Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

31 Days of Comics

Comments

• Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    David_D said:

I also got behind because i totally had to get my appendix taken out.

I think that I've heard that somewhere before.
  • Options
    Day Fifteen: A Comic That Makes You Smile

Hmmm. I think I'm going to have to go with The Tick. Specifically the first arc.
  • Options
    AxelBrassAxelBrass Posts: 245
    hauberk said:

Hmmm. I think I'm going to have to go with The Tick. Specifically the first arc.

Can't go wrong with The Tick. Those were always hilarious.
  • Options
    Day Fifteen - A Comic That Makes You Smile

Richie Rich. At least, it used to. I haven't read one in 35 years.
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    Day 16 a comic that makes you cry
    Swamp Thing annual 2 "Down amongst the dead men"
    The moment when the Swamp Thing meets the spirit of the man he thought he was and then sees Linda Holland in the distance.
  • Options
    A Comic That Makes You Smile:
    Not 100% about this one but the first one that came to mid was The Life and Death of Captain Marvel. I may change this later but I am going with this for now. A poignant look at Marvel's life to be sure. Perhaps the saddest part was how inevitable his death was and how was helpless to stop it. a great hero such as he deserved a heroic death, to go out in a blaze of glory, not to waste slowly away.
  • Options
    AxelBrass said:

I recently recieved the gift of an old collection from a friend. It included a massive number to Richie Rich titles. I had remembered enjoying a few RR books when I was younger but overall rarely went in for humor books. In this case, there were so many and such a broad range of wealth related titles it sort of acted as an overload of materialism. So I did the only thing I could and sold them all.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Day Sixteen A Comic That Makes You Cry

The Country Nurse (Essex County Trilogy Volume 3) by Jeff Lemire. This book, and especially the very last sequence, was my runner-up for 'Most Beautiful Scene', and almost my choice in a number of the other categories that have come up, but it also definitely fits this one. When suddenly he sees them all, standing around the bed, tapping their sticks? Come on. And I don't even give a damn about hockey. But that totally did it.
  • Options
    hauberk said:

AxelBrass said:

I recently recieved the gift of an old collection from a friend. It included a massive number to Richie Rich titles. I had remembered enjoying a few RR books when I was younger but overall rarely went in for humor books. In this case, there were so many and such a broad range of wealth related titles it sort of acted as an overload of materialism. So I did the only thing I could and sold them all.
    That's hilarious. Gotta fight fire with fire sometimes!
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Day 16 - A Comic the makes you cry

ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN #156-160 - Death of Peter Parker. I've seen what seems like a million deaths in comics. I'm not sure why,this one got to me. Bendis' writing is great.
  • Options
    edited January 2015

I don't think that I can remember a comic that actually moved me to tears. the Emerald Twilight arc in Green Lantern certainly left me feeling very down but that was more because of what they did to Hal Jordan. Zero Hour had a similar effect due to things like Fate, Manhunter and most importantly, the Legion of Super Heroes.

All that said, I think that the two moments that stand out the most are Countdown to Infinite Crisis - Ted Kord dies because none of the other characters think that he's important enough to help him when he asks and the funeral of Sue Dibny in Identity Crisis. Yeah, I know that a lot of people hate Identity Crisis, but if you take out the circumstances that lead up to the funeral and just look at that scene, it's heartwrenching.

Day Seventeen: A Comic That Reminds You of Somebody
    So many choices. I got an awful lot of my early books handed down to me by on uncle. I've already talking about the cache of comics I found at my grandmother's house. All of my comics would get passed between me, my dad and another uncle when I was growing up and I worked in a comic shop for several years. End result is that there are an awful lot of comics I associate with specific people. So, I'm going to go the other way around on this one. We had a sub, Jason, at the shop where I worked who was absolutely awesome. He was just a couple of years older than me and always cheerful, after graduation from U of I, he took a job as an overnight DJ at a local radio station with the radio name of "The Sandman." Ultimately, he moved to Chicago and got involved with improv theater, developed a friendship with Del Close (Wasteland comic and the revival tent preacher from the 80s remake of The Blob, among many other things) prior to Del's death. Ultimately he stayed with improv and had been teaching at one of the schools. I found out about a week ago that he had passed away very suddenly two days prior. So, in honor of Jason, I'm going with Sandman and Wasteland.

Day Eighteen: A Comic That Deserves A Soundtrack
    Lazarus I've got to think that it would end up being some bizarre blend of Vangelis (for most of it) and Iron Maiden. Also, Black Science which would probably be some even stranger blend of Philip Glass, Oingo Boingo (or just Danny Elfman) and some kind of speed metal.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794

Laika.
    If you are a dog-lover of any sort that book will bring a tear to a glass eye.

