Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Jamie

Comments

• Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    I've just listened to the podcast, that's really got me choked up. I wanted to just say again my thoughts are with you geeks and Jamie's family in this tough time.

If there is a place to donate please let us know, I'd love to give something back. To keep in the spirit of free comic book day (or the soon to be 'Absent Geeks Day') I'd like to give the price of a comic book for each free one I pick up. Something I plan to do every year in thanks to Jamie and our fellow geeks who are no longer with us.
  • Options
    little_witchlittle_witch Posts: 185
    Listened to the podcast. Left a voicemail, sorry if I sound all teary.
  • Options
    SamirDaveSamirDave Posts: 21
    I never met Jamie, but from listening to him on the podcast, I realized that he was a kindred spirit and had a heart of gold. Rest in peace Jamie......you will be missed.
  • Options
    i_am_scifii_am_scifi Posts: 784
    edited May 2014
    Listening now. :(

And voicemail sent, by the way. We've got your guys' back.
  • Options
    little_witchlittle_witch Posts: 185
    edited May 2014
    It's kind of nice to see all the CGS shirt pictures of Jamie being used as profile pics on facebook. All I see are smiling Jamies
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    luke52 said:

I'm so sad reading this. But I love the fact that this has impacted so many people. It's shows how much of a positive impact he's had on people in his far too short a life. I think he'd be real happy about that.

Rest in peace Jamie. You'll be missed.

@WetRats‌ I think that's a great idea.

Original idea was Tony Hazell's
  • Options
    BondoBondo Posts: 57
    edited May 2014
    I've been in tears all afternoon trying to get myself together to say something here. And as soon as I heard Pants' voice I broke down again.

Mr D you have been the greatest ambassador to comics of anyone I've ever seen. I never met you, but for years and years you had a great impact on so many of our lives and brought us countless laughs. You made a 'Cap fan out of me with Jamie's Essentials, made me cry with laughter when you would chew out artists whose work you couldn't stand, and made us all feel like we can be a little stronger with your war on cancer.

I can't really go on like this without sounding like a schmuck and hearing you say "Hey shut the hell up already" in the back of my head.

I miss you buddy. And I'm giving a big hug to all of us here.
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Posts: 308
    I was holding it together until I heard Brian begin the podcast, my deepest sympathies to his family and friends.

I was lucky enough to meet Jamie when he came over for the first London Super Con, I'll miss his hearing his passion for comics, both good and bad.

I've been dreading coming onto the forum these last few days, praying that I wouldn't see this particular thread appear, but seeing everyone's comments makes me realise that even though the majority of us couldn't be there in person, we were all with him in spirit.
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    I was in my doctor's waiting room when I read the news. It was all I could muster to keep my shit together.
  • Options
    kgforcekgforce Posts: 326
    Very sorry to hear this. Deepest condolences to his family and the CGS team.
  • Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    I've been listening to the show for about 5-6 years. I've enjoyed every word Jamie uttered, because he knew his stuff and was just a decent guy and had great insights. I was always mildly bummed out when the show did not have Jamie on it, because as good as the other guys are, they weren't quite him. Maybe its because we're close in age or something. I never got to meet him but I will miss him terribly.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803

It's kind of nice to see all the CGS shirt pictures of Jamie being used as profile pics on facebook. All I see are smiling Jamies

Agreed. Seeing all of those reminded me of the artwork Katie Cook did for the 2011 Supershow. They laser etched it into a comic cube to give away. Found the image online after some digging and cropped and sharpened it up. Feel free to use it. Its the image I always think of everytime I saw a comic rendition of Jamie and I think Katie personified him greatly.

I have never seen this before! Already made it my Facebook profile picture. Thanks for sharing this, @CageNarleigh‌.
  • Options
    JohnDavidJohnDavid Posts: 1
    Like so many others, I never got the chance to meet Jamie, but I feel like I have lost a close friend.

I remember when I was just getting to know CGS, I listened to the episode where the boys did their tribute to Lem after his sudden passing. I can still hear & feel the emotion in Jamie's voice particularly when he talked about his late boss & friend. It was very moving, so much so that it brought me to tears.

Now I find myself going through these same emotions for Jamie & it hurts so very much.

I've been sitting at home all day, simply stunned by the news. Words are so inadequate to convey how I feel.

