Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Guardians of the Galaxy (Complete Movie Thread-- Now With Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200

I'm still processing but my FAVORITE thing, BAR NONE, is the inclusion of the Celestials. That opens up SOOOOO much that I got giddy when we saw the head in the trailer. Then even MORE giddy when they explained the head in the movie. Then I nearly lost my SHIT when I saw the Celestial in the image the Collector showed the Guardians.

Just had to get that out there.

Yes, that was an unexpected, but awesome, scene.

• Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    WetRats said:

Planeis said:

As for the humor, would have been fine without the dick jokes and shit this and shit that.

Dude.

Dicks are funny.
    I know mine is!

• Options

I'm still processing but my FAVORITE thing, BAR NONE, is the inclusion of the Celestials. That opens up SOOOOO much that I got giddy when we saw the head in the trailer. Then even MORE giddy when they explained the head in the movie. Then I nearly lost my SHIT when I saw the Celestial in the image the Collector showed the Guardians.

Ohhhhh, yeah! I'm right there with you on that one!
  • Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    for PG-13 movie... i thought violence was quite minimal and hardly noticeable... except when groot impaled the row of solders and smashed then all to death... and then turned around with a big smile... besides that... i had no real issues with the violence... if u can't handle PG-13 violence... how u going to handle a rated-R Deadpool movie....

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Torchsong said:

When that happened my wife turned to me and said (and I'm quoting) "Oh my God! The Celestials?!?"

That's right, you jealous bastards...suck it up. My wife knows who the Celestials are. :)
    I heard the Celestials know who your wife is, too.

(What? We all know Celestials love cosplay hats.)
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    bamfbamf said:

for PG-13 movie... i thought violence was quite minimal and hardly noticeable... except when groot impaled the row of solders and smashed then all to death... and then turned around with a big smile... besides that... i had no real issues with the violence... if u can't handle PG-13 violence... how u going to handle a rated-R Deadpool movie....

Wait, I know this is a sidebar, but is there talk that they might do an R rated Deadpool? I would be shocked if they did. Especially if they were going to actually tie into the X-franchise. I mean, I know Marvel (as "Marvel Knights") and Lionsgate made an R rated Punisher movie in '08, but given how poorly that performed, I would bet if they ever do a Punisher movie again it will be PG-13. And I would be surprised if Marvel (or Fox or Sony) to be trying and R rated superhero movies anytime soon. But I also haven't paid attention to any development news on this-- is this something people are really talking about? (Beyond the leaked/strategically released test footage)
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    David_D said:

I heard the Celestials know who your wife is, too.

(What? We all know Celestials love cosplay hats.)

Really, though, if you lose your wife to a Celestial, that's still kinda braggin' rights. :)

• Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    edited August 2014
    Torchsong said:

When that happened my wife turned to me and said (and I'm quoting) "Oh my God! The Celestials?!?"

That's right, you jealous bastards...suck it up. My wife knows who the Celestials are. :)

KEEPER!
    nice work. I've got one of those too.

... and did I mention that my kid named her new pet lizard "Fin Fang Foom".
    I've never been more proud.

• Options
    Was out for pizza with the wife and kids. I over heard an older guy telling his buddy, "everyone tells me to go see that Guardians of the Galaxy movie because it's so good. It's shit! It was shit! Terrible! It had a talking raccoon!" I had to laugh.
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    bamfbamf said:

And the time Rooker (the pirate leader) impaled a dozen more through the chest with his arrow, and all those guards who were shot in the prison and...

It was PG-13. And the violence was in line with what a PG 13 movie can accept. I like violent movies. I like violent TV shows. But for me, some of the violence in this relatively light hearted movie was out of place. The scene with Groot could have been the exact same if he just knocked the bad guys over instead of impaling them through the chest.

And it wasn't just that either. Right from the beginning when our hero is touring the barren planet, he kicks around the little critters for no reason, like they are garbage.

