Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

DC bringing back "Kamandi"?

"Kamandi Book Apparently in the Works From DC Comics"

http://comicbook.com/2014/09/30/kamandi-book-apparently-in-the-works-from-dc-comics/

"And, like O.M.A.C. and Infinity Man and the Forever People before it, apparently Kamandi may be coming back into print. At least, according to Quantum & Woody artist Tom Fowler, who tweeted this afternoon that he had turned down the opportunity to draw the book"

Just had to turn down a KAMANDI book this morning and now I feel sick and alone and universe makes no sense and cry.

— tom fowler (@tomfowlerbug) September 30, 2014

Comments

• Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    So DC nixed Paul Pope's revival of Kamandi in order to give the property to someone else?
  • Options
    I love Paul Pope, but I don't think his version of Kamandi would sell well enough to go 6 issues. I'd LOVE to see Joe Casey and Tom Scioli give it a try....

I'd also pay stupid money to see a GOOD version of the character done in a kid-friendly style, since Kirby always saw it as a book for kids.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

I love Paul Pope, but I don't think his version of Kamandi would sell well enough to go 6 issues.

About what Kamandi: At Earth's End achieved. I wasn't into Kamandi at the time. How was that received back in the 90's?

• Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Didn't Paul Pope do a wicked good Black Panther a few years back? Or am i thinking about something else?
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    random73 said:

Didn't Paul Pope do a wicked good Black Panther a few years back? Or am i thinking about something else?

No, no, that was Priest not Pope. ;)

• Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    Isn't there already a perfectly good Kamandi comic on the market?

• Options

I love Paul Pope, but I don't think his version of Kamandi would sell well enough to go 6 issues.

About what Kamandi: At Earth's End achieved. I wasn't into Kamandi at the time. How was that received back in the 90's?

I bought the full series of Kamandi: At Earth's End a few years back and it is the most dreadful thing I've ever read. I continue to be astonished by the awfulness of 90s comics.

• Options

It was a limited series, and is pretty much a flop on every level.

• Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Mr_Cosmic said:

random73 said:

No, no, that was Priest not Pope. ;)

ha! gotcha! you can see my confusion.
  • Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    They should follow the lead of Brave & the Bold:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N7Qvk6iSMA
  • Options
    The Brave and the Bold episode was a lot of fun :)
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited October 2014
    Yes, follow the lead of Brave and the Bold.

• Options

It was obvious that Haney never even bothered to read Kamandi before he scripted this, but the story was awesome fun. This is the only comic that ever gave me a nightmare; I dreamed that apes were taking over my neighborhood.

• Options
    RickM said:

It was obvious that Haney never even bothered to read Kamandi before he scripted this, but the story was awesome fun. This is the only comic that ever gave me a nightmare; I dreamed that apes were taking over my neighborhood.

I think that’s why Haney is one of my favorite writers of that era. He was never one to let established continuity stand in the way of a good story.
  • Options
    This just answered my question on the comic cover a day thread :)
  • Options

RickM said:

I think that’s why Haney is one of my favorite writers of that era. He was never one to let established continuity stand in the way of a good story.
    His stuff still gives me headaches, though. The Superman/Batman sons, those insane Batman team-ups (the Sgt Rock story where Batman sells his soul to Satan is just batshit crazy), and his villains (The Ding Dong Daddy?) just were crazy…and people say that Grant Morrison’s comics are weird. Metamorpho reads like someone cooked up by a guy on ambien who was told to create a super-hero sitcom.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

RickM said:

His stuff still gives me headaches, though. The Superman/Batman sons, those insane Batman team-ups (the Sgt Rock story where Batman sells his soul to Satan is just batshit crazy), and his villains (The Ding Dong Daddy?) just were crazy…and people say that Grant Morrison’s comics are weird. Metamorpho reads like someone cooked up by a guy on ambien who was told to create a super-hero sitcom.
    Monarch was supposed to be Ding Dong Daddy, but then they changed it to Hawk when fans guessed it early. Right? Or am I thinking of someone else?
  • Options

RickM said:

You just listed everything (okay, not everything) I love about comics.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

RickM said:

You just listed everything (okay, not everything) I love about comics.
    "Batman digs this day."
  • Options
    David_D said:

Monarch was supposed to be Ding Dong Daddy, but then they changed it to Hawk when fans guessed it early. Right? Or am I thinking of someone else?

No, Monarch was supposed to be Captain Atom – they had a lot of set-up for it in several issues leading up to the conclusion, and then had to retreat and rewrite when word got out. Eventually, years later, they went ahead and turned him into Monarch anyway...
  • Options

David_D said:

No, Monarch was supposed to be Captain Atom – they had a lot of set-up for it in several issues leading up to the conclusion, and then had to retreat and rewrite when word got out. Eventually, years later, they went ahead and turned him into Monarch anyway...
    [Humor Detection Module Failure--Check All Connections And Replace Batteries]

• Options
    PaulPaul Posts: 169
    The Gibbons/Sook Kamandi in Wednesday Comics is something I'd buy the living heck out of.

Also, I think David is right. It was totally supposed to be Ding Dong Daddy. The Captain Atom story was just whitewashing to throw us off the scent.
  • Options
    Paul said:

The Gibbons/Sook Kamandi in Wednesday Comics is something I'd buy the living heck out of.

Me, too.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Also? Ding Dong Daddy is my real dad.

:((
  • Options
    RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327
    Paul said:

I miss Wednesday Comics! Those were so much fun and so much fun to give to younger kids. I had to get extra copies because the originals were spread out on the floor, torn, bruised, etc. All worth it! Haha.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    David_D said:

:((

hmmm... I always thought it was King Kandy.
  • Options
    David_D said:

Did you ever get to ride the D-car line?

youtu.be/tiyWTqvI1b4
  • Options

David_D said:

Did you ever get to ride the D-car line?

youtu.be/tiyWTqvI1b4
    It's the last place I ever saw my Ding Dong Daddy.

:(

:(( :(( :((
  • Options
    Well, I did hear that he reaped a little more than he could sow of the pleasures the Mormons in Utah know. I also heard he could not restrain himself when he saw
    a nice caboose.

Back to the main topic...if I had my druthers, I'd like to see a split book: Kamandi for the first half by Joe Casey and Tom Scioli, and Tommy Tomorrow by Grant Morrison and Cameron Stewart as the back half.

I can dream, can't I?