Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Best Bad Moments in Comic

I've been reading a lot of Bronze Age stuff and I came across Iron Man #72 recently. In this issue Tony abandons the girl he loves, who he has completely lost track of (which in itself is hilarious because 2 issues later you find out he gave her a tracker) in the jungles of Vietnam to go to... San Diego Comic Con!

I laughed out loud at the premise of this story alone, but the issue is so hilariously bad (Tony is in San Diego on a business emergency that is never explained, once it's dealt with he doesn't fly straight back to Vietnam, but decides that nightlife bores him now and he's looking for something different. And of course there are supervillians trying to steal an expensive issue of Purple Pig, and I could go on) that it got me thinking, what are everyone's favorite no good very bad terrible moments from comics.

Comments

• Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    Winner, winner, chicken dinner?

• Options
    Evening639Evening639 Posts: 368
    When asked about my favorite "bad moment in comics", I often go back to Web Of Spider-Man #34. In the issue, Spider-Man unknowingly saves The Watcher's life (not to mention the rest of the galaxy) by helping a group of young kids win a game of football against a group of older kids. If you're interested in reading a detailed synopsis of the issue, there's one here:

http://www.spiderfan.org/comics/reviews/spiderman_web/034.html

I will give this issue some credit, though. At least it's a stupid Watcher story that's somewhat amusing unlike Original Sin which is a stupid Watcher story that's just depressing.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    1) Spider-Man had a Spider-Buggy that could drive up the side of buildings.
    2) Superman had a pet T-Rex in the Fortress of Solitude.
    3) Jericho's outfit from The New Teen Titans.
    4) When The Punisher became an Avenging Zombie Angel or something
    5) Johnny Storm referred to Zsasji (or whatever her name was) as a "Chippee" in Secret Wars. 23-Skiddoo there, Johnny boy!

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    edited June 2015
    Superman's Superplane with the extendable Superfists!

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Superman's kneepads and armor.

Just as silly as the plane.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
  • Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    This is a frequent weird moment from the Golden and Silver Ages: heroes in full costume sitting around the table, talking about budgets or sales projections or something. It reminds me of Halloween in elementary school, when you dressed as Batman but you still had to go math class just like a normal day.

• Options
    hornheadhornhead Posts: 137
    I'm a big fan of rock music history and at the risk of becoming "that guy that only posts about Daredevil"- honestly, I like a lot of other stuff- I will nominate Daredevil #100.

Daredevil returns to San Francisco, and pilots a plane to get there. Because, of course a blind man could do that with no flight training. That radar sense must really be something. After taking out a few goons he discovers that their intended robbery victim is Jann Wenner (EIC of Rolling Stone magazine). DD gives the magazine an exclusive interview but then discovers that the citizens of San Francisco are collectively suffering from a sort of mass-amnesia.

All in all a bizarre issue. Uri Geller was in a DD comic too and that one probably also qualifies.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    WetRats said:

Superman's kneepads and armor.

Just as silly as the plane.

The kneepads are actually pretty important when you think about how much that looks blows. Jim Lee was being meta.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Batman slaps Robin in the face!

From an “imaginary story” in World’s Finest Comics #153 where Batman thinks that Superman killed his father and Bruce Wayne has devoted his life toward avenging his father. This murder is the reason for him becoming a detective and becoming the Batman. When Robin discovers this, he accuses Batman of being obsessed. Bruce's response?

He slaps Robin in the face... and a million memes were born.
  • Options
    popestupopestu Posts: 782
    edited June 2015

"AND IF THE KRYPTONITE SHOULD DESTROY HIM--WELL THAT'S HIS TOUGH LUCK!"

I love that the thugs can identify Kryptonite by sight from a moving vehicle.

How long did they have to stand in one location with a 'cattlepult' until Superman came by and lingered in just the right spot for them?
  • Options
    Evening639Evening639 Posts: 368
    edited June 2015

... and a million memes were born.

The most popular of which being All Star Batman & Robin.

*rimshot*

Good night, everybody.

• Options
    popestu said:

How long did they have to stand in one location with a 'cattlepult' until Superman came by and lingered in just the right spot for them?

I'm more impressed they were able to get a catapult on such short notice. Do you think it's rented?
  • Options
    popestupopestu Posts: 782

popestu said:

I'm more impressed they were able to get a catapult on such short notice. Do you think it's rented?
    No. They got the Acme phone number from Wile E. Coyote.