I read a Salon article after I saw the movie that explained it this way, the writer said he could already here the fans of the movie saying "Violence? What violence?" For a movie that seems to be squarely aimed at "Fun" and many people want to compare to Star Wars (rated PG) I saw no reason why the violence/language couldn't have been toned down.
  • Options
    David_D said:

bamfbamf said:

Wait, I know this is a sidebar, but is there talk that they might do an R rated Deadpool? I would be shocked if they did. Especially if they were going to actually tie into the X-franchise. I mean, I know Marvel (as "Marvel Knights") and Lionsgate made an R rated Punisher movie in '08, but given how poorly that performed, I would bet if they ever do a Punisher movie again it will be PG-13. And I would be surprised if Marvel (or Fox or Sony) to be trying and R rated superhero movies anytime soon. But I also haven't paid attention to any development news on this-- is this something people are really talking about? (Beyond the leaked/strategically released test footage)
    They'd probably do like what they did with The Wolverine. Film it and then strategically edit it for a PG-13 theatrical release. Release the Unrated version on DVD for the fans.
  • Options
    touche!

i guess i've become and i think a lot of people have become desentisized to the killing of NPC aliens
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    bamfbamf said:

An R rating wouldn't be the issue for me. ;)
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    David_D said:

bamfbamf said:

R movies in general just don't make as much money at the box office as a PG-13 film does. Sure adults may have the money, but it's the >18 that is spending it. Studios would nullify any profit by releasing R movies. This isn't to say all Rs do poorly, but generally speaking PG-13s make waaaaay more. And as @Planeis‌ wrote, the home market is where studios can recoup or gain more profit simply by releasing the Unrated Xtreme Ultimate Edition!
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    mphil said:

Can ABC please do a procedural within the Nova Corps?

You mean like Warner Brothers should have done with the Green Lantern movie? Super-hero Training Day.

• Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    I didn't have any issue withe violence or language in guardians. I don't remember anything more heinous than "dick" being said a couple of times. The violence was pretty restrained IMO. No blood or gore. Just cartoon like. The groot scene was a little odd and didn't work on me as I imagined it was expected (mirroring the avengers hulk scene). Sure if you analyze it its pretty gruesome, but as shown, it was tame. The little critters kicked around in the opening seemed to me as vicious little monsters that wanted (and would've) atacked and devoured starlord if they were bigger or more intelligent/organized. The sfx of the people being disintegrated by the infinity gem was the most disturbing violent images in the movie IMO. Heck, the robot girls bent arm was more icky than any of the deaths I can remember.
    Personally my main complaint is with the killing of all the prison guards. It was never really implied they were bad guys or anything that I recal. It was never claimed the prisoners were wrongly or unjustly imprisoned. The gotg were seemingly rightfully incarcerated. But regardless, how were their murders justified and how and why were those deaths just forgotten and forgiven? Thats my nitpick. Most Its just a movie. It was a good one. Good enough I'm not gonna get bent over a couple little things. Not like some other movies with much bigger flaws like man of steel or dark knight rises.
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    batlaw said:

Heck, the robot girls bent arm was more icky than any of the deaths I can remember.

I was going to say Groot doing what ever he did to Drax. I'm still not sure how you save someone from drowning by stabbing them in the chest but I'm also not Groot.

The stabbing without gore was about the equivalent of the 80's movies when you throw a grenade and you show the bad guys jumping with an explosion behind them. The idea is they're dead but somehow weren't ripped to shreds by the shrapnel.

• Options
    http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=41888

"There have been a lot of documents passed around about who Peter Quill’s father is between a select two or three of us," says Gunn. "That’s been part of the plan since the beginning, that’s something I had to work out before we shot the screenplay. We wanted to make sure Yondu’s place in everything made sense and it does, so it’s all very specific stuff."

Importantly, Gunn had a major revelation for fans trying to work out who Peter Quill's father might be. "It’s definitely not the character who it is in the comics, I’ll say that much."

