Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1432 Talkback: A Farewell to Pants

Comments

• Options
    @Pants, it has been a pleasure getting to know you over the past few years, both through the podcast and in person. You know as well as anyone that I've been listening to CGS since near day one, and I've seen "Geeks" come and go as a part of that. When @Peter left the show, I didn't think the show would be able to go on just for how much of himself he put into the show. Well, I was incredibly happy for you to prove me wrong, Pantolnes. You gave the show the steady vision it needed at the time, and still needs today.

I'm sure I will continue to see and talk to you at conventions, Facebook, e-mail and what have you, and I mean it when I say don't be a stranger. You're great for a laugh, a conversation about comics, life, or anything in between. And hey, who rocks the "Pants" logo better than Mr. Brian Christman? I MEAN, C'MON! ;)

As for CGS, I won't be fooled again. I know the show will continue in one form or another, and I'll be around for it. One, two, three episodes a week, it won't matter as long as there's a show. It might be a distant memory, but one or two used to be the norm! It's a return to the old in that fashion. Still, I'll stick by and go along the CGS road as far as it'll take us all.

Here's to the future!
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    mphil said:

there aren't any other comics podcasts that compare in my opinion.

I wholeheartedly agree with this statement. BTW - welcome to the forums @mphil!
  • Options
    I'm really glad I was able to see Pants at this year's fanexpo. This announcement comes as a shock. Out of all those on the show I always thought it would be Pants to be the last to leave and turn out the lights. Well done sir. Well done.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    I hope this doesn't sound like a hit to the other geeks, but @Pants is the heart of this group. His zaniness made for many an entertaining listen. We'll miss you, but know you're always welcome back.

:(
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    thank you pants

good luck on your future endeavors, I hope you'll drop by from time to time with updates on how things are going
  • Options
    AxelBrassAxelBrass Posts: 245
    edited October 2013
    Getting me on the forums is almost impossible (too busy), but announcing Pants is leaving the show would certainly do it. I just wanted to tell Brian thank you for everything. Many a long drive was made easier by you and the rest of the CGS gang. I hope the show carries on, but it won't be the same without you!
  • Options
    Appreciate the hard work that Pants did. It's no small deal to do the thankless work of organizing, editing, and being the face of CGS.

Also, I wholly endorse the concept of scaling back on output. I know that I, personally, have been forced to delete about every other episode you guys have posted. And the idea of being able to increase research on interviewees is also greatly appreciated.

Once again, thanks to all you guys for all the hard work.
  • Options
    LokemperLokemper Posts: 1
    edited October 2013
    I haven't posted since the previous board went away, so it had to be something special to get me to return. Unfortunately, Pants leaving was that something special. I haven't listened yet, so I don't know why you are leaving, and, really, why you are leaving doesn't matter. Just thank you for having been there when CGS needed you the most, by which I mean, you were able to pick up the producer job when it would have been easier to have let the show fade away.

And, on that note, thanks to all the Geeks who first gathered in Bryan Deemer's basement and still continue to podcast despite professional and personal ups and downs. I'd rather have less episodes than no episodes.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    I will also say welcome aboard to @MPhil but just to take a moment to avoid any confusion, he is a new member, not Mr. Phil of ISR fame, who is already (occasionally) on the forums.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    And I also want to join in the thanks to Brian for his many, many hours of hard work, enthusiasm, and infectious cheer. I still remember when you were the new guy, and now it is hard to imagine the show without you.
  • Options
    brlanbrlan Posts: 8
    Thank you, Pants. Thank you.
    My heart is a bit "muddled" I must say. You have made me smile and laugh soooooo many times while listening on a boring day at work. And you have done a first class job.
    I have never posted here before, but it's about time I say to the whole CGS crew…
    You guys are like friends to me, and I appreciate all you do. That pretty much goes for anyone who has ever been on the show.
    And a big "thank you" to Jamie and everyone else who is planning to keep the show going.
    [cue the moving piano music.]
  • Options
    I've only been listening to CGS over the past two years, but I'll miss Pants quite a lot. He's got a great tone for radio/podcasting, and he does have a very distinctive and enjoyable laugh.

As an amateur podcaster msyelf, I envy his skill at editing and putting the shows together, as well as marshalling together the cast of CGS and putting forth so many quality episodes and features.