20th Century Boys.
    I was fortunate to grow up in an era where our parents kicked us out of the house in the morning with orders not to come back until suppertime, and had a group of kids on my block that I palled around with until we all hit junior high and moved on with our lives. Very much like the ending to the movie Stand By Me: "I never had any friends like I did when I was ten years old. Jesus, does anyone?" Thanks for being part of my childhood Dave, Mike, and Shawn.

I'm going with 20th Century Boys again. As many different themes that run through that series, one is that music can be our savior. And it would be an awesome soundtrack...with songs from T-Rex, Slade, Hendrix, probably some AC/DC in there...

Also hope you're okay, Dave...I guess you would be or you wouldn't have typed anything. :)
  • Options
    A Comic That Reminds You Of Someone:
    So many comics that remind me of their creators who I have gotten to know personally over the last few years of convention going and doing my vlog, but not exactly what the category means I suppose. So I am going to have to go with two choices here. The first is Garth Ennis's The Boys the first trade of this title was given to me back in 2007 by a very good friend and it was right about the time I was getting back into comics after being away for about 4 years. I didn't care for it at all at the time and it served to remind me of what I did like about the comics I used to read. I have since come to appreciate The Boys place in the world of comics. The second book is Clone which I will now forever associate with my favorite uncle. He spent the better part of the end of last year here in his hometown, where I currently live, while my grandfather was very ill. It was a tough time for all of us as my grandfather slipped away. I introduced him to the book and he liked it very much. He hadn't read any comics since Spider-Man in the 60's and it was cool to bring him up to speed on the world of modern day comics. I gave him a lot more stuff but it remains to be seen if he will read much else. However, he is a Clone fan for life and I have promised to tell him when the next installment starts.

A Comic That Deserves A Soundtrack:
    The latest Moon Knight series by Marvel would be perfect with a soundtrack. the dark and moody feel of the book would suit some eerie classical organ or perhaps some other suitable classical compositions. This is especially true due to the minimal dialogue in the book and the exceptional and muted coloring of Jordie Bellaire. I may just have to put on some Brahms while I read the next issue to see just how well the book is suited to the music.
  • Options
    Day 17 a comic that reminds me of someone.
    Swamp Thing #5 (1972). My brother gave me this when he was in the hospital. He'd found it in a junk shop and knew I collected Swampy. He never got out of that hospital and a few months later he died. It's worth almost nothing as a collectable and it almost goes without saying that I'll never part with it.

Day 18 a comic that needs a soundtrack.
    The final act of the Alan Moore and Alan Davis Captain Britain run as Cap puts on his uniform to head into battle against the reality shifting mutant Mad Jim Jaspers and the killer cybiote The Fury. Really needs some swelling operatic or film soundtrack music.
  • Options

Back to those darned Micronauts again. Whenever I see one, I think of my mom and grandma. They bought me those toys several birthdays/Christmases in a row.
  • Options
    Day 18 a comic that needs a soundtrack

Guardians of the Galaxy. Of course, it already has one from the movie. I listened to it this morning. :)
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Caliban said:

Swamp Thing #5 (1972). My brother gave me this when he was in the hospital. He'd found it in a junk shop and knew I collected Swampy. He never got out of that hospital and a few months later he died. It's worth almost nothing as a collectable and it almost goes without saying that I'll never part with it.

Wow. I can't imagine a stronger connection to a single comic than that. Thanks for sharing that.
  • Options
    David_D said:

Caliban said:

Wow. I can't imagine a stronger connection to a single comic than that. Thanks for sharing that.
    Agreed. That's powerful stuff @Caliban
  • Options
    Day Eighteen: Comic That You Quote From
    Going to go with Watchman here. There are classic lines by other characters, Spider-Man, Batman, Superman, but no one holds a candle to Rorschach when it comes to unforgettable, classic quotes. "You don’t understand. I’m not trapped in here with you. You’re trapped in here with me" or "Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon".
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    @David_D‌ and @hauberk‌ thanks, guys. 2012 was a rough year. He was in a hospital in Toronto. I live in the UK so we only got across to see him once. His wife had brought in the comic specially for him to present to me.
    Oesophageal canjcer is a largely random and unexpected killer, that's why I'm happy to support events like Jamie's Avengers for Livestrong and other charities.
    But now back to our regularly scheduled talk about the brightly coloured floppies that bring some fun to our lives.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Cerebus
    Now that I'm reaching my own meandering, disappointing third act, Cerebus' meandering, disappointing third act really hits home.

Another very hard one to narrow down.
    I'll say Watchmen, because it came out during the brief, awful marriage of my then-best friends, and we devoured and dissected every nuance of that series together.

