Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Guardians of the Galaxy (Complete Movie Thread-- Now With Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    RickM said:

At the same time, I do think this movie is aimed at fluent comic readers to an almost absurd degree. I'm not conversant in Marvel Cosmic information, nor do I know the full background of Nova, the Kree, Thanos, etc., but the film gives virtually no exposition of who these people are and why they are important and how they link up. Give me a stack of the Thanos/Marvel Cosmic titles going all the way back to the mid-70s and then let me watch this movie again, and I swear I pick up many more references and enjoy the movie much more. And I guess that would be a criticism of the entire thing. Other properties (Jason Bourne, James Bond, etc.) don't require prior knowledge of their texts to nearly the same degree.

I don't think knowing all that stuff is necessary to anybody but dorks like us.

For everyone else, it's just flavor and rich atmosphere.
  • Options
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    WetRats said:

RickM said:

At the same time, I do think this movie is aimed at fluent comic readers to an almost absurd degree. I'm not conversant in Marvel Cosmic information, nor do I know the full background of Nova, the Kree, Thanos, etc., but the film gives virtually no exposition of who these people are and why they are important and how they link up. Give me a stack of the Thanos/Marvel Cosmic titles going all the way back to the mid-70s and then let me watch this movie again, and I swear I pick up many more references and enjoy the movie much more. And I guess that would be a criticism of the entire thing. Other properties (Jason Bourne, James Bond, etc.) don't require prior knowledge of their texts to nearly the same degree.

I second that-- I think for those of us that have only some knowledge of Marvel Cosmic (and I include myself in that), we can hear a bunch of familiar names of alien races, and see characters like Ronan that we know have a decades-long history, and maybe we can wonder if there is some deeper layer of reference that we aren't getting.

But I also think that someone completely new to all of this-- which will be the vast majority of the audience-- can come to this with no prior knowledge and just roll with it. For all they know, all these alien races were minted for this movie. And I don't think there is anything we don't find out about them in the film that leaves us wondering why the characters do what they do. I don't think they will worry about what they don't know, anymore then we watched Star Wars and wondered 'But what do I need to know about The Wookies in general to know what to think of this fun character in front of me? What was the Clone Wars?' You know what I mean? We rolled with it and watched the story and characters in front of us unfold. I think audiences for this can do the same. (Even if, in the case of Guardians, there are prior primary sources available)
  • Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    WetRats said:

RickM said:

Maybe. I just get the feeling that when I sit with my wife and we watch this on DVD, she'll be asking "What's Nova? Who are the Kree? What's the deal with Thanos? Why is his blue daughter so pissy? Who is Ronan -- a second bad guy?"

There are decades of Marveldom in this movie. In some places, you don't need to know all that back material; but in other places, you kinda do.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    RickM said:

WetRats said:

RickM said:

Maybe. I just get the feeling that when I sit with my wife and we watch this on DVD, she'll be asking "What's Nova? Who are the Kree? What's the deal with Thanos? Why is his blue daughter so pissy? Who is Ronan -- a second bad guy?"

There are decades of Marveldom in this movie. In some places, you don't need to know all that back material; but in other places, you kinda do.
    Maybe. Though some of the Marveldom is so different that, to me, it might as well have been new. As far as I knew in the comics, the Nova Corps were basically like the Green Lantern, they all flew and were super-powered, thanks to their helmets. But in this, they might as well have been the Old Republic. They seemed to be non-powered, shiny, orderly, space police with space ships and guns. Seemed clear. They resembled alien races we've seen in a bunch of movies. The convention is easy to take on board.

I didn't know whether Nebula was a pre-existing character, or new to the movie. I hadn't heard of her before. But from the movie, I got that she and Gamora were both half-sisters, that Thanos, their father, was terrible to both of them. Gamora pretended to be loyal buy secretly vowed to destroy him, and Nebula, all Stockholm-syndrome-like, loved the daddy the did all that terrible cyborg stuff to her, and therefore was loyal to Ronan by extension. I got all that just from the movie, and thinking that she was a new character made for the movie. Is there anything from the comics I missed that would have mattered?

And the Kree seemed to be intense, blue-skin warriors who have a tenuous peace treaty with the Xandar. Done. When I watched the Star Trek movies and shows, as a casual fan, I didn't really know why the Klingons and Romulans hated each other, either. But they told me they did, so I went for it.

Ronan was described to us as this fanatical radical Kree who didn't believe in the peace treaty and working to undermine it. Got it. I know he goes way back in the comics, and I just assumed they did the usual movie thing of way simplifying or changing him. My most recent experience of him from the comics is from Infinity. But in that, he was one of a group of Accusers, which seemed to be a sort of rank among the Kree. Like a kind of Judge/General. But that little bit of knowledge actually got in the way of who the character was here, as he was being portrayed as being a sort of fringe Kree terrorist as opposed to being a trusted part of the establishment, which I expected him to be until they told me he wasn't.

