bit for the price drop on those as well.

MARVEL is the worst. Their new line of books is way too expensive (digital and paper) and so far didn't get a reduction.

• Private Eye is fantastic. Also, digital is the way to go for Batman '66! The use of Comixolgy Guided View is excellent! I also read Injustice and Adventures of Superman digitaly every week.
  • TrustyMutsiTrustyMutsi Posts: 161
    fredzilla said:

I won't pay for anything above $0.99 digitally, with the exception of collections, but only when they're discounted as well. I think DC is really working the digital market. I regularly get Injustice, Li'l Gotham, and the new Batman '66, all of which are only $0.99. I use my Marvel codes from my floppies which will one day allow me to sell my books, but I'll get to retain my digital copies (until ComiXology ceases to exist anyway).

The problem with Injustice is that while it's only $0.99, it's also only 3-4 panels a page at most, so you're not actually getting a full 22 page book for your money.

But I'm glad you're enjoying it. I thought Injustice was pretty cool.

The problem with Injustice is that while it's only $0.99, it's also only 3-4 panels a page at most, so you're not actually getting a full 22 page book for your money.

Yeah, because you can't do much worse in comics right now when paying $0.99 for just a 3-4 panel per page of a 22-page book... :-*

Actually, when DC collects/converts their digital books into floppy form, they end up taking 2-3 digital books and combining them to form one floppy. So at best, for $2.97 you're getting a 66-page book of 3-4 paneled pages. Still a better deal than a lot of what's out there.
  • TrustyMutsiTrustyMutsi Posts: 161
    fredzilla said:

Yeah, because you can't do much worse in comics right now when paying $0.99 for just a 3-4 panel per page of a 22-page book... :-*

Actually, when DC collects/converts their digital books into floppy form, they end up taking 2-3 digital books and combining them to form one floppy. So at best, for $2.97 you're getting a 66-page book of 3-4 paneled pages. Still a better deal than a lot of what's out there.
    Hmmmm... 66 pages for $2.97 IS pretty darn good. Now you're convincing me to go back and buy more issues of Injustice :)

Does the book get even better after the first 3 digital issues?
    I feel like it's been up and down, but worth it anyway. It's different than DC's regular universe, but I think that's what makes it so popular. I think it's more of what was expected with the New 52.
    I've been getting the paper edition and I think Injustice has been interesting and a fairly good read; not what I expected of the New52, no, as it's much too dark for my tastes -- and a lot of it begs an unfair comparison with Kingdom Come, before which it fails utterly -- but it's still an interesting Elseworlds type of story.
  • SonofthorSonofthor Posts: 73

I've been getting the paper edition and I think Injustice has been interesting and a fairly good read; not what I expected of the New52, no, as it's much too dark for my tastes -- and a lot of it begs an unfair comparison with Kingdom Come, before which it fails utterly -- but it's still an interesting Elseworlds type of story.

I have actually really liked the injustice story since they can do anything they want. It is really fun to know there are almost no rules when there is a story like that.
    Allow me to clarify my statement of "what was expected of the New 52." I remember when the talk of DC revamping their entire line would bring about new origins, new villains, and new stories that didn't feature characters with 50+ years of convoluted continuity (full disclosure: I don't mind continuity; I don't see why it's such a problem for the big 2). It was a fresh start and a new take on familiar characters. It wasn't to be just an Elseworlds tale, but a bold, new direction for the character and company. Now, whether or not DC delivered on that can be debated. I was under the impression that the New 52 was to be a complete revamp of what had come before. Superman didn't kill in the old DC, but maybe he does now, superman used to be with Lois, but now he's with Wonder Woman, etc. Injustice is doing this and I think that's part of why it's so popular. I guess what I'm just trying to say is that I think Injustice is what DC wanted of their New 52 line, but haven't gotten because the editors can't/don't want to change the characters too mush that they're unrecognizable by movie goers.
    fredzilla said:

