Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Movie News: Man of Steel

Comments

• Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    WetRats said:
    The moment the writer states "raised not to save anyone" he looses me. That's not what Pa was teaching. Its the same incorrect premise people who dislike/hate the movie zero in on. After that, he basically points out how Thor (in a sequel, mind you) is a better Superman. How about we compare his first movie to Man of Steel?

Let's wait to see how much Superman changes in his sequel. THEN we should compare sequel to sequel. The Thor of Dark War wasn't the same as in the initial movie. He made those connections by the end of the movie.

Apparently, Thor gets to have an origin movie, but Superman doesn't. His first movie has to be sequel level.

M
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
  • Options
    PeterPeter Posts: 470
    Matt - He lost me at the opening sentence of "I don’t really care about Superman and you don’t really care about Superman...". Oh, okay then. No need to read that one. :-@
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Peter said:

Matt - He lost me at the opening sentence of "I don’t really care about Superman and you don’t really care about Superman...". Oh, okay then. No need to read that one. :-@

Yeah, he lost me there too even though I didn't like the movie either.

• Options
    Peter said:

Yeah, this article is ridiculous. I'm not saying everyone should like the movie, but when the review is riddled with subjective notions, potshots at Snyder & Nolan, and comparing apples (sequel movie) to oranges (intro movie) its hard to take it into consideration.

I have found (still) people who aren't vested in the Superman comics (or deep into comics) found the movie enjoyable. Pete commented to me how when other characters have been altered (like Wolverine, Iron Man) people don't seem to fuss. For some reason Superman is on this pedistal that can't be altered. Some of the criticisms for Superman Returns was that it was still in the world of Donner's movie. Now we get something different & its getting criticized for NOT being like Donner.

M
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    edited January 2014
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Matt said:

I have found (still) people who aren't vested in the Superman comics (or deep into comics) found the movie enjoyable.

My son has cerebral palsy and so he has nurses who help take care of him in our home. One day one of them was talking to my wife about how she didn't like MOS because that wasn't her Superman. I dashed into the room and started telling her how I couldn't agree more and went on and on about things that have already been said in this thread...finally I'm done with my rant and she says, "Um, I watched Smallville and I just wanted Tom Welling in the movie." I felt really stupid.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    I like the idea for the movie universe. However, I would much rather see them use the New52 origin.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    rebis said:

I like the idea for the movie universe. However, I would much rather see them use the New52 origin.
    Are you being facetious?
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586

So yeah, when it got to the end, and Supes had Zod in a headlock... My dad said "Just finish it. He's gotta do it. Just kill him."

And after the deed? "I know he didn't want to, but he had to."...

The Doom Family

:D
    *snaps fingers*
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Matt said:

I have found (still) people who aren't vested in the Superman comics (or deep into comics) found the movie enjoyable.

My son has cerebral palsy and so he has nurses who help take care of him in our home. One day one of them was talking to my wife about how she didn't like MOS because that wasn't her Superman. I dashed into the room and started telling her how I couldn't agree more and went on and on about things that have already been said in this thread...finally I'm done with my rant and she says, "Um, I watched Smallville and I just wanted Tom Welling in the movie." I felt really stupid.
    So if the movie starred Tom Welling, it'd have been 'her Superman?'

I'd say Smallville could be argued as being 'not Superman' just as much as Man of Steel is.

M
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Matt said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Matt said:

So if the movie starred Tom Welling, it'd have been 'her Superman?'

I'd say Smallville could be argued as being 'not Superman' just as much as Man of Steel is.

