Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Jamie

I'm very sorry to share, for those that have not yet heard, that Jamie has passed away.

My heart goes out to his family, friends, and virtual family around the world.

Thanks for everything, Jamie.

Comments

• Options
    TrustyMutsiTrustyMutsi Posts: 161
    Jamie, you gave me what is still one of the highest compliments to my art (compared me to Kyle Baker), and always got sketches from my daughter at Supershow. Last fun memory we had together was hiding Michael Yanulavich's beer from him at Buca De Bepo's. I am gutted that you've moved on from this world. Rest in peace Jamie. You'll be missed so much.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I never had the pleasure of meeting Jamie but it is obvious he was a great friend, son, brother, and uncle. I regret that I'll never be able to thank him in person for all the joy he has brought me through his time spent on CGS. Rest well, Jamie, you earned it.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    What sad news.

I know everyone is at least thankful that he's no longer in pain. Jamie gave me so many laughs and infotainment, yet I never even met the man. This is a sad day for CGS and comicbook fandom at large. I expect Jamie had far more impact on the lives of a myriad of comic fans than he ever imagined; I pray Jamie understands that now that he's moved to the next level in the hereafter.

Long live Jamie D, may he rest in peace.
  • Options
    RIP Jamie D.

I've heard his voice since the beginning of the podcast. This really hurts.
  • Options
    HappenstanceHappenstance Posts: 113
    Really terrible news. Jamie gave me hours of entertainment through CGS and I will miss being able to listen to him chat about comics. :(

RIP Jamie.
  • Options
    CageNarleighCageNarleigh Posts: 729
    Jamie D and I had a conversation at SuperShow 2011. He had stopped by the booth of an individual who had a table set up to the right (and in front of) of the LanternCast table. For the life of me I can't remember the individuals name whom had his art at the table and I don't remember specifically what we talked about. I wish I could. But I DO remember the conversation being jovial and full of ribbing (as much as one could rib one another given passing familiarity)

But Jamie was one of the geeks that I really wanted to speak with, so I took it when I saw my chance.

Every time I go to a con, Jamie's voice echos in my head regarding thanking the creators when you see them. It's one of the reasons I got into comics history and podcasting and get so giddy when I get a chance to interview classic creators.

Jamie will be sorely missed and I wish all of the best to his family and friends. Anything we can do for the family, please let us know.
  • Options
    AprecheApreche Posts: 7
    Jamie D will always live on through the thousands of hours of podcasts. Even those not fortunate enough to know him in while he lived can experience at least some of the joy it was to know such a wonderful person.

RIP Jamie.
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    I don't know what to say, very saddened by this, I pray for comfort for his family and friends. Rest in Peace Jamie
  • Options
    Rest in peace Jeremy :-( :-( :-(
  • Options
    tommysheroestommysheroes Posts: 174
    Wow, shocking news, I thought he was doing better. I have been hearing that voice in my ears for 8 years, cant believe it's gone. These words always help me comfort me when people pass:

"Do not stand at my grave and weep, I am not there, I do not sleep...Do not stand and my grave and cry, I am not there, I did not die."

Rest easy D.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    edited May 2014
    It's crazy how in today's internet driven world that you can develop a genuine friendship without ever physically meeting a person. I can only hope to be a sliver of a fraction of the ambassador to this hobby that Jamie was.

God bless you Jamie. My stength goes out to your family and friends. The halls of Valhalla shall thunder and quake in song today.
  • Options
    luckymustardluckymustard Posts: 927
    I'm too sad to say much.

I continue to pray for Jamie and his family, and definitely his friends THE Geeks and all of the listeners/fans.
  • Options
    mrfusionmrfusion Posts: 186
    I'm gonna miss the big guy.... :(
  • Options
    My thoughts are with all the Geeks... and their families..

Jamie D, for me you have always been the Obi Kenobi to the group. May you be stronger in death than in life. You shall be missed..
  • Options
    the1captainthe1captain Posts: 20
    I had the opportunity to meet Jamie at fanexpo in Toronto last summer. Great guy. Condolences to all.
  • Options
    This is sad news. Words fail me. Rest in peace my friend.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Posted this today on my fb:

The world lost one of the good ones today. Jamie Dallessandro was co-host of the podcast Comic Geek Speak and a lifelong lover of comics. Though we never met in person, I felt I had met a kindred soul just listening to him - we apparently read and loved many of the same books and held the same general opinions about what comics meant to us. In that respect, I feel I've lost a friend today.

