Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Guardians of the Galaxy (Complete Movie Thread-- Now With Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    spid said:

Since we know there will be a new Guardians movie we still have time to show off the Kree.

Yeah, I know. But it's all about me. :-)
  • Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    chrisw said:

RickM said:

Did the same theater show an "I Love Lucy" DVD instead of the Scarlett Johannson film? Seriously, how do you accidently show the wrong, two-year-old movie?

What gets me is that the article says they kept downloading the wrong movie even after catching the mistake.

A) Why on earth would Return of the Guardians still be downloadable for theaters when it's a couple years old?

B) Wouldn't the top release of the weekend be glaringly obvious on whatever system they use to download things for digital projection? I would have guessed it would be the first thing visible, while a two year old film would require effort to find.

The Regal cinema around here seems to be prone to mistakes, as well, so maybe it's a company wide problem. For about 3-4 months last year they didn't change the "Now Showing" sign outside their theater because they claimed in a newspaper interview that the employee who did that had quit. No one else knows how to change letters on a sign? I honestly thought they'd gone out of business.
    This is just me speculating, but is it possible that the local theaters were showing those free 10 am movies for little kids all summer long, and Return of the Guardians was one of the selections, and somehow someone picked up the wrong package? Which is still a weird error. And perhaps in this day of digital, nothing arrives in a package anymore....

• Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407

If the gem used in GOTG was the Power Gem, then the 'Tesseract'/Cosmic Cube was most likely the Reality Gem.

Few people agreed with my earlier observation that the movies are too reliant on arcane comic book knowledge, which is fine, but I think the above sentence goes back to that. Although I've seen all the pertinent Marvel movies -- the Thor, Cap, Iron Man and Avengers films -- and I've seen various people fight over cubes and baubles, I don't think anyone has provided an explanation of what they mean. It's more of a vague "once I have this I will have unlimited power" idea.
  • Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    edited August 2014
    RickM said:

It's more of a vague "once I have this I will have unlimited power" idea.

Kind of gives off an "Arc of the Covenant" / "Maltese Falcon" kind of vibe.

:D
  • Options
    spidspid Posts: 203
    edited August 2014
    RickM said:

If the gem used in GOTG was the Power Gem, then the 'Tesseract'/Cosmic Cube was most likely the Reality Gem.

Few people agreed with my earlier observation that the movies are too reliant on arcane comic book knowledge, which is fine, but I think the above sentence goes back to that. Although I've seen all the pertinent Marvel movies -- the Thor, Cap, Iron Man and Avengers films -- and I've seen various people fight over cubes and baubles, I don't think anyone has provided an explanation of what they mean. It's more of a vague "once I have this I will have unlimited power" idea.
    I thought this article was a good look at how the Infinity Gems have helped to fuel Marvel's films.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/8/4/5966773/guardians-of-the-galaxy-avengers-3

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    RickM said:

Beacause it's not important yet.

Right now they're just Maguffins.

Eventually, they'll all be parts of a Mega-Maguffin.

Guardians went ahead and gave us the context and set up the eventual Battle of the Mega-Maguffin, but there's plenty of time.

Patience.
  • Options
    spid said:

I thought this article was a good look at how the Infinity Gems have helped to fuel Marvel's films.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/8/4/5966773/guardians-of-the-galaxy-avengers-3

That's a great read, @spid‌.

So, in theory, 4 of the 6 Infinity Gems may have been accounted for already, leaving only the Soul and Time gems to make an appearance. James Gunn's recent confirmation that it was Adam Warlock's cocoon in GOTG could possibly point to the Soul Gem showing up when we (hopefully) meet up with Warlock down the road at some point. The Time Gem would really open up some interesting storyline possibilities for them.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    RickM said:

chrisw said:

RickM said:

Did the same theater show an "I Love Lucy" DVD instead of the Scarlett Johannson film? Seriously, how do you accidently show the wrong, two-year-old movie?

What gets me is that the article says they kept downloading the wrong movie even after catching the mistake.

A) Why on earth would Return of the Guardians still be downloadable for theaters when it's a couple years old?

B) Wouldn't the top release of the weekend be glaringly obvious on whatever system they use to download things for digital projection? I would have guessed it would be the first thing visible, while a two year old film would require effort to find.

The Regal cinema around here seems to be prone to mistakes, as well, so maybe it's a company wide problem. For about 3-4 months last year they didn't change the "Now Showing" sign outside their theater because they claimed in a newspaper interview that the employee who did that had quit. No one else knows how to change letters on a sign? I honestly thought they'd gone out of business.
    This is just me speculating, but is it possible that the local theaters were showing those free 10 am movies for little kids all summer long, and Return of the Guardians was one of the selections, and somehow someone picked up the wrong package? Which is still a weird error. And perhaps in this day of digital, nothing arrives in a package anymore....