Allow me to clarify my statement of "what was expected of the New 52." I remember when the talk of DC revamping their entire line would bring about new origins, new villains, and new stories that didn't feature characters with 50+ years of convoluted continuity (full disclosure: I don't mind continuity; I don't see why it's such a problem for the big 2). It was a fresh start and a new take on familiar characters. It wasn't to be just an Elseworlds tale, but a bold, new direction for the character and company. Now, whether or not DC delivered on that can be debated. I was under the impression that the New 52 was to be a complete revamp of what had come before. Superman didn't kill in the old DC, but maybe he does now, superman used to be with Lois, but now he's with Wonder Woman, etc. Injustice is doing this and I think that's part of why it's so popular. I guess what I'm just trying to say is that I think Injustice is what DC wanted of their New 52 line, but haven't gotten because the editors can't/don't want to change the characters too mush that they're unrecognizable by movie goers.

I see your point, but I don't think it's there in Injustice either -- the DCU in this series is a little too mish-mash -- we got some of this and we got some of that... some of the old DCU, some of the pre-Flashpoint DCU, some of the New52 DCU... it looks and feels like they couldn't make up their minds as to what they wanted and just threw it all together figuring nobody would notice or care.

And I guess I don't care, so long as I view it as an Elseworld series.
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,747

mwhitt80 said:

That’s part of the reason we're not available on Comixology. I'll also point out that when you buy a print copy directly from TwoMorrows, you also get the PDF download for free.
  • batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Whatever is offered for free through the various sites or made availabe to me at no cost by methods such as marvels redeemable codes. Personally I still cant wrap my head around paying for digital.
  • I get everything digital these days. I just don't have the room for comics anymore. I have been looking into getting some essential collections however. Maybe a few hardcovers of classic stories but thats about it.
  • batlaw said:

Whatever is offered for free through the various sites or made availabe to me at no cost by methods such as marvels redeemable codes. Personally I still cant wrap my head around paying for digital.

Digital is just a different media to convey a message. Like when you go to the movies or if you buy a dvd. You are still seeing the film and having the same emotional response. You wouldn't expect to go to a movie theater for free because you don't get a dvd when you walk out the door.

batlaw said:

Digital is just a different media to convey a message. Like when you go to the movies or if you buy a dvd. You are still seeing the film and having the same emotional response. You wouldn't expect to go to a movie theater for free because you don't get a dvd when you walk out the door.

There's also the fact that the people making that digital content still need to get paid. Not just the company, but the writer, the artist, the letterer, the colorist, etc. If they don't get paid, you don't get content. These guys aren't fans doing this for free or as a lark -- they're pros who are trying to pay their bills.

• eduardo_sanchezeduardo_sanchez Posts: 22
    edited July 2013

batlaw said:

There's also the fact that the people making that digital content still need to get paid. Not just the company, but the writer, the artist, the letterer, the colorist, etc. If they don't get paid, you don't get content. These guys aren't fans doing this for free or as a lark -- they're pros who are trying to pay their bills.

Exactly! You're paying for the content of the comic not the paper it's printed on. That being said, I do beleive that digital comics should be cheaper that printed comics due to the fact that there's less cost from a paper and distribution stand point.
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,884

fredzilla said:

I see your point, but I don't think it's there in Injustice either -- the DCU in this series is a little too mish-mash -- we got some of this and we got some of that... some of the old DCU, some of the pre-Flashpoint DCU, some of the New52 DCU... it looks and feels like they couldn't make up their minds as to what they wanted and just threw it all together figuring nobody would notice or care.

And I guess I don't care, so long as I view it as an Elseworld series.
    And that is basically what it is. I haven't read the comic, but my understanding, given the title, is that it is a brand extension of the current video game. So, as with a movie or animated adaptation, the continuity is whatever the producers of the video game wanted it to be. Making it tangential to the comic continuity. So, essentially, an Elseworld.