Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

What's so Great about the DCU anyway?

So I was writing a post before describing my digital comic buying habits and I came to a realization. Very nearly all of the DC purchases I made were of alternate reality non-canon type stories, like Kingdom Come, All-Star Superman and New Frontier. No New 52, no Post Crisis. I watch the movies, the cartoons and the TV shows. But I tend to tune out when people start talking about anything DCU, and beyond the basics (that's comic nerd basic, not general audience basic) I don't really know anything about it. At least not like I know Marvel, which I'll keep apprised of even when I'm unhappy with their quality, and now that I think of it, almost never dabble in anything non-canon.

It's not like I haven't tried, I have at different times read and even enjoyed JLA, Superman, Various Bat-titles, Flash, Blue Beetle, Teen Titans, Green Lantern (which I stuck with by far the longest) and others. Even now, I enjoy Grayson very much. But I can't seem to get invested.

For instance, at one point I was making a real effort to read a bunch of different DC titles, probably 7-8, which was a lot for me. I even got excited about the new weekly event that was happening, 52. But I got to issue 26 and remember thinking I was wasting my money and suddenly my DC was down to just 1-2 titles. Now, years later everyone talks about how amazing it was and I don't get it.

But I think this is a failing on my part. There is something about the DCU I just don't understand and I want to know what gets people excited about it? What got you invested?

Comments

• Options
    Having started with Marvel in the mid-70s, it took awhile before I actually started reading DC Comics. The characters definitely had a different "feel". I'm not sure I can describe it, but Marvel at the time seemed to have more engaging stories and artwork. In hindsight now I realize that sentiment was based more on the titles at Marvel I chose to collect at the time, as they were some of the real classics. DC on the other hand had a real sense of history to their fictional multiverse, even at the time. Their characters were the stalwarts - they'd "been around the block". The main heroes not only knew what they were doing, but had developed relations with parallel world versions of themselves in certain cases, like with the JLA/JSA team ups of that era. Heck, DC even had a solid connection between one of their primary legends - Superman - and the far future with the Legion of Super-Heroes. I think that's why I gravitated towards titles like Superman, Justice League of America, and eventually ones like the New Teen Titans, the All-Star Squadron, and Infinity Inc. What I always loved about the DCU was its vast expanse of historical characters and storylines to draw upon. It also helped at the time (late 1970s) was when the Superfriends animated cartoon had its high point of creativity with the famous "Challenge of" year when the JLA was pitted against the Legion of Doom....that series went a long way towards making those characters beloved by a whole generation of readers, myself included.
  • Options
    It seems like the history is a big factor. The generations of heroes, the legacies... If I wanted to get started with the DCU, in a serious way, where would I start. I've tried CoIE but only made it 2/3rds of the way through issue #1 before realizing I had no idea what was going on.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511

It seems like the history is a big factor. The generations of heroes, the legacies... If I wanted to get started with the DCU, in a serious way, where would I start. I've tried CoIE but only made it 2/3rds of the way through issue #1 before realizing I had no idea what was going on.

I don't get this idea of where would I start? How many people that are currently Dr Who fans started at the beginning? How many soap opera fans or fans of any other long running series? I started M*A*S*H in the middle. Star Trek was something that was in rerun when I started it and probably have never seen series in the order that it aired. New readers should find the Star Wars EU stuff completely impenetrable. X-men would have seen a constant decline in readership as the fans that were there for the beginning of the Claremont run left the hobby or died.

For that matter, what comic fan that got started before the beginning of the direct market didn't miss issues depending upon the whim of the drug store/newsstand?

If the DCU isn't to your taste, it's not to your taste and that's OK. I grew up with a love for characters from both publishers, as well as an assortment of things from Gold Key and the like, but they were whatever issues I got from my uncles or in the three-packs from the Five and Dime - rarely did I land consecutive issues.

Maybe that's just a moment of old-fartedness on my part.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    People will argue orherwise but CoIE is not a great place to start.

What Marvel writers and artists do you enjoy? John Byrne fan? Read his Superman run. Like Mark Waid? Try his Flash.

