Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

What's the Best Marvel Crossover Event?

Comments

• Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    A friend in high school loaned me his copies of the Evolutionary War annuals. That was what brought me back into mainstream comics after years of being away. Before that I dabbled a bit with 2000 AD and the US Judge Dredd reprints from Eagle and Quality. After that, all bets were off. That's certainly been the most impactful event for me personally.

Staying specifically within the X-verse, I'd go with X-tinction Agenda. The promo wanted poster for that event made me sit up and take notice of the X-books. I distinctly remember it hanging on the wall in the back of the shop I worked at for years afterwards with a "not for sale" sign on it.
  • Options
    shanebshaneb Posts: 109
    Along the same lines, is Marvel still the best place for a crossover event? How do they compare to DC crossovers?
  • Options
    Also, what about Original Sin? Is that a worthwhile option? Its new, but I havn't heard the best of things.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    shaneb said:

Also, what about Original Sin? Is that a worthwhile option? Its new, but I havn't heard the best of things.

Mileage may vary. I thought it was good through issue four and after that it started going south.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    shaneb said:

Along the same lines, is Marvel still the best place for a crossover event? How do they compare to DC crossovers?

They seem about the same. Millennium & Armageddon 2001 both continue to top my DC favorite events...as long as I don't read the final issue to either event!

M
  • Options
    shaneb said:

Honestly, it really depends on the crossover. I mainly just stick to the main series and ignore any supplemental material unless it's a direct continuation of events.

This is something I learned the hard way when I strayed from the path of Forever Evil and got lost in the myriad of mini-series and the unreadable Forever Evil: Blight. I found my way back but now Shathra knows where I am and I fear for my life.
  • Options
    I feel like I'm already getting caught up in that. I jumped into Infinity when reading Captain Marvel, and at this point it has taken me several weeks and over $100 just to get the complete reading order. The same is starting to be true for Original Sin.

So I wanted to read Civil War, but I think I'm just going to stick with the main miniseries. Are there any Civil War tie-ins that are a necessity, or just really good?
  • Options
    shaneb said:

I feel like I'm already getting caught up in that. I jumped into Infinity when reading Captain Marvel, and at this point it has taken me several weeks and over $100 just to get the complete reading order. The same is starting to be true for Original Sin.

Have you tried using the Marvel Unlimited app/website? I use it and love it. It's basically Netflix for Marvel comics and they have nearly everything from the last 15 years and a lot of stuff from the previous 40 years. As long as you don't mind reading on a tablet (I use the Nook HD and iPad--works well for both) it's well worth it. It's $70/year or $10/month. They are about 6 months behind the current issue (obviously, you have to pay full price for the comic if you want to be current).

I should clarify that I am all for supporting your local comic shop! But, we all know that the price of comics is rough, especially for the amount I want to read.

• Options
    Yeah, I do some digital on my iPad, but I still have yet to really make a jump. I think I'm still kind of into the novelty of collecting the issues.
  • Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    edited November 2014
    It's still a great supplement. I still buy the Marvel titles I love, but I'm able check out, catch up with even hate-read, guilt free for less than the cost of 3 issues a month.
  • Options
    Did people like Infinity at all? I've collected most of that, but it still seems a little daunting with all of the ti-ins. Any stand out titles?
  • Options
    I thought Inferno was the worst; it was the crossover event that made me swear off X-Men once and for all.

I thoroughly enjoyed Secret Invasion, as well as Civil War and Dark Reign.

For me, though, the favorite is still the first two Secret Wars. The ending to the latter falls flat, but I still liked the event overall.

• Options
    shaneb said:

So I wanted to read Civil War, but I think I'm just going to stick with the main miniseries. Are there any Civil War tie-ins that are a necessity, or just really good?

I remember thinking Front Line was kind of cool but you should be safe just reading the Civil War miniseries.
  • Options

shaneb said:

I remember thinking Front Line was kind of cool but you should be safe just reading the Civil War miniseries.
    I'd add the Iron Man tie-ins. When I first read the series, I thought the side to choose was clear cut. Not so much after the IM tie-ins.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

shaneb said:

I'd add the Iron Man tie-ins. When I first read the series, I thought the side to choose was clear cut. Not so much after the IM tie-ins.

M
    The Spider-man tie-ins aren't essential but they also add a lot of shading to the series. So if you are going to read any tie ins I think it should be those 3: Frontline, Iron Man and Spider-man.
  • Options

Matt said:

shaneb said:

M
    The Spider-man tie-ins aren't essential but they also add a lot of shading to the series. So if you are going to read any tie ins I think it should be those 3: Frontline, Iron Man and Spider-man.
    I concur. Parker is probably the one most effected by Civil War.

M
  • Options
    Evening639Evening639 Posts: 368
    edited November 2014
    Matt said:

Matt said:

shaneb said:

M

M
    I would assume we would all agree that Amazing ties in the heaviest since that was the core book but would you also recommend the Friendly Neighborhood and Sensational issues?

