Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Daredevil Cancelled

Better to say that the current Daredevil run comes to a conclusion with #36, since sales haven't been bad enough to warrant a cancellation. (Or I would have mentioned it in the List Of Soon-To-Be Cancelled Comics...)

comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=48699

No word as to whether DD will continue in a new series, or whether writer Mark Waid would be returning with him if it did.

Comments

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,617
    My guess is that it is getting rebranded as "yellow shedevil" and will be cancelled then relaunched as "man without fear". Or maybe I'm just jaded from reading the hulk for the last decade.
  • Options
    It still sells way above the cancellation line, so it's probably just a Marvel Now thing. And Waid has put in almost 3 years on the book, that's actually a pretty long run in the current environment. I'm happy that he was able to give the character a fresh coat of paint and bring back the swashbuckling aspect of ol' HornHead!
  • Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    Sales haven't been bad, but they've been flat -- which, normally, is GREAT, for a comic to not lose more than like 4% of its readership over 2-3 years. But it's obvious that Marvel has been looking at this and thinking, "30,000 readers every month. Okay. But if we relaunch it with NOW! branding we can get: a new #1, a built-in $3.99 price-point, 5 variant covers, all for 100,000+ sales the first month and 60,000 sales the second!"

Call me cynical but I think it's amazing that Marvel in 2013 let a $2.99 series get to issue 36.

It's been a great run. I love DD and love what a good big handful of other writers have done with the character, but I'd still say that Waid comes in as having the 5th best DD run ever. And imo that's a huge compliment.

I think possibly that his run really is ending of his own accord, though. It seems like Waid would be wrapping things up in about 4-5 months anyway.

To be honest, I think the run already hit its peak quite a while ago. Actually, it had two peaks: the first six issues, then the culmination of the events of those first issues, which happened like 12-8 months ago.

Still, this needs to be Omnibusted sometime. Instant classic run.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited October 2013
    Mr. Fear somehow gets trapped in Matt's brain and the book will be relaunched as Daredevil: Man With Fear #1.

...or not.
  • Options
    I just started reading the Waid Run last weekend on the unlimited app. I think he has to be my favorite writer in comics.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    I've loved this title from jump-street. Mark Waid is my favorite writer working today. I won't go so far as to say he can do no wrong but, for me, he gets it right way more often than he doesn't. At this point I'd stick with Daredevil for 100 issues. Hate to see it wrap up.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    The book has been one of Marvel's best for well over a decade. Hopefully this will merit a top name creative team for the relaunch.
  • Options
    I feel like this is going to be like th Captain Marvel relaunch. Same writer, new artist, artificial sales bump. But if it gets people reading Waid's DD, Samnee is a loss but I'm ok with it and look forward to what ever he's moved on to. On the other hand, if Waid's done, then so am I, and Hawkeye will be my only monthly superhero title.
  • Options

The book has been one of Marvel's best for well over a decade. Hopefully this will merit a top name creative team for the relaunch.

Its solid titles like this that make creative teams into "top names". And I don't know many writers more "top name" than Waid. Maybe Warren Ellis, Alan Moore? I think he's in that league.
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    edited October 2013
  • Options
    Already a thread going. You can rant with the rest of us over there if you want. You're not the only grouchy one.
  • Options
    I was just so pissed. I like the series & it is $2.99 (retail). Waid & the artists on the title work their magic & just hooks you in. I'll be sad to see another writer/artist combo on DD fade away to work on something else.

Matthew
  • Options
    random73 said:

Its solid titles like this that make creative teams into "top names". And I don't know many writers more "top name" than Waid. Maybe Warren Ellis, Alan Moore? I think he's in that league.
    I would rank Waid FAR above Ellis. Waid can write in a number of different voices and tones, he can do mood shifts, and writes to a conclusion. Ellis has almost become a parody of himself, cynical dialogue, dystopian world, something outside of his influence keeps him from finishing a story....

• Options
    Ellis has more hits for me than misses. There aren't many comics out there that can compete with Planetary.

You could easily say Moore has become a parody of himself as well. That's okay. It doesn't take any of the richness away from his best stuff.

I can't stand Grant Morrison but he has some fans. I think Waid is miles better than that cat.

