Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Post-Convergence DC Universe: New #1s, Relaunches, Predictions, and Hopes

13»

Comments

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    David_D said:

I do like the idea of, instead of always looking to the new generation to modernize the old characters, you can also go to the still-working prior stewards (and in some cases, creators) of these characters with that same brief.

Yes.

'Tis a very good thing.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    luke52 said:

Len Wein back on Swamp Thing!!! IN IN IN!

And on a new Metal Men series!

My poor wallet!

Here's hoping they hold the line at $2.99 for these minis. I know that competitive price point has made me much more apt to give some of the recent #1s a try.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    David_D said:

luke52 said:

Len Wein back on Swamp Thing!!! IN IN IN!

And on a new Metal Men series!

My poor wallet!

Here's hoping they hold the line at $2.99 for these minis. I know that competitive price point has made me much more apt to give some of the recent #1s a try.
    For sure. There are several I'd give a go if they stay at $2.99. Poison Ivy for one.

It's nice to see DC going in the right direction for a change. Or attempting to anyway.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Constantine: The Hellblazer 1 and 2

John Constantine is one of the few characters who I will give anything he is in a try. Now, I won't pretend I wasn't disappointed when Hellblazer ended it's long run at Vertigo. Sure, it had ups and downs, and towards the end more downs than ups, but I had been enjoying the old and craggy, aging in real-time John Constantine for a long time. And the Justice League Dark, supernatural superhero version that I got in the first issue of the New 52 Constantine was enough to know that was not for me.

I wanted to give this new take a chance, though, and I'm glad I did. I dig it. I like that, in the first two issues, Doyle/Tynion and Rossimo don't talk past the sale. We don't have to get all of John's catch-phrases at once, or have all of his history dumped on us right away. I feel like these first two issues enjoy who John is, and let us do so, too. And we'll get filled in as we go.

Sure, there is a throwaway reference to superheroes. I know that this book is in the DCU (when, I would argue, despite visits from a few DCU characters, and one or two oblique references, the original Hellblazer was not set in the DCU, and actually did not need to change at all when it transitioned from being a DC book to a Vertigo one) but what I like so far with this new volume, at least to judge from the first two issues, and where #3 seems to be heading, they are trusting this book to stand on its own. No guest stars yet. No 'let's watch John get in the face of Superman won't that be funny'. None of that. He's got his own tone and place in the underbelly of the street magic of this world, and that is enough.

So, I'm in. I hope it stays this good.
  • Options
    Martian Manhunter 1

Another strong start. I've always liked the character, and I have enjoyed work from Williams and Barrows in the past, so this was another one-- especially at $3-- that was easy to talk myself into trying.

Like Constantine and Midnighter, I like how confidently and distinctly this book starts from the rest of the DCU. In general, I like solo books to feel like they can really stand on their own, even in cases where a character might be associated with other titles, or on other teams. Let it be its own thing, as if it is the only book in the world that has this character. From the first issue, this feels like that. J'onn has got his own stuff going on, and feels very alien to the DCU. I feel like, when this issue uses the well-worn set piece of saving a commercial airline flight-- sort of a strong, flying hero 101 scene-- the much weirder way he goes about doing it, and the reactions of some of the people he has saved, is a nice way of reminding us, despite his power set, he is NOT Superman, was a skillful way to do it. And there is some nice, creepy stuff with the various other kinds of invading Martians showing up.

I feel like a number of creators- in comic and film- have tried to go heavy into the 'He's so alien! He's not like us! He is alienated from humanity!' angle with Superman stories. And that usually doesn't work for me, for that character. It DOES work for J'onn.

Glad I tried this one. Will stick with it awhile.