Nexus
    Chock full of weird-ass polyglot alien future pop and gloomy orchestral Russian symphonies.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Day Nineteen: Comic That You Quote From
    I've gotta go with the classic Giffen/DeMatteis Justice League on the strength and ubiquity of "Bwa-Ha-Ha" alone. (plus "One punch!" of course.)

Honorable mention to Cerebus: "Avalanche is better than no lanche at all."

And of course, DC Comics Presents #69: "One wrong move and I'll kill the cake!"
  • Options
    edited January 2015

Doctor Zero from the Marvel Shadowline Saga. "I wish, I want, I am... INFINITY" and a favorite "Mankind is like a pet. Sometimes, when it does good it should be rewarded... and sometimes when it does bad."

Currently serving on a grand jury so I've been running around the house quoting Marshal Law and Judge Dredd a fair amount to the kids.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    <
    WetRats said:

I've gotta go with the classic Giffen/DeMatteis Justice League on the strength and ubiquity of "Bwa-Ha-Ha" alone. (plus "One punch!" of course.)
    Honorable mention to Cerebus: "Avalanche is better than no lanche at all."

My quote comes Cerebus too: "Cerebus doesn't have anything against ambition. As long as it doesn't interfere with Cerebus' drinking"
  • Options
    Day 19 a comic that you quote from
    A slight cheat here as I think the line is from the movie, not the comic
    V for Vendetta "People shouldn't be afraid of their government, governments should be afraid of the people."
    As politicians in the UK strip mine national assets like the NHS to sell off to private companies who keep the profitable bits and discard those that lose money, all the while letting the bankers get away with screwing the pooch, I think about those words. Off to the ballot boxes we go in May.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Day Sixteen: A Comic That Makes You Cry - Any issue where Cyclops gets his arse kicked, tears of joy everytime. In all seriousness though I have not yet been brought to tears by a comic. Heartless, I know.

Day Seventeen: A Comic That Reminds You of Somebody - The first Kiss comic. My mom wouldn't let me have but my Uncle Bobby would not stand for it and he got it for me.

Day Eighteen: A Comic That Deserves A Soundtrack - I can name a few. More Than Meets the Eye, which sort of has one as James Roberts posts his playlists from each issue/story arc and there's been some pretty amazing tunes. As huge fan of fantasy and scores from fantasy films, Rate Queens and/or Skullkickers. I imagine a Skullkickers soundtrack would be a meld of LotR, PotC with undertones of Yakety Sax.

Day Nineteen: A Comic That You Quote From - A hearty "Avengers Assemble!" and "It's Clobberin' Time!" are about it.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Day Ten: The Most Beautiful Scene in Any Comic
    The opening of DC :The New Frontier, specifically the death of Johnny Cloud. Some of the best storytelling in comics ever.

Day Eleven: Old Comic You Love
    I have any number of comics I could go to here. To narrow things down, I'm going to limit this to comics that came out before I was born, which I own an original copy of. I could go with an issue of Angel and the Ape, or maybe Aquaman, but I think I'll go with Bat Lash #2. Great story, beautiful artwork.

Day Twelve: A Great Holiday Comic
    Everyone seems to be equating “Holiday” with “Christmas,” but I'm going with a different holiday: The Fourth of July! My pick is a tabloid-sized special I read over and over as a kid: Captain America’s Bicentennial Battles! It’s wild, it’s wacky—it’s Kirby at his most bombastic, and I love it. I own two copies now.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited January 2015
    Day Thirteen: Great Plot Twist
    The revelation of the identity of the killer in Baker Street.

Day Fourteen: A Comic That You Love That You'll Never Read Again
    To be honest, there are a lot of comics I love (or at least like very much) that I’ll probably never read again. With as little time to read as I have these days, and all the new comics coming out I want to read, I just don't have the time to go back and re-read stuff unless it's for research purposes. That being said, I'll go with The Maxx. I really, really enjoyed the book the first couple of years, but then it started to fizzle out a bit. Time may make a liar of me, but I doubt I'll go back and read it again.

I'm going with a series I mentioned earlier: Bandette. The best word to describe this series is joyful. When I read the first volume, I had a huge grin on my face from start to finish (and for a while afterward too).
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    edited January 2015
    Day Nineteen: A Comic That You Quote From

Yotsuba again. The wife and I shoot lines from this book out all the time. Honorable mention to Azuma's other title - Azumanga Daioh - where pretty much everything Osaka says gets repeated as the situation warrants. My wife *is* Osaka...I'm a lucky man. :)

Day Twenty: A Comic With Witty Dialogue

Sex Criminals. Can't believe it took me this long to start reading it.
  • Options
    Day Twenty: A Comic With Witty Dialogue
    Cerebus certainly tops this list.
    Anything by Matt Fraction or Dan Slott certainly qualifies as well.