I read all the issues back in the day and remember liking the different approaches each writer took in addressing the consequences of Peter's actions but my memories of individual stories are hazy.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Identity Disc.

:)
  • Options

Matt said:

Matt said:

shaneb said:

M

M
    I would assume we would all agree that Amazing ties in the heaviest since that was the core book but would you also recommend the Friendly Neighborhood and Sensational issues?

I read all the issues back in the day and remember liking the different approaches each writer took in addressing the consequences of Peter's actions but my memories of individual stories are hazy.
    Amazing is the only one I could or would recommend, even outside that story. But Amazing deals most directly with the events depicted in and around the main book. The others are more like side stories and are pretty inconsequential.
  • Options
    What about Black Panther and Heroes for Hire?
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    edited November 2014
    shaneb said:

What about Black Panther and Heroes for Hire?

I enjoyed the Heroes for Hire tie-in. But you don't necessarily need to see it.

Black Panther, I don't remember. Reggie Hudlin could be very hit or miss,
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    edited November 2014
    Black Panther's tie-in had the wedding of Black Panther and Storm. I don't think it had anything overly important.
    Fantastic Four had the Thing in Paris (it's skipable). The New Avengers tie-ins were oneshot focused on a single character. The Thunderbolts tie-in was pretty good. Captain America was good, and it had the end of Civil War. The Wolverine tie-in was basically Wolverine investigating the school explosion (for revenge). Then there are the forgettable Xbooks tie-ins that do not matter at all.

I loved Frontline.

Spiderman was the most important. The Punisher tie-ins actually had a lot to do with the main book (plus it had Punisher acting as a new version of the Scourge, with a visit to the bar with no name).
  • Options
    I'm also in with Civil War, especially for the direction they took Sue Storm, and the silver goes to Secret Invasion. I look back with nostalgia on Secret Wars because I was a kid at the time I first read it, but it was clearly written to sell toys, and it hasn't really aged well.
  • Options
    Whirlwind said:

I'm also in with Civil War, especially for the direction they took Sue Storm, and the silver goes to Secret Invasion. I look back with nostalgia on Secret Wars because I was a kid at the time I first read it, but it was clearly written to sell toys, and it hasn't really aged well.

I really want to lump Secret Invasion into the mix because the premise sounded so awesome...but Bendis was the writer & a 6 issue event became an 8 issue event. Plus, they could've made the invasion date back for (our) decades. It could've "fixed" or redeem characters by blaming it on the switch. Hell, it could've taken care of Parker's Civil War problem.

Alas, it wasn't. It played it safe instead of being brazen. And it was decompressed. Did I mention it could've been 2 issues shorter?

M
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200

I thought Inferno was the worst; it was the crossover event that made me swear off X-Men once and for all.

For me, though, the favorite is still the first two Secret Wars. The ending to the latter falls flat, but I still liked the event overall.

Inferno is what made me drop most of the X-titles. After being disappointed with Fall of the Mutants I was looking for a reason to get out of the X-titles. After Inferno I only kept reading Uncanny.
  • Options
    How accessible are these for new readers? I just started with Infinity, and though I'm not completely lost, I am noticing that I am not getting a lot of things.
  • Options
    Are there any crossovers that are heavy on the darker or Marvel Knights characters? Maybe Moon Knight, Punisher, Black Panther, etc.
  • Options
    Also, are there any that are heavy on Asgard characters or Norse mythology?
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited December 2014
    shaneb said:

Are there any crossovers that are heavy on the darker or Marvel Knights characters? Maybe Moon Knight, Punisher, Black Panther, etc.

There was Shadowland, that focused on Daredevil and the more 'street level' characters...but it was TERRIBLE. Avoid it. Fear it!
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited December 2014
    shaneb said:

Also, are there any that are heavy on Asgard characters or Norse mythology?

There was-- an event that doesn't seem to get much talk anymore that I really liked (well, the ending was a bit of a non-ending, which seems to be how a lot of these roll these days, but I found the story throughout entertaining and good) was The Siege.

This story was a transition between some of the status quo changes from Civil War and Secret Invasion (as those two stories ended up moving a particular character into a surprising position of power and authority) and led into the "Heroic Age", which was really more of a status quo restoration.

But the actual story of The Siege was fun, and relied heavily on Thor and the Asgardians. But I would suggest reading Civil War and Secret Invasion first, if you haven't already.

There are also Fear Itself, which if I remember right (and I don't seem to remember this one very well) doesn't use a lot of Asgardian characters (or maybe it did in tie-ins that I didn't read) but the story is largely motivated by Asgardian objects of power, and the way that these objects join their wielders with Asgardian monsters. Something like that. I remember mostly enjoying it. But I clearly did not retain much of it.