Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Netflix/Streaming/TV--- Whatcha watching?

Comments

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

WetRats said:

Longmire season 3 is finally up!

2nd'd! Only 10 episodes though. Gotta pace myself.
    I was unable to.

Two night binge.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Where do you find the time my friend?
  • Options

Where do you find the time my friend?

My life is currently in abeyance.
  • Options
    Then I suppose this may be a good season for catching up on any unread trades and floppies. I wonder if I'll ever get all mine read. Much less clear my Netflix queue.
    Make the most of it!
  • Options
    SteevenSteeven Posts: 215
    I'm nearly finished with A Different World, and will then move on to Season 3 of Longmire, can't wait!
  • Options
    popestupopestu Posts: 782
    Steeven said:

I'm nearly finished with A Different World, and will then move on to Season 3 of Longmire, can't wait!

How funny. My wife is nearly done with this. I laughed when I came home and she had it on. She will feel vindicated when I share that I met someone else who enjoys this show also.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Have about 4 episodes left of season 2 of Orange is the New Black. Good stuff
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    edited May 2015
    I was wondering what I was going to fill the post-Daredevil streaming TV void with, then I discovered Hulu has every Emma Peel episode of The Avengers, the complete run of Battle of the Planets, and the complete run of the original Japanese series Science Ninja Team Gatchaman that BotP was cobbled together from (along with the 90s Gatchaman OVAs and apparently loosely-connected recent reboot Gatchaman Crowds).

That's my summer sorted!
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Finished Breaking Bad yesterday. Five series in two months. Such a great show. Straight onto Better Call Saul now.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Rocket City Rednecks. Frighteningly awesome build show featuring science and a really terrific slogan - "Safety Third!". Heard them interviewing the star of the show on Star Talk Radio recently and had to take a look.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Decided to start Mad Men a day after the series finale. Gotta keep up with cultural zeitgeist
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    DAR said:

Decided to start Mad Men a day after the series finale. Gotta keep up with cultural zeitgeist

A fine show. I envy you that you have all seven sessions to discover for the first time. Hope you enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    I watched the first season of Mad Men and found it to be glacial. I actually found the special features on the DVD disc about recreating the '60's, to be much more interesting than the show itself. It just wasn't for me.

Currently, I'm watching the fourth season of New Tricks.
  • Options

Currently, I'm watching the fourth season of New Tricks.

I just looked that up: looks good.

I'll probably check it out when I need a break from 30 Rock, which I just started.
  • Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    edited May 2015
    DAR said:

Well I'm up to season 5 of Cheers, hoping to catch up before the finale.
  • Options
    DAR said:

Speaking of Mad Men, I'd love to see this as a real comic...

From Dan Panosian urban-barbarian.deviantart.com
    heavymetal.com/news/the-mad-men-comic-book-that-never-was-10-pictures-by-dan-panosian/

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    I finally got around to watching Muscle Shoals tonight, and I have to say I was a little disappointed with it. There were some great parts to it, particularly in the first half, but it wasn't quite as thorough as I was expecting and could have used a tighter edit. I give it a B-.

I also watched What Happened, Miss Simone?, the doc on Nina Simone, and it was fantastic. A+. Highly recommended.
  • Options
    DmanDman Posts: 163

I also watched What Happened, Miss Simone?, the doc on Nina Simone, and it was fantastic. A+. Highly recommended.

I second that nweathington! What Happened, Miss Simone was great. I was captivated from beginning to end. A+ definitely!
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Watching Freaks & Geeks with the daughter, Always Sunny in Philadelphia with the boy, Criminial Minds with the missus and trying to get as much Star Trek in as I can.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Started watching The X Files. I was a teen in the 90s but never really latched on to the show. I normally like shows like this so I decided to give it another chance...

Whoooo boy is this show bad. Granted I'm only half way through season 2 but it's boarder line unwatchable. The acting is terrible and you can tell the budget is next to nothing.

• Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Started watching The X Files. I was a teen in the 90s but never really latched on to the show. I normally like shows like this so I decided to give it another chance...