Sample from creators you already enjoy and I think things will go easier for you.
  • Options
    popestupopestu Posts: 782
    edited February 2015
    DC feels more mythic to me. Even their reboots seem like the start and end of myth cycles. This may be why works like Kingdom Come and The Golden Age work so well.
    Marvel feels more down to earth. The heros come across as more fallible. Their power sets are typically lower than DC. Also, I could see Marvel characters hanging out with normal folk. I've never felt DC characters would mingle well with "the commoners". Of course this is not true of every single character in each universe.

Another way to look at it is this: DC's mascot is Superman - the intergalactic Moses or Christ-figure. Marvel's mascot is Spiderman - the everyman.
  • Options
    hauberk said:

I don't get this idea of where would I start? How many people that are currently Dr Who fans started at the beginning? How many soap opera fans or fans of any other long running series? I started M*A*S*H in the middle. Star Trek was something that was in rerun when I started it and probably have never seen series in the order that it aired. New readers should find the Star Wars EU stuff completely impenetrable. X-men would have seen a constant decline in readership as the fans that were there for the beginning of the Claremont run left the hobby or died.

For that matter, what comic fan that got started before the beginning of the direct market didn't miss issues depending upon the whim of the drug store/newsstand?

If the DCU isn't to your taste, it's not to your taste and that's OK. I grew up with a love for characters from both publishers, as well as an assortment of things from Gold Key and the like, but they were whatever issues I got from my uncles or in the three-packs from the Five and Dime - rarely did I land consecutive issues.

As far as Doctor Who is concerned, many people started with the current series. It's actually a great place to start because it introduces you to the concept and world without overburdening you with continuity and then slowly backed you into it. That's kinda what I'm looking for with DC. I am not one to not just jump into a book. I've just picked up books all the time, the gone back if I thought it was worth it. But reading Batman for 3-4 years or Green lantern for 5-6 never made me want to go read Final Crisis or something big. Something like Multiversity is lost on me. The DCU is so vast and impenetrable for me, not unlike X-men actually, and I feel like I'm missing some key aspect in understanding what is so alluring about it.
    Mr_Cosmic said:

What Marvel writers and artists do you enjoy? John Byrne fan? Read his Superman run. Like Mark Waid? Try his Flash.

Sample from creators you already enjoy and I think things will go easier for you.

I do follow creators. And that's often how I end up reading most DC books to begin with. There are characters like GL and Flash that I like. But none of those have given me reason to explore deeper into the DCU. Like how, separate from the creators, I love the overall history of the Marvel U, the characters, the settings just the overall milieu. I love seeing stories set in the Negative Zone or the Savage Land etc.
  • Options

hauberk said:

As far as Doctor Who is concerned, many people started with the current series. It's actually a great place to start because it introduces you to the concept and world without overburdening you with continuity and then slowly backed you into it. That's kinda what I'm looking for with DC. I am not one to not just jump into a book. I've just picked up books all the time, the gone back if I thought it was worth it. But reading Batman for 3-4 years or Green lantern for 5-6 never made me want to go read Final Crisis or something big. Something like Multiversity is lost on me. The DCU is so vast and impenetrable for me, not unlike X-men actually, and I feel like I'm missing some key aspect in understanding what is so alluring about it.
    Mr_Cosmic said:

I do follow creators. And that's often how I end up reading most DC books to begin with. There are characters like GL and Flash that I like. But none of those have given me reason to explore deeper into the DCU. Like how, separate from the creators, I love the overall history of the Marvel U, the characters, the settings just the overall milieu. I love seeing stories set in the Negative Zone or the Savage Land etc.
    Thanks for clarifying. My own Doctor Who journey started with Tom Baker and went hit or miss through some Colin Baker then back again for the new stuff in the last year or so.

I can't really offer an explanation. Like I said I was multi publisher friendly growing up. Got back into comics in the late 80s with Evolutionary War from Marvel, was briefly a Marvel Zombie (plus Legion) and then a friend loaned me his Crisis books and my love of DC was rekindled.

