Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Guardians of the Galaxy (Complete Movie Thread-- Now With Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 733
    edited July 2013
    Though their roles have been speculated on for weeks/months, we officially know Lee Pace is playing Ronan the Accuser, Karen Gillan is playing Nebula and Benicio Del Toro is playing The Collector. Djimon Hounsou has also been cast as Korath the Pursuer, an ally to Ronan and Thanos.

ComicBookMovie

They will serve as the villains of the film, though it's been reported Ronan will eventually switch sides.

• Options
    New concept art.

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I like the look. If I had a gripe it would be with Groot. He looks like a man in a suit.
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    At least Rocket appears to have normal proportions so that his head doesn't look like it was transplanted from a mutant raccoon. That's encouraging.

I keep finding myself looking for Vance Astro and Martinex, though...
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Movie props were on display at Marvel's booth, being guarded by members of the Nova Corps.

The cast and director.

• Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    I don't like the Nova Corp helmets. Where's the star-bust on the face? Here's hoping that it's a question of rank and the star-bust is on higher ranking Nova corp members.

My Son will see Gillan without her red hair and weep.
  • Options
    Description of the footage shown at Comic Con.

We see a desolate alien world, where Peter Quill, aka Starlord, is going inside an ancient temple. He uses a light globe to illuminate the interior, and then goes to steal an old alien orb.

Some alien cops come in with big guns to stop him. "Drop it now," orders their leader, Borath (Djimon Hounsou). And he asks Quill who he is. "Starlord," he replies. "Who?" Borath asks. "Starlord, man. Legendary outlaw." Starlord is wounded. "Forget it."

Then we see someone activate a wrist transceiver, and we're in an alien prison, where five creatures have been arrested on Zandar. We see holographic "rapsheets" for all five of them — Drax the Destroyer, Gamora (Zoe Saldana), a personal death machine, Rocket Raccoon, who has over 50 charges of vehicular theft and escape from lockup, Groot, a houseplant/muscle, and then Starlord himself.

Rhomann Dey (John C. Reilly) narrates the whole thing with intense snark, especially when he gets to the part about how Peter Quill calls himself Starlord. Listening to this, Quill cranks up his middle finger as if he's working a creaky machine. Later, Quill is in prison and Drax is listening to his personal stereo, which is playing a bouncy "gamba gamba" tune. Quill is offended — and then he gets tased.

And then we saw a montage of tons of action footage, including a two-headed alien shooting a gun, a prison riot, tons of Gamora putting the smackdown on people, Rocket Raccoon shooting a big gun with a vicious look on his face.

The footage ends with John C. Reilly saying, "They call themselves the Guardians of the Galaxy. What a bunch of A-holes." And we see the five of them lined up, like the Usual Suspects.

io9
  • Options
    rebis said:

I don't like the Nova Corp helmets. Where's the star-bust on the face? Here's hoping that it's a question of rank and the star-bust is on higher ranking Nova corp members.

I don't mind the helmets but I do miss the burst. I notice the costumes have a partial "T" burst on the shoulder...which I assume is symbolic of their rank. I love that they kept the circles on the chest.

• Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    edited July 2013
    rebis said:

My Son will see Gillan without her red hair and weep.

=))
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    Looks awesome. Glad that we are getting the Nova corp, but they look a little too Judge Dredd movie for liking.
  • Options
    People have been complaining but the nova suits do not bother me. The suits got wildly unique on the Abnett and Lanning run.
  • Options
    I already want Star Lord's coat.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Guardians of the Galaxy trailer leaked...get it while it lasts!

http://heronuggets.com/guardians-of-the-galaxy-trailer-leaked-watch-while-you-can/

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!
  • Options
    That looks like a lot of fun!

Wouldn't it be great if we could get a fun movie from our friends at Warner Bros?
  • Options
    That was awesome. If it wasn't already the Marvel movie I'm most excited about, it would be now.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
  • Options
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    Can't wait! So so so many thing that I am excited about in this tiny little clip. Rocket looks awesome.
  • Options
    Hex said:

Can't wait! So so so many thing that I am excited about in this tiny little clip. Rocket looks awesome.

they nailed everything about the series. Rocket Raccoon does look 100% perfect!
  • Options

Hex said:

they nailed everything about the series. Rocket Raccoon does look 100% perfect!
    He looks a lot better than I've seen him in the comics lately; a lot less like some radiated mutant wombat. I actually find that encouraging.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Greg said:
    Glad to hear there's that much confidence in the property at this point.