Now, it could be that your wife will ask these questions because you will be in the room, and she'll know you have the answers that open up those deeper layers to things, so she might be interested to ask an expert. But I am not sure that the casual audience member would feel like they didn't have what they needed to go along for the ride. I don't know that they will feel they don't have information to understand the story happening in front of them. (Even if they might know-- as with every movie adapted from something else-- that there may be some other things that are different or don't get shown.)
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    What's Nova? An alien policeman.
    Who are the Kree? Aliens.
    What's the deal with Thanos? Big, bad alien. Ronan's boss.
    Who is Ronan -- a second bad guy? Kree fanatic. --Yes, like in many, many movies.
    Why is his blue daughter so pissy? Designed that way.

I don't know. My wife doesn't read comics and she liked it a lot...no questions.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Just saw it tonight. Pretty good fun movie. I think it might be a tad overhyped. I had my expectations built up a tad high perhaps.
    Loved groot drax the music and visuals / effects most. Beutiful looking movie. Didn't care for gamora but havnt thought much of the actress to begin with. She seemed barely interested in being there and didn't sell one scene IMO.
    Didn't expect to see so much thanos and didn't care fir his look/feel. Waant nec and woyldve been more interesting and menecing if he had been more subdued. The villain ronan was pretty cool. Cool design.
    The stuff with the collector was still goofy and weak IMO. Just gratuitous weird and fake.
    Glad I'm not really familiar with or attached to these characters or this side of the marvel U. So No disappointments for me in way of appearance or handling.
    Didn't care for John c Riley. He was already the one thing pulling me out from the previews. I like him but not here. Glen close was kindve wasted.
    Didn't care for yondu and his gang or that they were presented as "space hicks".
    The opening was a tad too dramatic / depressing IMO. It was a bit jarring for me but really disturbed the wife and effected her enjoyment of the rest of the movie.
    The end credit scene was... Weird. Cute but maybe too much IMO. Not what I expected and Howard looked horrible.
    I really expected and wanted a red skull cameo or reference. How cool would it have been to see him briefly as another prisoner or referenced by one of the guards as "the last earthing we had here with the red face" or something.
    Why didn't Peter ever return home (or did he?). Who is his father? How many stones are there now that we know of in the movie U 3?

• Options
    RickM said:

I just get the feeling that when I sit with my wife and we watch this on DVD, she'll be asking "What's Nova? Who are the Kree? What's the deal with Thanos? Why is his blue daughter so pissy? Who is Ronan -- a second bad guy?"

Of course she will.

Because she knows you know that stuff and, being a geek, love to share your arcane knowledge with others.
  • Options
    A few thoughts:

Things I didn't like:

The parts with Thanos. In particular, the scene involving his meeting with Ronan on some asteroid or something-or-other. It seemed hokey, like something out of Power Rangers.

Glenn Close. She didn't pull it off at all IMO (plus she looked stupid). I guess the portrayal of the Nova Corps in general was something I wasn't too impressed with.

Howard the Duck. Thought it was a goofy, obscure, "inside baseball" nod to Marvel fans. I was more excited about Cosmo's appearance.

Yondu. Michael Rooker was a mistake IMO. Would've preferred if he was supposed to be someone else.

Things I loved:

The music. Whoever was responsible for the soundtrack nailed it. Set a great tone for the movie from the get go. And whoever said that the opening sequence with Quill dancing hooked the audience? Totally agree.

The emotional dynamic between the team members. Some surprisingly tender moments I thought. Rocket going off about what was done to him, Drax standing up for Gamora, "We are Groot" etc.

The ending with them in Quill's ship and he opens the present. So awesome when they start listening to the mix tape. And the part with "baby Groot" dancing while Drax is sharpening his knife? Gold.

Rhomenn Dey coming home to his family and you see its the mother and daughter that Rocket saved when he divebombed to the planet's surface to repel the Kree invaders.

General comments:

The movie was absolutely packed, and packed early. There was a huge line to get in.

Saw it with my wife, 20 year old daughter, and 11 year old son, none of whom are superhero fans at all. My 11 year old had to be forced into coming matter of fact and my daughter was a surprise member of the trip as her plans fell through. All of them loved, loved, loved it. They all laughed throughout the whole thing. My 11 year old gave it a 98 on 0-100 scale, can't wait for it to come out on DVD, and is already planning out how to get enough money to purchase their Disney Infinity characters. My daughter says Rocket is now her favorite character in movie history. Our 17 year old son opted out (wouldn't be caught dead in public with his parents) and my wife rubbed it in his face about how good it was.