M
    Yeah, I think Tom Welling was the only Superman she ever knew. I guess it's a big change if all you're used to is people sitting around a barn or coffee shop talking.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    random73 said:

rebis said:

Are you being facetious?
    Not at all. The idea proposed in the rumor is intriguing. However, I don't want that attached to Wonder Woman or her mythos. If it happens then the next thing you know it will be creeping into the comics.
    I've been binge reading WW New52 trades and have really enjoyed them. I like the "horror" take. I like how the Amazons have been "dirtied" up a bit. The title is one of the few things in New52 that has worked. My only nitpick is that DC should have stayed with the pants.
  • Options
    rebis said:

random73 said:

rebis said:

Are you being facetious?
    Not at all. The idea proposed in the rumor is intriguing. However, I don't want that attached to Wonder Woman or her mythos. If it happens then the next thing you know it will be creeping into the comics.
    I've been binge reading WW New52 trades and have really enjoyed them. I like the "horror" take. I like how the Amazons have been "dirtied" up a bit. The title is one of the few things in New52 that has worked. My only nitpick is that DC should have stayed with the pants.
    OH! you mean you would Rather the Wonder Woman New52 Origin. gotcha. I misunderstood. I thought you wanted New52 Supes. okay. I'm with you now.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    In celebration of this very vivid thread I'm going to re-watch Man of Steel tonite. Now, after all the praise.... the experience just has to be different ;;)
  • Options

In celebration of this very vivid thread I'm going to re-watch Man of Steel tonite. Now, after all the praise.... the experience just has to be different ;;)

I tried re-watching it a few days ago. I made it about half way through.
  • Options
    rebis said:

Really? I can at least watch up until Zod and Kent start the royal rumble after Kent kisses Lois.

Transformers 3 is on FX. Interestingly enough, Chicago gets trashed. Any concerns about the people in the collapsing buildings of this movie?

M
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    I've seen it 3 1/2 times now. Once in theater and twice on dvd. The half was mostly looking at specific scenes. Found it worse, less enjoyable/ likeable and more "offensive" with each viewing. Really not a great movie IMO (and that's graded regardless of my thoughts on their treatment of the character). Sure it was "exciting" and there was a lot of action, which was missing from previous movies. But that's about all this one has to offer. And most of it is gratuitous and uninspired. That's great the first viewing but boring as hell after. It was gratuitous and boring in trans3 too. But as with the destruction in avengers, and as been discussed, there were big differences. Primarily how it was handled not that it happened.

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited January 2014
    Matt said:

rebis said:

Transformers 3 is on FX. Interestingly enough, Chicago gets trashed. Any concerns about the people in the collapsing buildings of this movie?

M
    Yes- I remember being bummed out about that at the time, as it made the Autobiots seem less heroic. I actually think, waaaaay back at the start of the spoiler thread on MoS, that I compared the destruction in MofS to Transformers. That part of what I didn't like about the tone of MofS is that- like these Transformers movies- it feels like a movie of Earth becoming the battleground for an alien war, with terrifying results. Which is not the feeling I want from a Superman movie.

(Or a Transformers movie, for that matter)
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    David_D said:

Matt said:

rebis said:

M
    Yes- I remember being bummed out about that at the time, as it made the Autobiots seem less heroic. I actually think, waaaaay back at the start of this thread, that I compared the destruction in MofS to Transformers. That part of what I didn't like about the tone of MofS is that- like these Transformers movies- it feels like a movie of Earth becoming the battleground for an alien war, with terrifying results. Which is not the feeling I want from a Superman movie.

Interesting. I wonder if that will be this eras theme 'Earth destroyed in alien crossfire'. In the same way other eras are defined by recurring themes in cinema. The late 60's early 70's had 'demonic child' movies (Rosemary's Baby, The Exorcist, The Omen) which had not really been seen before in film. Also, interesting that it occurs just at the time abortion becomes legal in the United States (1973). The late 70's had their 'post apocalyptic dystopian future' (Omega Man, Boy and his Dog, Soilent Green, planet of the Apes). They seem to reflect the Cold War paranoia of nuclear Armageddon.

