Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Ghostbusters (2016) | Movie News/ Discussion *Now Spoilers*

Comments

• Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    David_D said:

luke52 said:

David_D said:

luke52 said:

Vigo was a man too. And the two in the courtroom were guys, I forget their name though.

But that librarian ghost was definitely female and scary as shit too!

True, though I was only talking about the first one. I don't remember the second one well enough to remember the ghosts in it.

Was Vigo a ghost? Or a possessed person, like Dana and Louis in the first one?
    I think a bit of both. Or maybe more mind control over Peter MacNicols character.
    Got it. And I forgot that Vigo was the name of the ghost inside McNichols' character. So that one was male. A dead, specific person from the past.

Although, in the first one it seemed like Louis, as the Keymaster, wasn't possessed by a specific ghost, that I remember. He didn't have Zhuul in him, like Dana, he seemed to just have ghosty energy in him that made him a sort of thrall with an important role to play in the ritual. So I actually wouldn't count whatever was in him as a male ghost, like Vigo.
    Louis was possessed by Vince Clortho - key master and opposite to Dana's Zhuul (note the Freudian imagery)
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Matt said:

Is this definitely a "reboot" as opposed to just another in the series? Extreme Ghostbusters was billed as a followed up TV series to The Real Ghostbusters.

M

They even featured the original Ghostbusters in a two-part episode. I believe they were voiced by their original animated voices.
  • Options
    Matt said:

Is this definitely a "reboot" as opposed to just another in the series? Extreme Ghostbusters was billed as a followed up TV series to The Real Ghostbusters.

M

As far as had been revealed, it's a total reboot. Wiig and McCarthey play scientists who discover proof of the existence of ghosts, while Jones and McKinnon are ghost-hunters that they eventually team up with. And now with Akroyd doing a non-Ray cameo, it seems even more likely.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited August 2015

there is no Harold Ramis and no Bill Murray, therefore this is a flawed production.

Looks like I was mistaken. The Hollywood Reporter has announced that Bill Murray has just signed on, along with Dan Aykroyd, to appear in the reboot.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/ghostbusters-bill-murray-appear-814125

Anxious to see how this works out, now.

• Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980

there is no Harold Ramis and no Bill Murray, therefore this is a flawed production.

Looks like I was mistaken. The Hollywood Reporter has announced that Bill Murray has just signed on, along with Dan Aykroyd, to appear in the reboot.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/ghostbusters-bill-murray-appear-814125

Anxious to see how this works out, now.

Well, they seem to be cameos. I expect them to be cameos in the same vein as Stan Lee makes in movies. Not going to affect the actual movie
  • Options
    Matt said:

mwhitt80 said:

I call it a reboot, but I guess you can decide for yourself.

Did fury road have an origin story of mad max? If not its just another mad max story and not a reboot.
    It did have some weird flashbacks to his daughter dying. In the original series it was a son. I enjoyed the original Mad Max and Road Warrior and this felt like just a new adventure, not necessarily a reboot, per say.
    Matt said:

<
    Again, only looking at this from a far & not watching the movie (yet), it appears to be like Superman Returns & the Bond movies (up to the Craig era). Seeing that one of the original creators stated essentially the same doesn't dissuade my thought.

M

That's a good observation. It actually sort of feels like a Craig-era bond without a new origin tale. This movie is very stylized and unique. It's unlike any film I've seen in years. It is non-stop, pedal-to-the-metal, jaw-dropping mayhem surrounded by beautiful cinematography. It feels like a mash-up of the best characters of a Sergio Leone western and the maddening machines of a Terry Gilliam film, while setting a new standard for cinematic thrills. This is an action movie that exemplifies poetry in motion. Hard to quantify, but considerably enjoyable. It's a film I intend to own in my collection and I do not own any of the previous three films. I would see the sequel to this.

Catch this in the cineplex if you still can.
    Trying to get time to see a movie in the theatre right now is like working a Rubik's cube. Needless to say, I'll catch on my home tv instead of theatre.

Mad Max has become the type of heroic figure I've found to become the most interesting. The John McClane (in the first 2), Snake Plissken, Jack Burton, Ash (in Army of Darkness) characters who aren't really heroes. They're the "this isn't my fight" mindset, but get thrusted into a fight due to personal circumstances (1 specific person, freedom, money, getting home, getting fuel, etc) instead of "because it's the right thing to do." He doesn't necessarily care about the cause.

M
    @Matt, I knew you'd enjoy it.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    I'm still not excited for this... Hopefully a trailer will get me going.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    luke52 said:

I'm still not excited for this... Hopefully a trailer will get me going.

