Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Netflix/Streaming/TV--- Whatcha watching?

Comments

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    Mr_Cosmic said:

My slow, chronological viewing of all things Star Trek has brought me to the last episode of Deep Space 9. I've really enjoyed DS9 but this last season has been a chore to get through.

DS9 is my favorite star trek show. That probably means I'm not a real Trekkie but I used to love that show
  • Options
    DmanDman Posts: 163
    mwhitt80 said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

My slow, chronological viewing of all things Star Trek has brought me to the last episode of Deep Space 9. I've really enjoyed DS9 but this last season has been a chore to get through.

DS9 is my favorite star trek show. That probably means I'm not a real Trekkie but I used to love that show
    I'm a lifelong Trekkie and I think, as many others, that DS9 is overall the best written, acted, and produced ever. I particularly thought it's last two seasons and the Dominion War story arc was the best.

• Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    My wife and I are in the middle of season two of DS9. I didn't enjoy it when it originally aired. I was much more content with TNG, but it's really growing on me. My wife commented last night that she gets a Stargate SG-1 vibe from it. I think I agree, except the whole universe hopping. I also read somewhere that fans really don't like seasons 1 and 2, and that it comes into its own at about s3. I've mostly enjoyed what we've seen so far. It feels like Star Trek, but also distinctly different. Not sure if we're going to watch anymore Star Trek after this though.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited August 2015
    The revelation of Sisko's mother was a little hard to swallow.

Personally, I enjoyed it more before the whole Dominion stuff started.

TNG is still my favorite but DS9 is a close second. Since I'm doing this chronologically I'm switching between seasons of Voyager and DS9. I've been having a much tougher time getting into Voyager - though it does seem to be getting better.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Dman said:

I'm a lifelong Trekkie and I think, as many others, that DS9 is overall the best written, acted, and produced ever. I particularly thought it's last two seasons and the Dominion War story arc was the best.

I agree, and yet Babylon 5 still blows it away for my money.
  • Options
    I'm in the middle of a TOS rewatch after having completed TNG. I also wanted to do a chronological watch through but I just don't enjoy DS9. I thought I might skip straight to Voyager, which I always liked.
  • Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    I saw the Hayao Miyazaki Studio Ghibli documentary last night... it's called The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness... it left me feeling the same way i feel after watching his movies... whimsical, depressed and hopeful at the same time...
  • Options
    bamfbamf said:

I saw the Hayao Miyazaki Studio Ghibli documentary last night... it's called The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness... it left me feeling the same way i feel after watching his movies... whimsical, depressed and hopeful at the same time...

Is that on Netflix?
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    I finally finished watching Netflix's fantastic Daredevil series.
  • Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    mwhitt80 said:

bamfbamf said:

Is that on Netflix?
    yes it is, just search for Miyazaki
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Slogging through Wet Hot Summer: First Day of Camp.

It's not very funny, but it is amusing in a meta kind of way.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    WetRats said:

I'm watching this too. I just keep thinking 'this is so weird'.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    WetRats said:

Were you a fan of the film?

My wife and I love the film - it was actually the first movie we watched together - but I was a little unimpressed by the first episode. I have a feeling that filling four hours is going to stretch the concept past the point of working. I kept thinking "This scene would have been cut if they were doing a 90 minute film".
  • Options
    chrisw said:

WetRats said:

My wife and I love the film - it was actually the first movie we watched together - but I was a little unimpressed by the first episode. I have a feeling that filling four hours is going to stretch the concept past the point of working. I kept thinking "This scene would have been cut if they were doing a 90 minute film".
    I came late to the film, but enjoy it.

I think it's wonderful that this project happened, and clearly everyone involved had fun.

I appreciate and admire what they've done, I just don't think it's very funny.
  • Options
    chrisw said:

WetRats said:

I have this in my "get around to watch someday" queue. I was not much of a fan of the film, but I am a big fan of a lesser known and lesser seen Michael Showalter vehicle, The Baxter.
  • Options
    It's like they've set up an elaborate series of semaphore towers and every joke is laboriously telegraphed before it is delivered.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

chrisw said:

WetRats said:

I think it's wonderful that this project happened, and clearly everyone involved had fun.

I was just wondering because I think even the small enjoyment I did have of that first episode came from knowing the characters and expecting certain jokes.

It says a lot that even though it was only a half hour, when I asked my wife if she wanted to watch the next one, she said "Not tonight."

I think the only thing I found truly funny was when Michael Showalter groaned like an old man when he got up from a cot, playing up just how ridiculous it is for them to be playing teenagers.

I'm hoping things pick up when Christopher Meloni turns up, as we thought Gene was the best thing about the film.
  • Options
    chrisw said:

WetRats said:

chrisw said:

WetRats said:

I was just wondering because I think even the small enjoyment I did have of that first episode came from knowing the characters and expecting certain jokes.

It says a lot that even though it was only a half hour, when I asked my wife if she wanted to watch the next one, she said "Not tonight."

