Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1432 Talkback: A Farewell to Pants

Comments

• Options
    Pants, I have loved the show with you at the helm. Hope you make regular appearances in the future.
  • Options
    NickNick Posts: 284
    Like everyone has said, we will miss you oh great @Pants! But if the podcast is taking away some of the fun you have reading and enjoying comics, then it's time for a break. Thank you for all that you've done for the show and us listeners. And BTW, I never thought you sounded like "you didn't have anything to say." I always thought you had lots of great insight, and of course very positive. Hope to see you back very soon!
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Hate to see you go @pants. You are to CGS what Nightcrawler is to the X-Men. The moral compass that keeps the Wolverines of the world in check. I'll miss you adding sincerity and genuineness to the show.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    You've done a great job on the show and will be missed. Looking forward to hearing how the show continues on though.
  • Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now Deemer REALLY needs to come back!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    The_JPThe_JP Posts: 33
    Thanks Pants, I hope you see you at cons or a quick pop in to the show from time to time.

JP
  • Options
    Pants, my good friend, you are at an extreme disadvantage here. Why? Because you and I have never met. Nevertheless, I feel as if I know you. I have spent many, many hours with you and your friends. And thus, I am so very sad to hear that you're leaving the show. I wish you nothing but the best. And I hope that some day, some how, I am able to show you how much you mean to so very many people around the world. This brief posting seems so completely inadequate. "Thank you" seems so trite and inadequate. Nevertheless, thank you. Thank you from me, and from so very many "strangers" all over the world. To you, we are mostly strangers. To us, you are a very dear friend. So, thank you for enlightening our life. I wish you infinite happiness.
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    Pants, I haven't listened to the episode yet (caught the announcement via Facebook). I want to extend a heartfelt thanks for the countless hours you've generously devoted to the show and to the entire CGS community. You were, and always will be, an integral component of the CGS legacy. I look forward to hearing you again when you take over as host on that Late Show gig.
  • Options
    I've often wondered how you guys keep the juice going for something that likely doesn't pay much, if anything. Thanks for all the time, Pants! Good luck with whatever you're going to turn all this new-found time into.

Like a few others have said, CGS is the only comic cast I listen to. The number of shows I listen to has flagged lately, but I don't think I've missed one that Chris Eberle has been a part of. He's a great asset if he can find the time to sit in more. Jamie and Murd are also still top drawer. I think that it's safe to say that Jamie's dad should have a big part of the show going forward.
  • Options
    I can't say anything that hasn't already been said in this thread. So just add my heartfelt gratitude onto the mountain of appreciation we all have for Pants - a great guy who's done a great job making the world of comics much greater for all of us.
  • Options
    Wow, did not expect to see this when I came here. I too met Pants (and Murd and Deemer) briefly at HeroesCon a few years ago. The show won't be the same without you, and I'll miss hearing you on it, like everyone else. I respect and support your decision, and thank you for your years of contributions to the show.
  • Options
    Really gonna miss you, Pants. You brought more to the table than I think you know. Hope to run into you at a con at some point down the timestream.

chris
  • Options
    Thanks, Pants!

I hardly come back here and have pretty much pod faded from listening to any podcasts other than the occasional Sidebar episode and Matt's Pulp show. But I still consider all the CGS gang friends, even if I don't see them for a few years.

I remember the days when we would organize the CGS West Coast gatherings and we were planning a big dinner (25-30 people) at the San Diego con and I asked Pants to be our special guest star of the shindig. I don't think I had met him before at this point and my worry was that he would be a shy recluse at this dinner. I could not have been more wrong. He was absolutely delightful and a very social person.

I haven't seen him in a couple years but I'm sure I'll bump into him again some day at the San Diego con again. As I hope to with the rest of the CGS Crew as I still have very found memories of when I was out in PA back in 2007 for CGS 300. Good times.

Muchas gracias, Señor Pantalones!

Sharkjumper
    (formerly Atomic99)
  • Options
    NOOOO! Pants I wish you the best, and want to say that you are the best.

In my imagination I see a sad strumming guitar, a singer alone on a darkened stage quietly singing:

"they call him smarty pants, looking for romance, all it took was just one glance for this smarty pants"

Pants walking out into a world of endless possibilities.

END SCENE

• Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    Sorry to see you go. Who's gonna do the Monkees' Spotlights? Change is scary, the Geeks have persevered, they will again.
  • Options
    I am very upset by this news, in fact, I think it ruined my day. I hope that Pants changes his mind and comes back. Peter and Bryan need to come back as well. I have not listened to the episode yet but I cannot ever stress enough to the Geeks about how important this podcast is to me. I do not have any friends that read comics and this is a place I can go and vicariously listen in on friends talk about the books we love. Thank you for all the time and effort you put in to this podcast Brian and please consider coming back.
  • Options
    Well I know I don't post a lot here, so my voice carries little ... if any, weight, but I do listen to everyone of the podcasts and have to be honest, I am not looking forward to the future episodes "sans Pants". This is not a negative remark towards all the remaining 'casters or anyone involved with the show, and I think Jamie will be fine. I mean everyone of you guys are worthy of being here, but I don't think I will listen as much now that Brian is away from the chair. It's just not going to be the podcast I have enjoyed all this time. I came in when he had already stepped into the role, and without him, it will be like someone else writing the WALKING DEAD. Yes, it COULD be as good, but without Kirkman (Pants) do I really care?

