Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Netflix/Streaming/TV--- Whatcha watching?

Comments

• Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    About to start the second season of Orphan Black.
  • Options

About to start the second season of Orphan Black.

I'll be finishing up Season 1 this week.
  • Options
    popestupopestu Posts: 782
    WetRats said:

Currently, I'm watching the fourth season of New Tricks.

I just looked that up: looks good.

I'll probably check it out when I need a break from 30 Rock, which I just started.
    No breaks are necessary for 30 Rock.

• Options
    I'm rewatching Gurren Lagann (on Hulu...I didn't want to start a new thread and both services are paid streaming, so I went for it)
  • Options
    popestu said:

I'm rewatching Gurren Lagann (on Hulu...I didn't want to start a new thread and both services are paid streaming, so I went for it)

That's ok, we talk about Amazon Prime here too.
  • Options
    popestu said:

• Options
    edited July 2015
  • Options
    edited July 2015
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Not Netflix so much as Amazon prime instant video. I'm about midway through season four (4) of Justified and am loving the hell out if it.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    random73 said:

Not Netflix so much as Amazon prime instant video. I'm about midway through season four (4) of Justified and am loving the hell out if it.

What a great series!
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Just finished up series 2 of House of Cards, love this series! Straight on to series 3 now.
  • Options
    Just finished watching the documentary "The Wrecking Crew" and give it 5 frekking sweers! Great music, archival footage, and interesting stories from a lot of folks you have never heard of - but have heard all of their music. In addition to being a great documentary, it is a beautiful tribute from a loving son to his parents.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741

Just finished watching the documentary "The Wrecking Crew" and give it 5 frekking sweers! Great music, archival footage, and interesting stories from a lot of folks you have never heard of - but have heard all of their music. In addition to being a great documentary, it is a beautiful tribute from a loving son to his parents.

Ooh, hadn't heard of this one. I'll have to check it out. Carol Kaye was pretty awesome.
  • Options

Ooh, hadn't heard of this one. I'll have to check it out. Carol Kaye was pretty awesome.
    She is featured quite a bit.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

DVD only...
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    edited July 2015
    Bojack Horseman season 2
    I destroyed season last year when it came out and was pleasantly surprised to find season 2 sitting in my que last week.

Via hulu
    Black Dynamite season 2

Axe Cop - I think when I started reading Axe Cop I had a 4 strips to catch up on, now it's a 15 minute cartoon on fox. It reminds me of the 1990s when a handful of indie creators got TV deals for cartoons (Tick, Fish Police, Maxx, Sam & Max)
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

It reminds me of the 1990s when a handful of indie creators got TV deals for cartoons (Tick, Fish Police, Maxx, Sam & Max)

TMNT?

Biggest indie success ever?
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    edited July 2015
    WetRats said:

mwhitt80 said:

It reminds me of the 1990s when a handful of indie creators got TV deals for cartoons (Tick, Fish Police, Maxx, Sam & Max)

TMNT?

I completely forgot about TMNT. What a brain fart. I would have to say yes biggest indie success ever.

No one could have guessed that TMNT would have blown up like it did.
  • Options
    RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

WetRats said:

mwhitt80 said:

TMNT?

I completely forgot about TMNT. What a brain fart. I would have to say yes biggest indie success ever.

No one could have guessed that TMNT would have blown up like it did.
    An insane fluke.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    That reminds me, a former public radio show/ podcast called State of the Reunion, in their episode on comics, did a segment about the impact that the Turtles' wild success had on the town of Northampton, MA.

You can hear the segment by itself on Soundcloud here.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    just watched a documentary on The Amazing Randi called An Honest Liar. fascinating.
  • Options
    JulienaeJulienae Posts: 23
    The 100!

OK... full disclosure. I'm biased (I'm currently writing on S3), but seriously guys, before I got this gig I checked out the show. It's dark, intense, and action-packed. (Get thru the first 3 with a slight teeny-bopper vibe) and the rest is non-stop. S1 on Netflix, S2 coming soon... ok, back to my writing hole. :) But curious if any of my fellow comic book readers have seen it and enjoyed. It's not a DC property like Flash or Arrow, but it's sci-fi, ergo my interest in your interest. Mkaybai.
  • Options
    RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327
    That's awesome! Congrats!
  • Options
    DmanDman Posts: 163
    edited July 2015
    If you like documentaries about filmmaking, particularly ones that involved specific problematic film shoots, then I can't recommend enough Lost Soul: The Doomed Journey of Richard Stanley's Island of Dr. Moreau. My God! This was the film shoot from hell and it confirms one thing. Actor Val Kilmer is an ASS! Seriously, documentary was fascinating; like car wreck fascinating.
  • Options
    I'm also checking out and enjoying the series Bloodline. Very compelling stuff.
  • Options
    Dman said:

If you like documentaries about filmmaking, particularly ones that involved specific problematic film shoots, then I can't recommend enough Lost Soul: The Doomed Journey of Richard Stanley's Island of Dr. Moreau. My God! This was the film shoot from hell and it confirms one thing. Actor Val Kilmer is an ASS! Seriously, documentary was fascinating; like car wreck fascinating.

Thanks for the heads up on that-- I am fascinated by Brando (we even named a cat after him), and first saw a feature about this doc in EW. I didn't realize it was now out, and on Netflix. Thanks!
  • Options
    David_D said:

Dman said:

Thanks for the heads up on that-- I am fascinated by Brando (we even named a cat after him), and first saw a feature about this doc in EW. I didn't realize it was now out, and on Netflix. Thanks!
    David, Brando's performance in On the Waterfront is my all time favorite male acting performance. With that said, he doesn't come off in this doc that much better than Vain Val. I'll say no more but when you see it, I would be most interested in your thoughts.
    :smile:

• Options
    Dman said:

David_D said:

Dman said:

David, Brando's performance in On the Waterfront is my all time favorite male acting performance. With that said, he doesn't come off in this doc that much better than Vain Val. I'll say no more but when you see it, I would be most interested in your thoughts.
    :smile:

Thanks for that, as that is fair warning. I think part of my fascination with him is the huge impact his early work had on stage and film acting in America, but then his later acting out and self-destruction, while nothing to admire, is also a compelling thing to see. It is sometimes hard to know how much he was in control of it all, how much his later career ended up being a grand act of satire on Hollywood movies. A sort of Andy Kaufman-esque piece of performance art, played across years. Or, maybe he was just out of control, past the time when he was exciting and relevant, and merely selfish and childish. That is possible, too. But I have been pretty fascinated by him for a long time. An excellent, warts-and-all but not bent on exploitation and tawdry details book about him is Somebody: The Reckless and Remarkable Career of Marlon Brando by Stefan Kanfer. It is also a good audiobook, which is how I "read" it. What I liked is how well Kanfer captured just how exciting and influential he was early in his career. For those of us that saw more of his work when he was starting to become more of a joke or a parody of himself, it helped to cement who he was when he was the best actor of his generation, when he actually CHANGED acting.

And Dr. Moreau is a pretty flagrant example of Brando in all his worst excesses. Looking forward to the documentary about it. But I know it will be filled with a lot of cringeworthy bad behavior.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    My slow, chronological viewing of all things Star Trek has brought me to the last episode of Deep Space 9. I've really enjoyed DS9 but this last season has been a chore to get through.