Jamie fought as valiantly has anyone could against the cancer that finally claimed his life today. I don't talk much about my own diagnosis, because I have the kind of cancer you just kind of carry around like luggage. My fight is nothing like Jamie's was, but I felt a kinship with him in that regard as well. It was touching to see any entire community of people whose lives he touched rally around him in these final days. There is no doubt in anyone's mind he will be missed.

Read a comic book today. For most of us that isn't a herculean labor, I know, but *do* it. If you really care, donate to the American Cancer Society, or whatever organization you choose that will help whip this stupid thing in the ass.

Rest in Peace, Jamie. The world is truly going to be a different place without you in it.
  • Options
    little_witchlittle_witch Posts: 185
    Goodbye Jamie, thank you for so much.

My best memory of him was the massive hug I got when we first met at CGS 200. He was also so loving and kind to everyone.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    This is heartbreaking. We only met a couple of times in person, but I enjoyed our conversations on those few occasions and the many more times we spoke virtually, especially when we talked about really good kids comics. Jamie was a great guy, and I will miss him, especially the way he addressed so many people as "my friend." But it's nice to know that we can take some solace in the fact that there are hundreds upon hundreds of hours of his voice recorded for posterity and a visit with the Shiznit Pimp is never more than a download away.

Rest in Peace, Jamie, and farewell my friend.
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    So sorry to hear the news, but so glad that for his legacy to comics fandom, so glad I met him and was able to give him a gift to mark my respect for him.
    And so glad that he was in a hospice, that he was getting good care, that his family and friends were around, and that the CGS crew kept things upbeat. Thanks to the doctors and nurses and the whole CGS family for all they did for him.

If someone was able to set up a donation page in his name for the American cancer society, I would be happy to donate.

Be sad that he's gone but let's be happy that he lived.
  • Options
    Posted this on facebook earlier:
    This morning a man I respect, Jamie D, passed away. He was a co-host on the long-running podcast Comic Geek Speak, the podcast that introduced me to so many aspects of comics I never knew before and made me the geek I am today. I've listened to the show for two years and in that time, like with any sitcom or show, came to think of its hosts as my friends. I even got the chance to talk to him and the other hosts on a live show once, an experience I'll never forget.
    A year or two ago Jamie was diagnosed with cancer. Despite this he still went to conventions, still recorded podcasts, and still managed to keep up with the fans who loved him. He always would talk about his favorite team The Avengers with a passion I've never heard matched, that is unless he was talking about his favorite hero: Captain America. To all of us though Jamie was the real hero.
    So it's with tears in my eyes that I'm reminded that sometimes the good guys don't always win, but that doesn't mean we should stop fighting. We must continue on fighting, Avengers style, for the things and people we love in honor of those who've fallen. Goodbye Jamie D, you were a gentleman, a scholar, and above all else a "sexy bitch."
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 549
    I'm at a loss for words. My tears have run dry yet my heart still bleeds. Condolences to all his family and friends.

At least he's sitting at the table up there with the greats...we've all got a new guardian angel looking over us.

...Drunk Cap is going to be devestated.
    JayDecay said:

I was debating on if I wanted to say something in here to let the community know. I'm not a regular, and nobody here knows me. And so I wasnt sure it was my place. Jamie was a co-worker and a good friend. And we just got the news this morning.

Oddly enough, Jamie used to sell me comics when I was a kid. So when he joined the team at work, he looked very familiar - And eventually we figured out why. He's also solely responsible for me getting back into comics. I will miss his wit and sarcasm - we shared a similar warped sense of humor. He was fun to hang with, generous to a fault, and made work much more enjoyable.

My condolences to his family and friends. Rest in peace bud. You will be missed.

It doesn't matter if you're not a regular, if Jamie touched your life in anyway then this is a place you're welcomed.
    Gargoyle said:

Jamie is the man who taught me to thank the people whose work you love...and I'm so glad I was able to put that into practice with the man himself.

AMEN.

• Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Tomorrow at my table for FCBD I'm going to have a longbox of my own collection. I'll be giving one book away to anyone who stops by. Jamie was a collector, sure, but he was also a reader.
  • Options
    I am at a complete loss. Jamie's voice brought me many hours of joy over the years. He will be missed but he will ALWAYS be remembered!
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Wordless. I'm sad. He will be missed.