Based on that, I'm guessing the word of mouth / buzz has got to be off the charts. I will not be surprised if it hits $100M this weekend.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

A few thoughts:

Things I didn't like:

The parts with Thanos. In particular, the scene involving his meeting with Ronan on some asteroid or something-or-other. It seemed hokey, like something out of Power Rangers.

This goes back to Avengers.

I'm not sure if it's hokey but it does provide visual continuity for casual fans("hey! I remember that guy from the end of Avengers!") Also, Thanos tends to like floating chairs.

• Options
    I normally don't like 3D movies but this one is worth splurging on. Really well done.
  • Options
    mrfusionmrfusion Posts: 186

Wasn't one of the Dark elves in one of the collectors cases laying down the first time and also one of the alien warriors from avengers? Anything else I missed? Freaking fun movie.

Yeah, I saw him as well as one of the aliens from The Avengers.

I also saw Lloyd Kaufman in the prison scene. Nathan Fillion was credited as the Monstrous Inmate - but I didn't recognize his voice.
  • Options

A few thoughts:

Things I didn't like:

Glenn Close. She didn't pull it off at all IMO (plus she looked stupid). I guess the portrayal of the Nova Corps in general was something I wasn't too impressed with.

Howard the Duck. Thought it was a goofy, obscure, "inside baseball" nod to Marvel fans. I was more excited about Cosmo's appearance.

Yondu. Michael Rooker was a mistake IMO. Would've preferred if he was supposed to be someone else.

I thought Glenn Close was okay, though they didn't really give her much to do. I was okay with Michael Rooker once I realized his Yondu wasn't the same Yondu from the original Guardians team.

I was absolutely delighted with Howard's appearance and hope that this is a sign there'll be a HTD movie in the future; Cosmo I don't really know, since I don't read the GOTG comics, though I know he's a regular supporting character there. His absence wouldn't have bothered me terribly (though I'm glad he's there anyway), whereas I was tickled by Howard's cameo. GIVE US THE DUCK!!
  • Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    One problem with Glenn Close -- and I feel like a horrible, shallow person for saying this -- is that many/most of her lines were uttered in the "Nova control room," with a gorgeous woman standing right next to her. My eye kept leaving Close and going straight to the woman half her age typing on the iPad.
  • Options
    sandmansandman Posts: 199
    WetRats said:

RickM said:

I agree. I never followed any comics that these characters have been in, so I know next to nothing about these characters, and I still enjoyed the movie. I felt that I was given enough information during the movie to know what I needed to know.
  • Options
    sandmansandman Posts: 199
    RickM said:

WetRats said:

RickM said:

I think that you get those answers during the movie. The Nova Corp are a police or military force. We don't get much back ground on the Kree, but we don't see a lot of them as a race yet either. Just from the movies you can see that Thanos is someone who must have a considerable amount of power and influence. And he is working behind the scenes to gather these stones. We don't know what will happen if he gets them, thats being saved as a surprise for a later movie. But seeing how sought after this one stone is in this movie, you can conclude that these stones will make someone very dangerous. we're given the impress that Nebula was altered to be how she is now. And that she is looked down on as the lesser sister. Thats enough to make someone pissy. And Ronan is indeed a second bad guy who was enlisted by Thanos, but decides to try and take the stone's power for himself so that he can destroy his enemies.

I think the information that a viewer needs is in the movie.
  • Options
    Now projecting a $94M box office weekend, trailing only Winter Soldier ($95M) and Transformers ($100M).
  • Options
    Who is the forum member that worked on the Avengers' SFX? It would be interesting to hear if he worked on Guardians.
  • Options
    spidspid Posts: 203
    edited August 2014
    David_D said:

RickM said:

WetRats said:

RickM said:

Maybe. Though some of the Marveldom is so different that, to me, it might as well have been new. As far as I knew in the comics, the Nova Corps were basically like the Green Lantern, they all flew and were super-powered, thanks to their helmets. But in this, they might as well have been the Old Republic. They seemed to be non-powered, shiny, orderly, space police with space ships and guns. Seemed clear. They resembled alien races we've seen in a bunch of movies. The convention is easy to take on board.

I didn't know whether Nebula was a pre-existing character, or new to the movie. I hadn't heard of her before. But from the movie, I got that she and Gamora were both half-sisters, that Thanos, their father, was terrible to both of them. Gamora pretended to be loyal buy secretly vowed to destroy him, and Nebula, all Stockholm-syndrome-like, loved the daddy the did all that terrible cyborg stuff to her, and therefore was loyal to Ronan by extension. I got all that just from the movie, and thinking that she was a new character made for the movie. Is there anything from the comics I missed that would have mattered?