Well, I will give the current DC relaunch this: I was reading one ongoing (Batman). In the last month I have added three more.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    edited July 2015
    I'm out on Martian Manhunter. I dont like Rob Williams' comics. He wrote that terrible girl ghost rider series. Maybe he's improved but right now I'm passing

This is one of the first of the new titles I know I'm out on.
  • Options
    mphilmphil Posts: 448
    Metamorpho mini, take my money
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    If Convergence: Shazam has been my favorite comic of the year so far, I think Bizarro is a very close second. Two disparate but wacky characters on a road trip is a formula that works, and these two characters are well-suited for this kind of book. Jimmy Olsen has had enough weird adventures throughout his publishing history that he works as well in full-on comedy as he does in weird action stories, and funny Bizarro is always preferably to misunderstood sad sack Bizarro. Plus, Colin the Chupacabra.

Starfire has been a pleasant surprise, even though I had already expected decent things. After bland, angry, personality-less sexbot Starfire at the start of the New 52, this version has been a breath of fresh air... still very open and physical and free, but also sweet and loving and just plain likable. Really, she's the perfect midpoint between 80s Starfire and animated Starfire. I like the off-the-usual-comics-path setting of Key West, too, and the supporting cast is likeable.

Not generally a fan of horror in general or Hellblazer in particular, but I picked up Constantine: the Hellblazer on a whim mostly for Riley Rossmo's artwork and the fact that Ming Doyle is talented and local-ish, but I'm really digging it so far. The artwork is surreal and just moody enough, and I like the characterization of John Constantine, whom I've never been able to cotton to before but something about this works.

Doctor Fate was a bit of a disappointment. I like the concept and I thought Sonny Liew was an awesomely offbeat choice for a superhero book (even a magicky superhero), but something about the story and the characterizations didn't click with me. Hoping things pick up with issue #2.

Bat-Mite just didn't do it for me. I just didn't find it particularly funny and found this version of the Mite himself to be sort of annoying. Which is funny because I thought I'd dig this book and be kind of bored by Bizarro. Go figure.

Omega Men was something I wanted to like a lot but it didn't click for me. I know the mostly untranslated alien language was supposed to cause a sense of disconnect and confusion, but maybe it worked too well? I dunno... will probably give it a second chance when it's collected.

Prez didn't really click, either. Political satire works best when it's subtle, I think, and there was nothing subtle here. Artwork was nice, though.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

If Convergence: Shazam has been my favorite comic of the year so far, I think Bizarro is a very close second. Two disparate but wacky characters on a road trip is a formula that works, and these two characters are well-suited for this kind of book. Jimmy Olsen has had enough weird adventures throughout his publishing history that he works as well in full-on comedy as he does in weird action stories, and funny Bizarro is always preferably to misunderstood sad sack Bizarro. Plus, Colin the Chupacabra.

Starfire has been a pleasant surprise, even though I had already expected decent things. After bland, angry, personality-less sexbot Starfire at the start of the New 52, this version has been a breath of fresh air... still very open and physical and free, but also sweet and loving and just plain likable. Really, she's the perfect midpoint between 80s Starfire and animated Starfire. I like the off-the-usual-comics-path setting of Key West, too, and the supporting cast is likeable.

Not generally a fan of horror in general or Hellblazer in particular, but I picked up Constantine: the Hellblazer on a whim mostly for Riley Rossmo's artwork and the fact that Ming Doyle is talented and local-ish, but I'm really digging it so far. The artwork is surreal and just moody enough, and I like the characterization of John Constantine, whom I've never been able to cotton to before but something about this works.

Agree about the Shazam. It was awesome
    Bizarro was not for me.
    Starfire seems like a remake of Harley Quinn for some reason
    I don't even recognize this version of Constantine.
    Agree with you on the rest.
  • Options

Is the resounding success of Harley Quinn not reason enough?
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Not for someone that doesn't have a crush on the tart, no.

