Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Netflix/Streaming/TV--- Whatcha watching?

Comments

• Options

America's Test Kitchen. Season 14.. Love this should..

I wish I could agree to this 100 times. There is something else coming from Netflix soon that I can't really talk about (I haven't even seen a press release for it yet) that is pretty amazing for people interested in food. I'm excited to talk about it when it finally drops.
  • Options
    Halt and Catch Fire (Season 1) - In 1983, a small electronics company in Dallas tries to get into the personal computer market. Loved all 5 of the core cast and how the characters play off of one another. It was interesting to see Lee Pace play such a different character than he did on Pushing Daisies. Loved all the twists and turns as they go from square 1 to COMDEX. Can't wait for season 2 to hit Netflix.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615

Per NPR Chris Kimball is leaving the test kitchen. He had a disagreement about his contract. It will be after the 2016 season.

He has a new show coming; so maybe that has something to do with @playdohsrepublic cryptic post
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Wrapped up Wolf Hall on Amazon Prime the other night. I quite liked it.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Per NPR Chris Kimball is leaving the test kitchen. He had a disagreement about his contract. It will be after the 2016 season.

He has a new show coming; so maybe that has something to do with @playdohsrepublic cryptic post
    I wish it did. I was sad to see he was leaving the show.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I just got my father into Daredevil. He loved the first episode!
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Again, not Netflix, but the first episode of The Expanse is up for streaming on the SyFy website. It's not a perfect adaptation of the book series, but it seems to uphold the promise that this was going to be a return to the early BSG Syfy and not the Sharknado / Flash Gordon SyFy.
  • Options
    We are starting to the final season of Chuck on Netflix.

I finally started watching the Sopranos on Amazon. Its kinda funny seeing all the payphones everywhere, one day we will have to explain phone booths and why the mob used them instead of their cells.
    Maybe just show them the first few episodes of the Wire
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

We are starting to the final season of Chuck on Netflix.

I finally started watching the Sopranos on Amazon. Its kinda funny seeing all the payphones everywhere, one day we will have to explain phone booths and why the mob used them instead of their cells.
    Maybe just show them the first few episodes of the Wire

I never finished the last half of the final season of Chuck. I really should. heroes Renorn has reminded me how much I miss Zachary Levi.

• Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Started watching about half of Chaos on the Bridge during my run this morning. I thought it was new, but it's dated 2014. It's a documentary on the drama surrounding Roddenberry and Paramount's attempt to reboot Star Trek with a new series called Star Trek: The Next Generation. So far it's interesting and engaging.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    fredzilla said:

Started watching about half of Chaos on the Bridge during my run this morning. I thought it was new, but it's dated 2014. It's a documentary on the drama surrounding Roddenberry and Paramount's attempt to reboot Star Trek with a new series called Star Trek: The Next Generation. So far it's interesting and engaging.

Just to be clear, did you watch it on Amazon Prime? Or Netflix DVD?
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131

fredzilla said:

Just to be clear, did you watch it on Amazon Prime? Or Netflix DVD?
    Netflix streaming. It came up as suggested for me. The missus and I are almost done with DS9 after watching the original series and TNG.
  • Options
    American Horror Story, season, baby!
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    I'm trying Hulu for a bit and noticed they had some Criterion films. So far I've watched Watership Down really liked it. Then followed up with Stagecoach. Great film.

I also watched Bad Grandpa. I was surprised how much I laughed.

And on Netflix for some reason the Nic Cage Left Behind. Yeeesh
  • Options
    DAR said:

So far I've watched Watership Down really liked it.

What are our school systems coming to when they stop showing Watership Down in class? Also: read the book. It's even better.
  • Options
    DAR said:

Then followed up with Stagecoach.

Everything Orson Welles learned about how to make a movie prior to making Citizen Kane, he learned from watching Stagecoach. The rest he made up as he went along.
  • Options

DAR said:

So far I've watched Watership Down really liked it.

What are our school systems coming to when they stop showing Watership Down in class? Also: read the book. It's even better.
    Mommies and daddies that got to skip substitute teacher days are scared their little angel, that is youtubing donkey shows on their smart phones, will be traumatized by a scary cartoon.

This why college campuses are becoming... nevermind
  • Options
    A couple of things...

I'm through the first few episodes of The Flash, which I'm enjoying a lot.

And with my son, I started the Doctor Who reboot. Just finished Christopher Eccleston and starting David Tennant. I'm also using that as an excuse to go back and watch a few original series, currently on Pertwee's Carnival of Monsters.

Already went through Daredevil and can't wait for Season 2. That really got me back into comic book/sci fi mode in terms of my TV viewing.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792

A couple of things...

I'm through the first few episodes of The Flash, which I'm enjoying a lot.

And with my son, I started the Doctor Who reboot. Just finished Christopher Eccleston and starting David Tennant. I'm also using that as an excuse to go back and watch a few original series, currently on Pertwee's Carnival of Monsters.

Already went through Daredevil and can't wait for Season 2. That really got me back into comic book/sci fi mode in terms of my TV viewing.

