Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Pro or Anti Slabbing? Your thoughts on Certified Guaranty Company (CGC)

Interesting article below which got me thinking. Are CGS geeks for or against slabbing comics?

I suppose your response depends on whether comic collecting is a hobby, a passion, or a career to you. Frankly, I think comics were meant to be read. Adding a $20+ fee to a book just for the process and then ensuring it will never be read is a bit distasteful to me.

Derf launches ‘one-man crusade’ against CGC grading, slabbing
Derf, who has been reading comics since the mid-1970s, covers the growth of the secondhand comics market and the rise of collectability through the Overstreet Price Guide and now through CGC. Because of this severe leaning toward collectability limiting the readability of comics, the cartoonist has started what he calls a “one-man crusade against slabbing” by buying CGC books and “then free[ing] them from their plastic coffins.”

Comments

• Options
    kfreemankfreeman Posts: 314
    I'm only pro-slabbing, for the most part, if it is an expensive book that you want to sell. It provides a standard that everyone can use in regards to condition, so takes doubt out of the mix. If you have no intention of getting rid of a book, I am all for keeping it exactly the way that it is.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    I'd slab a valuable Golden or Silver-Age book in a heartbeat.

It's like putting it in a time capsule.

A time capsule wrapped in bearer's bonds.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    When I browse eBay I'm amazed at what books get slabbed.
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

When I browse eBay I'm amazed at what books get slabbed.

Oh yeah. Slabbing a non-remarkable book less than 50 years old seems ridiculous.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Not a fan of slabbing for any reason. I would rather a book fall apart and still be able to look through those aged pages if I want to.
  • Options
    I would ONLY slab if I had the comic reprinted in some other format (trade, omnibus, etc.). For instance, I have the first volume of the silver age Green Lantern omnibus. If I were to go through my boxes and find issues reprinted in that volume, I would slab them.

Although I would probably scan every page into the computer first so I can even see the advertisements and letters pages if I were ever curious...
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

I would ONLY slab if I had the comic reprinted in some other format (trade, omnibus, etc.). For instance, I have the first volume of the silver age Green Lantern omnibus. If I were to go through my boxes and find issues reprinted in that volume, I would slab them.

Although I would probably scan every page into the computer first so I can even see the advertisements and letters pages if I were ever curious...

This is my attitude as well. If I have it to read elsewhere and it is old and remarkble, why not?
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    edited January 2014
    Slabbing goes against my whole view of comics. I'm all for keeping comics in pristine condition, but only so they last longer and can be enjoyed in the future. Slabbing just feels greedy and closes the door on anyone ever loving that book again.

I still believe that comics should be bought and sold. If a book is rare or in high demand, it should list at a higher market value. But Slabbing takes the love out of the industry and turns it into a purely financial transaction. You might as well trade stocks.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    the concept of slabbing comics sounds too foreign to me to even care :D
  • Options
    Hex said:

Slabbing goes against my whole view of comics. I'm all for keeping comics in pristine condition, but only so they last longer and can be enjoyed in the future. Slabbing just feels greedy and closes the door on anyone ever loving at that book again.

How does it do so?

Books can be unslabbed.

Like I said above, it's a time capsule.
  • Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407

I suppose your response depends on whether comic collecting is a hobby, a passion, or a career to you.

Comics can be all of those things to the same person. I will buy tattered reader copies of FF issues so I can read them to my kids, but if you give me a FF #1 in superior condition I'll slab it in a minute.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

How does it do so?

Books can be unslabbed.

I can't imagine anyone who would spend money on a slabbed book would ever crack the seal. "Unslabbing" an issue pretty much negates the whole reason for slabbing it in the first place. Opening it up automatically depreciates the investment. And investing is the only reason I can see someone slabbing.

Slabbing feels like a Gollum move to me. "Mine"!
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    I don't imagine ever buying something slabbed, or buying something to slab it. But I also don't have a problem with it. Just as there are markets for first editions of old books that no one will ever actually read again, I think old comics can be kept and traded as antique objects.