There are some exceptions but I still would take almost any DC character over any Marvel character.
  • Options
    Personally if you want a feel for DC universe as a whole , you like green lantern and kingdom come ... id say read Geoff Johns JSA, its self contained run in trades that touches and teaches about many aspects of DCU both old and new.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    hauberk said:

My very first X-Men comic was Sinister confronting Cyclops and being being extremely vague, hinting at another Summers brother, and a bunch of other characters I didn't know at the time attacking Cyclops and various other X-Men. And there was something in Japan with people.

I loved it :p
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I've always looked at the two main companies this (admittedly) overly-simplistic way:

DC characters see their powers as a gift. Marvel's characters see their powers as a curse.

Characters like Superman, the Flash, Green Lantern, even darker heroes like Batman, see their powers as a way to help humanity, do good deeds, and fight for justice. Characters like Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, and pretty much every X-Person also do good deeds, but it seems to be in spite of their having powers.

Both concepts work, and I enjoy books from both companies. But it's kind of telling when DC tries to be Marvel (New 52) how it really doesn't work that well. Of course there's exceptions to this idea, but it's how I've always viewed them.

As to long, convoluted histories? That's why the back-issue 50 cent bin and Showcase/Essential editions were created! :)
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Torchsong said:

I've always looked at the two main companies this (admittedly) overly-simplistic way:

DC characters see their powers as a gift. Marvel's characters see their powers as a curse.

The (wonderful) JLA/Avengers miniseries really does a nice job of showing this dichotomy.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    This is an easy question to answer:

DC is not so great

It's not that I believe that statement, but I've always felt if you need someone to convince you about something (a book, movie, job, engagement, etc.), then it's probably not for you.

M
  • Options
    WetRats said:

The (wonderful) JLA/Avengers miniseries really does a nice job of showing this dichotomy.

Serious question: Is the "wonderful" thing sarcasm, or no?

• Options
    Matt said:

DC is not so great

It's not that I believe that statement, but I've always felt if you need someone to convince you about something (a book, movie, job, engagement, etc.), then it's probably not for you.

M

When I was in high school I had to read To Kill A Mockingbird. I haaaaaated it. Then I moved and I had to read it again and haaaaaated it. Then in a college course I had to read it a third time. I was furious. This book would not leave me alone. But something was different this time and I suddenly understood why it was one of the Great American Novels. I was surprised by how much I loved it. I thought it wasn't for me, but in reality I lacked the understanding and perspective to appreciate it.

I have taken the idea that it's just "not for me" for granted for years. That may still be true. But listening to Pants get into Marvel over the last 18 months or so, and listening to and reading the excitement over Convergence or Multiversity makes me wonder if I'm maybe missing out on DC.

I'm not trying to be convinced, I want to know more about what people like about the DCU mythology, as a relative outsider. Not comparative to the MU, just objectively, why do you go back to this universe and it's stories?
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794

Matt said:

I'm not trying to be convinced, I want to know more about what people like about the DCU mythology, as a relative outsider. Not comparative to the MU, just objectively, why do you go back to this universe and it's stories?

Characters. They have the ones I really enjoy reading about. Superman. Supergirl. Batman. Batgirl. Batwoman. Robin. Starfire. Raven. Beast Boy. The Flash. Kid Flash. Impulse. Jonah Hex. Swamp Thing. Animal Man. Power Girl. Captain Marvel. His sister, Mary. Their friend, Junior. Green Arrow. Black Canary. The Entire Suicide Squad. Shadowpact. The Justice League. Justice Society. Wonder Woman. Wonder Girl. Zatanna.

Ultimately that's what draws me into it every time. I love their characters.

• Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

Matt said:

DC is not so great

M

When I was in high school I had to read To Kill A Mockingbird. I haaaaaated it. Then I moved and I had to read it again and haaaaaated it. Then in a college course I had to read it a third time. I was furious. This book would not leave me alone. But something was different this time and I suddenly understood why it was one of the Great American Novels. I was surprised by how much I loved it. I thought it wasn't for me, but in reality I lacked the understanding and perspective to appreciate it.

I have taken the idea that it's just "not for me" for granted for years. That may still be true. But listening to Pants get into Marvel over the last 18 months or so, and listening to and reading the excitement over Convergence or Multiversity makes me wonder if I'm maybe missing out on DC.