Whoooo boy is this show bad. Granted I'm only half way through season 2 but it's boarder line unwatchable. The acting is terrible and you can tell the budget is next to nothing.

If you threw out the first season and boiled down the rest to just the funny episodes (there were usually two or three each season), you'd have a very good show. As is, it's pretty hit or miss, though on the whole it gets better in seasons 3-7.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200

Mr_Cosmic said:

If you threw out the first season and boiled down the rest to just the funny episodes (there were usually two or three each season), you'd have a very good show. As is, it's pretty hit or miss, though on the whole it gets better in seasons 3-7.
    One episode I remember watching when it first aired was Jose Chung's From Outer Space. A real fun episode with Charles Nelson Reilly, Jesse Ventura, and Alex Trebek as guest stars. If every episode was like this one the show would be amazing.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    You guys must have been watching a different X-Files then me, 'cause I was hooked on it in a big way. I've got the entire series and the first movie on DVD (plus the Lone Gunmen series) and pull it out for a binge every so often. My only complaint was that the series usually tended to slow down whenever they veered away from the Conspiracy storylines.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613

You guys must have been watching a different X-Files then me, 'cause I was hooked on it in a big way. I've got the entire series and the first movie on DVD (plus the Lone Gunmen series) and pull it out for a binge every so often. My only complaint was that the series usually tended to slow down whenever they veered away from the Conspiracy storylines.

I got that amazon deal of The day too.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    Just finished agents of shield season 2. I kinda liked it better than season 1.
  • Options
    Evening639Evening639 Posts: 368

I agree. I was hooked almost from the beginning. I do have to admit, though, that Season 8 and 9 were kind of blah.

I think that mainly comes from what I now refer to as "Supernatural Syndrome". The writers pretty much had the show ready to wrap up at the end of Season 7 and the conspiracy just had nowhere left to go, so continuing that plot thread just led to weekly shark-jumping.

My favorite supporting character was always Krycek. I'll watch anything with Nicholas Lea in.
  • Options

I'm looking forward to this one.

How much do they deal with her childhood in Tryon, NC?
  • Options
    WetRats said:

There wasn't much detail outside of why she started playing piano and how she got noticed and sponsored. I got the impression that she didn't like talking about that time period or her family. But I may be reading into it somewhat. Listening to the way she talks, I've long thought she was ashamed or embarrassed to have come from the rural South.
  • Options

WetRats said:

There wasn't much detail outside of why she started playing piano and how she got noticed and sponsored. I got the impression that she didn't like talking about that time period or her family. But I may be reading into it somewhat. Listening to the way she talks, I've long thought she was ashamed or embarrassed to have come from the rural South.
    Not ashamed or embarassed.

Furious.

She freaking hated Tryon.

They treated her like garbage.*

Of course as soon as she died, the town commissioned a statue of her.

*i.e. the same way they treat their entire black population... Don't get me started.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

WetRats said:

Not ashamed or embarassed.

Furious.

She freaking hated Tryon.

They treated her like garbage.*

Of course as soon as she died, the town commissioned a statue of her.

*i.e. the same way they treat their entire black population... Don't get me started.
    Well, yes, there is definitely anger when she talks about being from (literally) the wrong side of the tracks. She also mentions, but doesn't go into, how she didn't really feel like part of the black community of Tryon either once she got into her teens and became focused on the piano—like she was stuck somewhere in the middle, apart from both. But the way she talked about her childhood, and the way it was covered in the doc, she really could have been from any town in the South. They didn't get into anything specifically about Tryon.

When I say, “listening to the way she talks,” I'm referring specifically to her articulation and speech patterns. It sounds to me like she purposefully removed any trace of a Southern accent so as not to come across as uneducated and unsophisticated. I wish there was audio of her as a teenager before moving to New York.

There's another doc on her coming out later this year called The Amazing Nina Simone, and I'll be interested in comparing the two. It looks like this one will spend more time on her childhood. And her brother Sam was heavily involved in it, as opposed to What Happened, on which her daughter was executive producer. Sam was barely referred to in What Happened, which is kind of weird, because 1) he was her brother, and 2) he played in her band for many years. I wonder if it was simply a money thing, or if there is a family rift there.