Waid is among the best writers living, that's all I'm saying. I was just using two guys I like as examples. You wanna rate Waid higher than Ellis in the hierarchy? Fine by me. I don't think he gets enough praise as it is.
  • Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    edited October 2013
    random73 said:

Waid is among the best writers living, that's all I'm saying.

Yep. Except I would change living to ever. He has, IMO, one of the best resumes in comics history.
  • Options

random73 said:

Waid is among the best writers living, that's all I'm saying.

Yep. Except I would change living to ever. He has, IMO, one of the best resumes in comics history.
    Preaching to the choir buddy.
  • Options
    I have no argument whatsoever with Waid's body of work. Morrison can be hit or miss, but I generally find his work to be enjoyable; outstanding, even. Ellis, in my opinion, is entirely overrated; of all of his work that I've read -- and, admittedly, it isn't much since I find his stuff so off-putting -- the only thing I found to be decent was a turn on The Authority.
  • Options

I have no argument whatsoever with Waid's body of work. Morrison can be hit or miss, but I generally find his work to be enjoyable; outstanding, even. Ellis, in my opinion, is entirely overrated; of all of his work that I've read -- and, admittedly, it isn't much since I find his stuff so off-putting -- the only thing I found to be decent was a turn on The Authority.

Nope. I will take Ellis over Morrison any day of the week. But then I would take a developmentally disabled money with a crayon over Morrison....
  • Options

I feel the same, only in reverse. Ellis is the hit or miss for me and I find Morrison to be the off-putting, overrated one, with All-Star Superman being his decent turn.
  • Options

I feel the same, only in reverse. Ellis is the hit or miss for me and I find Morrison to be the off-putting, overrated one, with All-Star Superman being his decent turn.
    @playdohsrepublic we may have more in common than I initially suspected.
  • Options
    random73 said:

Nope. I will take Ellis over Morrison any day of the week. But then I would take a developmentally disabled money with a crayon over Morrison....
    Yeah, I am absolutely the reverse. Except for The Authority, I haven't seen an Ellis story that I thought was worth the money I'd paid for it. Morrison, even when he falls short, continues to amaze me with the brilliance.
  • Options
    Apparently, Waid is leaving DD behind... and as a swan song, will be doing one last story as a digital mini-series.

comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=48843
  • Options
    That's such a huge shame, Waid breathed new life into Daredevil after Diggle damn near destroyed the character and franchise with Shadowland.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Shadowland better known as DD flaming dog poo.

Matthew
  • Options
    Elsiebub said:

It's been a great run. I love DD and love what a good big handful of other writers have done with the character, but I'd still say that Waid comes in as having the 5th best DD run ever. And imo that's a huge compliment.

I'd like to hear what you're top 4 are. I am assuming Miller, Bendis, Brubaker annnnndd... Kevin Smith?
  • Options
    My top 5 DD creative teams would be...

Lee and Wood
    Thomas and Colan
    Miller
    O'Neil and Mazzucelli
    Waid and Samnee
  • Options
    It will be interesting to see where the next team will take Daredevil. I keep hoping someone will explain away Shadowland to make it go away, as though it never happened. It has felt like a cloud over this run to me and I think it will be a cloud over any DD storyline to come. Maybe Dr. Strange could come in and work some sort of spell to make everyone forget it happened. Considering how long DD was such a great book, it makes you wonder how a storyline that bad made it through the editors. Such an awful follow up to Bendis/ Brubaker.
  • Options
    I think you get rid of Shadowland the way Waid did: Just don't bring it up. We don't need some big cosmic explanation (which doesn't fit the street level DD stories IMHO), just ignore it. I mean, we didn't need a 6 part story getting rid of the Punisher as a reborn angel, did we?
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,617

I think you get rid of Shadowland the way Waid did: Just don't bring it up. We don't need some big cosmic explanation (which doesn't fit the street level DD stories IMHO), just ignore it. I mean, we didn't need a 6 part story getting rid of the Punisher as a reborn angel, did we?

I've always thought the best way to handle Shadowland was have Matt wake up and say "what a shitty dream". Then never bring it up. I like to think of that as a Shooter Solution.

• Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    mwhitt80 said:

I've always thought the best way to handle Shadowland was have Matt wake up and say "what a shitty dream". Then never bring it up. I like to think of that as a Shooter Solution.

Is Patrick Duffy in the shower as well?