What theme do you see recurring in our current cinematic age?
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    David_D said:

Matt said:

rebis said:

M
    Yes- I remember being bummed out about that at the time, as it made the Autobiots seem less heroic. I actually think, waaaaay back at the start of this thread, that I compared the destruction in MofS to Transformers. That part of what I didn't like about the tone of MofS is that- like these Transformers movies- it feels like a movie of Earth becoming the battleground for an alien war, with terrifying results. Which is not the feeling I want from a Superman movie.

Did you have a similar reaction to the Superman v Darkseid battle at the end of Justice League Unlimited?
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

I'm still upset Han Solo blew up all those independent contractors who were working on rebuilding the Death Star.

Earmuffs kids... at least your girlfriend didn't suck 37 dicks.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Mr_Cosmic said:

I'm still upset Han Solo blew up all those independent contractors who were working on rebuilding the Death Star.

Dude!

Han Solo didn't blow up either Death Star.

Luke Skywalker got one, Lando Calrissian and Nien Nunb got the other.

Please turn in your nerd card.

:-B
  • Options
    hauberk said:

David_D said:

Matt said:

rebis said:

M

Did you have a similar reaction to the Superman v Darkseid battle at the end of Justice League Unlimited?
    I never watched that show so I didn't know the clip. But I saw it when @Matt posted and we talked it over back then -- I think I remember that it was similarly reckless, and surprising, though not as over the top. And it was also a cartoon, and so for me the violence and destruction on purpose looks less real, and therefore feels a little less real.
  • Options
    I feel at this point, we're discussing the same stuff from the early portion of this thread. I had forgotten @David_D mentioned Transformers previously.

Have we officially come full circle (a la top button discussion) on this topic?

M
  • Options
    David_D said:

hauberk said:

David_D said:

Matt said:

rebis said:

M

I never watched that show so I didn't know the clip. But I saw it when @Matt posted and we talked it over back then -- I think I remember that it was similarly reckless, and surprising, though not as over the top. And it was also a cartoon, and so for me the violence and destruction on purpose looks less real, and therefore feels a little less real.
    Interesting. I think that I've appreciated the destruction more, ironically, since Marvel first published Damage, Inc. back in the late '80's/early '90's. I suppose it's possible to keep everything sugar-coated, but a running battle over a major metro area is going to result in huge amounts of property damage and likely a pretty hefty death toll.

Going back to Superman II, as I recall, Superman gets a bus full of commuters thrown at him. He catches it and gently sets it down, resulting in zero injury to any of the bus occupants. Now, maybe part of Superman's power set is actually an inertial dampening field, (like the Flash's friction shield in Holy Terror) but as I look at scenes like that, I see the frame of the bus crumpling when the entire force is being absorbed into the +/-.5 SF of his combined hand spread while the people inside are being flung around (and ejected) like candy in a piñata.

Same thing when Superman picks up a ship by it's keel - it's going to shear at exactly that point.

I don't need to see all of that, to enjoy a movie, but it does take me out of it to realize that for the scene to work, the entire bus needs to be made of a Rimborian supermetal. That doesn't just go for something like Man of Steel - I spent much of the back end of the Peter Jackson King Kong pondering where all of the artillery shells that didn't hit Kong went.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Dude!

Han Solo didn't blow up either Death Star.

Luke Skywalker got one, Lando Calrissian and Nien Nunb got the other.

Please turn in your nerd card.

:-B
    Yeah, that's what happens when I work midnight shifts..hey, at least I was able to reference a scene from Clerks.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Matt said:

I feel at this point, we're discussing the same stuff from the early portion of this thread. I had forgotten @David_D mentioned Transformers previously.

M

You know what's even crazier? It wasn't even this thread! I think this one is now caught in the gravitational pull of The Super Duper Man of Steel Spoiler Discussion one.
  • Options
    Matt said:

M

David_D said:

Matt said:

M

You know what's even crazier? It wasn't even this thread! I think this one is now caught in the gravitational pull of The Super Duper Man of Steel Spoiler Discussion one.
    Apologies. I only just managed to see MoS over break and have yet to get through all of the two threads.