Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Official Novel Thread -What Are You Reading?

Comments

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    edited April 2014
    I've also been listening to a bunch of the Dresden Files books on CD in anticipation of the next volume.

I would recommend that any of my fellow Dresden fans at least re-read the conversation between Harry and Nicodemus before the Aquarium Incident in Small Favor. I think it will become significant.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    another Spenser novel Mortal Stakes by Robert B. Parker. #4 in the series I think.
  • Options
    based partially on input from this thread i picked up a Cole and Hitch book called Resolution by Robert B. Parker and on my own inititative Crow Bait by Robert J. Randisi. I know Randisi from some of his crime thriller stuff and like him a lot.
  • Options
    random73 said:

based partially on input from this thread i picked up a Cole and Hitch book called Resolution by Robert B. Parker and on my own inititative Crow Bait by Robert J. Randisi. I know Randisi from some of his crime thriller stuff and like him a lot.

If at all possible, I recommend reading the Cole & Hitch books in order.

Resolution
    is the second.

If you've seen the film of Appaloosa, then go ahead, otherwise wait. It's worth it.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Finished Approaching Oblivion by Harlan Ellison the other night. Then started Island by Richard Laymon.

The Ellison collection was great. So far the Laymon novel is interesting. You are reading the journal of a man shipwrecked on an island with his girlfriend's family. And some one is killing them one by one.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

random73 said:

Resolution
    is the second.

If you've seen the film of Appaloosa, then go ahead, otherwise wait. It's worth it.
    i saw Appaloosa once but I couldn't tell you anything about it. Ed Harris and Vigo Mortensten right? I tried to see if it was on Netflix last night (it wasn't) and i finished up watching Silvarado for the first time. It was still a pretty good evening.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    I'm reading Divergent. It's actually better than I thought.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

random73 said:

Resolution
    is the second.

Okay I bought the kindle version of Appaloosa I'll start at the beginning. I finished Mortal Stakes by the way and after a slow start it finished up being one of my favorite Spenser books yet.
  • Options
    random73 said:

WetRats said:

random73 said:

Resolution
    is the second.

Okay I bought the kindle version of Appaloosa I'll start at the beginning. I finished Mortal Stakes by the way and after a slow start it finished up being one of my favorite Spenser books yet.
    Cool.

Trying to remember which one Mortal Stakes was. (Google break) Ah. Yes. One of the best indeed.
  • Options
    Baseball book. Spenser's moral code comes into conflict with itself and he has a hard time dealing with that.
  • Options
    random73 said:

Baseball book. Spenser's moral code comes into conflict with itself and he has a hard time dealing with that.

Yep.

Really defines the character.

Makes the events of A Catskill Eagle that much more intense.
  • Options
    DAR said:

I'm reading Divergent. It's actually better than I thought.

I am tempted to read it now. Saw the film earlier this month and was very surprised with how good it was.

• Options
    I think after I finish the book I am reading, I will finally read the novelization of Existenz. Heard it is based on a very early draft of the film script.
  • Options
    @wetrats, I'm about halfway through Appaloosa and it is a treat. Almost like a more primitive Spenser and Hawk completely untouched by social convention. I located a copy of the movie and the dialogue is almost spot on. Whole sections lifted directed directly from the book. I really appreciate that level of faithfulness, especially when the source material is so good to begin with.
  • Options
    SteevenSteeven Posts: 215
    random73 said:

@wetrats, I'm about halfway through Appaloosa and it is a treat. Almost like a more primitive Spenser and Hawk completely untouched by social convention. I located a copy of the movie and the dialogue is almost spot on. Whole sections lifted directed directly from the book. I really appreciate that level of faithfulness, especially when the source material is so good to begin with.

I'm a big fan of all the Cole and Hitch books. I'm always on the lookout for other good westerns if anyone has any suggestions.

• Options
    Steeven said:

random73 said:

I'm a big fan of all the Cole and Hitch books. I'm always on the lookout for other good westerns if anyone has any suggestions.
    I presume you've read all of Elmore Leonard's westerns?
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Steeven said:

random73 said:

I presume you've read all of Elmore Leonard's westerns?
    Nope. Heading to my library's website now.

