Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Comments

• Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Well I'm happy he can be folded into the MCU, unfortunately I heard Black Panther got pushed back a year
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    A great day indeed.

Matthew
  • Options
    DAR said:

Well I'm happy he can be folded into the MCU, unfortunately I heard Black Panther got pushed back a year

Six months. All the MCU movies starting with BP, except for Avengers got pushed down the line one release spot.

But it's worth it, just to see Spidey web Tony Stark in the face, then get a tiny nod of approval from Cap.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    I know someone who's going to crack open a Evian tonight...
    http://youtu.be/Dlf1_vuIR4I
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    This is great news. I'd be happy with a years delay to make sure Civil War (I assume that's the movie he'll be in) is done right.
  • Options
    luke52 said:

This is great news. I'd be happy with a years delay to make sure Civil War (I assume that's the movie he'll be in) is done right.

Civil War starts filming in about 2 months, so I don't think they could delay it even if they wanted to. I doubt they'd need to. From what I've read, Marvel suposedly had 2 versions of the Civil War script in anticipation of a possible Sony deal. One with Spidey featured heavily and one without him. If this is indeed true, they're already prepared for his inclusion.
  • Options
    Wow!

I don't know the specifics of the deal, but who else falls under the "Spider-Man/Sony umbrella" that Marvel might also potentially be able to incorporate?
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Now, if only FOX Studios would play nice...
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

Doubtful. The X-Men franchise has been able to bounce back since X3 & Origins, so I don't believe they're desperate enough to align with MCU.

M
  • Options

Wow!

I don't know the specifics of the deal, but who else falls under the "Spider-Man/Sony umbrella" that Marvel might also potentially be able to incorporate?

Norman Osborn springs to mind. Maybe the Hood as well, if they want to incorporate him into some of the later Netflix stories as a rival for Kingpin.
  • Options
    kgforcekgforce Posts: 326
    We probably owe this is some part to Seth Rogen & James Franco for "The Interview". Seems like Sony is in shambles right now and this was just about the only way to get the Spider-Man franchise back on track.
  • Options
    "Under the deal, the new Spider-Man will first appear in a Marvel film from Marvel's Cinematic Universe (MCU). Sony Pictures will thereafter release the next installment of its $4 billion Spider-Man franchise, on July 28, 2017, in a film that will be co-produced by Kevin Feige and his expert team at Marvel and Amy Pascal, who oversaw the franchise launch for the studio 13 years ago. Together, they will collaborate on a new creative direction for the web slinger. Sony Pictures will continue to finance, distribute, own and have final creative control of the Spider-Man films."
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    At the end of the day, I'm not all that impacted by this one way or another. I've never been a Spider-Man fan. I get that this is important for Civil War, but even with regard to that, I was more excited by the initial tease that it was going to be Serpent Society.
  • Options
    tazmaniak said:

luke52 said:

Civil War starts filming in about 2 months, so I don't think they could delay it even if they wanted to. I doubt they'd need to. From what I've read, Marvel suposedly had 2 versions of the Civil War script in anticipation of a possible Sony deal. One with Spidey featured heavily and one without him. If this is indeed true, they're already prepared for his inclusion.
    I'd like to know who they were going to unmask if this deal didn't happen...
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820

Matt said:

Doubtful. The X-Men franchise has been able to bounce back since X3 & Origins, so I don't believe they're desperate enough to align with MCU.

M
    That's funny, because the first "Fox" franchise I thought of was Fantastic Four.
  • Options
    luke52 said:

tazmaniak said:

luke52 said:

Good point... As far as the Avengers team goes (as it currently stands) there are no masked vigilante-types that the public doesn't know who they are, right? I guess some of the new, to the MCU, characters that are coming in Age of Ultron could have secret identities.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    edited February 2015
    luke52 said:

tazmaniak said:

luke52 said:

We still don't know if unmasking or the Registration Act have anything to do with it.

Fallout from Stark's Ultron debacle is more likely to be the cause of the rift.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    rebis said:

Matt said:

M
    That's funny, because the first "Fox" franchise I thought of was Fantastic Four.
    Me, too.

