Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Avengers: Age of Ultron (Now with SPOILERS)

Got to say i came out slightly disappointed

This ain't avengers one by a long shot in my opinion. but its hard to blame the movie we have been spoilt. Cap and GotG where stand outs and Iron man 3 and Dark world dropped down for most viewers i think avengers 2 will rank in the middle of most folks ranking of phase 2 (although personally i think i preferred IM3 to this movie )

Lines don't hit the heights of past outings. Love story of Widow and hulk goes no where and ends before film is done probably never to be seen again . build red herring to hawkeyes death didn't work for me based on meta knowledge he is in Cap 3, so when quiksilver dies in his place i felt i did see it coming despite to what he says

Highlights however , I loved Andy as Klaw for brief time he was on. Paul betteny was amazing as the vision , nailed the character perfectly and James Spader might have been the best comedy in the movie. Special mention to two chris for strong character presence . Mirada of cameos was fun experience

Post credit scene was fun but in retrospect its basically what we got with the first film , its a thanos tease , least he is starting to seem proactive

just my opinion, lot to digest , probably a solid B rating, its a pretty good movie , just far off the original

Comments

• Options
    mrfusionmrfusion Posts: 186
    edited May 2015
    I sent an email to my manager the other day with the news about this and said
    "I don't even need to say anything, do I?"

She replied, "You're first on the list". :)

-------------------------------------------------
    Marvel's The Avengers 2 is Coming on May 1, 2015

(Walt Disney Pictures) Following the announcement that Joss Whedon is returning to write and direct Marvel's The Avengers 2 (Marvel Studios and Disney say the film is still untitled for now) comes official word that the release date for the sequel has been set for May 1, 2015. There is no other movie scheduled for that date yet.

The first film, released on May 4, has earned $1.462 billion at the worldwide box office, which makes it the third-biggest release ever trailing only James Cameron's Titanic ($2.185 billion) and Avatar ($2.782 billion). "The Avengers" has earned $617.3 million domestically and $844.6 million overseas.

The team-up sequel will be preceded by Iron Man 3 on May 3, 2013, Thor: The Dark World on November 8, 2013, Captain America: The Winter Soldier on April 4, 2014 and Guardians of the Galaxy on August 1, 2014.

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Can't wait to see you top yourself!
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
  • Options
    they got the best man for the job!
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    AVENGERS PINS FOR EVERYONE!

yes?
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Yeaaaah, boyyyyyyyyyyyy!
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    mrfusion said:

I sent an email to my manager the other day with the news about this and said
    "I don't even need to say anything, do I?"

She replied, "You're first on the list". :)

That's cool - now looking forward to the CGS special.....coming up around 2015.... :D
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Anybody else see this? Hemsworth and Johansson supposedly considering backing out of Avengers 2. Not sure of its credibility.

http://www.worstpreviews.com/headline.php?id=28308
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Greg said:

Anybody else see this? Hemsworth and Johansson supposedly considering backing out of Avengers 2. Not sure of its credibility.

I've heard rumblings about cast members, not necessarily specific actors. I did hear the guy running Marvel feels people come to see the characters, not the actors.

I do like that RDJ is playing hardball to help his costars get more money. I think that'll strengthen their relationships for these movies.

M
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    I remember Terence Howard caught crap because word got out he was being "difficult" on set and he got cut because of not wanting to take a paycut. If the movie performed way past expectations and the second one will make money too then why should anyone take a paycut?
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    Greg said:

I've heard that Johansson's salary is way lower than you'd expect for a franchise like this. No idea how true it is, but I've read mid to low six figures for multiple films. I know, I'd gladly take the problem of only being payed half a million for my work, but considering what the franchise makes, what RDJ is paid, and that she could probably make as much doing one film that doesn't take up so much of her time, I can see why they'd play hardball.

I think many studios would have quietly re-negotiated with their cast once Avengers made as much as it did.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879

I remember Terence Howard caught crap because word got out he was being "difficult" on set and he got cut because of not wanting to take a paycut. If the movie performed way past expectations and the second one will make money too then why should anyone take a paycut?

I think I remember the issue being he somehow got radically overpaid (at least by comparison) in the first movie and wouldn't work with them on the second and insisted he continue to get the same high or absurdly higher salary for pt2.