Being told I have to read specific books never went over well with me. Even back in school.

I haven't read DC (aside from the #1s for n52) since Fall 2006. There are only 2 DC characters I find consistently interesting: Batman & Lex (primarily Batman.) when I lost interest in Batman with the new direction, I lost interest in DC. I haven't looked back.

Now, when I first picked up Marvel's GIJoe series in trades, it followed the release of the first movie. I started researching some of the characters, which grew interest. Then, I picked up the trades.

I normally pick something new up after I hear one thing in passing that sparks an interest. I use Wikipedia & Google to get some more background, then decide to pursue it or not.

M
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586

WetRats said:

Pretty sure it's not sarcasm. The comic did a good job laying out the differences and celebrating the strengths.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

WetRats said:

Definitely not!
  • Options
    Thanks. I've never read it. Will keep my eyes peeled for it on the eBays.
  • Options
    I think I've found an in. I started reading Bronze Age Suicide Squad and it's already led me to JLI and The Outsiders.
  • Options
    deadpool said:

Personally if you want a feel for DC universe as a whole , you like green lantern and kingdom come ... id say read Geoff Johns JSA, its self contained run in trades that touches and teaches about many aspects of DCU both old and new.

Exactly what I would suggest. If I could name ONE comic from "recent" years that embody what makes DC special, and different from Marvel, this book is it.

The JSA is a family, and is deeply rooted in the traditions and legacy of the DCU. And, more often than not, it's happy.

Unlike today.
  • Options

I think I've found an in. I started reading Bronze Age Suicide Squad and it's already led me to JLI and The Outsiders.

You know, someone should do a Suicide Squad podcast.
  • Options
    Tonebone said:

deadpool said:

Exactly what I would suggest. If I could name ONE comic from "recent" years that embody what makes DC special, and different from Marvel, this book is it.

The JSA is a family, and is deeply rooted in the traditions and legacy of the DCU. And, more often than not, it's happy.

Unlike today.
    I am currently getting the Justice Society of America/Kingdom Come saga in floppies (Alex Ross covers, of course). I couldn't believe how much I enjoyed this series and The JSA, before it.
  • Options

Oh man, I feel old now...1987 - 1991 is considered Bronze age? Geez...
  • Options
    Tonebone said:

deadpool said:

Unlike today.
    Every time DC wants to do a big "We're modern!" thing, they get rid of the Justice Society.
    They had Roy Thomas do it, when they brought it back in the early 90's, they canceled it before the first issue came out, and they are doing it now (the Earth 2 JSA just didn't work for me....sorry).

The good thing is, they keep coming back.
  • Options

Ha, sorry I meant Copper Age I guess.
  • Options

So, being a metallurgy nerd for a moment, shouldn't the copper age predate the bronze age give that bronze is a copper alloy?

... reflecting for a moment, between last weeks swimming nerd and this weeks metallurgy nerd, I may just be a multifaceted nerd. Multi-nodal nerd? Multi-nerdal?
  • Options
    hauberk said:

So, being a metallurgy nerd for a moment, shouldn't the copper age predate the bronze age give that bronze is a copper alloy?

... reflecting for a moment, between last weeks swimming nerd and this weeks metallurgy nerd, I may just be a multifaceted nerd. Multi-nodal nerd? Multi-nerdal?
    Nerdilogical nerd?
  • Options
  • Options

Tonebone said:

deadpool said:

Unlike today.
    Every time DC wants to do a big "We're modern!" thing, they get rid of the Justice Society.
    They had Roy Thomas do it, when they brought it back in the early 90's, they canceled it before the first issue came out, and they are doing it now (the Earth 2 JSA just didn't work for me....sorry).

The good thing is, they keep coming back.
    Yeah... I appreciate what Earth 2 was trying to accomplish, but it was just as devoid of life, love, and humor as the rest of the Nu52. All violence, action, and darkness with no light. It reminded me more than a little of the Supreme Power stuff by JMS... nice as an experiment, but it really weighs you down, after a while.