McCarthy and Wiig pretty much kill any interest that I had in it.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    That's a bad a$$ photo. Looking forward to it.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

imageimageimageimage

I think Wiig is funny, but when did she become used as sex appeal? That solo promo poster just seems...off once I realized it was Wiig.

M
  • Options
    Yeah, nothing here screams "sex appeal" to me, but I don't think I'm the target demo for this project. And if you've read this entire thread, you've probably already guessed that by now.
  • Options

Yeah, nothing here screams "sex appeal" to me, but I don't think I'm the target demo for this project. And if you've read this entire thread, you've probably already guessed that by now.

I'm not saying she or any of the other actresses have to add sex appeal. In fact, I never thought it was going to have it.

The first time I even thought of sex appeal with this movie was Wiig's solo promo poster. It reminds me of the Sienna Miller/Baroness poster for the GIJoe movie. I also immediately thought of ScarJo before I remembered who it actually was.

M
  • Options
    Oh, I never thought it would have sex appeal either, nor would I say these posters are trying to be "sexy." They just look like the type of modern tone-deaf posters Sony would release. How far away this sequel is from the original, rag tag foursome is glaring in this campaign. I think Sony is planning on this reboot to be more high tech, scarier, and with a bit less charm than the original.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    The only question this thing needs to answer is.... will 'bustin still make you feel good?

Hey, blame Ray Parker jr for that!
  • Options
    For those that don't know, Ray Parker Jr settled out of court with Huey Lewis and the News over his theme song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7DNAiC27FQ
  • Options
    I forget -- is this a comedy!?
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879

I forget -- is this a comedy!?

Well, it does have me laughing at it.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited December 2015
    I didn't realize it was already out.

It seems a number of you have already seen it and know how it is. Funny. I think I have only seen a handful of photos.
  • Options
    I don't think I see where anyone claimed to have seen it @David_D I only see forum members critiquing the marketing campaign and gauging their reactions to the press regarding the film. Surely that isn't prohibited.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

I don't think I see where anyone claimed to have seen it @David_D I only see forum members critiquing the marketing campaign and gauging their reactions to the press regarding the film. Surely that isn't prohibited.

I don't think I see where anyone suggested something was prohibited.

Nor is it prohibited to react to the reactions and negativity popping up around a movie we know and have seen so little of yet.

But, I suppose that is to be expected. Change is hard. Reboots meet resistance.
  • Options
    Just for the old curmudgeons that don't want them to mess with the perfection of a classic; not for those with little experience with the original or those daughters who really want to see the new version.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Just for the old curmudgeons that don't want them to mess with the perfection of a classic; not for those with little experience with the original or those daughters who really want to see the new version.

Speaking only for myself, I have a huge love of the originals. Was a Ghostbuster for Halloween back in the 80s (my favorite of all costumes. It helps that my mom is very talented at crafting, and made a killer proton pack and neutrino wand out of cardboard and colored electrical tape). But I am also game for them to try something new. And to have another version for my daughters to see someday if they want. (My oldest, who loves the idea of Ghostbusters and has comics and video games for them came to a screening of the original at the Film Forum a few months ago. It was too scary for her for now. So, we'll wait a bit.)

And, when it comes to whether I think a reboot are going to mess with the classic? Well, to paraphrase the old James M. Cain quote-- 'The originals? They haven't done anything to them. They are right there on my shelf.'
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    No, just passive aggressively implied certain opinions are unwelcome and less "evolved" than others.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    batlaw said:

No, just passive aggressively implied certain opinions are unwelcome and less "evolved" than others.

If that is what you want to read into it, that is your choice. Though it was not in what I actually typed, or feel. I made no value judgments. Nor said that something was unwelcome.

Rather, I added my own opinion to the mix that, when it comes to this movie, it seems the rush to thumbs down is coming faster than usual. Maybe that is how the hype cycle has picked up speed. But I feel like we at least get a first trailer before we know what something is enough to know that we hate it. But, so it goes.
  • Options
    I think that they ain't afraID of no ghosts! image
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I think that they look great. I don't get the outfits though. The stripes seems an odd choice to me. It almost seems like prison garbs. I'm curious to see this though.
  • Options
    I want to make sure I'm clear here, I wasn't bashing a movie I haven't seen. I'm familiar with 2 of the 4 (& know Hemsworth can be funny too) not to question if it'll be flat. I just questioned Wiig's promo poster as it wasn't something I'd seen from her before.

M