• Options
    EarthGBillyEarthGBilly Posts: 362
    Coming off of his Oscar win, Terrence Howard was actually being paid more than any of the other actors (yes, more than Robert Downey, Jr. and Paltrow) in the first Iron Man film. (He was the first to sign on, and by the time others came in, his contract was set.) He wouldn't take a pay cut for the second film, either, so that, combined with Jon Favreau reportedly not loving how he was handling the role, led to his ousting.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511

Coming off of his Oscar win, Terrence Howard was actually being paid more than any of the other actors (yes, more than Robert Downey, Jr. and Paltrow) in the first Iron Man film. (He was the first to sign on, and by the time others came in, his contract was set.) He wouldn't take a pay cut for the second film, either, so that, combined with Jon Favreau reportedly not loving how he was handling the role, led to his ousting.

Admittedly, there wasn't a whole lot of Rhodey to work with in the first one, but Howard just did not fit the bill for the role for me. More than happy to have seen Cheadle come in to take over. I've nejoyed other Howard works, so it's not the actor but rather, his ability to become this specific character.

• Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    It would be nice to know where the salary was relative to what the box office ended up. Cheadle hasn't done it for me. He doesn't seem to be a fit for me.
  • Options
    tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 733
    edited July 2013
    The film will be called The Age of Ultron.

Deadline

• Options
    tazmaniak said:

The film will be called The Age of Ultron.

Deadline

PLEASE let this be misdirection.

M
  • Options
    (cough)

Ooookay.

Well, I would guess the film will (it will have to be) much different from the comic. Ultron as an enemy is cool. And, unlike the Age of Ultron comics, he will likely actually be IN this movie.

I forget, does Guardians of the Galaxy come out before Avengers 2? Was the Thanos reveal actually more of a teaser for Guardians than for Avengers?
  • Options
    David_D said:

(cough)

Ooookay.

Well, I would guess the film will (it will have to be) much different from the comic. Ultron as an enemy is cool. And, unlike the Age of Ultron comics, he will likely actually be IN this movie.

I forget, does Guardians of the Galaxy come out before Avengers 2? Was the Thanos reveal actually more of a teaser for Guardians than for Avengers?

They definitely would require Pym be introduced. I think his introduction is in Ant-Man, which starts the 3rd Wave, following Avengers 2.

I think GotG comes out in 2014, with Avengers 2 in 2015. I took it as its a set up for GotG rather then Avengers 2.

M
  • Options
    @Matt Got it. That makes sense.
  • Options
    Matt said:

They definitely would require Pym be introduced.

Or they could divorce Ultron from Pym, perhaps have it be a corruption of the JARVIS program instead. Precedent set with allowing JARVIS to operate the suits independently.
  • Options
    PeterPeter Posts: 470
    No one saw that coming.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    It's just a name. Obviously Ultron is in it but I'm willing to bet it has little to do with the comic.
  • Options
    This is a real shame, out of all the Marvel stories that they could have chosen from they picked this one. If it was just named something generic like Ultron the conversation here might be different. The simple fact is that this is a missed opportunity.
  • Options

This is a real shame, out of all the Marvel stories that they could have chosen from they picked this one. If it was just named something generic like Ultron the conversation here might be different. The simple fact is that this is a missed opportunity.

The fact that neither Wolverine nor Sue Richards are available should be a pretty strong indication that they're just using the title and not the story.
  • Options
    I think its more the name association. Say the next Spider-man movie was called "The Clone Saga." It might have barebones to do with the series, but your age comic reader will immediately think of the overinflated 90s Odyssey that was done.

Granted, I'm convinced comic book movies are being more done for the masses then comic book fans, so it won't mean anything to them.

M
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    All right, I'm pumped! I'm disappointed that Thanos isn't the villain, but, on the other hand, Ultron? Yeah, I'm there! This excites me more than any other comic book movie announcement thus far. Bring it on!
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

They definitely would require Pym be introduced.

Or they could divorce Ultron from Pym, perhaps have it be a corruption of the JARVIS program instead. Precedent set with allowing JARVIS to operate the suits independently.
    I thought that, too. Though I hope they don't go that way. They might put Stark into the Pym role for this, as clearly RDJ is the biggest star involved and they need to keep him central to the plot. But I think it would muddy things for JARVIS to become Ultron. Too Star Trek ship's computer breaking down. There needs to be more hubris, more Dr. Frankenstein to it-- that Pym (or Stark) sets out to make a new kind of real AI and creates this monster, who from the beginning calls him "father". That is creepier.