• Options
    I just reserved The Complete Western Stories of Elmore Leonard at my library
  • Options
    Steeven said:

I just reserved The Complete Western Stories of Elmore Leonard at my library

I envy you still having them to read for the first time.
  • Options
    demonbeardemonbear Posts: 159
    edited April 2014
    Been a while since I've read good sci-fi, so I hope my friend David Ramirez's The Forever Watch IS ;)
  • Options
    Just picked up Nothing to Lose - The Making of KISS 1972-1975 by Ken Sharp and Ace Frehley No Regrets a Rock-n-Roll Memoir from the library.
  • Options
    Finished Brimstone and about half through Blue-eyed devil. Damn Allie. I can't stand that broad.
  • Options
    random73 said:

Finished Brimstone and about half through Blue-eyed devil. Damn Allie. I can't stand that broad.

She is the worst.

Perfectly cast in the film, too.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

random73 said:

She is the worst.

So I think Blue-Eyed Devil Is the last book written by Parker himself. Is that right? How does the other guy do?
  • Options
    random73 said:

WetRats said:

random73 said:

She is the worst.

So I think Blue-Eyed Devil Is the last book written by Parker himself. Is that right? How does the other guy do?
    Very well. The best of the post-Parkers, I think.

The author was the screenwriter for the film, and really gets the interplay of Cole & Hitch. He doesn't try to ape Parker's style, either, which helps.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

random73 said:

WetRats said:

random73 said:

She is the worst.

The author was the screenwriter for the film, and really gets the interplay of Cole & Hitch. He doesn't try to ape Parker's style, either, which helps.
    park of what i like os Parker's shockingly matter of fact style. I agree John gregory Bettancourt can't be Roger Zelazny and John Gardner can't be Ian Fleming but I would hope the tone for the post Parker book would be at least somewhat similar. Who am i kidding? I'll certainly give it a go.
  • Options
    random73 said:

WetRats said:

random73 said:

WetRats said:

random73 said:

She is the worst.

park of what i like os Parker's shockingly matter of fact style. I agree John gregory Bettancourt can't be Roger Zelazny and John Gardner can't be Ian Fleming but I would hope the tone for the post Parker book would be at least somewhat similar. Who am i kidding? I'll certainly give it a go.
    It's a very compatible style, just not as slavish as the Spenser and Jesse Stone continuations.

My favorite Cole Hitch exchange, as they're both lying on the ground, wounded, after a gunfight.

Hitch: "That was fast"

Cole: "Everybody could shoot."
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Just wrapped up the first two books of Branden Sanderson's Stormlight Archives - The Way of Kings and Words of Radiance. I'm really digging this series. Not really sure how to describe it other than as post-apocalyptic fantasy fiction. Pretty cool world building, an intriguing magic system (as Sanderson seems to do in each of his series) and some pretty ridiculously cool action sequences.
  • Options
    hauberk said:

Just wrapped up the first two books of Branden Sanderson's Stormlight Archives - The Way of Kings and Words of Radiance. I'm really digging this series. Not really sure how to describe it other than as post-apocalyptic fantasy fiction. Pretty cool world building, an intriguing magic system (as Sanderson seems to do in each of his series) and some pretty ridiculously cool action sequences.

just about finished w/The Way of Kings.. umm I am really frustrated at how long Sanderson is taking to actually do anything. The entire 3/4 (front part) is entirely all set up and really too much exposition.. Even I could tell by the third chapter heading the words uttered before death MEANT something. Where's the payoff?

I am sticking with it for now. Please tell me Words of Radiance picks up the pace?

I guess I am just not happy w/Sanderson and his style of writing. At least Stephen Erikson knows how to keep his books lively..
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    I've enjoyed Sanderson and Erikson both quite a bit. Erikson may edge Sanderson out a bit but he's had some stinkers as well.

I can't say that I really noticed the first book being slow but I tend to try to reverse engineer the magic systems in books so that may have diverted me.