Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Advocating the A-Team

Comments

• Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    the opening talking part of the theme to A-team fits snugly between the opening acapella part of Carry on My Wayward Son by Kansas and the next singing part

when working as an overnight DJ you make your own fun
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,617

I watched it when I first got the SciFi Channel and was amazed at just how terrible it looked. It was the Bigfoot episode, and I have seen better effects and dialogue in my friend's super 8 movies he made in his back yard.

I'm betting the movie was much better because it was based on a decent enough book. But the series was aimed at kids...and Land of the Lost was better written.

Don't hate on Bigfoot that's Andre the Giant. Do you know how much selling he had to do to make a bionic Lee Majors look credible?
  • Options

Then again, it was a VERY dark time for TV...you had a few great shows like Hill Street Blues and St. Elsewhere, but the smart sit-coms of the 70's were gone and dramas had gone so lowest common denominator that most of the stuff on TV was unwatchable. I have revisited a few of the TV shows I loved as a kid, and I wish I would have left them in my memory. The Six Million Dollar Man looked like a high school production...just heartbreaking.

The current era for TV is SO much better...

There are a more tv shows that were great during the 80s the first two seasons of Miami Vice, and Cheers. But you are right it was a terrible time for tv, and today is way better.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    mwhitt80 said:

Then again, it was a VERY dark time for TV...you had a few great shows like Hill Street Blues and St. Elsewhere, but the smart sit-coms of the 70's were gone and dramas had gone so lowest common denominator that most of the stuff on TV was unwatchable. I have revisited a few of the TV shows I loved as a kid, and I wish I would have left them in my memory. The Six Million Dollar Man looked like a high school production...just heartbreaking.

There are a more tv shows that were great during the 80s the first two seasons of Miami Vice, and Cheers. But you are right it was a terrible time for tv, and today is way better.
    I think we may need to use a sliding scale here. there were a number of shows that were great for their time that have been left behind (so to speak) by the film and television conventions we use today. I don't think a comedy like All in The Family could get made today it is too politically incorrect. At the same time there is no way Game of Thones could have made it on the air in 1974. It is almost like comparing a Gutenberg printing press to today's "print on demand" technology. It isn't really a fair comparison. An objects or program's historical context matters.
  • Options
    having said that The A-Team is dross in any era.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    Comedies seem to be the shows that suffer the most due to the passage of time. Restrictions of the past forced shows to use physical comedy and imply a lot with jokes without being too direct about it. That would not fly today. Even on network tv, there isn't too much that cannot be talked about.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

I imagine in 25+ years people will look back on the popular shows of today and think they were boring and inferior to the popular shows of the that day.

I do think that in 25+ years people will still be critical of series finales. That may be timeless.

• Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    random73 said:

It certainly wasn't the 'LOST' or 'Shield' of its era, but calling the A-Team worthless is ridiculous. As much a fan as I am, even I see how flawed it was. It was action, building, comedic, & ridiculous...but was a guy's type of show (hence why the female roles didn't last long.) Since most guys in my age range that I know enjoyed the series on some level, its hard to call the series dross.

Comedies seem to be the shows that suffer the most due to the passage of time. Restrictions of the past forced shows to use physical comedy and imply a lot with jokes without being too direct about it. That would not fly today. Even on network tv, there isn't too much that cannot be talked about.

To some extent, I miss the implied joke era. I prefer comedy where you have to make the connections for the punch lines implied, then the 'laugh track' humor I find most sitcoms to implore nowadays.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

random73 said:

It certainly wasn't the 'LOST' or 'Shield' of its era, but calling the A-Team worthless is ridiculous. As much a fan as I am, even I see how flawed it was. It was action, building, comedic, & ridiculous...but was a guy's type of show (hence why the female roles didn't last long.) Since most guys in my age range that I know enjoyed the series on some level, its hard to call the series dross.

To some extent, I miss the implied joke era. I prefer comedy where you have to make the connections for the punch lines implied, then the 'laugh track' humor I find most sitcoms to implore nowadays.

M
    it wasn't hard. The A-Team is Dross. see? easy! :)
  • Options
    random73 said:

Matt said:

random73 said:

M
    it wasn't hard. The A-Team is Dross. see? easy! :)
    Your usage of dross is on the dross side of the A-team spectrum from mine.

