Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A Call to Arms...Join Jamie D's Revolution!

Comments

• Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    I've been at this place for the last several years. It began with the changes done to Batman (my tether to DC) in 2006, post-IC. By the time Spider-man (my Marvel tether) wrapped up One More Day, I was ready to jump ship.

By the end of Secret Invasion, I realized these events just lead into the next thing. Plus the decompression of Bendis' events got too annoying (I briefly fell for AOU because Bendis' All-New X-Men is good.)

I began to realize all these over inflated 6pt storylines was just to get a trade, then put that trade in book stores. All to get new readers. I felt I was that "friend with benefits" because as a longtime reader, I was already there to fall back on.

Plus, the market flood of crap books & production numbers. I understand they want to make money & resold comics at cons doesn't do that. By overproducing, they'll sell a good chunk of the run, while the stores take a hit to sell them for $1 at cons & shows. I never think about selling my collection, but how can I have any current issues with value if there are long boxes filled with the issues at every booth at every con?

M
  • Options
    TrustyMutsiTrustyMutsi Posts: 161
    I've dropped DC for many reasons, which was very hard to do. They were my favorite. But now they've just screwed too much up for me to ever go backThe only reason I'm still reading Marvel is because I'm getting Marvel Unlimited: The all-you-can-eat digital service they offer. Reading all the comics I need for $60 a year.

Besides that, I'm mainly reading IDW Transformers, and Atomic Robo whenever new digital issues go on sale.
  • Options
    I'm getting really close to dropping the big books of the big 2. I look at the big picture and wonder why I'm paying so much for books like Avengers ($8/month) that I'm not really that into when the occasional issue of Hawkeye that I read is much, much better, and books like Secret Avengers seem much more interesting than the big main books. Honestly, though, I have been enjoying things like Saga, Masks, and the Spider much more than anything other than Batman from the big 2. I'm really considering just trade waiting most of my current monthlies from the big 2 to see if they end up being worth it.
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    Dropping the DC point month for indies & other books I want to read. My money, my say, my way.

See ya DC in October.

Matthew
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    edited July 2013
    In a different thread I said I was not up for this revolution as I am a Big 2 guy for 35+ years now. Voting with my wallet though is sort of pointless as my monthly comic bill is minimal at best but in my heart I am Big 2. That being said I just listened to the AR "stuff" ( poor choice of words) on Superior Spiderman#9.

******************Spoiler Warning*****************Essentially that is the issue where something really big and/or bad happens to Peter Parker. Dan Slott was going on and on about how the majority of the Spiderman brain trust did not want the Freaky Friday brain switch and how he finally got his way. In some self congratulatory burst of misplaced excitement he says to all of those fans and co-workers who are not happy with the Freaky Friday Otto/Peter switch to "Suck it!".

Excuse me, "Suck it"? . Because Marvel has, as a company , spent 50 years and 35 for me specifically following Peter Parker as Spiderman and Peter Parker himself and now that people are annoyed and/or upset we should "suck it!" I get that some people freaked out and sent death threats and to all those a#*holes, calm down and walk away. But to make a general blast to all the pro-Peter Parker fans and say "Suck it!" is disingenuous and so arrogant. Think of all the Spiderman titles that have followed Peter Parker, including Peter Parker, Spectacular Spiderman. I do not recall ever seeing, Clark Kent, Man of Steel or Steve Rogers, Defender of America. Marvel's bread and butter for much of their history has been the Peter Parker/Spiderman mythos. Not just the costume, the fights, the web shooters but Peter Parker's life. To say "Suck it" to those who lament this story arc is insulting and smacks of what many previous posts say the Big 2 do, take us for granted. And to top it all off, we all know that Peter will be back as Spiderman so to say "Suck it" and pat yourself on the back like your story arc is changing the face of comics is delusional. Mind you I like the brain switch as a story arc and thought Jiminy Cricket Peter was a bit weak but I also thought a re-branding of a title as prestigious as Amazing was unnecessary to commemorate a story beat that will be undone sooner than later. Dan Slott's biting the hand that feeds him which I hate more than anything and I respond to his "Suck it!" with an equally unnecessary and rude "F#*k you!". My subscription is up soon and I will not renew. My contribution will not cripple them but you have to do something. I'm walking away not because of the Freaky Friday switch but because unless you vote with your wallet, they keep getting you to suck it
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    I can't defend your experience with Dan Slott as I haven't seen the AR "stuff" you refer to; however, I've seen and heard many interviews with Dan Slott as he discussed the changes he's made to the character, but it sounds as though Slott's tongue was firmly planted in cheek. Again, you take was probably way more different than mine, but I think that some of it was Slott just baiting the haters. I would also agree that it was a poor choice of words on his part. But if you need to leave the book, you need to leave. No one here will/would fault you.
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    fredzilla said:

I can't defend your experience with Dan Slott as I haven't seen the AR "stuff" you refer to; however, I've seen and heard many interviews with Dan Slott as he discussed the changes he's made to the character, but it sounds as though Slott's tongue was firmly planted in cheek. Again, you take was probably way more different than mine, but I think that some of it was Slott just baiting the haters. I would also agree that it was a poor choice of words on his part. But if you need to leave the book, you need to leave. No one here will/would fault you.