I was wondering that myself, because I think Regal does do that. I still don't see how they would click and download it three times though.

The Regal around here has been cutting back on staff to the point that a few weeks ago I bought my ticket, my concessions, and then handed my ticket all to one person who seemed to be working the entire theater by themselves. They don't even have their electronic ticket machines out front turned on anymore. Not sure if it's just this one, or a company-wide thing, but it seems to me that there's a point where cutting back to save money does more harm than good.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I never considered Loki's staff to be housing one of the gems. Interesting. My reflexes must not be very good because that one flew right over my head.
  • Options
    Sonofthor said:

"If you brought a black light in here it would look like a Jackson Pollock painting"

I laughed so hard on that one that I snorted just a little in the theater.

Also, I am going to need a Potted Mini Dancing Groot for my desk at work.

saw one listed on Etsy!
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Sonofthor said:

"If you brought a black light in here it would look like a Jackson Pollock painting"

I laughed so hard on that one that I snorted just a little in the theater.

Also, I am going to need a Potted Mini Dancing Groot for my desk at work.

saw one listed on Etsy!
    Did it dance?

It's gotta dance to music like the old dancing flower toy that inspired the scene.
  • Options
    This seems to indicate which McGuffin is which in the cinematic universe (though I don't know the sources): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinity_gems#Description
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    chrisw said:

RickM said:

chrisw said:

RickM said:

I was wondering that myself, because I think Regal does do that. I still don't see how they would click and download it three times though.

The Regal around here has been cutting back on staff to the point that a few weeks ago I bought my ticket, my concessions, and then handed my ticket all to one person who seemed to be working the entire theater by themselves. They don't even have their electronic ticket machines out front turned on anymore. Not sure if it's just this one, or a company-wide thing, but it seems to me that there's a point where cutting back to save money does more harm than good.
    There's actually a business strategy there... if you've already got your wallet out to buy tickets, it's far easier to sell you concessions and the profits aren't made on the gate, they're made on the concessions. Ticket in hand, makes it far easier to bypass the concessions stand.

Still, not having anyone at the usher stand seems a little light unless it was a low traffic day or a small number of screens. I know that the 4-plex in my hometown sells tickets and takes the stubs at the same location, but concessions are around the corner.
  • Options
    kgforcekgforce Posts: 326
    edited August 2014
    RickM said:

One problem with Glenn Close -- and I feel like a horrible, shallow person for saying this -- is that many/most of her lines were uttered in the "Nova control room," with a gorgeous woman standing right next to her. My eye kept leaving Close and going straight to the woman half her age typing on the iPad.

I never even noticed the gorgeous woman... I was too mesmerized/fascinated/transfixed by the Glenn Close's hair!

• Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    hauberk said:

chrisw said:

RickM said:

chrisw said:

RickM said:

There's actually a business strategy there... if you've already got your wallet out to buy tickets, it's far easier to sell you concessions and the profits aren't made on the gate, they're made on the concessions. Ticket in hand, makes it far easier to bypass the concessions stand.

Still, not having anyone at the usher stand seems a little light unless it was a low traffic day or a small number of screens. I know that the 4-plex in my hometown sells tickets and takes the stubs at the same location, but concessions are around the corner.
    The one here sells tickets, even ones you buy online, at the concession registers, so everyone, from people buying popcorn, to people buying tickets, to people picking up pre-bought tickets, wait in the same line. And on the nights when hardly anyone's on staff, you have to wait while the person at the register leaves to collect ticket stubs when they see someone entering the theater out of the corner of their eye.

If it happened once, I'd assume they were just short-staffed that time, but it happens a lot. I mainly go to Fathom events there, and I've learned to get my ticket in person before that night. Otherwise, I stand in line for 15-20 minutes just to pick up tickets I've already paid for. Doctor Who night was ridiculous - a line going out the front door, when there were four electronic ticket machines right outside, all with signs saying tickets had to be picked up inside. It makes those pre-show commercials showing how easy it is to buy your tickets online look laughable.

Oh, and it's an 11 screen theater, so not a small operation.

But, enough of my griping. I'm just kind of baffled as to what their thinking is, and that Regal story got me on the subject. If that theater in the news story is run similarly, I could see why they'd have a hard time getting the right film.
  • Options
    kgforce said:

RickM said:

One problem with Glenn Close -- and I feel like a horrible, shallow person for saying this -- is that many/most of her lines were uttered in the "Nova control room," with a gorgeous woman standing right next to her. My eye kept leaving Close and going straight to the woman half her age typing on the iPad.