And the Kree seemed to be intense, blue-skin warriors who have a tenuous peace treaty with the Xandar. Done. When I watched the Star Trek movies and shows, as a casual fan, I didn't really know why the Klingons and Romulans hated each other, either. But they told me they did, so I went for it.

You did not read the Infinity Gauntlet? She had a pivotal role in that comic. In the comic she is Thanos's granddaughter and they went with her most recent look. She had hair in the 80s/90s.

To the larger point you made most of what you need to know about these races/characters are spelled out in the movie. The Nova Corp hasn't really been that involved in much in Marvel. Most of the time they are being rebuilt after their destruction.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Sorry.

Gotta go on a nerd rant.

It's Nova Corps, not Nova Corp.

It's a military organization with a silent "p" and a silent "s", not an abbreviated corporation.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944

I love this description from Entertainment Weekly:

If the Avengers are the New York Yankees of the Marvel universe — a collection of slick all-stars for whom victory is more or less a given — then the "Guardians of the Galaxy" are the "Bad News Bears."
    Not even close. "The New Warriors" are the "Bad News Bears".

might be another few days before I can squeeze time to get to the theatre. killing me!
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    WetRats said:

Sorry.

Gotta go on a nerd rant.

It's Nova Corps, not Nova Corp.

It's a military organization with a silent "s", not an abbreviated corporation.

Word crimes! Hey, hey, hey!

• Options
    The Defenders must be the Denver Broncos from years ago...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjc3P8bAIeg
  • Options
    sandman said:

Just from the movies you can see that Thanos is someone who must have a considerable amount of power and influence. And he is working behind the scenes to gather these stones. We don't know what will happen if he gets them, thats being saved as a surprise for a later movie.

Which makes me wonder what the eventual plan is regarding the Infinity Gems... we saw one of those transferred to the Collector at the end of last year's Thor movie (which means that it's now lying somewhere in the rubble, if it hasn't been picked up by someone else afterwards) and now one is locked in a safe at Nova Corps HQ. Will we be seeing the others pop up in the next few movies... and where will this eventually lead? To Thanos and the Gauntlet?
    spid said:

You did not read the Infinity Gauntlet? She had a pivotal role in that comic. In the comic she is Thanos's granddaughter and they went with her most recent look. She had hair in the 80s/90s.

As I recall, Nebula claimed to be Thanos' granddaugher -- Thanos himself had dismissed the claim, and Eros (Starfox; Thanos' brother) had serious doubts of it as well. Was that ever clarified? I also seem to recall that Nebula later got caught up with Kang and might have been revealed to have been one of the alternate timeline Kangs.

Say, I just realized that the girl who was in Star Lord's ship at the beginning of the film was Berreet (I think I spelled that correctly, but I'm not sure) -- is this the same Berreet who was an alien documentary maker in the B&W Rampaging Hulk magazine of the late 70's?
  • Options
    spidspid Posts: 203
    I really enjoyed the heck out of this movie. In terms of start to finish plots only Captain America: The Winter Soldier comes close to this movie's consistency. I think this is the first movie outside of Loki to have a good villain. He is not as dynamic as Loki, but he is the first menacing bad guy to heroes of the story in any Marvel movie.

I thought Rocket and Groot stole every scene they were in. This movie does not get enough credit being freaking gorgeous. I was kind of afraid the Collector would be hockey, but he came off pretty well in his short stay in the movie. The humor in this movie was pretty much spot on, and worked at many levels.

I would rank this movie below the first 40 minutes of the first Captain America and the Avengers. I would put this movie around the same level as Captain America: The Winter Soldier.
  • Options
    spid said:

David_D said:

RickM said:

WetRats said:

RickM said:

To the larger point you made most of what you need to know about these races/characters are spelled out in the movie. The Nova Corp hasn't really been that involved in much in Marvel. Most of the time they are being rebuilt after their destruction.

It's funny- I know I bought and read IG the one time back when it came out, but I barely remember it. Mostly I remember some great art. A lot of star fields. And creepy romance scenes between Thanos and death, and that's about it. I was reading so many comics back during the boom that a lot of them didn't stick. But thanks for the info.
  • Options
    Also? It sounds like Thanos really needs to remember to bring his party hat, as the kids say.
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Posts: 308
    Regarding the Nova Corps; is it possible that in some future appearance they will be newly 'powered up' by accessing the Infinity Stone's energy? Something like the Green Lanterns' central power battery?
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Marathon said:

Regarding the Nova Corps; is it possible that in some future appearance they will be newly 'powered up' by accessing the Infinity Stone's energy? Something like the Green Lanterns' central power battery?

That would be cool. It could be used to creat the World Mind which is supposed to be the source of knowledge, energy and power of the planet Xandar and the Nova Corps.