Why can't Pants stay and do "his thing" while just not talking as much (as he states his reason for leaving is he has nothing to say)? I really don't think he is aware how much he brings to this damn show, even when he sits in silence or just makes inquisitions ... with are the best part by the way ;-)

Anyway, again, sad to see Brian go and also sad that his leaving will probably force me to step away as well. Just not a desire to listen right now. I hope that changes, but I also hope Brian changes his mind.

Peace, Brian ... and to all the CGSers
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    It was the first podcast with @Pants and a laugh track. There simply is no other podcast out there who can claim to have these assets.
  • Options
    Matt said:

Well I know I don't post a lot here, so my voice carries little ... if any, weight, but I do listen to everyone of the podcasts and have to be honest, I am not looking forward to the future episodes "sans Pants". This is not a negative remark towards all the remaining 'casters or anyone involved with the show, and I think Jamie will be fine. I mean everyone of you guys are worthy of being here, but I don't think I will listen as much now that Brian is away from the chair. It's just not going to be the podcast I have enjoyed all this time. I came in when he had already stepped into the role, and without him, it will be like someone else writing the WALKING DEAD. Yes, it COULD be as good, but without Kirkman (Pants) do I really care?

Why can't Pants stay and do "his thing" while just not talking as much (as he states his reason for leaving is he has nothing to say)? I really don't think he is aware how much he brings to this damn show, even when he sits in silence or just makes inquisitions ... with are the best part by the way ;-)

Anyway, again, sad to see Brian go and also sad that his leaving will probably force me to step away as well. Just not a desire to listen right now. I hope that changes, but I also hope Brian changes his mind.

Firstly, Pants will have to answer you're inquires, as no one told him he had to produce to be on the show.
    Did anyone tell him he had to be on the show in order to continue to produce it? In this episode he's saying he doesn't feel like he has anything more to say. Not that he doesn't want to produce, but wants to talk.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited October 2013

Matt said:

Firstly, Pants will have to answer you're inquires, as no one told him he had to produce to be on the show.
    Did anyone tell him he had to be on the show in order to continue to produce it? In this episode he's saying he doesn't feel like he has anything more to say. Not that he doesn't want to produce, but wants to talk.
    I don't want to speak for Pants but I think the whole point is that he just doesn't have that fire in his belly to podcast anymore. Whether just producing or being a vocal part of the show.

• Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

Matt said:

Nope. My assessment is that Pants is just burnt out.

M
  • Options
    usuallymattusuallymatt Posts: 1
    edited October 2013
    I've never commented in this forum before now. I'm in my 30s and approached comics for the first time about 18 months ago. The only friends I have that read comics either don't read a lot of the mainstream stuff or don't live near me. Basically I have no one to BS with when it comes to comics and CGC is a real joy to listen to. I'm an ex-pat Brit so I'm a massive Dr Who fan, too.
    I listen to a lot of Podcasts. In my experience the good ones are the ones from major organisations like BBC or professional broadcasters like TWiT and 5by5. Very rarely do I find anything that is being put out by those whose 'primary profession' is broadcasting or producing.
    The production value of CGC is fantastic. I'm sure a lot of work goes into producing the show as it really shows. I haven't heard early episodes but you guys really seem to know what you're doing - especially @pants. It will be sad to see /hear him go but be warned...the bar has been set very high. I think less episodes per week might be a good idea. I'm sticking around but, man! I'm gonna miss Pants. He did a very fine job indeed and I hope to hear from him again in future.
    I'm assuming/hoping he's still into Comics and Dr Who.
  • Options
    I started listening to the show in 2008 and in 2009 I went back and listend to every single episode (took me about 5 months). I would suggest that to anyone that needs a fix. I am 39 now and I had just got into comics after seeing Iron Man 1. Since that time I have read every Captain America issue and I am up to 1989 on all the x-books. I feel like I have graduated from Comics univeristy by listening to this podcast. I listend to the podcast at lunch today and came close to tears everytime. Pants compared himself to Carson at the end of the show and I think it applies. With the stress of life pepople seek for something they can count on. For many Carson was somone you could count on to be there to tuck you in at night same way Dave or Conan is now. With the new media we have, an everyday Joe like Pants can become that person to people like me who liked to relax after work and getaway from it all. I know this kind of change is inevitlble but I want all the Geeks to know their hard work and dedication is much appreciated. Thank you again, Pants.
  • Options
    WOW! Really shocked at this. Shame to see Pants go, hope he gets refuelled and jumps back on (even if it is just to hear his progress with Dr Who!). Thanks for all that you have done (including all the stuff we never see or hear about!) CGS is an awesome podcast and long may it continue.
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    Well if anyone watched Arrow tonight Pants was honored at least twice! 52!
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

Well if anyone watched Arrow tonight Pants was honored at least twice! 52!

@Peter had to pull some strings.

M
  • Options
    I hardly ever post but this is a good reason to. I'll miss you Brian. I'll miss hearing your voice, laugh, sense of humor and all your Lettermanisms. Who would have known that all those years of watching Dave in your youth would train you to be a host of one best podcasts ever produced? I hope you can visit from time to time, I'll be listening for ya.

Take care.

Rob
  • Options
    Thank you Pants for all the great shows! You will be missed for sure!