I think the only thing I found truly funny was when Michael Showalter groaned like an old man when he got up from a cot, playing up just how ridiculous it is for them to be playing teenagers.

I'm hoping things pick up when Christopher Meloni turns up, as we thought Gene was the best thing about the film.
    Meloni is great.

He brings a crazed enthusiasm that is truly enjoyable.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

chrisw said:

WetRats said:

chrisw said:

WetRats said:

Meloni is great.

My favorite scenes from the film are actually two deleted ones on the DVD, both involving Meloni trying to get a girl to eat some corn. I'm always forgetting they're not actually in the film, so people are confused when I bring them up.
  • Options
    chrisw said:

WetRats said:

chrisw said:

WetRats said:

chrisw said:

WetRats said:

Meloni is great.

My favorite scenes from the film are actually two deleted ones on the DVD, both involving Meloni trying to get a girl to eat some corn. I'm always forgetting they're not actually in the film, so people are confused when I bring them up.
    It ends fairly well.

I never laughed out loud, but It did make me want to promptly watch the original again, and I think it made the original slightly funnier.
  • Options
    Curb Your Enthusiasm on Amazon Prime has taken up my viewing time this weekend
  • Options
    DmanDman Posts: 163
    edited August 2015
    OMG! After this weekend, I feel like I'm Netflix' bitch, and I mean that in a good way. I'm totally hooked on four of their shows: Daredevil, which I finished some time ago, Bloodline, Sense8, and Grace and Frankie. I've finished Bloodline last week, halfway through Grace and Frankie, and about 3 episodes into Sense8. Bloodline is some awesomely written dark family drama. Grace and Frankie is the funniest show I've seen since Modern Family. I love the 9 to 5 film and even though I'm getting 2/3 of the 9 to 5 reunion with Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin (Dolly Parton announced last week that she would love to show up next season) I love getting reintroduced to their amazing chemistry. Sense 8 is some great psychological sci-fi drama. The premise is just simply awesome and the location shoots are the best thing on TV next to Game of Thrones.
  • Options
    I watched the Rock's Hercules.

Not good, but entertaining.

Worth it for Ian McShane.
  • Options
    (This might be a bit off topic)

I heard on the news today that TNT, the most watched prime time cable channel, is hemorrhaging viewers. More proof, they say, that people are moving to Netflix and the like. I admit, in our house we DVR some shows, watch a few when they air, and devour Netflix and Amazon.

The only problem with this is that cable companies are fighting back by implementing data caps. We have one cable provider where I live and they added them about a year ago. If you go over your cap it's $10 for each 10GB you go over. I have a 350GB cap and with a wife and three kids we end up bumping up against the limit by the end of each month. The cable provider suggests bumping up the internet speed to get an extra 100GB..for another $20 a month.

I'd love so badly to just watch online shows only but these stupid data caps make it impossible.

/end rant
  • Options
    Just finished the final season of Warehouse 13 (I'm gonna miss that show) and am about to start the second season of The Newsroom.
  • Options

Just finished the final season of Warehouse 13 (I'm gonna miss that show)

I may have missed it if you mentioned it earlier but have you watched Eureka? Great show and there's even a crossover with W13.

• Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Just finished the final season of Warehouse 13 (I'm gonna miss that show)

I may have missed it if you mentioned it earlier but have you watched Eureka? Great show and there's even a crossover with W13.

Yeah, I finished up the last season for that last year. Same reaction: I loved it, and I'll miss it. I may eventually try to get the season sets for my video library when finances loosen up a bit more.
  • Options
    KilmarockKilmarock Posts: 174
    Alias (Season 3) almost done - Not great but still fun

Parks & Recreation (Season 5) - still great

Doctor Who (2005 - Season 7) - finally got around to watching Name of and Day of the Doctor; Name of was good; Day of blew me away; so good to see Rose and Dave Tennant in this one plus that other guy from the original series

House of Cards (Season 1) - I'm five episodes in and I think the show is finally starting to grow on me; I watched the BBC version a few years ago and I can't help but compare the two shows

Maron (Season 2) - sometimes I love it, sometimes I don't, I've been listening to his podcast for about 5 years and this pales in comparison to that

30 Rock (Season 1) - lots of fun

Hit and Miss - 2 episodes in, 4 to go; interesting show, probably not everyone's cup of tea
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I recently watched the first Terminator on it. Lord, that 80's hair!
  • Options

I recently watched the first Terminator on it. Lord, that 80's hair!

It's funny, people are always saying that at the time, they didn't know the hair/clothing that was popular when they were younger was going to look so bad years later.

But all through the '80s, I knew. In my high school every girl had those insanely poofed up bangs. And most guys had mullets. I may have had a boring crew cut or a part, but I knew I wasn't going to look at my yearbook decades later and feel like an idiot.

Now I am a little surprised when I look back at the '90s, because I honestly didn't think there were many embarrassing trends going on, but they look pretty dated now as well. I hadn't realized just how damn bright the colors were back then (when we weren't wearing flannel from '92-'94).