I think it's gonna surprise the skeptics.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    I'm one of those that's kind of surprised there is so much confidence in GotG. Is there serious demand? Marvel's legacy characters: Cap, Thor, Iron Man, Avengers, Hulk, Spider-Man, X-Men, Fantastic Four, Punisher, Daredevil... all took a shot at the films, a few with less than stellar results. And I doubt there was a demand for ALL of those heroes, but I have always been a bit skeptical that there was a big demand for GotG. It is as if they are trying to generate demand. As if they have a larger plan they are trying to unfold and GotG is the path they have chosen over bringing out another legacy character (a la Dr. Strange, Black Panther, etc) - I am curious what those overall motivations may be.

Don't get me wrong, I am seriously into Marvel cosmic material, but even the Silver Surfer in FF2 wasn't a big hit. So far, everything is looking and sounding good, but I find myself wondering, how, if at all, will this film will have the same amount of heft that Thor, Cap, Iron Man, or Avengers had? Maybe it's just my lack of familiarity with the new Guardians that makes me wonder.

Unlike a Spider-Man or an Iron Man where there is a huge built-in fan base to insure a good opening weekend, GotG carries the risk of being a Battleship-size flop. I have friends that were GotG fans, but that was back in the 80's and 90's, before this new incarnation. And back when Marvel announced the GotG movie, there wasn’t even a comic series being published. When they got around to publishing, it was a risk but it looks like they've been successful. Not just successful, but consistently in the top 30.

Until some of these recent announcements, I wasn't that excited. I'm still more interested in the next X-Men, Avengers, and the upcoming Ant-Man, but I'm much more interested in GotG than ever before. Will I go to the theater to see it? I'm still not so sure. Will the general public go? That remains to be seen. I'd like to believe Marvel will triumph.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I would argue that Iron Man did not have a huge built in fan base. Even amongst comic fans the Iron Man book has never been a big seller.

General public? Well, I've personally met a few people who didn't know he was a comic book character before the movies came out.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    I'm too close to the paper I suppose
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980

I'm one of those that's kind of surprised there is so much confidence in GotG. Is there serious demand? Marvel's legacy characters: Cap, Thor, Iron Man, Avengers, Hulk, Spider-Man, X-Men, Fantastic Four, Punisher, Daredevil... all took a shot at the films, a few with less than stellar results. And I doubt there was a demand for ALL of those heroes, but I have always been a bit skeptical that there was a big demand for GotG. It is as if they are trying to generate demand. As if they have a larger plan they are trying to unfold and GotG is the path they have chosen over bringing out another legacy character (a la Dr. Strange, Black Panther, etc) - I am curious what those overall motivations may be.

Don't get me wrong, I am seriously into Marvel cosmic material, but even the Silver Surfer in FF2 wasn't a big hit. So far, everything is looking and sounding good, but I find myself wondering, how, if at all, will this film will have the same amount of heft that Thor, Cap, Iron Man, or Avengers had? Maybe it's just my lack of familiarity with the new Guardians that makes me wonder.

Unlike a Spider-Man or an Iron Man where there is a huge built-in fan base to insure a good opening weekend, GotG carries the risk of being a Battleship-size flop. I have friends that were GotG fans, but that was back in the 80's and 90's, before this new incarnation. And back when Marvel announced the GotG movie, there wasn’t even a comic series being published. When they got around to publishing, it was a risk but it looks like they've been successful. Not just successful, but consistently in the top 30.

Until some of these recent announcements, I wasn't that excited. I'm still more interested in the next X-Men, Avengers, and the upcoming Ant-Man, but I'm much more interested in GotG than ever before. Will I go to the theater to see it? I'm still not so sure. Will the general public go? That remains to be seen. I'd like to believe Marvel will triumph.

I think they are absolutely trying to generate demand. But here's the thing, the Disney marketing machine is legendary. They can and will generate demand around the world for this movie, especially with how high the Marvel movie brand is right now.

Is it going to be as successful as Iron Man and Avengers? probably not. But they know what they're doing.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Mr_Cosmic said:

I would argue that Iron Man did not have a huge built in fan base. Even amongst comic fans the Iron Man book has never been a big seller.

General public? Well, I've personally met a few people who didn't know he was a comic book character before the movies came out.

for real? holy cow. that like...thats like...i don't know what thats like. some football reference that normal people get that is completely lost to me.