Good luck in your other endeavors Pants, but know that you'll be missed by so many fans of the show.

I hope that the show does continue to run smoothly in Pants' absence. Chris Eberle is a great pick to become a more frequent guest of the show (if his schedule allows it), as his episodes are often some of my favourites. Him and Murd together are a great duo to listen to, both eloquent and well-spoken, not to mention insanely knowledgeable.
    mphil said:

Can some people suggest other comic podcasts?

This is self-serving, but you can try out my comic podcast, Comic Shenanigans. It can be found on iTunes, and at comicshenanigans.podbean.com. I've also posted some of the episodes here on thecomicforums under other comic podcasts.
  • Options
    abuddah said:

Also how about bringing in the audience the way you used to? Give the show a better sense of community and to show you how much support is out there on a weekly basis rather than only experiencing it at cons.

I can't tell you how much I'd love to be able to join in on an episode through the magic of Skype, particularly the currently-running Spotlight episodes on X-Men and Avengers. Heck, I almost (egotistically) sent Pants a message a few weeks ago begging to somehow be part of the episode. I never had the guts to send the message, but the sentiment is there. :P

• Options
    mphilmphil Posts: 448
    Thanks @David_D, been listening a couple of years and been lurking the forums occasionally, think I'll start participating more now. Had to join just to say how much I'll miss Pants' enthusiasm.
  • Options
    mphil said:

I do one, and I think it's OK. ^_^

• Options
    WoodWood Posts: 19
    mphil said:

Difficult to know what you're looking for, and your mileage may vary. One place to start might be USA Today's Top 10 list:

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/popcandy/post/2011/02/pop-podcast-primer-my-top-10-comics-podcasts/1#.UmVhVvmsh8E

Keep in mind it's now 2+ years old and a few of those shows have sadly already pod faded. But the good news is most of them are still around, including the Top 3.

I would also recommend:

*** Loikamania
    *** No Apologies
    *** Sidebar
    *** Talking Comics
    *** The Black Box
    *** The Quad
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    CGS will continue to survive (it has in the past) as long as people keep listening. Savor the irony of this coming from someone who only tunes in occasionally to the podcasts he's interested in. :)

Never mistake it, though...CGS survives not from talented people like Brian, Bryan, Peter, and Mike (yep...I dug him) who have come and gone, but from you, the listeners who take the time to download and lend an ear, donating occasionally, showing up at Super-Shows, participating in this forum, etc. Without you guys, it's just some people sitting around a table talking comics...

The real secret behind Pants leaving is he heard there are some as-yet-unclaimed pages from 52 in a temple deep in the Brazilian rainforest. :)

Good luck to you in the future, Mr. Christman. I'm sure I'll be around to heckle you from an escalator at a convention in the near future! :)
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Wood said:

I want to echo Phil's sentiment. I'm not going to lie, when I heard the news this morning I genuinely thought, "there goes CGS." I tweeted a thanks to the show for being a trailblazer. Without CGS, many (most?) of us would've never become buddies, and more importantly a lot of us wouldn't have the podcasts and the popularity we have today. It all stems from what Bryan and Peter got started out of curiosity so many years ago.

When Peter and Bryan left, I figured the show would pod fade. Never in my wildest imagination would I bet that the guy we heard on the show who refused to eat vegetables, never participated in non-DC comic discussions, and was too shy to attend social events at cons, would become the savior.

But make no mistake, in many of our eyes -- Pants saved the show. Producing a show is hard work, much less producing one that puts out 4 episodes weekly. Brian rose to the occasion and kept the fire alive.

Does CGS really have another life? Is there another savior?

We'll see. I think I speak for everyone in hoping my skepticism is misplaced. I'll certainly raise a glass to you guys if the show keeps going on with the same professionalism and regularity we've come to expect.

And PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't mistake this post for any kind of admonition against the likes of Jamie, Shane, Murd and Matt. I love all of your guys and you know that. But we all know that producing a show is a much harder task than participating on a show. To be 100% clear, I would say the same thing about me and 11 O'Clock comics if Vince stopped producing the show. I live to be a part of our show but if I had to take over the production? It wouldn't be the same, and would eventually die. There's just an extra level of focus and time to keep a show running, and I don't blame ANYONE for not having that motivation.

