Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

DCBS

I placed my first dcbs order last month. After listening to roughly 400-500 episodes of the last couple months, im fairly new to cgs(may 14), i have heard them all talk about how they love dcbs and im really just wondering how it works ive tried to look on the FAQ but im not finding everything Im looking for. My main question is how often should I be placing an order? should I place my order at the beginning or end of the month? Any other information on how this business works would be great. Sorry if these questions are "dumb" but I am new to comics, dcbs, and pre-ordering in general so any tips would be awesome. Thank you CGS community for any feedback/tips/etc..

Comments

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    I've been using them since becoming an avid CGS listener too. At first I was confused and wasn't quite sure how the system works, but I've been very happy with their customer service and they are good to answer emails if you have concerns. I now order monthly during the 2nd week of the month. You will still have a few days to edit your order afterwards.

I actually started a thread about it a few months back. It will probably answer a lot of your questions as it did mine. Check it out here: thecomicforums.com/discussion/1930/comics-pre-order-services-compared-inquiry-about-dcbs/p1
  • Options
    Thank you and i believe I am in the same boat as you once were. I feel like i have studied their site and am just flat out confused. I have somewhat figured out the pull list to create an order im just not 100% sure about any of it though lol. Thanks again im def gonna check out that thread!
  • Options
    You'll figure it out!
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    DCBS:
    setup the account
    download the current or previous month spreadsheet
    fill out spreadsheet and upload to your account
    ;)

Here is the skinny on DCBS; you are paying for comic/comic related stuff at least 2 months in advance at a subsantial discount. They have good customer service and are reliable. I've been using them since pretty regularly since 2007; it's a great company especially if you are like me and live in an area without a local store.

A very recent devolpment is that DCBS is now letting you choose which week of the month you want you items shipped. Week 2, the best of both worlds.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    My main question is how often should I be placing an order?

Usually once a month when all the new stuff is listed. Around the first week, they'll update the site with all the new issues to pre-order from that month's Previews book.

Should I place my order at the beginning or end of the month?

See above. Around the first week or so the site will be updated and you have until roughly the last week or so to get your order finalized.

Any other information on how this business works would be great.

You're basically ordering your books 2-3 months in advance. Because they know how much of something they need to order, that's where they can pass the discount on to you. Also because of that, once you order something and the order closes at the end of the month and your payment has been processed. You can cancel items sometimes if they haven't already ordered them, but it's important to understand that it should be a regular practice based on their business model.

You can opt to have shipments come weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly. Monthly offers the least expensive shipping, and you get the joy of that great big box at the end of the month! :)

To truly "get your money's worth", you need to order enough product to overshadow the $7-8 shipping you're going to be charged. This is not hard to do. A few trades will put you right over the hump and after that it's gravy.

Any other questions, let us know. A number of us have used them for many years now.
  • Options
    Good info here. And @mwhitt80 is timely regarding the shipping selection recently changing. I just got that email an hour ago!

Great service as always.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    mwhitt80 said:

Here is the skinny on DCBS; you are paying for comic/comic related stuff at least 2 months in advance at a subsantial discount. They have good customer service and are reliable. I've been using them since pretty regularly since 2007; it's a great company especially if you are like me and live in an area without a local store.

Think of it this way: you see something in Previews and go to you LCS and tell them you want to make sure it's in your pull bin/order. Two months-ish later (some items are more than 2 months out) you can pick up your stuff. DCBS allows you to do this all while inyour underoos. If you miss something in your order or hear buzz about a book, you can always swing by your LCS and grab it.
  • Options
    fredzilla said:

mwhitt80 said:

Think of it this way: you see something in Previews and go to you LCS and tell them you want to make sure it's in your pull bin/order. Two months-ish later (some items are more than 2 months out) you can pick up your stuff. DCBS allows you to do this all while inyour underoos. If you miss something in your order or hear buzz about a book, you can always swing by your LCS and grab it.
    You can also e-mail them and ask if they can add it. I haven't ever had an issue doing this, and they are great about late orders as well.

• Options
    fredzilla said:

DCBS allows you to do this all while inyour underoos.

• Options
    Thanks everyone for the info I think I have a much better grasp on whats going on and i think im gonna submit my next order today... correct me if im wrong but ordering in sept. means ill be recieving the shipment in Nov? i hope I got that straight. The only other question that i have and I believe I know the answer is... When do they charge you? Im under the impression you get charged in the middle of the next month after you submit your order (for instance: I order in August, pay in sept., then receive in Oct.). If that is not correct would someone please inform me otherwise. once again thank you all for taking time out to help a "newbie".
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    You have it correct.

1) Order beginning of month.
    2) Order closes toward end of that month.
    3) Your card is charged middle of next month.
    4) Books will start coming in about 2-3 months later*

* Bear in mind your complete order will likely not all come at once. Some companies ship later than others, no matter when you order.
    ** If you go monthly shipping, you're also more likely to see your books show up the beginning of the month AFTER they're slated to show up. (Example: Order in September for November, you start seeing books show up in your Shipment stack in November, you don't actually GET said shipment until beginning of December).
    *** I look at this as Christmas coming at the beginning of every month. :)
  • Options
    One more thing. DCBS is very good about responding to email queries, so if we don't answer every question you have, just drop them an email. I've always gotten every question or request responsed to within 48 hours.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Out of interest, has anyone from the uk ever ordered from DCBS? Was wondering what the shipping to uk is like?
  • Options
    luke52 said:

Out of interest, has anyone from the uk ever ordered from DCBS? Was wondering what the shipping to uk is like?

I did for about 4 years. The shipping for about 50 comics plus a couple of trades was usually about $50. With the discounts and the exchange rate I still saved a decent amount of money each month. Their big discounts on new trades/hardcovers really saved me a lot of money compared to what they'd cost over here. I only stopped ordering from them when I stopped buying that many comics a month (thanks DC!)

If you're buying enough stuff to justify the shipping, go for it.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    They will even add late orders, if you ask them nicely in an email...!
  • Options
    UPS wrecked my shipment once and some books got damaged. I told DCBS so I could file a claim with UPS. They shipped out all the damaged books with no problems. Only reason I don't use them now is because my monthly reading levels are so low. Great company.
  • Options
    mphilmphil Posts: 448
    Pro tip: email them and ask to get your shipment the 2nd or 3rd week of the months. Your shipment will never get backed up again.