I have no interest in seeing the MCU cluttered up with X-characters.

On the other hand, I'd love to see a properly-conceived Doctor Doom tangling with the Avengers. (Hell, I'd like to see Agents of SHIELD having to deal with "Latverian problems."
  • Options
    WetRats said:

luke52 said:

tazmaniak said:

luke52 said:

We still don't know if unmasking or the Registration Act have anything to do with it.

Good point. If that's the case who's to say Spideys first appearance will be in Civil War. No where has it been said that that movie will be his first appearance.
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    http://comicbook.com/2015/02/10/new-marvel-studios-release-schedule-with-spider-man-included/

The next solo Amazing Spider-Man movie will claim the release date of July 28, 2017, which was previously reserved for Thor: Ragnarok.

With Spider-Man taking Thor’s spot, Thor: Ragnarok is being shuffled back creating a domino effect of several other films being moved back as well. Below we’ve listed the new Marvel/Sony release schedule with Spider-Man included.

Captain America: Civil War – May 6, 2016
    Doctor Strange – November 4, 2016
    Guardians of the Galaxy 2 – May 5, 2017
    Spider-Man – July 28, 2017
    Thor: Ragnarok – November 3, 2017
    Avengers: Infinity War Part 1 – May 4, 2018
    Black Panther – July 6, 2018
    Captain Marvel – November 2, 2018
    Avengers: Infinity War Part 2 – May 3, 2019
    Inhumans – July 12, 2019

Matthew
  • Options

Wow!

Offhand? Black Cat, Venom... Punisher?
  • Options
    Thanks @Chuck_Melville. Didn't realize The Punisher would fall under that. Of course, it also opens up all of his villains, which could be cool. Ooooo ... maybe SHIELD agent Jessica Drew?
  • Options
    rebis said:

Matt said:

M
    That franchise is dead to me right now!!

M
  • Options
    I know it's still fresh news, but no indication if this is a reboot, correct? I did not care for Garfield as Parker/Spider-man. I am hoping for a new actor cast in the role.

Also, they should stay away from doing another Spider-man character (i.e. Morales.)

M
  • Options

Thanks @Chuck_Melville. Didn't realize The Punisher would fall under that. Of course, it also opens up all of his villains, which could be cool. Ooooo ... maybe SHIELD agent Jessica Drew?

Marvel actually already holds the film rights to The Punisher. He is not part of the Spider-Man license, but his own license. The Punisher was previously at Lionsgate (who made the 2 recent films), but was returned to Marvel about 4 years ago.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    WetRats said:

Far more than Spider-Man, I want to see J. Jonah Jameson in the MCU.

Played by J.K. Simmons.

And all God's children said?

Amen!

• Options
    Matt said:

I know it's still fresh news, but no indication if this is a reboot, correct? I did not care for Garfield as Parker/Spider-man. I am hoping for a new actor cast in the role.

Also, they should stay away from doing another Spider-man character (i.e. Morales.)

M

What I think they're going to do is a soft reboot ala "The Incredible Hulk." What happened before happened, but it doesn't need to be overly referenced. There sure as heck isn't going to be a third origin story on the horizon, that's almost 100% certain.
  • Options
    luke52 said:

WetRats said:

luke52 said:

tazmaniak said:

luke52 said:

Good point. If that's the case who's to say Spideys first appearance will be in Civil War. No where has it been said that that movie will be his first appearance.
    They announced Spidey will appear in an MCU movie before his own. That leaves Civil War, Dr Strange and Guardians 2. I can't see them undermining Dr Strange with a Spidey cameo. And James Gunn likes to pretend his Guardians movies don't exist in the MCU, not that it would make sense anyway.
  • Options
    tazmaniak said:

Marvel actually already holds the film rights to The Punisher. He is not part of the Spider-Man license, but his own license. The Punisher was previously at Lionsgate (who made the 2 recent films), but was returned to Marvel about 4 years ago.
    Yeah, I wasn't sure about the Punisher... which was why I dangled a question mark there.