Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    I don't know why, exactly, but every time I see the title for this upcoming film, I'm more and more struck by how pretentious it sounds. I would have just simply called it "Superman & Batman" and left it at that... especially since most folks are going to call it that anyway. (As already noted above.)
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

I don't know why, exactly, but every time I see the title for this upcoming film, I'm more and more struck by how pretentious it sounds. I would have just simply called it "Superman & Batman" and left it at that... especially since most folks are going to call it that anyway. (As already noted above.)

Maybe this will establish the movie series in the future, with a slight alteration. Maybe Justice League will be: Batman & Superman: Justice League.

M

• Options
    luckymustardluckymustard Posts: 927
    We already know that DKR is being used as inspiration. Does anyone else think it's possible they'll pull, heavily(?), from the New 52 Justice League storyline? I'm playing with that possibility in my head somewhat because of what Kevin Smith most recently said about the 5-6 movies that will tell a big overall story, and that Cyborg is involved.
  • Options
    Paul said:

Matt said:

Paul said:

I find all the nerd rage about it amusing, considering that we're talking about the same people that refer to Star Wars as "A New Hope"

But, Star Wars is the name of the whole epic...

It also, apparently, irritates my wife that I type all four letters for 'okay' & reference 'iMessage' instead of texting for people with iPhones!

M

No. Star Wars BECAME the name of the whole epic. I saw that puppy in the theatre. It was called Star Wars. Nowhere on any of the posters did it reference A New Hope, including, as I remember, the novelization that came out with the release of the movie. It was YEARS before people were referring to it as A New Hope. Long after the rereleases in the late 90s, where it was still referred to as, you guessed it, Star Wars.

http://www.taringa.net/comunidades/cinescrupulos/7128307/Posters-vintage-y-no-tanto-de-Star-Wars.html
    I, too, saw the original "New Hope"-less Star Wars in the theaters. I have had MANY arguments with people who SWEAR the original print was called "A New Hope".

However, I believe, and may be wrong, the original (released with the movie) movie tie-in novel for Star Wars had the "A New Hope" subtitle on the title page (not on the covers, etc.). I will have to dig out my copy to verify.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Tonebone said:

However, I believe, and may be wrong, the original (released with the movie) movie tie-in novel for Star Wars had the "A New Hope" subtitle on the title page (not on the covers, etc.). I will have to dig out my copy to verify.

Nope, but it was "from the Adventures of Luke Skywalker"
  • Options
    "They were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Of course they became heroes." From the Journal of the Whills.
  • Options
    There are stirring rumors the Joker will be in this movie. I'm going to state this for the first time: if this holds true, my enthusiasm for this movie will have fallen further then it already was.

I'm not going to bash it, the actors, or director, just going to comment I've had low enthusiasm once the idea of the sequel was announced & haven't seen anything to lift it. I will still reserve final judgment for after I see the movie, which will be more then likely in the theatres. It'll just be AFTER I see Cap 3; which already seems to be more promising.

M
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited June 2014
    Matt said:

There are stirring rumors the Joker will be in this movie.

Basically because of this pic:

Not sure what it means but I'm hoping it isn't the Joker too. Maybe it'll be the Royal Flush Gang?

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    I have a feeling it's either an obvious reference to the Joker or simply a trial balloon to tweak the script they're working on. In my opinion, when it comes to their legacy properties in most media, "DC" and "original ideas" are very often mutually exclusive.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Tonebone said:

Nope, but it was "from the Adventures of Luke Skywalker"
    Yes! Thanks... I have no idea where my copy is... had it since I was 9.
  • Options

Actually, they are going to call it "Batman"... sorry Supes.
  • Options
    Batmobile teasted.

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited June 2014

Batmobile teasted.

What the hell is that?
  • Options

Batmobile teasted.

Please be false!

M
  • Options
    Whoops! That's from the Batman: Arkham Knight batmobile in battle mode. Sorry!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AykgIIWdPM
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Batmobile teasted.

What the hell is that?
    Frikkin' ridiculous.
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980

Whoops! That's from the Batman: Arkham Knight batmobile in battle mode. Sorry!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AykgIIWdPM

Whew. Thank geeky, teenaged Jesus. Because that looked awful.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Batmobile teasted.

What the hell is that?
    Frikkin' ridiculous.
    It'd just be another item added to the list!

M
  • Options
    I saw an episode of Hollywood Game Night with host Jane Lynch. They had to put photos of movie kisses in the correct timeline. One of them was the Han/Leia kiss from Empire.