If there were a comic slabbed away that was somehow not available to be read another way, the it would be different. But likely every comic that gets slabbed is still very available.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    I completely understand the fascination with slabbing. I really do. A friend of mine buys comics, slabs the ones he thinks are worth the effort, and then resells them. He doesn't do it for a living or anything, but he makes some extra spending money.

Personally, I will never slab a comic. (I don't even bag my comics unless they're Silver Age or earlier. Though for a while I was bagging a complete story arc in one bag to make it easier for me to reread them—I use the Silver Age or Golden Age bags for that.) And I will never buy a comic that has been slabbed unless I'm getting an extraordinary deal on it.

I talked about this on another thread a few months back. It's not that hard to learn how to grade a comic. Anyone who buys back issues on a regular basis (unless they're only buying from the dollar boxes) owes it to themselves to at least learn the basics. I realize that only really helps you when you’re buying at a shop or a convention. If you're buying online, you’re trusting the judgement of the seller. But if you're careful of who you buy from, you'll rarely run into problems.

As for the time capsule aspect, if you're displaying it on a shelf, yeah, slabbing might be a good option. Not the way I'd go, but it might work for others. But the comic is still going to age. It's still going to discolor over time. Slabbing isn't going to stop that.

But it all boils down to this: a comic is only worth what someone—anyone—will pay for it. And just because you pay $50 for a slabbed comic, it doesn’t mean the next guy will. Buy what you like; buy things you can enjoy. If you get pleasure out of a stack of slabbed comics, who am I to say you’re an idiot.
  • Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    I think it's entirely reasonable to slab a comic that's a sure-fire collectors' item in the true sense of the word.

But then I see CGC'd copies of random Big Two comics from the last 5-10 years and I think "Who the heck could possibly care about that? It's a copy of some nondescript issue or a common Marvel series, which doesn't even sell for cover price as a back issue. And yet here's a 9.7 slabbed copy that someone's trying to sell for $40."

I've thought about slabbing some of my more valuable comics (I don't have anything in the $1000+ range, but I have over a dozen $100+ comics), but then I started looking into what it takes to get something CGC'd . . . and for me, right now, it isn't worth it.

If I had VF+ copies of Silver Age keys, or F+ copies of Golden Age comics, I might slab them and keep them on hand. But as it is, I don't really think that going through the process, spending the money and waiting, is really worth it. I feel like it'd only be worth it if I wanted to sell the comics and was sure that slabbing them would add enough to the price to make the CGC transaction worth it. As of right now, I'm nowhere near that head-space. Maybe if/when the Sandman movie comes out, I could POSSIBLY see myself getting my Sandman #1 slabbed so I could sell it on the peak of a speculator bubble. But as it is, I'd rather just have my good ol' sentimental copy of Sandman #1 bagged and boarded.

And as far as BUYING CGC comics would go, I'm just not interested in it at all. It's rare enough for me to go out of my way to spend $10 or more on a back issue. No way would I want to buy anything with the added CGC prices.

• Options
    Hex said:

WetRats said:

How does it do so?

Books can be unslabbed.

I can't imagine anyone who would spend money on a slabbed book would ever crack the seal. "Unslabbing" an issue pretty much negates the whole reason for slabbing it in the first place. Opening it up automatically depreciates the investment. And investing is the only reason I can see someone slabbing.

Slabbing feels like a Gollum move to me. "Mine"!
    There are quite a few old Atlas and Timely books that people have "unslabbed" in order to get at the comic. Dr. Vassalero (sp) who writes in tons of the Atlas Masterworks has been unslabbing old Atlas and Timely books in order to read them since the early 90's.

Me? If I had a comic worth more than $100, I'd slab it in a heartbeat, simply because if it is worth that much it's a collectable and not for "reading".

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    edited January 2014
    I have a question. Let's say I have a 1st Edition Squadron Supreme tpb (Gruenwalds ashes in the ink) that has never been read. Is there a way to protect it?
  • Options

There are quite a few old Atlas and Timely books that people have "unslabbed" in order to get at the comic. Dr. Vassalero (sp) who writes in tons of the Atlas Masterworks has been unslabbing old Atlas and Timely books in order to read them since the early 90's.