• Options

WetRats said:

Not for someone that doesn't have a crush on the tart, no.
    Memo to DC: Every book you publish should be targeted exactly to @Bralinator's "taste". To hell with everybody else who might want to read something different. Forget about about pleasing the new readership you discovered, there's only one reader who matters.
  • Options
    Oh, I took your initial response to be explaining why the new Starfire title is nearly indistinguishable from Harley Quinn, but that was okay because Harley is DC's best selling character after Batman, so who cares?

Now I see your angle: Attention comic fans, if something isn't to your taste, especially if it's a Marvel or DC project, don't dare mention it to anyone or you might hurt another fan's feelings or even get a few insults thrown at you. God forbid you're not politically correct in your tastes. DC / Marvel apologists can be very thin-skinned when it comes to their favorite properties.
  • Options

Oh, I took your initial response to be explaining why the new Starfire title is nearly indistinguishable from Harley Quinn, but that was okay because Harley is DC's best selling character after Batman, so who cares?

Now I see your angle: Attention comic fans, if something isn't to your taste, especially if it's a Marvel or DC project, don't dare mention it to anyone or you might hurt another fan's feelings or even get a few insults thrown at you. God forbid you're not politically correct in your tastes. DC / Marvel apologists can be very thin-skinned when it comes to their favorite properties.

Not "comic fans", just you.

You took my original post correctly.

I took your reply not as "politically incorrect", just asinine.
  • Options
    Yawn.

You might be shocked to learn that not every comic fan thinks the current incarnation of Harley Quinn is all that special and their opinions are valid. And yes, I said comic fans, not fan-boys.
  • Options

Yawn.

Speaking of asinine...

You might be shocked to learn that not every comic fan thinks the current incarnation of Harley Quinn is all that special and their opinions are valid. And yes, I said comic fans, not fan-boys.

You might be shocked to realize there are enough comics already being published for those "fans", and said fans are in no way being slighted by the existence of comics that are not specifically tailored for them.

DC is not invalidating anyone's opinion. It is finally also validating the opinions of others besides the old guard. (and as a card-carrying member of the old guard, I applaud them for doing so)

• Options
    WetRats said:

Yawn.

Speaking of asinine...

You might be shocked to realize there are enough comics already being published for those "fans", and said fans are in no way being slighted by the existence of comics that are not specifically tailored for them.

DC is not invalidating anyone's opinion. It is finally also validating the opinions of others besides the old guard. (and as a card-carrying member of the old guard, I applaud them for doing so)

Does that membership of the "old guard" come with unlimited use of the steam room?
  • Options

WetRats said:

Yawn.

Speaking of asinine...

Does that membership of the "old guard" come with unlimited use of the steam room?
    Used to.

Back in the glory days.

Now the steam room is full of unsorted boxes of old fanzines and APAs.
  • Options
    Everyone is entitled to an opinion. As for the current versions of Harley Quinn and Starfire, mine is "pants," I don't expect you to care, or for DC to care. Just wanted to share it as it is understood that in a comment thread all perspectives are being solicited.

(Missing the Disagree button again...)
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Starfire, Harley Quinn, Terra, Power Girl—it's just what Palmiotti and Conner do.
  • Options
    popestupopestu Posts: 782
    I am currently only reading JLA (Hitch) and Justice League (Darkseid War).
  • Options
    popestupopestu Posts: 782
    popestu said:

I am currently only reading JLA (Hitch) and Justice League (Darkseid War).

Many of my DC sheckles are going to Image.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794

Starfire, Harley Quinn, Terra, Power Girl—it's just what Palmiotti and Conner do.

And do well.
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

And do well.
    Yes.

Very.

But not all they do.

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    WetRats said:

But not all they do.

Sure, but when DC announces a title featuring a female lead with Palmiotti and Conner as part of the creative team, you can expect a certain tone. That's all I'm saying.
  • Options

WetRats said:

But not all they do.

Sure, but when DC announces a title featuring a female lead with Palmiotti and Conner as part of the creative team, you can expect a certain tone. That's all I'm saying.
    And I am agreeing.

Both with you, and with DC giving them more work.