To Jamie's family & friends, I want to say I hope you all draw strength from one another & remember how much you all meant to him.

Farewell Jamie.

Rest well my friend, truly now at peace!

• Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    I said it on twitter and I'll say it here.

Damn.

Jamie was a geek after our own heart, and I think many of us liked him even if we never met him because we saw so much of ourselves in his passion, his laugh and how he just LOVED the same stuff we did.

Threads like these are for us, the living, to remember and share stories about those who have left us, and I am glad there are SO many stories about Jamie D. He was a great guy, and the world is a little dimmer with him gone. I am happy he left knowing how much we loved him, but heartbroken that he did leave us.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946

Agreed. Seeing all of those reminded me of the artwork Katie Cook did for the 2011 Supershow. They laser etched it into a comic cube to give away. Found the image online after some digging and cropped and sharpened it up. Feel free to use it. Its the image I always think of everytime I saw a comic rendition of Jamie and I think Katie personified him greatly.

I have never seen this before! Already made it my Facebook profile picture. Thanks for sharing this, @CageNarleigh‌.
    I felt compelled to do the same.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Greg said:

I felt compelled to do the same.
    Facebook might as well be renamed JamieDBook today.
  • Options
    DrBravo2DrBravo2 Posts: 31
    I'm gutted.

Is there a charity or somewhere I could send money as a gesture? I feel like I should actually DO something.
  • Options
    FlagwaverFlagwaver Posts: 140
    I lost a great-uncle yesterday and when I saw the announcement on the front page about Jamie, all I could say was, "Damn." My great-uncle was 96 and it was his time but Jamie was taken from us way too soon. When the guys said that Jamie had been moved to a hospice, I was expecting the worst because I've had a grandmother and an uncle (in the same year) go through that. I was hopeful when it seemed Jamie was in good spirits, so todays announcement was devastating. I've only met Jamie twice in person but, after thousands of hours of listening to him, it feels like I've lost a close friend. My condolences and prayers go out to Jamie's family and to the CGSers. R.I.P. Jamie D, you will be greatly missed.
  • Options
    My day has been darkened by this horrible news.

R.I.P. JamieD I miss you and love ya!

• Options
    truly tragic news
  • Options
    bats00bats00 Posts: 275
    I'm going to miss hearing his voice. It was one of the first ones on the show I was able to distinguish. I'm not sure what Jamie believe in, but whatever reward he believed came after this life, I know he got it. RIP.

@cageNarleigh- Thanks for posting that pic. It's my new Facebook profile as well.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820

I was in my doctor's waiting room when I read the news. It was all I could muster to keep my shit together.

I read the post just a few minutes before I take lunch. There's never a good time to read something like that, but I was thankful I had that time to get myself together.

• Options
    I am so sorry to hear about Jamie. My heart, thoughts, and prayers go out to all of his friends and family. He will be truly missed.
  • Options
    The_JPThe_JP Posts: 33
    I am not on Facebook and don't follow my twitter feed ... I just got an email from Lenny mid day today about Jamie. I am in shock, I just saw him 3 weeks ago for the Captain America 2 movie review ... in some ways I am glad I got a chance to see him in person and exchange some comic thoughts, but in other ways I wish I would of shook his hand before I left.

My thoughts and prayers go out to Jamie's family and the geeks ... I would like to think he is in a better place now, pain free and reading comics galore.

I grew up in Reading PA and have brought a number of comics from golden eagle and from Jamie in person. I always enjoyed our conversations about comics. Fast forward to the late 2008 I moved back to PA and have the get opportunity to interact with the Geeks (go to Supershow, call in and be on the show a few times). It was a really treat to talk to Jamie on all those occasions.

Every time Jamie would reference about the person who loved Quasar on the show, he was talking about me ... it was an in side joke we had and made me laugh.

Jamie you'll be missed,
    JP

• Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I'm so sorry to hear that. Got to meet him once at NYCC, and at a CGS dinner. Good dude.
  • Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    I just returned from the new Spider-Man film and saw the notice. I am so sorry for the whole CGS crew. I never met Jamie but always enjoyed his comments. I am glad he was able to contribute right on until the very end on the show.

If only death were as temporary as it is in superhero comics nowadays. I've always thought that one of the most appropriate comments on death was from the final scene in Our Town,,,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCLHkaHOO80