Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Official Novel Thread -What Are You Reading?

Comments

• Options
    kgforcekgforce Posts: 326
    About 1/3 of the way through Black List by Brad Thor. It's #11 in the Scot Horvath series... I've read one or two others and enjoyed them. Got this because it was on sale for Kindle the other day.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Working through 'Dangerous Women', edited by George RR Martin and Gardner Dozois. A collection of short stories about dangerous women around 770 pages long.

Halfway through.

The Jim Butcher 'Dresden Files' story is good and there are a few others that are good and some are clunkers, but that all depends on your taste in a short stories book. I'm wanting to get to the last story which is a 'Game of Thrones' prequel/spinoff/whatever by George RR Martin.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

Working through 'Dangerous Women', edited by George RR Martin and Gardner Dozois. A collection of short stories about dangerous women around 770 pages long.

Halfway through.

The Jim Butcher 'Dresden Files' story is good and there are a few others that are good and some are clunkers, but that all depends on your taste in a short stories book. I'm wanting to get to the last story which is a 'Game of Thrones' prequel/spinoff/whatever by George RR Martin.

Bought it for the Jim Butcher story as well.

Got halfway through, was really impressed by the Joe R. Lansdale story (and the overview of his work), and have been diverted by a couple of his novels.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Bought it for the Jim Butcher story as well.

Got halfway through, was really impressed by the Joe R. Lansdale story (and the overview of his work), and have been diverted by a couple of his novels.

I don't know if I've read that one yet but I'll look back at it.

The story about the shades and the White Wolf was pretty good also.

• Options
    kgforcekgforce Posts: 326
    Just starting The Shadow Lamp (Bright Empires #4) by Stephen Lawhead
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    I wrapped up Into the Looking Glass by John Ringo. I must qualify that I've quite enjoyed what I've previously read from Ringo (the extended series of Aldenata books and the Empire of Man books (March Upcountry, etc). As the first foray into a new series, an awful lot of it felt very derivative of Hymn Before Battle from the Aldenata series and, the author's politics were far more noticeable than I've seen in the past. Not sure if I'll read any further - if I do, it will be courtesy of the library and is not something that I feel compelled to rush right out to locate.

Next up Dangerous Women edited by George RR Martin and Gardner DeZois. Trying to decide if I'm going to just jump right to the Martin piece or if I'm going to follow tradition and take each story as it comes in sequence. The book has a nice list of authors, though there are a few that I'm less than interested in - I really have little to no interest in Gabaldon's offering from the Outlander books and since urban fantasy is really not a favored genre, I'm not terribly excited for the Butcher's foray.
  • Options
    hauberk said:

I wrapped up Into the Looking Glass by John Ringo. I must qualify that I've quite enjoyed what I've previously read from Ringo (the extended series of Aldenata books and the Empire of Man books (March Upcountry, etc). As the first foray into a new series, an awful lot of it felt very derivative of Hymn Before Battle from the Aldenata series and, the author's politics were far more noticeable than I've seen in the past. Not sure if I'll read any further - if I do, it will be courtesy of the library and is not something that I feel compelled to rush right out to locate.

There's a meme for that.

Oh John Ringo, No.
  • Options
    hauberk said:

since urban fantasy is really not a favored genre, I'm not terribly excited for the Butcher's foray.

Blasphemy!
  • Options
    WetRats said:

hauberk said:

There's a meme for that.

Oh John Ringo, No.
    Isn't that more about his Paladin of Shadows books (I've not read any of them, but I have heard all about them)? In all honesty, I quite enjoyed the Aldenata books - they still played a bit off of the testosterone-laden macho BS survivalist books, but had all of the right beats and very few of the more icky ones (see Paladin of Shadows above). In particular, Watch on the Rhine was, to me a fascinating concept that really played an interesting game between morality and the desperate need to preserve the species (the series uses several key pieces of alien tech to help humanity mobilize against and voracious alien menace, one of which is rejuvenation of elderly war veterans. Most of the books focus on US service personnel but Watch looks at Europe and a situation desperate enough that they tap into the surviving members of the Waffen SS.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

hauberk said:

since urban fantasy is really not a favored genre, I'm not terribly excited for the Butcher's foray.

Blasphemy!
    I knew that wouldn't be terribly popular, but it's truth. The only Glenn Cook series that I've bounced on was his Garrett P.I. books.
  • Options
    hauberk said:

WetRats said:

hauberk said:

There's a meme for that.

Oh John Ringo, No.
    Isn't that more about his Paladin of Shadows books (I've not read any of them, but I have heard all about them)? In all honesty, I quite enjoyed the Aldenata books - they still played a bit off of the testosterone-laden macho BS survivalist books, but had all of the right beats and very few of the more icky ones (see Paladin of Shadows above). In particular, Watch on the Rhine was, to me a fascinating concept that really played an interesting game between morality and the desperate need to preserve the species (the series uses several key pieces of alien tech to help humanity mobilize against and voracious alien menace, one of which is rejuvenation of elderly war veterans. Most of the books focus on US service personnel but Watch looks at Europe and a situation desperate enough that they tap into the surviving members of the Waffen SS.
    I, too enjoyed the Aldenata series, especially the earlier ones.

Watch on the Rhine was good overall, but the Franco-bashing was really heavy-handed. By my reckoning, today's Germans are far more pacifistic than today's French.