Me? If I had a comic worth more than $100, I'd slab it in a heartbeat, simply because if it is worth that much it's a collectable and not for "reading".

Dr. Vassalero (sp) sounds like my kinda guy!

Also... don't get me wrong, if I stumbled across some juicy vintage books worth fat cash, I would probably look into getting them slabbed. But I don't collect for the "Big Money", so I have a hard time looking at the hobby from that point of view. I don't begrudge someone who is into that type of collecting, but I wish the practice had never originated in the first place.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

I have a question. Let's say I have a 1st Edition Squadron Supreme tpb (Gruenwalds ashes in the ink) that has never been read. Is there a way to protect it?

Shouldn't you bury it?

I KEED, I KEED!

• Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I think I have exactly one slabbed book and that was only because I bought it that way. I'm not a fan of it personally, but I can see where people can enjoy it, so I don't begrudge it. And to be honest, it is kind of a good thing to have an organization willing to set a standard for what is Mint, VF, Fine, etc. as long as everyone is willing to recognize them as such.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    I

Shouldn't you bury it?

I KEED, I KEED!

It would be a collectible treasure with a headstone.
  • Options
    Even prior to CGC slabbing, I'm sure collectors were treating super-rare comics with kid gloves, placing them in specialized packaging and not flipping through the pages very often, or at all.

I see a slabbed comic as similar to a Babe Ruth-autographed baseball that is encased in glass. You do want to preserve history as much as possible.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    RickM said:

Even prior to CGC slabbing, I'm sure collectors were treating super-rare comics with kid gloves, placing them in specialized packaging and not flipping through the pages very often, or at all.

I see a slabbed comic as similar to a Babe Ruth-autographed baseball that is encased in glass. You do want to preserve history as much as possible.

Yeah, I can understand a Ruth ball in a case. Unfortunately many slabbed comics are the equivalent of a cased Mario Mendoza ball.

• Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    WetRats said:

I'd slab a valuable Golden or Silver-Age book in a heartbeat.

It's like putting it in a time capsule.

A time capsule wrapped in bearer's bonds.

I feel it's insane not to protect a Golden Age book. It doesn't necessarily have to be slabbing, but in this case, I'm for it.

• Options
    RickM said:

Cards are a different beast. There are only two sides to a sports card. Put it in glass and you can basically still enjoy the artwork. Not the same with a comic. Aside from the poster cover art, most of the goodness of a comic is hidden away on the pages inside. The majority of which are sealed away forever once it is slabbed.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Hex said:

RickM said:

Cards are a different beast. There are only two sides to a sports card. Put it in glass and you can basically still enjoy the artwork. Not the same with a comic. Aside from the poster cover art, most of the goodness of a comic is hidden away on the pages inside. The majority of which are sealed away forever once it is slabbed.
    Again. "forever" is just not accurate.

Slabs aren't made of transparent adamantium.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Ha! transparent adamantium would be awesome.
    I'm not saying Slabs "can't" be opened... just that most "won't".
  • Options
    Hex said:

WetRats said:

Ha! transparent adamantium would be awesome.
    I'm not saying Slabs "can't" be opened... just that most "won't".
    And that's fine.

But if someone wants what's inside, it's still there. And WILL still be there until it's wanted.
  • Options
    I'll never slab anything. But I'm not a collector, I'm strictly a reader. For people who do collect I think its great that there is someone out there who sets a standard for books to be judged. It makes the market just a little less subjective. I think that if it's something your proud to have, and its preservation and/or monetary value is important to you then slab away.

I think its crazy that we judge others for how they enjoy comics as a hobby. For me it's soley about content. Reprint, original, it doesn't matter. But if someone wanted to slab OMAC #1 from the New 52 launch, and doing so brings them some kind of enjoyment, let them. Plus if you are a collector with an interest in future value it doesn't hurt to have an appraisal.
  • Options
    Hex said:

RickM said:

If I own the nicest copy of Action 1 and slab it, it's not sealed away forever. There are many reprints available for anyone who wants to enjoy that story.