Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Hating on Marvel?

Apparently it has become trendy, common, or rote to bash on DC, especially the DCCU. And according to @Matt (MIA for a while) the level of hate increases if you eliminate the multiple posts by the same "MCU fanboys" and those people who just don't care for the Man of Steel movie.

To test if it's only trendy to bash DC, this thread is to sound-off for any skepticism, cynicism, or "haters" that have any complaints about the way Marvel publishing operates or how the MCU is being handled?

Relative to DC or exclusively is fine.

'MCU fanboys' and 'DC apologists' are encouraged to participate.

Comments

• Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    Well the new FF movie looks horrible... so i'm not watching that in theaters. Or does Fox Marvel not count?

I thought Days of Future Past movie sucked and all the Wolverine solo movies were garbage.

I think Age of Ultron was pretty weak and only saw it once in theaters instead of 3x for the first one.

I think a lot of people are griping about the diversity push in Marvel comics, even though I support it.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited July 2015
    I changed thread title to make this a little clearer as a counterpoint.

That is, if I am assuming correctly, you want this to be an actual discussion that answers the question you are asking (which was @Matt 's intention in that other discussion the intention of the thread you are building this out of) rather than simply making a parody of another discussion.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    mwhitt80 said:

Boy this week has been a negative one. I think we should all go outside and play for a little bit.
    It will remind us why we love comics and air conditioning.

The sun... it BURNS!
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Thanks @David_D you're always so positive, it's both refreshing and unsettling at times. I'm not sure if it was meant to be a parody or serious issue. I've noticed other than a few random comments, most people seem to be pleased with Marvel, other than their creeping towards a $4.99 cover price average.

BTW, I hated the first Doctor Strange movie!
  • Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    Judging by social media, Marvel fans sure seem convinced they are going to hate the new FF movie, especially with Thing not wearing bikini bottoms. They had a good laugh over the hot spicy Italian version of Aunt May and are prepared to hate that too. It's not like Marvel fans applaud everything they see.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    I get most things in trade so my opinion my change later but...

I was a DC guy but I am pretty much uninterested in nearly all of their new stuff - except for their digital first titles.

I am more excited for Marvel than I have been in years. Everything I have been hearing about Secret Wars makes me excited to read it. I got Hickman's run on FF and Avengers so that I am not lost. I am going to try several of the Secret War tie ins and will get some of the post secret wars series. I have only been getting two titles - Daredevil and Thor. I may be up to around 12 Marvel titles very soon.

Price point is the one thing that I dislike. The prices for Marvel trades seem to either staying the same or going up with less content - 5 issue trades. The next price increase could price me out of some titles.

I think Marvel is trying diversity in the best way they can but I can see how it may appear to some that it is being pushed down the fans throat. I am not sure though if that is Marvel's doing or the doing of the various comic news sources.

I love the movies but I wonder how long the bubble can last until the general audience gets sick of it and stops going. There is so much stuff being put out or getting ready to be put out by both companies (tv & movies) that I think that something will have to give. I just do not know when that will happen.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited July 2015
    RickM said:

Judging by social media, Marvel fans sure seem convinced they are going to hate the new FF movie, especially with Thing not wearing bikini bottoms. They had a good laugh over the hot spicy Italian version of Aunt May and are prepared to hate that too. It's not like Marvel fans applaud everything they see.

This bothers me more than the (lack of) pants:

I don't care what they try to say ..that's not Doctor Doom.

It's like the He-Man movie all over again. What I mean is that when I was a kid I was SO excited for the He-Man movie but it was garbage. Somebody decided to change everything because you couldn't make it like the cartoon. Or how about the Super Mario movie..remember that? I get the same vibe here. Just enough is the same so you can use the title but so much is changed that fans barely recognize the characters they love.

• Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

... @Matt (MIA for a while)...

Miss me?!

http://youtu.be/Vg6hYUph0s8

M
  • Options
    bamfbamf said:

Well the new FF movie looks horrible... so i'm not watching that in theaters. Or does Fox Marvel not count?

I thought Days of Future Past movie sucked and all the Wolverine solo movies were garbage.

I think Age of Ultron was pretty weak and only saw it once in theaters instead of 3x for the first one.

I think a lot of people are griping about the diversity push in Marvel comics, even though I support it.

If you state GotG was the best of the MCU, then we really have differing opinions. I thought DoFP was the best X-Men, (nostalgia aside) The Wolverine was by far my favorite comic book movie, & AoU wrapped me in more then the first one.

M
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited July 2015
    Matt said:

Miss me?!

M
    A: Yes.

How the hell else was this conversation going to become about Batman?? ;)
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    David_D said:

Matt said:

Miss me?!

M

If this conversation becomes about Batman, I guarantee you I will then make it about the Beatles.

You've been warned.
  • Options
    Evening639Evening639 Posts: 368
    edited July 2015

David_D said:

Matt said:

Miss me?!

M

If this conversation becomes about Batman, I guarantee you I will then make it about the Beatles.

You've been warned.
    @nweathington Can we just turn this into a Beatles thread anyway? I really don't feel like being all that negative about Marvel right now nor do I desire to discuss Batman but you've peaked my interest with the suggestion of Beatles.

• Options

David_D said:

Matt said:

Miss me?!

M

You've been warned.
    @nweathington Can we just turn this into a Beatles thread anyway? I really don't feel like being all that negative about Marvel right now nor do I desire to discuss Batman but you've peaked my interest with the suggestion of Beatles.