I don't think any of the other casts of characters take any offense. Pants brought something special like B and Pete. Pants devoted the time and energy that his producing predecessors brought.

I recall reading elsewhere that some thought the show was officially done when Pete left, but the show evolved and moved forward. The same happened when B moved and reduced his presence on the show. It will continue to evolve and move forward. Worry not.

To quote Agent Lynch "I'm (we) bleeding, not sweating."

M
  • Options
    TrevTrev Posts: 310
    I will say it is definitely the end of an era. Pants, hope to still run into you at SDCC in artists alley.

Best of luck to the new guys coming on board.
  • Options
    Thank you Pants for all you have done for the show and the hours of entertainment you have brought to my life. Best of luck in all that you do.
  • Options
    jkuzeejkuzee Posts: 6
    I'm not an active forum poster, but I listen to every episode, and I just wanted to add my well wishes and my thanks to Pants for many enjoyable hours of listening. Pants, you should feel very proud of the job you've done as producer of CGS. Like a lot of people, I was concerned about the future of CGS after the departure of Peter and Brian, but you picked up the ball and the show went on without a hitch, IMHO. I hope you'll be back from time to time, and in the meantime, enjoy your life!

Jim Kuzee
  • Options
    iaconiacon Posts: 6
    I have to confess, I haven't listened to an episode in well over a year.

Then this morning my Facebook feed was filled with people posting on Pants' wall, and I had to get the episode. I'll copy, and expand on, what I said there.

Pants,

Three years ago I was listening to you interview some people at a con, and was struck by what a great interviewer you had turned into. There was such a marked difference in the way you interacted with creators and fans between then and when you had first joined the show. I don't remember if it was at Supershow, or the Wild Pig sale I attended, but I distinctly remember sitting in Deemer's basement shortly after that and telling him how very impressed I was with how you had grown to meet that particular challenge. Bryan totally agreed and then I think Tasha then said she just wished you would eat a strawberry.

I still don't know if you've eaten a strawberry, but you've made a huge impact on the show, and the listeners, and you've got friends who are proud of you and probably better people after being exposed to your nearly constant laughter.

All the best!
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Wow! Sad news. @Pants thanks for all you hard work! You'll be sorely missed. I hope you find your enthusiasm for podcasting sometime in the future and grace us with you presence once again. You made this show feel like home for me. You've taught me much and entertained me more! Good luck with all your future endeavours. I hope you'll be attending the London Super Comic Con in March. If so I will see you there and thank in person. Thank again!
  • Options
    mphil said:

Off the top of my head, here are ten that might work for you:

1) Raging Bullets (one of the best DC Comics Podcast around)
    2) 11 O'Clock Comics
    3) Comic Dorks
    4) Half Hour Wasted
    5) Legion of Dudes
    6) No Apologies
    7) The Black Box (which includes Tales From The Attic, a terrific backissue podcast)
    8) Comic Book Noise
    9) Comic Geek Speak (HA!)
    10) Comic Timing (plug plug plug plug)
  • Options
    Thank you, Brian, for all that you have done for the show! Although I have never run a podcast, I can tell it must be hard work to access all of the guests, conduct all of the interviews (especially during a con, which takes away time you could be doing other things there at that con), and all of the other behind-the-scenes activities you perform to make the CGS podcast what it is every week.
    I will continue to listen to CGS and look forward to how it evolves.
    And many thanks to the rest of the crew who take the time to bring us the podcast each week - Jamie, Shane, Matt, Adam, sometimes Kevin, and the extended family of Chris, Bill, Dani, and our founders Bryan and Peter.
  • Options
    Sorry to see you go, Pants. Thanks for some great 'casts... good luck, so long, and thanks for all the fish.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

so long, and thanks for all the fish.

Share and Enjoy!
  • Options
    ChrisMurrinChrisMurrin Posts: 256
    edited October 2013
    Trev said:

I will say it is definitely the end of an era. Pants, hope to still run into you at SDCC in artists alley.

Best of luck to the new guys coming on board.

A thousand times yes to all of this. Thanks for everything, Brian!

And you went out with backmasking! That's the devil's tool. In case anyone is wondering, the reverse audio at the end says, "I buried Pants."

• Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    wowowowow! this is bigger than Letterman going to CBS!!!

Pants, you were awesome - the glue of the podcast the past several years. Best of luck on whatever you do!!

e
    L nny