You're right, it wasn't hard. ;)

M
  • Options

I totally disagree. The best shows hold up remarkably well... I still think Bewitch'd, Get Smart, the Honeymooners and a bunch of other 50-60's era comedies are still funny because the writing was so good, and good writing is timeless. And by the 70's shows maybe weren't as crass as they are now, but they could deal with subjects pretty directly. Cheers and Taxi make me laugh, even the Cosby Show sometimes. If anything, as great as drama has been in the last ten years, this is one of the worst eras of sitcoms in television history.
  • Options

I totally disagree. The best shows hold up remarkably well... I still think Bewitch'd, Get Smart, the Honeymooners and a bunch of other 50-60's era comedies are still funny because the writing was so good, and good writing is timeless. And by the 70's shows maybe weren't as crass as they are now, but they could deal with subjects pretty directly. Cheers and Taxi make me laugh, even the Cosby Show sometimes. If anything, as great as drama has been in the last ten years, this is one of the worst eras of sitcoms in television history.
    Thats true I do love Taxi. I think Action/Adventure shows suffer the worst.
  • Options
    random73 said:

That I do agree with. Stunts and effects and writing have come such a long way and they simply don't make as many. I think the same will be said about the action/adventure shows from today, 20 years from now, though.

In fact, now that i've had some time to think about it, I'd say comedies are probably the most evergreen of tv shows, followed distantly by sci-fi/genre (because the fans keep them alive). Action/adventure would be behind that, then dramas and finally Nighttime Soaps, which scream whatever decade they came from. I believe the dramas from the last 10-15 years will hold up much better than ones from before the "HBO" revolution, but previous to that they are all dated.

• Options
    Cheers is still funny.
  • Options

random73 said:

That I do agree with. Stunts and effects and writing have come such a long way and they simply don't make as many. I think the same will be said about the action/adventure shows from today, 20 years from now, though.

In fact, now that i've had some time to think about it, I'd say comedies are probably the most evergreen of tv shows, followed distantly by sci-fi/genre (because the fans keep them alive). Action/adventure would be behind that, then dramas and finally Nighttime Soaps, which scream whatever decade they came from. I believe the dramas from the last 10-15 years will hold up much better than ones from before the "HBO" revolution, but previous to that they are all dated.

This might be a both/and rather than an either/or situation. I agree there are some examples of timeless writing. arsenic and old lace is still the funniest movie I've ever seen. But there are some formulaic conventions of different eras that are terrible products of their time. And I'd put the A-Team in this category. Although sometimes I enjoy watching movies from a certain era precisely because they are products of their time. I LOVE 70's post apocalyptic dystopian future movies (Soilent Green, A Boy and his Dog, Planet of the Apes, The omega man, mad Max etc.) because of what they demonstrate about society at the time.
  • Options
    I actually find most of those comedies from the 50s-70s to be similar to comedies today: unfunny. Its like Borat; I get the jokes, they just aren't funny.

The writing of the shows from the 50s-70s are better written, i.e. entertaining, but I wouldn't say that makes them funny.

I also wouldn't label any of those shows 'rubbish.' A show which garners fans, merchandise, & set formulas for other shows cannot really be worthless. Dated, yes, but not worthless.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

I actually find most of those comedies from the 50s-70s to be similar to comedies today: unfunny. Its like Borat; I get the jokes, they just aren't funny.

The writing of the shows from the 50s-70s are better written, i.e. entertaining, but I wouldn't say that makes them funny.

I also wouldn't label any of those shows 'rubbish.' A show which garners fans, merchandise, & set formulas for other shows cannot really be worthless. Dated, yes, but not worthless.

M

You looked up the definition of dross didn't you? Thats why you're hung up on the word worthless. let me clarify. I meant low quality stuff (technically stuff left behind in the smelting process) but I wouldn't actually say worthless. Everything (except Martians Go Home starring Randy Quaid) has SOME value. The A-Team is an example of the lowest common denominator sort of target audience. It is just dumb fun and thats fine but lets not pretend its Shakespeare.
  • Options
    random73 said:

Matt said:

M

You looked up the definition of dross didn't you? Thats why you're hung up on the word worthless. let me clarify. I meant low quality stuff (technically stuff left behind in the smelting process) but I wouldn't actually say worthless. Everything (except Martians Go Home starring Randy Quaid) has SOME value. The A-Team is an example of the lowest common denominator sort of target audience. It is just dumb fun and thats fine but lets not pretend its Shakespeare.
    The moment 'Hannibal' had a different hair style when he kicked a Mexican before reverting to George Peppard again in the pilot episode, any notion this series was Shakespeare went right out the window. I don't think I've ever thought or posted it was anything remotely on that level (though Shakespeare's writing has never impressed me)

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

random73 said:

Matt said:

M

The moment 'Hannibal' had a different hair style when he kicked a Mexican before reverting to George Peppard again in the pilot episode, any notion this series was Shakespeare went right out the window. I don't think I've ever thought or posted it was anything remotely on that level (though Shakespeare's writing has never impressed me)

M
    The Beatles are overrated, Shakespeare doesn't impress... I have to know, what does impress you? Clearly your love of the A-team is rational, you know it was silly fun. Just so we have some kind of reference for your POV, what is great?
  • Options

Matt said:

random73 said:

Matt said:

M

M
    The Beatles are overrated, Shakespeare doesn't impress... I have to know, what does impress you? Clearly your love of the A-team is rational, you know it was silly fun. Just so we have some kind of reference for your POV, what is great?
    'Impressed' is the wrong word. Not a fan would be better.