I don't believe it was tongue in check. It was far too self congratulatory and smug. I don't need to leave, I want to vote with my wallet to voice my distaste.

On a lighter note, I am not a process guy. I generally avoid the behind the scenes stuff that much of the AR seems to be. I like the behind the scenes in a historical perspective not 3 months ago. Getting told to suck it only reinforces my opinion. I prefer not to see how the sausage is made.
  • Options
    kfreemankfreeman Posts: 314
    I agree completely, but ironically am reading more marvel books than I have in years--Hawkeye, Daredevil, and FF are all a blast. Not reading any DC at all.
  • Options
    larrylarry Posts: 125
    I find myself leaning away from big two for Image, Valiant, and Boom. I'm down to two DC titles now, Larfleeze and Trillium. Trillium is a mini series and I'm sure they will cancel Larfleeze soon enough. Once that happens I'm done with them.

I am liking a lot more Marvel lately. I did not read any Age of Ultron because I am soured on their events. I've learned my lesson there.
  • Options
    kfreemankfreeman Posts: 314
    And this sounds like a great opportunity to plug the stuff that Action Lab is doing. Trying my best to get the word out!
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    Pete I finally jumped into Wasteland (I read the first trade years ago) and got the next 3 trades a few months ago. I'm really liking the series.
  • Options
    PeterPeter Posts: 470
    Nice! It's up to issue 45 now. For a comic outside of the big "small press" publishers, that's a decent run. 8 trades or 2 HCs to date: http://www.onipress.com/series/wasteland
  • Options
    I definitely want to check out some of the new Valiant comics. Getting into some comics from something other than the big 2 I think is a great idea. I also really dig Invincible and Saga.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Per my comments in another thread, outside of Wonder Woman (which I subscribe to and because they had the good taste to swipe the art and dialogue from Thugs! on a page) I'm out of DC now. Marvel as well. Trades, yes, but single issues? Done with.

So consider me back on board the revolution...
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    When I see the title of this thread, I picture Jamie singing "Purple Rain", backed by Wendy, Lisa, Bobby Z, and the rest.*

*Too obscure? Too obscure? Google "The Revolution", whippersnappers! :-B
  • Options
    JamieDJamieD Posts: 210
    WetRats said:

When I see the title of this thread, I picture Jamie singing "Purple Rain", backed by Wendy, Lisa, Bobby Z, and the rest.*

I got it
  • Options
    JamieD said:

WetRats said:

I got it
    Then my day is made. :D
  • Options
    Will the revolution be televised?
  • Options
    JDickJDick Posts: 206
    Is Trinity War an event or a crossover?
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    WetRats said:

Will the revolution be televised?

How friggin eerie..... I was listening to Gil Scott-Heron this morning. True story. One of my alltime favs.

• Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    JDick said:

I think it's more of an inflammation...

No, it's a crossover among the three Justice League titles, the two Trinity Of Sin titles (and you just know there's likely to be third one before this is over, right?), and probably in Constantine as well.

On the other hand, it leads directly into Forever Evil, which is an event.

Run away. Now!
  • Options

On the other hand, it leads directly into Forever Evil, which is an event.

Event horizon.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    I expect this event to have the same quality and uphold the same standards of all the recent DC events and the N52 as a whole. :((
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    I don't mean to hijack this thread, because there's already a perfectly good thread that is constantly updated with this stuff... And I know not everyone is into digital, but if you have a device with which to read (you can read on your computer if you want, but it can be cumbersome and not that rewarding-IMHO), ComiXology is having a HUGE Top Shelf sale for SDCC this week. There are some seriously good deals here for some very good books. Don't miss this, people!

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    fredzilla said:

I don't mean to hijack this thread, because there's already a perfectly good thread that is constantly updated with this stuff... And I know not everyone is into digital, but if you have a device with which to read (you can read on your computer if you want, but it can be cumbersome and not that rewarding-IMHO), ComiXology is having a HUGE Top Shelf sale for SDCC this week. There are some seriously good deals here for some very good books. Don't miss this, people!

Seconded!
  • Options
    I submitted my DCBS order for July and I did not order one DC Villians month book... This is the first time in awhile (if at all) that there are no DC books on my order ... I just wasn't interested in any of the books ( and saving money right now is also a reason) ... I am sure I will be able to find them in back issue bins down the road ... Just too hefty of a price tag
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited July 2013

JDick said:

I think it's more of an inflammation...

I submitted my DCBS order for July and I did not order one DC Villians month book... This is the first time in awhile (if at all) that there are no DC books on my order ... I just wasn't interested in any of the books ( and saving money right now is also a reason) ... I am sure I will be able to find them in back issue bins down the road ... Just too hefty of a price tag

Same here... I'm done with DC...for now.