• Options
    hauberk said:

WetRats said:

hauberk said:

Blasphemy!
    I knew that wouldn't be terribly popular, but it's truth. The only Glenn Cook series that I've bounced on was his Garrett P.I. books.
    I thought you were talking about Jim Butcher.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

hauberk said:

WetRats said:

hauberk said:

Blasphemy!
    I thought you were talking about Jim Butcher.
    I was. My point being that Cook, one of my favorites, can't pull me into urban fantasy. Butcher may pull a rabbit out of his hat, but I'm not favorably disposed genre-wise.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

hauberk said:

WetRats said:

hauberk said:

There's a meme for that.

Oh John Ringo, No.
    I, too enjoyed the Aldenata series, especially the earlier ones.

Watch on the Rhine was good overall, but the Franco-bashing was really heavy-handed. By my reckoning, today's Germans are far more pacifistic than today's French.

It's been a few years so I must have forgotten about the Franco-bashing. Otherwise, agreed. I think that's part of what made the decision to rejuv all the more dramatic.

On the flip side of Rhine, Yelloweyes, was far more blatant in its politics to the point where it really stands out. I tend to attribute that to the co-author - Tom Kratman.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    It's been awhile but I am revisiting Harry Potter starting with Sorcerer's Stone
  • Options
    DAR said:

It's been awhile but I am revisiting Harry Potter starting with Sorcerer's Stone

That first chapter is so great, especially knowing everything to come.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    WetRats said:

DAR said:

That first chapter is so great, especially knowing everything to come.
    Yeah, despite some of her flaws as a writer, that first chapter really sucks you into to the story. It has a very fairy-tale quality to it. World building is definitely her strength.
  • Options
    Reading Bull River, the second post-Robert B. Parker Cole & Hitch novel by Robert Knott.

Knott also wrote the screenplay to Appaloosa, and he nails the characters.

Both this book and Ironhorse have a more cinematic pace than the Parker novels, and I've decided that I like that. The other post-Parker authors, especially Ace Whatshisface, have tried so hard to ape Parker's style, it feels artificial. Knott's short, efficient chapters evoke Parker's style, but he's telling the story his own way. He's taken ownership of the series.

• Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    JUst finished The Yard and liked it quite a bit 4 out of 5 stars. there is a sequel to it called The Black Country that i'll be keeping an eye out for that also features the Yard's Murder Squad. In the meantime I picked up another Alex Kava novel with the Maggie O'Dell character called At the Stroke of Madness
  • Options
    Took a break between stories in Dangerous Women as I had some work travel and it's a less than portable tome. For the trip, I picked up David Drake's Legions of Fire.

Drake is another one of my go-to authors. I'm pretty sure that I have a copy (hb/mmpb/tpb) of everything that he's released since about 1982 - in many cases, for nothing more than updated authors notes. Drake is, for me, one of the more fascinating people writing today. His life experiences and, in particular, the way in which he used his writing to express and overcome his Vietnam War experiences is incredible. Fortunately, he seems to have managed to work out most of his issues and, as an unfortunate result has turned largely away from the Hammer's Slammers books and is spending much more time writing quest fantasy with a substantial basis on ancient Greece and Rome.

His ability to write an action sequence is still there but he's become very formulaic with the books themselves - common party gets split up (sometimes individually, sometimes into smaller groups - vary by volume). Individual quests occur. Party gets back together and takes out the big bad. Along the way, at least one character ruminates over what they were, how everyone expects them to behave, what their limitation is or something similar. He's guilty of this to excess in the Lord of the Isles books and the internal ruminations occur quite frequently in the RCN novels as well - particularly with regard to Lady Mundy.

I will say, I was a bit surprised this time around. Drake's books are frequently violent but they typically eschew other adult themes and certainly, if they occur, it's typically glossed over. This book was noticeable in not following that trend. It wasn't necessarily excessive given the themes and events in the book, but it did jump out as being decidedly un-Drakeish.

Ultimately, I'm pleased that he's overcome whatever demons that he brought back with him from Vietnam - any time someone is able to become more healthy, mentally, or physically, I think that's a good thing. However, I feel like his writing has suffered for his improved mental and emotional health.

Or maybe, his success has finally afforded him the opportunity to write what he wants rather than simply writing more of what sells.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Now I'm onto the Chamber of Secrets.
  • Options
    Reading the third post-Parker Jesse Stone novel.

Not very good.

Michael Brandman has exaggerated Parker's short, efficient chapters to an absurd level.

Both of the alternating stories are bland.

I doubt I'll read amy more.

Only the Cole and Hitch books are pleasing me.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    I've never read jesse stone books how are they?
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

I've never read jesse stone books how are they?

The Parker ones are great.

Stone is a darker, more flawed character than Spenser.

They share a world, though, as does Sunny Randall. In fact, Jesse & Sunny cross over rather significantly.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    WetRats said:

The Parker ones are great.

Stone is a darker, more flawed character than Spenser.

They share a world, though, as does Sunny Randall. In fact, Jesse & Sunny cross over rather significantly.

Cool the only thing I knew about Jesse Stone was that my man Magnum PI played him in a bunch of tv movies (that I never watched).
  • Options
    The Selleck movies are pretty good (Parker loved them), although Jesse is much younger in the books.