I don't know if I could quantify my tastes. Normally I seem to prefer the unpopular, accredited stuff. Its one of the reasons I won't buy a kindle. Most of the stuff I enjoy reading isn't going to be kindle-able.

M
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    What if the A team saved some community theater Shakespeare group from losing their theatre to some corrupt property owner? Would that satisfy everyone?

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Matt said:

The moment 'Hannibal' had a different hair style when he kicked a Mexican before reverting to George Peppard again in the pilot episode, any notion this series was Shakespeare went right out the window.

Damn straight. Richard Burbage did all his own stunts!
  • Options
    Matt said:

(though Shakespeare's writing has never impressed me)

M

Exit, pursued by a bear.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    mwhitt80 said:

Cheers is still funny.

agreed.

• Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Shows that (to Torchsong) have stood the test of time:

50s - I Love Lucy, the Honeymooners, You Bet Your Life (because if Groucho is involved it's great and screw you if you think differently. :) )

60s - Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie (okay...I have a Barbara Eden thing), The Monkees, Batman (albeit as a parody of what we've come to define Batman as)

70s - All in the Family, MASH, Taxi

80s - Cheers, Night Court (minus the final season)

90s - Frasier, Deep Space Nine

Not including anything after that because there should be a good 20 year or so gap before we can include the "of time" in "test of time"
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

Shows that (to Torchsong) have stood the test of time:

50s - I Love Lucy, the Honeymooners, You Bet Your Life (because if Groucho is involved it's great and screw you if you think differently. :) )

60s - Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie (okay...I have a Barbara Eden thing), The Monkees, Batman (albeit as a parody of what we've come to define Batman as)

70s - All in the Family, MASH, Taxi

80s - Cheers, Night Court (minus the final season)

90s - Frasier, Deep Space Nine

Not including anything after that because there should be a good 20 year or so gap before we can include the "of time" in "test of time"

I concur about Barbara Eden. I could never get into Bewitched because I thought it was an inferior imitation (I only ever saw reruns, so I don't know which actually aired first.)

No Seinfeld for the 90s? With the exception of a handful of episodes in the early episodes, I thought once George started working for the Yankees (the only incarnation of the organization I've ever like the team) the show was hilarious. I can still watch countless hours of the series.

M
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Matt said:

I concur about Barbara Eden. I could never get into Bewitched because I thought it was an inferior imitation (I only ever saw reruns, so I don't know which actually aired first.)

Bewitched aired first by a year. And as far as I'm concerned, it was by far the better show. Better writing, better cast (thanks to the supporting characters). I'm with you on Barbara Eden though.

@Torchsong, with the ’50s you’ve got to have Gunsmoke. There are some really excellent stories in those early years.

To the ’60s I would add The Wild, Wild West. I’ve rewatched the first two seasons recently, and it’s still a very fun show. Also, The Twilight Zone.

’70s, The Muppet Show. I mean, it’s The Muppet Show for cryin’ out loud.

Unfortunately, though I loved Night Court when it aired, I don’t think it's held up all that well. It has its moments, but I find it somewhat difficult to watch now.
  • Options

Matt said:

Bewitched aired first by a year. And as far as I'm concerned, it was by far the better show. Better writing, better cast (thanks to the supporting characters). I'm with you on Barbara Eden though.
    Barbara Eden was cute, but Elizabeth Montgomery was beautiful. Plus smart is so much sexier than silly.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I would add the Mary Tyler Moore Show to the 70s.
    Also she was the tv babe of the 60s.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    WetRats said:

Barbara Eden was cute, but Elizabeth Montgomery was beautiful. Plus smart is so much sexier than silly.

See, I'm the opposite - I'll take cute over beautiful or sexy. Not that Elizabeth Montgomery wasn't easy on the eyes, or that Sam wasn't smarter than Jeannie (she was) or that I don't care for Bewitched (I do)...but in the battle of cute girl vs. voluptuous girl, cute usually wins out with me.

And good additions to my list - totally forgot about Seinfield and the Muppet Show, both staples of viewing for me.

Night Court remains a personal - albeit biased - favorite mainly because I pretty much loved every single cast member in it, and there was a major rotating cast if you recall. Harry Anderson, John Laroquette (still one of my favorite actors...vastly underused and underappreciated), Marsha Warfield, Florence Hallop, Markie Post (who went on to play Electra Woman in a pilot that was a deliciously awful take on the series), Ellen Foley (give yourself a bonus point if you know what her OTHER claim to fame is) (hint...stop right there...she's gotta know right now)...