For those not in the know, the comics' have J'son, also known as "Jason of Spartax" - the Emperor of the Spartoi Empire - as young Star-Lord's dad, a complicated and intriguing character that's hard to explain in a few sentences. For the curious, check out Marvel's site for more details.

As for Thanos possibly being the big bad for Guardians Of The Galaxy 2, don't get your hopes up. "He will show up [in the sequel] if he helps our story and he will not show up at all if not. Thanos is not the most important thing in Guardians 2, that’s for damn sure. There’s the Guardians themselves and other threats the Guardians are going to be facing that are not Thanos."
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    bamfbamf said:

"Thanos is not the most important thing in Guardians 2, that’s for damn sure. There’s the Guardians themselves and other threats the Guardians are going to be facing that are not Thanos."

Huzzah!
  • Options
    will GOTG 2 follow the Annihilation Conquest: Star Lord limited series and have them infiltrate the Phalanx or some similar situation where only a ragtag team can go behind enemy lines?

http://www.comicvine.com/annihilation-conquest-starlord/4050-19051/
  • Options
    does anyone know why groot stopped speaking in the comics?

i haven't finished reading Annihilation Conquest yet...

but he could speak in Annihilation Conquest - Star Lord

• Options
    bamfbamf said:

does anyone know why groot stopped speaking in the comics?

i haven't finished reading Annihilation Conquest yet...

but he could speak in Annihilation Conquest - Star Lord

I could be wrong but I don't remember Groot ever talking to anyone but Rocket in that series. Rocket is the only member of the team who is actually hearing what he is saying...the other guys hear "I am Groot!" DnA, I assume, decided it was better for the reader to read "I am Groot" and have Rocket's reaction be our translation.

• Options
    bamfbamf said:

will GOTG 2 follow the Annihilation Conquest: Star Lord limited series and have them infiltrate the Phalanx or some similar situation where only a ragtag team can go behind enemy lines?

The Avengers blast Ultron into space at the end of A2:AoU and he ends up in conflict with the GotG.

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    As for the humor, would have been fine without the dick jokes and shit this and shit that.

My Review

Your review is spot-on and I agree with nearly all of it.

Agreed. I thought the movie was a lot of fun, but Ronan and Yondu got tired really fast. Furthermore, Thanos looked kind of goofy. Not the effect I think they were going for. Otherwise, loved the movie.

Is that Galactus's staff this image?

And the winer for fan made toy of the season?DANCING BABY GROOT
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    WetRats said:

Planeis said:

Didn't like seeing yet another huge spaceship slam into a heavily populated city.

An explicitly evacuated city.
    How about the running gun battle through the very much unevavuated Nowhere? Ok since it was Mos Eisley in a Celestial a Skull?
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    hauberk said:

WetRats said:

Planeis said:

Didn't like seeing yet another huge spaceship slam into a heavily populated city.

How about the running gun battle through the very much unevavuated Nowhere? Ok since it was Mos Eisley in a Celestial a Skull?
    Scum and villainy.

The only possible innocents in Knowhere were in The Collector's cases.
  • Options
    http://www.mysteriousexhortations.com/?p=1844

Throughout the miniseries Star-Lord: Annihilation - Conquest, Groot and Rocket act as a team, and Groot is talking up a storm. When that miniseries ended, it fed into the overall six-issue Annihilation Conquest miniseries. And here’s where it gets weird. I mean, considering that we’re already dealing with a talking tree monster from Planet X. Which is movie canon, BTW. In issue three, Groot can only say “I am Groot,” so the assumption is that someone came up with this quirk between the two series. And Rocket even comments on how Groot only ever says the one thing.

• Options
    hauberk said:

WetRats said:

Planeis said:

Here's what you need to know. No one cares about violence in Marvel movies. Not sure if its the humor or the bright colors, but one or both of those things means they can have people dying left and right and most people go "huh? what violence?"