Sorry, it's something of a running gag. But if you rrrreaaaally want, we could talk about that time Marvel did a comic book adaptation of Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    Why can't we have Batman and The Beatles?

What about a Batman 66 story arc where Batman meets the Beatles?

Would that be @Matt least favorite Batman story of all time?
  • Options

Why can't we have Batman and The Beatles?

What about a Batman 66 story arc where Batman meets the Beatles?

Would that be @Matt least favorite Batman story of all time?

If Morrison is cowriting it with Scott Snyder with a Humberto Ramos cover & Kelley Jones interiors, hands down it would be my least favorite.

M
  • Options

David_D said:

Matt said:

Miss me?!

M

You've been warned.

Sorry, it's something of a running gag. But if you rrrreaaaally want, we could talk about that time Marvel did a comic book adaptation of Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band.
    Is that real? Please say that's real. If so, I've got to get it into my life.

• Options

The Sgt. Pepper's movie (the one that starred the Bee Gees) was adapted in Marvel Super Special #7, but was never released inside the United States for some reason—probably something to do with licensing rights. Interiors penciled by George Pérez (who hated working on this project), inked by Jim Mooney, with a cover painted by Tom Palmer over George's pencil sketch (though this cover wasn't used for every foreign language edition).

But you can find Marvel Comics Super Special #4, which was a biographic account of the Beatles, and was also penciled by George (this story he really enjoyed doing), this time inked by Klaus Janson with a cover by Tom Palmer.

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Matt said:

Miss me?!

M
    Welcome back @Matt

• Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392

The Sgt. Pepper's movie (the one that starred the Bee Gees) was adapted in Marvel Super Special #7, but was never released inside the United States for some reason—probably something to do with licensing rights. Interiors penciled by George Pérez (who hated working on this project), inked by Jim Mooney, with a cover painted by Tom Palmer over George's pencil sketch (though this cover wasn't used for every foreign language edition).

But you can find Marvel Comics Super Special #4, which was a biographic account of the Beatles, and was also penciled by George (this story he really enjoyed doing), this time inked by Klaus Janson with a cover by Tom Palmer.

I've been looking for a reasonably priced copy of that for a long time. £50 is about the cheapest I've seen.

I might be mistaken... But didn't they also appear in an issue of FF sometime??

• Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511

David_D said:

Matt said:

Miss me?!

M

You've been warned.

I see what you did there!
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615

David_D said:

Matt said:

Miss me?!

M

You've been warned.

Can we skip more of the Beatles talk and talk about the time Marvel gave us the Billy Ray Cyrus comic
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

David_D said:

Matt said:

Miss me?!

M

You've been warned.

Can we skip more of the Beatles talk and talk about the time Marvel gave us the Billy Ray Cyrus comic
    Yes! You're the only other person who I've ever heard mention that! Wasn't he a time traveler in that comic?
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    edited July 2015
    I think he's à time travelling knight with the most glorious mullet. I've got it stuck away somewhere in my collection.

For the kids out there its Explanation Time with Cap'n Matt:
    For one berief moment in 1992 Billy Ray Cyrus was the biggest star in music with his mega hit Achy Breaky Heart.
    Since I can never remember how to embed YouTube's I'll leave it to someone else to post the video.

This was a decade before became famous for playing Hanna Montana's dad.
  • Options
    mphilmphil Posts: 448
    I think Marvel is doing a pretty poor job with their cosmic titles right now.

I thought Bendis' run on Guardians was terrible. I don't know why he thought turning a fun book into a serious space opera would be a good idea, but it wasn't.

Groot and Rocket Racoon are fine books but they are for kids, I can't get through an issue of either.

I haven't given the latest Nova a chance yet so who knows.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Speaking of Cosmic Marvel, has anything actually been done regarding the fallout of Original Sin other than Bucky Barnes becoming more Bucky O'Hare and Nick Jr. finally having Old Man Fury out of the way so he can watch reruns of Allegra's Window and Gullah Gullah Island whenever he wants?

I know there is (was?) a Bucky book. Has anybody read it? Is it any good? Does it deal with the broader Cosmic Marvel Universe or is it more like the recent Cyclops title?

• Options
    mphil said:

I think Marvel is doing a pretty poor job with their cosmic titles right now.

I thought Bendis' run on Guardians was terrible. I don't know why he thought turning a fun book into a serious space opera would be a good idea, but it wasn't.

Groot and Rocket Racoon are fine books but they are for kids, I can't get through an issue of either.

I haven't given the latest Nova a chance yet so who knows.

Nova and Guardians 3000 were the only books I stuck with. Bendis ruined GotG, Starlord started off strong but turned to crap, Black Vortex was terrible, and Rocket and Groot are silly(after DnA did such a great job with them these books are a step back, imho).

• Options
    edited July 2015

Speaking of Cosmic Marvel, has anything actually been done regarding the fallout of Original Sin other than Bucky Barnes becoming more Bucky O'Hare and Nick Jr. finally having Old Man Fury out of the way so he can watch reruns of Allegra's Window and Gullah Gullah Island whenever he wants?

I know there is (was?) a Bucky book. Has anybody read it? Is it any good? Does it deal with the broader Cosmic Marvel Universe or is it more like the recent Cyclops title?

The Bucky book was TERRIBLE! The art didn't make it easy to follow the action or who was even talking... and the story was boring:

Cyclops was great when Rucka wrote it. I highly recommend his issues.