I never even noticed the gorgeous woman... I was too mesmerized/fascinated/transfixed by the Glenn Close's hair!
    Right there with you. She looked liked she'd strayed off of the Hunger Games set.

(I'd also guess she only spent a day or two shooting.)
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Hellsfire said:

Lastly, I'm a HUGE Thanos fan, but Thanos is kind of lame. Then again, I never much cared for the Darkseid rip, generic mastermind villain version. I much prefer the introspective, does what's right for him, may kill or help you, quest for knowledge, saves the universe but never gets any props, uses his brains over brawn version. And man, that costume of his looked dumb. I blame that terrible Jason Aaron mini-series.

To be fair to Aaron and Bianchi, their Thanos story came out a little more than a year ago. I would be shocked if movie Thanos had not been scripted and designed by then. And if they are similar (I didn't read the comic, so I can't compare) it is more likely that the movie Thanos, designed and scripted by others, became a kind of brand marching orders for the team making the Thanos Rising comic, and not the other way around.

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    RickM said:

chrisw said:

RickM said:

It's funny- this thread reminded me that I meant to check out the schedule for these $1 10am movies to see if there would be a good one for my daughter to see tomorrow. And, looking at the schedule, I think @RickM‌ gets the deduction prize.
  • Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    WHEN ARE THE GEEKS REVIEWING THE MOVIE?!?!?!?!?!
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    Couldn't handle it... had to skip out on work this afternoon and catch an afternoon matinee. So glad I did. awesome.
  • Options
    electric_mayhemelectric_mayhem Posts: 641
    edited August 2014
    RANGER RICK?!?!?!?!?

The whole movie audience loved that reference.

Great and endearing movie. Loved the pacing, the style, the humor, the characters.

Well done, Gunn and Co.
  • Options
    spid said:

I do not see her as being wishy washy. She was never trying to kill Peter Quill. She was trying to take the orb without killing him. In this film Gamora is tired of killing people and is looking for a way out. I thought how quickly she turned the table in the prison scene showed she was just waiting for a moment to do so.

I thought Gamora and Nebula both explained that Thanos had tortured them to turn them into killing machines. I think there a big difference between not liking a sibling, and wanting to see them die.

The alien war had just ended I am not sure how much showing fighting would have added to the film.

I never really got that Gamora was tired of killing people since they never really showed her killing people in the first place. So she was looking for a way out from...what exactly? It was just she quickly went from working for Thanos to betraying him even though he didn't really do anything to her in the movie or do much of anything in the movie.

Yes, it's all great that they TOLD me about Thanos and how evil he supposedly was, but I needed to see him in action or do them wrong personally. Not showing me and telling me about all these things reminds me of another movie. One where the two main characters talked about how buddy buddy they were and all the great times they had. But while watching the movie, all I could plainly see was one clearly annoyed with the other and the other never listening to one.

Adding bits and pieces of the alien war would made the audience care. We see Ronan kill one guy who we don't know. We never see him slaughtering innocents, we never see refugees fleeing their homeland, we never see said homeland destroyed. Because we never see it, I have no invested interested in the people he's killing nor him as a villain.

Don't get me wrong as I enjoyed the movie, but it's not going to hold up. A few years down the line, it'll just be dumb fun but it'll lack depth and with the exception of the two CGI characters any sort of character resonation.
    David_D said:

Hellsfire said:

To be fair to Aaron and Bianchi, their Thanos story came out a little more than a year ago. I would be shocked if movie Thanos had not been scripted and designed by then. And if they are similar (I didn't read the comic, so I can't compare) it is more likely that the movie Thanos, designed and scripted by others, became a kind of brand marching orders for the team making the Thanos Rising comic, and not the other way around.

Fair enough. I also forgot about the terrible Infinity. I don't know which one was worse.
  • Options
    luckymustardluckymustard Posts: 927
    edited August 2014
    Hellsfire said:

Yes, it's all great that they TOLD me about Thanos and how evil he supposedly was, but I needed to see him in action or do them wrong personally. Not showing me and telling me about all these things reminds me of another movie. One where the two main characters talked about how buddy buddy they were and all the great times they had. But while watching the movie, all I could plainly see was one clearly annoyed with the other and the other never listening to one.

I'm curious... what movie is that?
  • Options
    bamfbamf said:

*cough*

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited August 2014

bamfbamf said:

*cough*

The review episode is out.

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

bamfbamf said:

*cough*

It's in my podcast queue :)

• Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    edited August 2014
    just downloaded the geeks review!! can't wait to listen!!

check out this beautiful concept art

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2014/08/concept-art-guardians-of-the-galaxy

• Options
    The Empire Podcast has a fun episode out yesterday on GotG. They have an interview with James Gunn followed by a roundtable discussion of the movie. Plus, they're British, so their accents are awesome.