I love Carnival of Monsters. When I came up to it during my marathon of all the eps a few months ago, it was a pleasant surprise. It may be the best stand-alone Pertwee story that doesn't have the baggage of UNIT, the Master, Daleks, etc. It almost feels like a trial run for the Tom Baker era.
  • Options
    chrisw said:

I love Carnival of Monsters. When I came up to it during my marathon of all the eps a few months ago, it was a pleasant surprise. It may be the best stand-alone Pertwee story that doesn't have the baggage of UNIT, the Master, Daleks, etc. It almost feels like a trial run for the Tom Baker era.

Out of curiousity, how did you handle getting all of the episodes for your marathon?

I had bought a bunch of individual stories through iTunes a few years back, mostly Pertwee and Baker. And I just bought some of the monsters series through iTunes as well (Daleks, Cybermen, and Davros). Beyond that, I've watched what Netflix and Amazon Prime have had available.

That fills out Pertwee and Baker almost completely. But for the majority of the Hartnell and Troughton episodes, it seems the only solution is to buy DVDs of all the episodes at around $20 per story. It's something I would do over time, but individually that's a lot of DVDs (and a lot of cost) at once.

Is there any other source of the shows I'm not considering?
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    I've been watching season 1 of the Flash. I like it.

And my Criterion watch on Hulu I watched the Hidden Fortress, loved it. Rashomon, not my favorite Kurosawa but still an excellent film. 8 1/2, didn't really care for this one.
  • Options
    DAR said:

I've been watching season 1 of the Flash. I like it.

And my Criterion watch on Hulu I watched the Hidden Fortress, loved it. Rashomon, not my favorite Kurosawa but still an excellent film. 8 1/2, didn't really care for this one.

Hidden Fortress is one of my favorite Kurosawa's. It never gets talked about, but I love that movie.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Hidden Fortress is one of my favorite Kurosawa's. It never gets talked about, but I love that movie.

I remember reading about Hidden Fortress as a kid in a Star Wars book I had that went over all the films that influenced Star Wars. I didn't get to see it until I was in my early 20s though. A very fun movie, especially by Kurosawa standards, but not his best by any means. I'm partial to Ran.
  • Options
    Watched a couple Star Trek:The Next Generation episodes this week from season 5:

The Perfect Mate - guest stars include Tim O'Conner (Dr. Huer from Buck Rogers) and Famke Janssen (Jean Grey/Phoenix from X-Men movies in her 1st TV role, I think) - not great but very good with a bit of a bittersweet ending

The Outcast - guest starring Melinda Culea (Amy Amanda Allen from the A-Team tv show) - excellent Ryker-centric episode with a powerful ending
  • Options

mwhitt80 said:

I remember reading about Hidden Fortress as a kid in a Star Wars book I had that went over all the films that influenced Star Wars. I didn't get to see it until I was in my early 20s though. A very fun movie, especially by Kurosawa standards, but not his best by any means. I'm partial to Ran.
    I love it because it is different, but my favorite maybe 7 Samurai. I'm not really a Rashamon fan
  • Options

mwhitt80 said:

Ran is a brilliant movie. I'm also very fond of Yojimbo. I agree on the Hidden Fortress comments. It's a good movie that most people only know because of Star Wars, but it stands well on its own. Not my favorite Kurosawa, but given how great most of his movies are, that's no slam.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792

chrisw said:

Out of curiousity, how did you handle getting all of the episodes for your marathon?

I had bought a bunch of individual stories through iTunes a few years back, mostly Pertwee and Baker. And I just bought some of the monsters series through iTunes as well (Daleks, Cybermen, and Davros). Beyond that, I've watched what Netflix and Amazon Prime have had available.

That fills out Pertwee and Baker almost completely. But for the majority of the Hartnell and Troughton episodes, it seems the only solution is to buy DVDs of all the episodes at around $20 per story. It's something I would do over time, but individually that's a lot of DVDs (and a lot of cost) at once.

Is there any other source of the shows I'm not considering?
    Years ago, I actually downloaded all of them off the Usenet. So, probably about ten years ago, since that's the last time I ever recall using Usenet Newsgroups. I think back then a lot of it wasn't on DVD yet, so it was the only way to see everything.

By the time I actually started my marathon a couple years ago, though, much of it was on DVD, and I'm lucky enough to live in a town with a good library system that so far has had virtually every one on their shelves. I ended up only needing my downloaded versions for the reconstructed episodes and a couple Hartnell stories that hadn't made it to DVD yet.

You can probably find the Recons through file sharing services, maybe even on YouTube. The BBC's typically let them pass as long as they don't conflict with any actual releases.
  • Options
    chrisw said:

You can probably find the Recons through file sharing services, maybe even on YouTube. The BBC's typically let them pass as long as they don't conflict with any actual releases.

Thanks for the tip! I'm working my way through Pertwee and Baker, while in parallel I'm going through Tennant with my son. Once I get through those, I will probably try to watch any many of the Hartnell/Troughton's as I can find, following your suggestion.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Oh how I wish "Very Murray Christmas" on Netflix was had actually been, you know, good. It was rather awkward, but hopefully it will be an annual tradition and find its way. There are certainly worse ways to spend 56 minutes on a December evening than watching it.

This coming from a huge Bill Murray fan.
  • Options
    Finishing up American Horror Story season 2. Good stuff, but I may need it take a break from it and watch another show.