The contestants called the photo "Star Wars." I know, I know "its easier to say then 'Empire Strikes Back'" when you only have 90 seconds. When Jane reviewed the timeline's correct order, she pointed to it and said:

"Star Wars: Episode 5."

Huge grin on my face!

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

I saw an episode of Hollywood Game Night with host Jane Lynch. They had to put photos of movie kisses in the correct timeline. One of them was the Han/Leia kiss from Empire.

The contestants called the photo "Star Wars." I know, I know "its easier to say then 'Empire Strikes Back'" when you only have 90 seconds. When Jane reviewed the timeline's correct order, she pointed to it and said:

"Star Wars: Episode 5."

Huge grin on my face!

M

Because you and Jane are the only two humans in the world who would call it that as opposed to Star Wars or The Empire Stikes Back?

:)
  • Options
    I'd call it both Star Wars &/or Empire, Empire Strikes Back. Just like Episode is A New Hope!

M
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    If I say "Star Wars", I mean the original film. I may refer to "The Star Wars movies", or the "Star Wars Roleplaying Game" or "Star Wars Collectibles", but "Star Wars" by itself, is, by God, Star Wars!

:-B
  • Options
    WetRats said:

If I say "Star Wars", I mean the original film. I may refer to "The Star Wars movies", or the "Star Wars Roleplaying Game" or "Star Wars Collectibles", but "Star Wars" by itself, is, by God, Star Wars!

EXACTLY, Star Wars by itself is Star Wars...with 6 released episodes & 3 more planned!

M
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I suppose for some people, "Star Wars" is just a brand, like Kellog's. Like the episodic elements of the saga, some suck, others don't... those of us that were alive when the movie first came out will have different perspective.

If someone asks if I've seen Star Wars or they say they've never seen Star Wars, or they say "Star Wars is my favorite movie of all time", or "the first film I ever saw in the theater was Star Wars", then I know they are referring to the debut science fiction film that most people have come to refer to as "Episode 4" or "A New Hope" or "the first one".

It wasn't always that way"

If you were unfortunate enough to have been subjected to experiencing the "Special Editions" as your first foray into the Star Wars universe, then you have been cheated of the pure joy of seeing a movie that had so much promise and majesty back in 1977, that has since been tinkered with and ultimately trashed by prequels that contained continuity failure after failure.

You cannot unsee what has been seen though, but for the purists that were alive to see Star Wars back in 1977, it will always be Star Wars and occasionally we may indulge others by referring to it as it has been retconned by Lucas & Co.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP_1T4ilm8M
    No "Episode IV" or "A New Hope" to be seen anywhere in this original trailer...
  • Options
    Matt said:

WetRats said:

EXACTLY, Star Wars by itself is Star Wars...with 6 released episodes & 3 more planned!

M
    No. Star Wars by itself is one movie, released in 1977, which I saw over 100 times in the theater.
  • Options

This seems so flat without the John Williams score.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

WetRats said:

M
    No. Star Wars by itself is one movie, released in 1977, which I saw over 100 times in the theater.
    Yeah, with 6 episodes so far!

M
  • Options
    Only 3 episodes as far as I'm concerned and a string of failed universe expansions... LOL
  • Options

Only 3 episodes as far as I'm concerned and a string of failed universe expansions... LOL

Booooo
  • Options
    luckymustardluckymustard Posts: 927

I suppose for some people, "Star Wars" is just a brand, like Kellog's. Like the episodic elements of the saga, some suck, others don't... those of us that were alive when the movie first came out will have different perspective.

If someone asks if I've seen Star Wars or they say they've never seen Star Wars, or they say "Star Wars is my favorite movie of all time", or "the first film I ever saw in the theater was Star Wars", then I know they are referring to the debut science fiction film that most people have come to refer to as "Episode 4" or "A New Hope" or "the first one".

It wasn't always that way"

If you were unfortunate enough to have been subjected to experiencing the "Special Editions" as your first foray into the Star Wars universe, then you have been cheated of the pure joy of seeing a movie that had so much promise and majesty back in 1977, that has since been tinkered with and ultimately trashed by prequels that contained continuity failure after failure.

You cannot unsee what has been seen though, but for the purists that were alive to see Star Wars back in 1977, it will always be Star Wars and occasionally we may indulge others by referring to it as it has been retconned by Lucas & Co.

2004 should read 1979.